Subliminal

Time To Trade Gasol?

It was bound to be said. In another thread, Chip first jokingly said trade him, followed by the inevitable utterings of our wise sage IIWII:

"Gasol recovering his value and the Dubs looking as vulnerable as they'll ever be  actually makes it the perfect time to trade him, well never get this opportunity again. Or we might sneak into the playoffs for a quick exit. I think I'd rather have some long term pieces."

Most of the realist/rebuild crowd had been resigned to the fact that Gasol was so bad now that we might as well keep him because his trade value was virtually worthless. Just curious what the realists and homers and everyone in between's thoughts are on this.

While getting from him at what "may" be his highest value that the Grizz will ever have now, at what cost would that come? It's hard to say really. As small of a chance that this team could win a title while Conley and Gasol are still here (and in their primes, mind you), you'd have to at least submit to the idea that shooting for the fences and having the stars align with health, luck and chemistry with what they have now may be a greater chance than they'll have by hedging their bets for future success by trading him for young talent.

Having him mentor 3J while enjoying team success may prove invaluable to Jaren. To be in a winning culture with an identity could be a big part of molding the youngster into his best self. Would exchanging the DNA of our team, while he still has top value be better for the franchise in the long run? Possibly, but it seems just as risky as rolling with what they have and trying to keep him. He probably has many more productive years, same with Conley.

Interested to see an honest discussion on the subject.

Everyone can be traded. The question isn't should the Grizzlies be looking at trades but what would you want/demand in return to trade him? 

And this topic belongs under trade talk. 

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Everyone can be traded. The question isn't should the Grizzlies be looking at trades but what would you want/demand in return to trade him? 

Give me a break, that sub forum is dead and you know it. If Toke wants to move it per your request, so be it.

I agree his value is as high as its probably going to get moving forward right now.  but i wouldn't move him.  initially i was on board with it.  Now i'm seeing a change in the culture on the team and in the locker-room.  don't disturb that.  the allegedly top teams in the league are not looking much better than us.  what if we continue to improve and our d remains true to what we're seeing.  anything can happen in the playoffs.  marc is playing lights out defense, assisting the ball, and doing well offensively.  i would not disturb this groove.  i

2 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Give me a break, that sub forum is dead and you know it. If Toke wants to move it per your request, so be it.

The trade forum is dead because people can't post in the proper place. It wouldn't be dead if all the trade talk was posted in trade talk. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The trade forum is dead because people can't post in the proper place. It wouldn't be dead if all the trade talk was posted in trade talk. 

That’s a bunch of horseradish, partner

8 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

That’s a bunch of horseradish, partner

Hey! Kids as young as 6 weeks are reading these boards bucko. Clean up your language

28 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Stupid rule for a forum hurting for traffic and content

OP is interesting , well thought out and presented ... traffic will come because they want to either agree with your trade proposal OR they will post to argue their differing viewpoint.

I also left a link pointing it to the Trade Talk Forum ... meaning it is still visible on the main page ... all they have to do is click on it and ...

Really . Good Post. Just hadda put it in the right place. 

15 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

OP is interesting , well thought out and presented ... traffic will come because they want to either agree with your trade proposal OR they will post to argue their differing viewpoint.

I also left a link pointing it to the Trade Talk Forum ... meaning it is still visible on the main page ... all they have to do is click on it and ...

Really . Good Post. Just hadda put it in the right place. 

I appreciate the sentiment, I just really don’t understand the logic behind the rule and would appeal for it to be changed if I had any recourse. 

Why is it a rule? It’s not as if the main forum is cluttered with trade proposals. The last, barely viewed, trade forum post was from July. 

Certain posters constantly muck up threads with unrealistic, nba2k-like trade ideas. With the trade forum rules logic, should they not be allowed to post about trades?

Can a topic’s OP not have any mention of trades, yet following comments are fair game? I could essentially change a few words and keep the exact same message of the post, but wouldn’t that render the trade forum rules obsolete? If so, I’ll do it.

It’s a very valid discussion that is needlessly hidden from virtually all forum members, for what reason?

1 hour ago, Subliminal said:

I appreciate the sentiment, I just really don’t understand the logic behind the rule and would appeal for it to be changed if I had any recourse. 

Why is it a rule? It’s not as if the main forum is cluttered with trade proposals. The last, barely viewed, trade forum post was from July. 

Certain posters constantly muck up threads with unrealistic, nba2k-like trade ideas. With the trade forum rules logic, should they not be allowed to post about trades?

Can a topic’s OP not have any mention of trades, yet following comments are fair game? I could essentially change a few words and keep the exact same message of the post, but wouldn’t that render the trade forum rules obsolete? If so, I’ll do it.

It’s a very valid discussion that is needlessly hidden from virtually all forum members, for what reason?

Agreed!  It's not like years ago when there seemed to be twice the activity here.

3 minutes ago, GamesOut said:

Agreed!  It's not like years ago when there seemed to be twice the activity here.

And it’s not like I even made a trade proposal. It was a general, hypothetical discussion topic. A pretty important one at that. If I titled the thread “Keep Gasol?”, would it have been allowed to stay? It just reeks of unnecessary censorship, an essentially bans an important topic of discussion on, again, a dying board. Seems counterintuitive, and I would be willing to bet not one other person would have minded had Chip not called to remove it. 

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Hey! Kids as young as 6 weeks are reading these boards bucko. Clean up your language

What he said upsets someone? It didn’t even upset me who the statement was geared toward!

22 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What he said upsets someone? It didn’t even upset me who the statement was geared toward!

I think your sarcasm meter might need some fine tuning sir 😜

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

3 hours ago, Subliminal said:

3 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

outta here -> gone

I suppose that Chip having been here so long he is like one of the Founding Fathers of the Forum and probably wrote the first Constitution of Forum Laws, so at his request in view of Subliminal's flagrant violation of Part C, Section III, Subparagraph 32 of the Forum Posting Code, his thread gets moved to Trade Talk otherwise known as the Dead Letter Office.

I'm with Subliminal on this.  This was not a trade proposal, such as the 327 ESPN Trade Machine proposals a certain individual has inserted into various threads over the years, nor is it a trade proposal like the rest of those in the Dead Letter Office.  If the mere mention of the word trade is all it takes for a thread to be moved you may as well move the entire Roster Moves thread with its more than 10,000 posts and over 436,000 views and 429 pages, because there is quite a bit of trade talk going there.

It also doesn't take a genius to see that the Dead Letter Office has very little activity.  JMO.  Go Grizzlies!!!

You make some good points... and the way you are now pushing to move the trade topics to the main page -> many many posters pushed just as hard to create the trade page.

Gimme a minute... 

I don’t just run a jump on my own. I’m a member of a group of moderators . 

Tell you what - you’ve made your points and voiced your opposition.

I see you have 1 poster backing you.

Are there any more?

Lets let it ride through the holidays.

we can take a good look at it then.

16 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Sooo... with Smit-tay ‘s backing , that gives you 2.

😶

I'll  support Subliminal on this, the thread belongs on the main board. Its directly about a Grizzlies related issue, and its not proposing a specfic trade (which by the way happens in the majority of other threads, buried in the text) but inviting discussion about if moves should be considered. We got a thread on the main board called Joakim Noah and as of right now, he has nothing to do with the Grizzlies other than gossip and rumour

26 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

You make some good points... and the way you are now pushing to move the trade topics to the main page -> many many posters pushed just as hard to create the trade page.

Gimme a minute... 

I don’t just run a jump on my own. I’m a member of a group of moderators

Are there any more?

Whaaaa.....?!!!  I thought you were the last of a dying breed.  Haven't seen Gman1 or Neon Leon, or Kenrae in years.

Most of the other threads in Trade Talk involve a suggested specific detailed deal.  Sub's thread is more about whether folks think he should be traded or not.  Not the same thing.  BHAL is right about the Joakim Noah thread too, though I do not want to see that one moved either.

1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Gimme a minute... 

I don’t just run a jump on my own. I’m a member of a group of moderators . 

Are there any more?

I apologize if I have come off as defensive in the removal of the thread from the main board. It’s just that it wasn’t a trade proposal. It’s a topic that has been discussed greatly throughout the last several years without hinderance and it boggles my mind that it would be taken out back and given the Ol’ Yeller treatment. 

Obviously, no hard feelings. It’s clear others feel the same way. I don’t want to force you to make new precedence, it’s just that this isn’t your throwaway ESPN trade machine proposal fodder.  Like I said, if I must, I can change the verbiage to follow forum protocols. 

No pressure, enjoy your holiday!

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Thread dead.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

I suppose that Chip having been here so long he is like one of the Founding Fathers of the Forum and probably wrote the first Constitution of Forum Laws, so at his request in view of Subliminal's flagrant violation of Part C, Section III, Subparagraph 32 of the Forum Posting Code, his thread gets moved to Trade Talk otherwise known as the Dead Letter Office.

I'm with Subliminal on this.  This was not a trade proposal, such as the 327 ESPN Trade Machine proposals a certain individual has inserted into various threads over the years, nor is it a trade proposal like the rest of those in the Dead Letter Office.  If the mere mention of the word trade is all it takes for a thread to be moved you may as well move the entire Roster Moves thread with its more than 10,000 posts and over 436,000 views and 429 pages, because there is quite a bit of trade talk going there.

It also doesn't take a genius to see that the Dead Letter Office has very little activity.  JMO.  Go Grizzlies!!!

Dead Thread Redemption..?

Sooo... looks like the people have spoken.

- thread comes back

- turns into a trade centric conversation 

- it’s moved to the area that was designed ( for real - the trade forum was one of the FIRST things I was involved in . We created it to allow like minded trade machine using poster with a keyboard and internet connection having gummy bear Cheeto eating Red Bull drinking ... I digress)

Keep it generic.. skirt the rule ... push the boundaries- old head posters know exactly what I mean. 

I wasn’t hired to be a mod ... I was one of the original line crossers. 

But , here we are.

Here’s your thread. 

Help me - help y’all .

Keep it clean and fan out over the team that has us here  !

uh- Go Grizz? 

Yeah - Go Grizz!

I feel like a grownup... the bad kind ... rules, homework, room clean inspecting eat your vegetables- grownup.

Since I don’t have a gavel or a gown , I’ll leave you with a floor slap and a FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE scowl.

-toke