Sign in to follow this  
Zappastache

Parsons - Disabled Player Exception or SOMETHING

Recommended Posts

Since Parsons is still nowhere to be found, I've been thinking: is there SOMETHING we can do so that we can use some of that salary number on a player that can actually see the court? 

I read that the Disabled Player Exception allows the team to use up to half of a players salary if they are evaluated as being unavailable until June 15th of that season. Can we get our doctors to say that this is the case with Parsons and just sign a re-animated corpse or any halfway-decent player that could contribute? 

Is there another option we have to just get the contract off the books next year also? Seems like there should be some way to get out of this hell if he isn't able to get on the court. 

I feel like this dude is robbing us (I know, it is not his fault, but rather is Chris Wallace's) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just waive him. Opens up a roster spot and if he signs with any team in the world, that amount comes off the cap. Could be a win - win.

… or we could call Uncle Vito and cousin Tony to take him on a fishing trip ...😯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Just waive him. Opens up a roster spot and if he signs with any team in the world, that amount comes off the cap. Could be a win - win.

… or we could call Uncle Vito and cousin Tony to take him on a fishing trip ...😯

But then we'll be paying him like a MLE for 4 years while he's chillin in Miami with some Instagram thot... Don't want this pain to drag on for 8 years instead of 4. I'm just thinking the NBA has to have something where we can get out of the last year of the contract if he hasn't even played 25% of the time he has been signed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not our doctors that can determine if he'll be out for the season (or for good) but the NBA's. And they won't if all he has is "knee soreness."

Waiving him means losing the only value his contract still has: the $25M expiring next season. And nobody will sign him for more than $1.5M since other teams usually aren't in the business of giving money away just because.

Also, if he is considered to have a career ending injury his salary will go away. But remember Darius Miles? Parsons would just need to sign elsewhere and play 10 games for his entire salary to fall back on us like we did with Miles and the Blazers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

It's not our doctors that can determine if he'll be out for the season (or for good) but the NBA's. And they won't if all he has is "knee soreness."

Waiving him means losing the only value his contract still has: the $25M expiring next season. And nobody will sign him for more than $1.5M since other teams usually aren't in the business of giving money away just because.

Also, if he is considered to have a career ending injury his salary will go away. But remember Darius Miles? Parsons would just need to sign elsewhere and play 10 games for his entire salary to fall back on us like we did with Miles and the Blazers.

Looks like it's the fishing trip then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Looks like it's the fishing trip then.

 

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

Being from Florida, I can think of other options available for him

1_151.jpg

😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Since Parsons is still nowhere to be found, I've been thinking: is there SOMETHING we can do so that we can use some of that salary number on a player that can actually see the court? 

I read that the Disabled Player Exception allows the team to use up to half of a players salary if they are evaluated as being unavailable until June 15th of that season. Can we get our doctors to say that this is the case with Parsons and just sign a re-animated corpse or any halfway-decent player that could contribute? 

Is there another option we have to just get the contract off the books next year also? Seems like there should be some way to get out of this hell if he isn't able to get on the court. 

I feel like this dude is robbing us (I know, it is not his fault, but rather is Chris Wallace's) 

Even if we could do that, which fanboyslim explained was not possible or prudent, just what available G-Leaguer is going to make any difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Even if we could do that, which fanboyslim explained was not possible or prudent, just what available G-Leaguer is going to make any difference?

I think it all boils down to people not wanting to see his face as a constant reminder of the FO's failure. I think it's a bit unfair to him, since it's not like he wants to be injured, but if that's really what people wants I'd rather give him a personal leave like we did with Tyreke and wait until next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I think it all boils down to people not wanting to see his face as a constant reminder of the FO's failure. I think it's a bit unfair to him, since it's not like he wants to be injured, but if that's really what people wants I'd rather give him a personal leave like we did with Tyreke and wait until next season.

Remember when they requested Jaric stay away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Even if we could do that, which fanboyslim explained was not possible or prudent, just what available G-Leaguer is going to make any difference?

I think you're right. He may actually have value next year as a huge expiring number, versus whatever we could get off the scrap heap to replace him. Unless all his cap space is off the books this summer and we could sign a Randle or someone then I think desperately trying to take on a longer contract next year is our only hope. 

Some potential trade targets near Parsons salary next year:

Bradley Beal

CJ McCollum

Otto Porter

Nicolas Batum

Jrue Holiday (ugly contract tho)

 

 

These are all players whose contracts go on beyond next year and I could maybe see their teams wanting to trade them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

 

I think you're right. He may actually have value next year as a huge expiring number, versus whatever we could get off the scrap heap to replace him. Unless all his cap space is off the books this summer and we could sign a Randle or someone then I think desperately trying to take on a longer contract next year is our only hope. 

Some potential trade targets near Parsons salary next year:

Bradley Beal

CJ McCollum

Otto Porter

Nicolas Batum

Jrue Holiday (ugly contract tho)

 

 

These are all players whose contracts go on beyond next year and I could maybe see their teams wanting to trade them. 

You were talking about cutting him.  That isn't going to bring any of those players here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You were talking about cutting him.  That isn't going to bring any of those players here.

right, and i said i was wrong, that we could actually potentially get something from him when he is an expiring contract. 

just frustrated there is nothing we can do to help the team NOW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to trade Chandler for something, even at a loss.  SOMETHING is better than Chandler that sits out 99% of the games each year at $24 million a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But wait...this is the year Parsons contributes.  He's feeling better than ever.  What bad knee???!!!??!   ?

 

 

 

 

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure it wouldn't be better to let his contract expire without trading it and have a huge amount of capspace to go after a max type FA player.

Why would we want to take on someone with another big non-expring contract who is mediocre at best? Unless its a number of smaller more useful contracts I don't see the sense in it. Why not do what the Lakers did and free up the balance sheet?

Or picks. But they'd have to be lottery or multiple 1st

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I'm not sure it wouldn't be better to let his contract expire without trading it and have a huge amount of capspace to go after a max type FA player.

Why would we want to take on someone with another big non-expring contract who is mediocre at best? Unless its a number of smaller more useful contracts I don't see the sense in it. Why not do what the Lakers did and free up the balance sheet?

Or picks. But they'd have to be lottery or multiple 1st

Marc salary goes away at the same time, so that's a lot of cap space you won't fill with top FAs (plus Marc is more likely to re-sign for less.) In 2020 you want to have your own pick, cap space to a big FA and some assets (players and/or extra picks) from trades.

Obviously you don't want to absorb a contract that's worse than Parsons' without getting some picks as well. And if you don't get a good trade the option to let the contract expire is still there. No need to rush a bad trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this