Sign in to follow this  
Zappastache

Average Cost of an NBA Game - Grizzlies Rank 12th Most Expensive

Was surprised we are on par with and more expensive than a lot of these large markets in cost for attending a game. Tickets are really cheap, so it must be FOOD, BEER AND PARKING that is driving this up. 

Thoughts? 

I think beer is SEVERELY overpriced at the games and food aint too cheap either. I bought a plastic flask since they always have metal detectors now :ph34r:

Sports Fan Spending 01 2 min

edit:

here is the link to the study: https://www.promocodesforyou.com/blog/average-ticket-prices-costs-nfl-nba-nhl-mlb-promocodesforyou/

So, the Griz at $101 are 12th down the NBA list versus the NFL 12th team Los Angeles Chargers at $435 for the "average cost of a ticket for a lower-level center seat for each team" which also "included the average cost of parking, a beer," and popcorn for the Grizzles and pizza for the Chargers.

I guess you gotta by a seat for the pizza too.

pizza-24-small.jpg

There's either something inconsistent in the way they are calculating ticket prices or parking or both.

There is no way a Rockets ticket + parking alone in the lower bowl is $88..

Ditto on the Clippers.

15 hours ago, bhoyal said:

The Chargers play at a 20,000 seat soccer stadium for now, right?   Gotta make up for lack of ticket sales somehow.

been a Charger fan since forever ... even while we are winning on the field - we are getting pummeled in ticket sales and LA interest.

(really hoping they find a way to get us back in San Diego ... San Diego - Super Chargers !) 

Oh and the whole our stadium was usually filled with more Raiders and Chiefs gear than our own baby blues...

As for Grizz ticket prices ... not that bad on the ground ... you can have an "affordably" good time as long as you do NOT spend the rent on concessions... Gotta eat BEFORE you get to the games...

and to keep it reasonable look at tickets that are right above the lower level big money seats 

1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

been a Charger fan since forever ... even while we are winning on the field - we are getting pummeled in ticket sales and LA interest.

(really hoping they find a way to get us back in San Diego ... San Diego - Super Chargers !) 

Oh and the whole our stadium was usually filled with more Raiders and Chiefs gear than our own baby blues...

As for Grizz ticket prices ... not that bad on the ground ... you can have an "affordably" good time as long as you do NOT spend the rent on concessions... Gotta eat BEFORE you get to the games...

and to keep it reasonable look at tickets that are right above the lower level big money seats 

That shared stadium that is being built for the Chargers & Rams should even the playing field a bit like the Staples Center did for the Clippers and Lakers.  The Clippers actually became the trendy one to support there for a few years.  How they can fit 2 NBA teams plus an NHL team plus concerts in one building is beyond me.  

FYI; the people that work selling food at the concessions at Grizzlies games are not paid. (I don't know about the beer guys, but would have to imagine that they are.) Point being that with all that free labor there is no excuse for the average price to be $21 more than a night out at Barclay arena. The difference in just taxes should have a game at FedEx forum much cheaper.

Also, come on guys, you can't compare NFL game prices to NBA. Only 8 home games, much bigger roster, maintaining fields during the winter time, etc...

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

FYI; the people that work selling food at the concessions at Grizzlies games are not paid. (I don't know about the beer guys, but would have to imagine that they are.) Point being that with all that free labor there is no excuse for the average price to be $21 more than a night out at Barclay arena. The difference in just taxes should have a game at FedEx forum much cheaper.

Also, come on guys, you can't compare NFL game prices to NBA. Only 8 home games, much bigger roster, maintaining fields during the winter time, etc...

Wait, what? I mean, they have to make SOMETHING. Nobody wants to serve beer and bbq nachos because they just love helping people. The restaurants themselves pay them, I'm sure. 

My guess is the way it works is that the restaurants rent the space from the Forum (Grizzlies) and there is probably some minimum price set for certain concessions to avoid much competition or crowds forming at just one spot. Also I'm sure the rent on those spaces aint cheap and they have to price their stuff pretty high to offset rent. 

10 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Wait, what? I mean, they have to make SOMETHING. Nobody wants to serve beer and bbq nachos because they just love helping people. The restaurants themselves pay them, I'm sure. 

My guess is the way it works is that the restaurants rent the space from the Forum (Grizzlies) and there is probably some minimum price set for certain concessions to avoid much competition or crowds forming at just one spot. Also I'm sure the rent on those spaces aint cheap and they have to price their stuff pretty high to offset rent. 

They are volunteers from various organizations, like a local church for example. The payoff is that the organization gets to use the Forum once a year.

2 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

They are volunteers from various organizations, like a local church for example. The payoff is that the organization gets to use the Forum once a year.

whaaaaat thats crazy... I gotta ask those ladies as the Ghost River station about that. They have amazing attitudes and I want to to tip but when I'm buying 2 beers and its almost $30... sorry ladies 😅

dude the Grizzlies got wayyyy too much power when they came to town and we built that stadium for them. A lot of big music acts don't come to Memphis bc the Grizz has power to shut down any show in the entire city,  regardless of venue, if they so choose. 

They get a taxpayer funded stadium, in one of the poorest urban areas in the country, and this is how they repay us: with $12 beer. 

Wow, and you certainly don't get what you're paying for with the crappy product this franchise puts out on the floor these days.  All of the cities above us are WAYY larger markets with much higher income levels, and the vast majority of them have been legitimate Championship contenders in recent history. What justifies us being so high on this list?

I may be wrong on this and someone can correct me if so, but I thought a few years back (prior to the Playoff years), the Grizzlies were the most affordable team in the league to go see. Why such a drastic change in the past decade? Do they really think a couple years of being a mediocre first-round exit Playoff team justifies jacking prices through the roof? I recall being able to go to games and sit court-side for well under $100 back then. Now that's the 'average'? Really? 

1 hour ago, Zappastache said:

whaaaaat thats crazy... I gotta ask those ladies as the Ghost River station about that. They have amazing attitudes and I want to to tip but when I'm buying 2 beers and its almost $30... sorry ladies 😅

dude the Grizzlies got wayyyy too much power when they came to town and we built that stadium for them. A lot of big music acts don't come to Memphis bc the Grizz has power to shut down any show in the entire city,  regardless of venue, if they so choose. 

They get a taxpayer funded stadium, in one of the poorest urban areas in the country, and this is how they repay us: with $12 beer. 

They hit The Landers Center located right across the state line in Southaven Mississippi ... that’s who gets the money when acts can’t or don’t want to get squeezed at the Forum ...

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

If it's churches/organizations providing free labor, perhaps there's an agreement the organization is allowed a cut of the sales? Like a donation? I kind of doubt they would provide that much free labor for 41+ days a year just to use the facility once. 

That would explain the outrageous pricing at least. There'd have to be enough margin for the church (or whoever) to take a cut, while still leaving room for the Grizzlies to make a profit.   

1 hour ago, GTG said:

Wow, and you certainly don't get what you're paying for with the crappy product this franchise puts out on the floor these days.  All of the cities above us are WAYY larger markets with much higher income levels, and the vast majority of them have been legitimate Championship contenders in recent history. What justifies us being so high on this list?

I may be wrong on this and someone can correct me if so, but I thought a few years back (prior to the Playoff years), the Grizzlies were the most affordable team in the league to go see. Why such a drastic change in the past decade? Do they really think a couple years of being a mediocre first-round exit Playoff team justifies jacking prices through the roof? I recall being able to go to games and sit court-side for well under $100 back then. Now that's the 'average'? Really? 

I think the difference is the fact that this study takes into account buying food, beer and parking. You can get into the forum for like $5 if you wanna sit against the wall up top. But you want dinner and a beer? You're paying 4 tickets worth for that. 

1 hour ago, GTG said:

If it's churches/organizations providing free labor, perhaps there's an agreement the organization is allowed a cut of the sales? Like a donation? I kind of doubt they would provide that much free labor for 41+ days a year just to use the facility once. 

That would explain the outrageous pricing at least. There'd have to be enough margin for the church (or whoever) to take a cut, while still leaving room for the Grizzlies to make a profit.   

It's about the "prestige" of having an event at the Forum. It has been a couple of years since I've talked to any of the workers there so there is the possibility that things have changed, but there was no money involved. Free labor for a one time use of the facility. Obviously the organizations that provide (or possibly provided) the free labor see it as a good trade off. I remember one lady complaining that they actually lost money while providing the free labor due to having to pay for parking. Not all that do it are happy about it because of paying to park to volunteer your time thing, yet they were still there... so I'm not knocking it as evidently these organizations benefited from it. Just saying that there is less of an excuse for the prices.

15 hours ago, Father Pat said:

It's about the "prestige" of having an event at the Forum. It has been a couple of years since I've talked to any of the workers there so there is the possibility that things have changed, but there was no money involved. Free labor for a one time use of the facility. Obviously the organizations that provide (or possibly provided) the free labor see it as a good trade off. I remember one lady complaining that they actually lost money while providing the free labor due to having to pay for parking. Not all that do it are happy about it because of paying to park to volunteer your time thing, yet they were still there... so I'm not knocking it as evidently these organizations benefited from it. Just saying that there is less of an excuse for the prices.

Hmm that’s odd, I’m no lawyer, but I would swear a for-profit organization utilizing volunteers would be some type of labor violation. Even if they let them use the arena one day as compensation, these people are selling things and making a profit for the Grizzlies.

That’s hundreds of positions that would be great jobs for a high school kid, or a single parent looking to make some extra cash, or whomever. And none of them get that opportunity because of this shady business going on. 

I worked at a restaurant in the Smithsonian Museum for a few years. The museum took 28% of every sale which we passed directly onto the customers. I’m sure something similar happens at the Forum. 

Basically 28 cents of every dollar sold, not profit, went to the Smithsonian before rent. The restaurant had to make a profit off of the 0.72 cents remaining too. Factor in labor costs, food cost, rent, equipment costs, and you see it isn’t very profitable business operation. You did get name recognition at the Forum so there is a marketing benefit at least. At the Smithsonian you didn’t even get that.

That also explains the thin staffing st events. If they don’t expect a packed house they won’t fully staff their operations which leads to lines which also upsets the consumer.

3 hours ago, GTG said:

Hmm that’s odd, I’m no lawyer, but I would swear a for-profit organization utilizing volunteers would be some type of labor violation. Even if they let them use the arena one day as compensation, these people are selling things and making a profit for the Grizzlies.

That’s hundreds of positions that would be great jobs for a high school kid, or a single parent looking to make some extra cash, or whomever. And none of them get that opportunity because of this shady business going on. 

I wouldn't say hundreds of positions (jobs), but would be comfortable saying 20 to 100, with the possibility of more depending on unknown positions with regard to where the food that is sold comes from and cooked, transported, etc. 

The workers at the Grizz Den and the ushers were (are) paid employees. I remember an article in the C.A. about a couple of ladies that were laid off from the Grizz Den during the lockout, showing the effects of it on more than just the players.

Next time you are at a game, strike up a conversation with one of the people selling food, you will see. Just make sure there isn't anyone behind you in line. They might not appreciate it.

I did work a couple of events at concessions at the Forum several years ago when Levy controlled the contract. They were fund raiser events for an organization I was involved with. The organization got a certain percentage from the profit of sales.  The big concession locations were usually reserved months in advance by church groups.

9 hours ago, Wells said:

I did work a couple of events at concessions at the Forum several years ago when Levy controlled the contract. They were fund raiser events for an organization I was involved with. The organization got a certain percentage from the profit of sales.  The big concession locations were usually reserved months in advance by church groups.

Correct. There is a reason groups want to do it - it's a good fund raiser to do for them.  It sure beats selling candy or popcorn or little coupon books.  

It's good for them, it's good for the Grizzlies/FEF.  

It's not some shady practice like some who are always looking to complain believe. It's a pretty common practice in a lot of HS, college, minor league, and major league events.