Sign in to follow this  
Teddy.B

Treating the Syptoms not the Disease

I wouldn't say making the POs 7 straight years was being in the POs temporarily but missing the POs last year was being out temporarily until we see what the outcome of this year is. Getting a couple of 2nd round picks wouldn't necessarily be any good because those teams picks wound have been later picks than what the Grizz had. I still believe the Grizz missed the boat when they didn't take Carter instead of 3J.

Another piece to consider though, do we as a fan base really 7 years of making the Playoffs and consistently being eliminated in the first or second round (with one fluke appearance in the WCF) as “success”? Wallace has been more or less the guy in the drivers’ seat for well over a decade and there are still zero banners flying in FedexForum, and we’ve never been a legitimate title contender. Nowhere outside of Memphis would that be a considered “success” but apparently a lot of people were thrilled with mediocrity. Just getting to the Playoffs for a couple seasons in a row should never be the goal to aim for. Is Wallace the guy that bring this franchise to a championship one day? You’re a fool if you think so. The dude’s had 11 years and we haven’t gotten close.

57 minutes ago, GTG said:

Another piece to consider though, do we as a fan base really 7 years of making the Playoffs and consistently being eliminated in the first or second round (with one fluke appearance in the WCF) as “success”? Wallace has been more or less the guy in the drivers’ seat for well over a decade and there are still zero banners flying in FedexForum, and we’ve never been a legitimate title contender. Nowhere outside of Memphis would that be a considered “success” but apparently a lot of people were thrilled with mediocrity. Just getting to the Playoffs for a couple seasons in a row should never be the goal to aim for. Is Wallace the guy that bring this franchise to a championship one day? You’re a fool if you think so. The dude’s had 11 years and we haven’t gotten close.

Not defending Wallace, but we were not mediocre.

On 10/19/2018 at 4:50 PM, Allen said:

I think Wallace not being fired for the Parsons debacle is confirmation that he isn’t the one really calling the shots 

If an employee makes a mistake that costs a company 94 million dollars they typically get fired

I agree with your line of thinking here.

I think there were other voices involved in the Parsons debacle that gave CW "plausible deniability", so that he could point the finger and say "that wasn't my idea".

While CW hasn't been good, the Grizz FO has been a ****show for a decade considering The Thabeet move, Levien's mess, The coaching revolving door, ownership changes etc.

To lay ALL of this at CW's door is not right, since he was not in control for a lot of that. 

The fact that members of this board, as more hardcore Grizz fans than most, question who is and has been TRULY in charge speaks more to the problem than CW himself.

I think Wallace has something to do with this global warming too.

Since we are questioning Wallace's influence within the organization, then what is the ultimate vision and long-term plan for the team? If Wallace is NOT your main basketball mind, who is? What is the end game to have someone be a fall man unless Pera truly wants to make all of the basketball decisions which doesn't seem the case. OR? 

Why not go full conspiracy theory and say that Pera wants a so-so team so that the city loses interest in the team and offers him the chance to move? That would account for his not engaging the city, the constant half-truths/round-about talk with injuries, the GM telling fans to find something better to do than listen to a radio show that covers the team and most recently a team that doesn't care for it's own forum where the fans can engage and generate interest/stay connected with the team and other fans.

All these shows me an organization that's trying to alienate the fans.

From the Commercial Appeal https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/2017/09/24/memphis-grizzlies-might-changing-owners-but-no-theyre-not-leaving/693770001/

Q: OK, but let’s say someone wanted to move the team. What would stop them?

A: First of all, the lease. It binds the Grizzlies to Memphis through the end of the 2020-2021 season. After that, alarmists like to focus on the section of the lease that provides the team could move by paying a gradually-descending lease termination fee, intended to pay off the remaining building bonds if the franchise does leave. In 2021, that fee would be $57.7 million, which is peanuts in the new NBA. In 2027, the last year of the lease, the fee is just $8.4 million. So taken by itself, that could be worrisome. But the lease also provides that all this only applies after the 2020-2021 season IF certain ticket or suite thresholds aren’t met, and IF the city and county don’t cure the shortfall by buying up an appropriate number of tickets or suites. And even then, the owner couldn’t move the team himself, but could only sell the team to an “unaffiliated third party.” Oh, and after all that, the the city and county would still have the right of first refusal to buy the team.

So the final curtain the big grandiose scheme is to estrange the team from the city and fan base ensuring ticket and suite thresholds aren't met and sell to an "unaffiliated third party" (Billionaires find a way) after the city has lost faith that an NBA franchise is worth the trouble.

Sometimes when there is no cure to the disease you just have to alleviate the symptoms. Until Gasol, Parsons and Conley are off the books and we owe no picks I think that’s all they are doing now 

9 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Since we are questioning Wallace's influence within the organization, then what is the ultimate vision and long-term plan for the team? If Wallace is NOT your main basketball mind, who is? What is the end game to have someone be a fall man unless Pera truly wants to make all of the basketball decisions which doesn't seem the case. OR? 

Why not go full conspiracy theory and say that Pera wants a so-so team so that the city loses interest in the team and offers him the chance to move? That would account for his not engaging the city, the constant half-truths/round-about talk with injuries, the GM telling fans to find something better to do than listen to a radio show that covers the team and most recently a team that doesn't care for it's own forum where the fans can engage and generate interest/stay connected with the team and other fans.

All these shows me an organization that's trying to alienate the fans.

From the Commercial Appeal https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/2017/09/24/memphis-grizzlies-might-changing-owners-but-no-theyre-not-leaving/693770001/

Q: OK, but let’s say someone wanted to move the team. What would stop them?

A: First of all, the lease. It binds the Grizzlies to Memphis through the end of the 2020-2021 season. After that, alarmists like to focus on the section of the lease that provides the team could move by paying a gradually-descending lease termination fee, intended to pay off the remaining building bonds if the franchise does leave. In 2021, that fee would be $57.7 million, which is peanuts in the new NBA. In 2027, the last year of the lease, the fee is just $8.4 million. So taken by itself, that could be worrisome. But the lease also provides that all this only applies after the 2020-2021 season IF certain ticket or suite thresholds aren’t met, and IF the city and county don’t cure the shortfall by buying up an appropriate number of tickets or suites. And even then, the owner couldn’t move the team himself, but could only sell the team to an “unaffiliated third party.” Oh, and after all that, the the city and county would still have the right of first refusal to buy the team.

So the final curtain the big grandiose scheme is to estrange the team from the city and fan base ensuring ticket and suite thresholds aren't met and sell to an "unaffiliated third party" (Billionaires find a way) after the city has lost faith that an NBA franchise is worth the trouble.

Since they announced in Vegas about 3 years ago that they would be getting 3 major sport teams, they are 2/3 rds of the way there (NHL & NFL). They have said that they will get a NBA team through relocation. The time table was within the next 10 years (3 years ago). I believe they will do it within the next 5 years at most. Will the Grizzlies move? I'd say very good chance.

That being said, no sense dwelling on what may or may not happen in the future that you can't control. Enjoy what you have today because if you don't, you will wish you did later on. If you like the NBA, get your butt to see some Grizzlies games. You won't regret it.

27 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Since they announced in Vegas about 3 years ago that they would be getting 3 major sport teams, they are 2/3 rds of the way there (NHL & NFL). They have said that they will get a NBA team through relocation. The time table was within the next 10 years (3 years ago). I believe they will do it within the next 5 years at most. Will the Grizzlies move? I'd say very good chance.

That being said, no sense dwelling on what may or may not happen in the future that you can't control. Enjoy what you have today because if you don't, you will wish you did later on. If you like the NBA, get your butt to see some Grizzlies games. You won't regret it.

I think it's going to be an expansion. The NBA has at least two spots they want to expand to Seattle and Las Vegas. 

They're not going to relocate two team to do that. 

Adam Silver seems to be fine with getting more and more teams in the league. I wouldn't be surprised there's 40 teams in the league at one point. 

They still want to get a more International presents besides just Canada. I could see Mexico City getting a team.

but of course negative people on the board are always going to say say the Grizzlies are the team that leaves. It's just the nature of this board and the negativity of it.

By all means lets keep this thread going. Wouldn't want the winds of a 5-2 record to sway the bellyaching about how bad Mike and Marc are and how they are killing this team. 

Officially bumped.