bhoyal

Bickerstaff's days are numbered...write it down

Recommended Posts

There's really nothing to be said about it except for the fact that the Grizzlies lack one more consistent offensive threat, and Mike Conley can't do it alone and Marc is good some days and some days he's not great.

Mike Conley is the only guy that we can truly rely on to be a consistent offensive threat. Marc Gasol is below Mike by little bit. 

And despite what people think Jaren Jackson Jr can't stay on the floor long enough to be consistent.

So the Grizzlies this year unless they get John Wall are probably a second round exit. 

maybe if we get Dylan Brooks back and he starts lighting up the world we can do something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

There's really nothing to be said about it except for the fact that the Grizzlies lack one more consistent offensive threat, and Mike Conley can't do it alone and Marc is good some days and some days he's not great.

Mike Conley is the only guy that we can truly rely on to be a consistent offensive threat. Marc Gasol is below Mike by little bit. 

And despite what people think Jaren Jackson Jr can't stay on the floor long enough to be consistent.

So the Grizzlies this year unless they get John Wall are probably a second round exit. 

maybe if we get Dylan Brooks back and he starts lighting up the world we can do something.

Dylan Brooks? You consider him more of an offensive player over Jaren? Is John Wall suppose to come off the bench?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

There's really nothing to be said about it except for the fact that the Grizzlies lack one more consistent offensive threat, and Mike Conley can't do it alone and Marc is good some days and some days he's not great.

Mike Conley is the only guy that we can truly rely on to be a consistent offensive threat. Marc Gasol is below Mike by little bit. 

And despite what people think Jaren Jackson Jr can't stay on the floor long enough to be consistent.

So the Grizzlies this year unless they get John Wall are probably a second round exit. 

maybe if we get Dylan Brooks back and he starts lighting up the world we can do something.

I dont agree with some of the points you are saying here.

We have a scorer - Marshon - but he is not getting regular meaningful PT, and almost hardly any with the starting core of Mike Marc and Kyle.

I dont agree with your comment on Jaren - the last two games especially he hardly racked up any fouls, not enough to keep him off the floor yet his mins are way down. Last night was a good example, he could have been used a lot more. Marshon could have been used last night A LOT MORE.

And this fantasy about John Wall and we are a 2nd round exit with out him, we are under 500 ball for the last 11 games. If we continue at that rate we won't be in the playoffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I dont agree with some of the points you are saying here.

We have a scorer - Marshon - but he is not getting regular meaningful PT, and almost hardly any with the starting core of Mike Marc and Kyle.

I dont agree with your comment on Jaren - the last two games especially he hardly racked up any fouls, not enough to keep him off the floor yet his mins are way down. Last night was a good example, he could have been used a lot more. Marshon could have been used last night A LOT MORE.

And this fantasy about John Wall and we are a 2nd round exit with out him, we are under 500 ball for the last 11 games. If we continue at that rate we won't be in the playoffs

Last night Jaren had a 15+ differential the closest player to him was Conley with 10+, after Conley went down that number dropped.
I don't understand why Jaren didn't see much time on the floor last night he was clearly making a difference even if he didn't score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blue Bear said:

Last night Jaren had a 15+ differential the closest player to him was Conley with 10+, after Conley went down that number dropped.
I don't understand why Jaren didn't see much time on the floor last night he was clearly making a difference even if he didn't score.

I agree with everything you have been saying about last night's game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I dont agree with some of the points you are saying here.

We have a scorer - Marshon - but he is not getting regular meaningful PT, and almost hardly any with the starting core of Mike Marc and Kyle.

I dont agree with your comment on Jaren - the last two games especially he hardly racked up any fouls, not enough to keep him off the floor yet his mins are way down. Last night was a good example, he could have been used a lot more. Marshon could have been used last night A LOT MORE.

And this fantasy about John Wall and we are a 2nd round exit with out him, we are under 500 ball for the last 11 games. If we continue at that rate we won't be in the playoffs

Similarly, I don't think the answer is to give jaren the ball and get the hell out of the way.

This whole fantasy that Bickerstaff is holding Jared back is such a fallacy. 

Bicketstaff is going out of his way to try to get the rookie going ever game. he allows the kid to get to early files which I don't think he's allow anybody to do that on a regular basis but Jaren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Similarly, I don't think the answer is to give jaren the ball and get the hell out of the way.

This whole fantasy that Bickerstaff is holding Jared back is such a fallacy. 

Bicketstaff is going out of his way to try to get the rookie going ever game. he allows the kid to get to early files which I don't think he's allow anybody to do that on a regular basis but Jaren

I didnt say any of this - go back and read what I said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Similarly, I don't think the answer is to give jaren the ball and get the hell out of the way.

This whole fantasy that Bickerstaff is holding Jared back is such a fallacy. 

Bicketstaff is going out of his way to try to get the rookie going ever game. he allows the kid to get to early files which I don't think he's allow anybody to do that on a regular basis but Jaren

I respectfully disagree ...

I think coach tries to ( HAS to? ) let 13 get his early in the game ... you know - BEFORE he gets banged with the that's-not-a-foul-whistles.

IF he waits ... everybody knows - errybody - KNOWS. He won't even get a chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the team is playing well:

"Man, we got some players that are really ballin'!  Ya think we gonna get some in the All-Star Game?"

When the team is not playing well:

"Man, the coach sux!!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

There's really nothing to be said about it except for the fact that the Grizzlies lack one more consistent offensive threat, and Mike Conley can't do it alone and Marc is good some days and some days he's not great.

Mike Conley is the only guy that we can truly rely on to be a consistent offensive threat. Marc Gasol is below Mike by little bit. 

And despite what people think Jaren Jackson Jr can't stay on the floor long enough to be consistent.

So the Grizzlies this year unless they get John Wall are probably a second round exit. 

maybe if we get Dylan Brooks back and he starts lighting up the world we can do something.

Lol You just called them title contenders yesterday. 

And a Conley/Gasol led team ceiling has always been gritty second round out. Neither  are good enough  scorers to be a teams go to options.  I’ve been saying it for years. I called them high level role players 5 years ago

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Allen said:

Lol You just called them title contenders yesterday. 

And a Conley/Gasol led team ceiling has always been gritty second round out. Neither  are good enough  scorers to be a teams go to options.  I’ve been saying it for years. I called them high level role players 5 years ago

 

 

Where in the world are you getting that I all the sudden believe your opinion that they are high level role players? Also, just for your information, Curry needs an allstar team to win in this league.

The fact that the grizzlies need more talent isn't an indictment on the players we have: that's just something you concocted in your brain.

The point is that Mike and Marc get more done with less talent than any players in the league, except possibly Lebron, who is the GOAT.

It would be more accurate for you to hate the league itself for creating an imbalance of the have and have-nots than your nonsensical evaluation of Mike and Marc.

There is no universe where anything that you propose that this franchise do would get the grizzlies any closer to a championship than they are right now. But by all means keep that brain of your turning and stewing about small matters that lead to hamster wheel results. It's the very definition of irony. Adam Silver laughs at you.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIght now I can't blame JB with a 15-11 record. IMO that's what the team is worth, maybe even more.

For this season I just want to give the d*** pick back to Boston. then if we do the playoffs and give JJJ some experience... even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The fact that the grizzlies need more talent isn't an indictment on the players we have: that's just something you concocted in your brain.

The point is that Mike and Marc get more done with less talent than any players in the league, except possibly Lebron, who is the GOAT.  

What is it if saying the Grizzlies need more talent isn’t an indictment on the players they have? If you want to replace current players with more talented players it sure sounds to me that you are saying the current players aren’t talented enough.

i’m not sure you could say that Conley and Gasol get more done with less than LeBron either. He’s taken teams that didn’t even belong in the playoffs to the conference finals and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Where in the world are you getting that I all the sudden believe your opinion that they are high level role players? Also, just for your information, Curry needs an allstar team to win in this league.

The fact that the grizzlies need more talent isn't an indictment on the players we have: that's just something you concocted in your brain.

The point is that Mike and Marc get more done with less talent than any players in the league, except possibly Lebron, who is the GOAT.

It would be more accurate for you to hate the league itself for creating an imbalance of the have and have-nots than your nonsensical evaluation of Mike and Marc.

There is no universe where anything that you propose that this franchise do would get the grizzlies any closer to a championship than they are right now. But by all means keep that brain of your turning and stewing about small matters that lead to hamster wheel results. It's the very definition of irony. Adam Silver laughs at you.    

You called them title contenders but now without anything changing they are a second round out. Just find the middle ground and stay there man. People would take you more seriously.

Mike and Marc are second star players who should be part of a supporting cast not guys that need a supporting cast put around them. The best supporting cast in the league wouldn’t push a team led by Conley and Gasol over the top. The only time we had a legit shot is when we had Zbo carrying their tail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What is it if saying the Grizzlies need more talent isn’t an indictment on the players they have? If you want to replace current players with more talented players it sure sounds to me that you are saying the current players aren’t talented enough.

i’m not sure you could say that Conley and Gasol get more done with less than LeBron either. He’s taken teams that didn’t even belong in the playoffs to the conference finals and beyond.

I said, except LeBron. Lebron is the one guy that you put on a team and he can carry scrubs to the finals. But beyond him, there aren't really any other players that do more with less than Mike and Marc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I said, except LeBron. Lebron is the one guy that you put on a team and he can carry scrubs to the finals. But beyond him, there aren't really any other players that do more with less than Mike and Marc. 

You said except "possibly" LeBron. Personally I would have eliminated the word possibly. He's proven it repeatedly and is doing so again this season with the Lakers. 

Mike and Marc are also two players not one. To say that these two players have done more than any one isn't that big of a statement honestly. I think if you want to compare the Grizzlies duo to other duos you'll find some interesting comparisons. LIllard and McCollum with Portland for instance have a similar resume. Westbrook and Paul George have done similar if not superior things in OKC. Chris Paul and James Harden in Houston prior to this season. Anthony Davis and Jrue Holliday in New Orleans are close but don't have as long a track record. 

That's just off the top of my head. I am sure there are more examples of two stars carrying teams without a lot of other talent to the playoffs where they lose. 

The truth is the Grizzlies haven't had as much talent as a number of teams outside the Core 4 which has become the Dynamic Duo of Conley and Gasol. But what has the team accomplished with just Conley and Gasol? Not even a .500 record and only one playoff appearance in the two seasons since Z-Bo and TA left.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I would say JBs coaching has lost the Grizz 4-5 games, maybe more.

I believe the players have lost all the games. JB hasn’t blown a single defensive assignment or missed a shot yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

You said except "possibly" LeBron. Personally I would have eliminated the word possibly. He's proven it repeatedly and is doing so again this season with the Lakers. 

Mike and Marc are also two players not one. To say that these two players have done more than any one isn't that big of a statement honestly. I think if you want to compare the Grizzlies duo to other duos you'll find some interesting comparisons. LIllard and McCollum with Portland for instance have a similar resume. Westbrook and Paul George have done similar if not superior things in OKC. Chris Paul and James Harden in Houston prior to this season. Anthony Davis and Jrue Holliday in New Orleans are close but don't have as long a track record. 

That's just off the top of my head. I am sure there are more examples of two stars carrying teams without a lot of other talent to the playoffs where they lose. 

The truth is the Grizzlies haven't had as much talent as a number of teams outside the Core 4 which has become the Dynamic Duo of Conley and Gasol. But what has the team accomplished with just Conley and Gasol? Not even a .500 record and only one playoff appearance in the two seasons since Z-Bo and TA left.  

Conley and Gasol alone have not accomplished anything. Since last year Mike got hurt. And of course we all know that Zach Randolph has always been underrated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

coach has been fine, but I do question why marshon did not play in the second half the other night when he really had it going..

I also question why green closed the game instead of jtrip.

truth is, for whatever reason, conley is reluctant to hit jtrip on the initial quick post early in the clock. he looks him off and he passes to gasol who immediately passes it back to him or to shelvin. at that point, the clock is really winding down and we are in a predicament. if conley would hit jtrip with the initial look, it would do wonders for the team.

 

slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I believe the players have lost all the games. JB hasn’t blown a single defensive assignment or missed a shot yet!

I haven't seen the players put the wrong players on the floor 1 single time either. MSB was 4-4 in the 1st Q the last game and I do believe he didn't play 1 second after that. What did he do wrong so that he didn't get a single second after that? Seems MSB didn't play a single second in the last game, maybe that is why the Grizz only has 91 points listed. He did actually play 6:33 with 8 points, so his defense must've been HORRENDOUS. As I recall he did get the Grizz back in the game. 3J 20:04

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

coach has been fine, but I do question why marshon did not play in the second half the other night when he really had it going..

I also question why green closed the game instead of jtrip.

truth is, for whatever reason, conley is reluctant to hit jtrip on the initial quick post early in the clock. he looks him off and he passes to gasol who immediately passes it back to him or to shelvin. at that point, the clock is really winding down and we are in a predicament. if conley would hit jtrip with the initial look, it would do wonders for the team.

 

slim.

Don't you know that if Conley gives Gasol the ball it usually winds back up in his hands? He's supposed to be THE guy now! I don't think he likes scoring 4 points and the team winning, he's got to be a bigger part of it. That doesn't look good for THE player to only score 4 points. 3J only got 7 shots, MC took 14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I haven't seen the players put the wrong players on the floor 1 single time either. MSB was 4-4 in the 1st Q the last game and I do believe he didn't play 1 second after that. What did he do wrong so that he didn't get a single second after that? Seems MSB didn't play a single second in the last game, maybe that is why the Grizz only has 91 points listed. He did actually play 6:33 with 8 points, so his defense must've been HORRENDOUS. As I recall he did get the Grizz back in the game. 3J 20:04

The wrong players? Just how do you determine who are the "right" and "wrong" players anyway? Do you have a crystal ball to know who will blow an assignment or miss an open shot??? If you do then please share it with the Grizzlies front office. I'm sure they would want it. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but we all have to admit that JB is coaching to win. Just because we may not understand why he decides who to put on the court doesn't mean they were the "wrong" players. You said that Brooks got the Grizzlies back in the game , but his +/- was +0 for the game so he actually didn't lose or gain anything while he was in the game.  Did you want Garrett Temple sitting instead? What about Kyle Anderson? Temple played 34 minutes and Anderson 29 so it wasn't like they were being over-used but maybe you wanted them to play less so Brooks could play more. 

Of course you would probably be the first to complain if Brooks was put back in for 8 minutes in the second half and he went 0-4. Just out of curiosity how would Brooks have played if JB had played him? When should he have put him in? The Grizzlies were ahead by 4 points midway thru the 4th so should JB bench his two best defensive wing men to put in Brooks down the stretch? 

I think it is easy to criticize a coach after a loss but the reality is JB did a good job of keeping players fresh and they collapsed down the stretch. They didn't make shots ( one in particular looked like he didn't want to take a shot). They didn't play good defense. The players failed in the last minutes of the 4th. Perhaps it was the altitude (I know the air felt different to me and I was at the game not watching at home). Perhaps it was a lack of focus. Perhaps it as bad calls.

Personally I felt it was bad luck. We had a lot of good looks where the shot rolled around came out instead of falling. That isn't bad coaching when you get players open looks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you get your information from? 

Starters Min FG 3pt FT Off Def Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF +/- Pts
F 28:53 4-10 1-2 0-0 0 3 3 3 2 2 1 3 -10 9
F 20:04 3-7 0-2 0-0 0 3 3 1 1 2 0 1 +1 6
C 31:26 2-6 1-2 2-2 0 2 2 6 2 0 0 4 -8 7
G 34:10 3-6 1-4 0-0 0 3 3 2 1 0 0 4 -6 7
G 31:42 5-14 2-8 7-7 0 1 1 6 1 2 0 2 +2 19
Bench Min FG 3pt FT Off Def Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF +/- Pts
25:31 4-10 1-4 4-4 4 6 10 0 2 0 1 0 -4 13
23:37 5-8 2-3 2-2 1 1 2 2 0 0 0 2 -8 14
19:07 5-7 1-2 1-2 1 5 6 2 3 0 0 1 +4 12
18:57 2-2 0-0 0-0 0 4 4 0 2 1 2 2 -1 4
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Inactive - Injury / Illness
Inactive - Injury / Illness
Inactive - Personal
Inactive - Injury / Illness
Inactive - G League Team
Inactive - G League Team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The wrong players? Just how do you determine who are the "right" and "wrong" players anyway? Do you have a crystal ball to know who will blow an assignment or miss an open shot??? If you do then please share it with the Grizzlies front office. I'm sure they would want it. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but we all have to admit that JB is coaching to win. Just because we may not understand why he decides who to put on the court doesn't mean they were the "wrong" players. You said that Brooks got the Grizzlies back in the game , but his +/- was +0 for the game so he actually didn't lose or gain anything while he was in the game.  Did you want Garrett Temple sitting instead? What about Kyle Anderson? Temple played 34 minutes and Anderson 29 so it wasn't like they were being over-used but maybe you wanted them to play less so Brooks could play more. 

Of course you would probably be the first to complain if Brooks was put back in for 8 minutes in the second half and he went 0-4. Just out of curiosity how would Brooks have played if JB had played him? When should he have put him in? The Grizzlies were ahead by 4 points midway thru the 4th so should JB bench his two best defensive wing men to put in Brooks down the stretch? 

I think it is easy to criticize a coach after a loss but the reality is JB did a good job of keeping players fresh and they collapsed down the stretch. They didn't make shots ( one in particular looked like he didn't want to take a shot). They didn't play good defense. The players failed in the last minutes of the 4th. Perhaps it was the altitude (I know the air felt different to me and I was at the game not watching at home). Perhaps it was a lack of focus. Perhaps it as bad calls.

Personally I felt it was bad luck. We had a lot of good looks where the shot rolled around came out instead of falling. That isn't bad coaching when you get players open looks. 

 

Your eyes must be really bad if you can't see who is playing good and who is playing bad. Casspi was 5-7, Anderson 4-10, look at their stats. Temple was 3-6, we know Brooks was 4-4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now