bhoyal

Bickerstaff's days are numbered...write it down

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Well you are ignoring the biggest fact.   Which are the games themselves.   Poor timeout management and lineups have literally cost us wins.   You can pick any game on any night and see examples of coaching affecting games for good or for bad.   Heck some effective coaches weren't even that great at strategy but they understood how to deal with player ego's and foster team chemistry to positive effect. 

when the talent is the same - edge goes to which coach who has the best strategy.     Explain the MIA Heat loss to Dallas Mavericks in 2011?  Wasn't MIA the clearly more talented team?  

If Coaching doesn't make a difference in wins or losses then why are there 30 HC in the NBA?  Surely all those teams would save a ton of money on payroll not giving them millions.    Those big billionaire dummies aren't as smart as you and those analytics guys apparently.    

Can you show any evidence of your claims? Surely someone has researched how effective coaches are and how they have effected games. I am open to any facts you can provide.

4 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Let me ask you something, do you not think starting Noah against Utah did not make a difference? You think if he had started Rabb the outcome would have been the same? I don't, I think Noah nullified Favors which Rabb couldn't have done. Is this not just what everyone here is talking about? 

So are you defending JB as a brilliant tactician or are you just trying to show one isolated event and to attempt to discredit the majority of evidence?

I have repeatedly said, and will repeat myself again, that there is a base level of competence needed to be a NBA Head Coach. I also believe, and have provided papers written to statistically show, that, once the base level of acumen is achieved, coaches don’t make huge differences to a season’s outcome and quite often is actually detrimental to a team’s success. 

That is all I have said. I have provided research that supports this belief. Instead of producing repeated isolated evidence, please provide some evidence that proves what you are suggesting. 

Just because you have research doesn't mean it is correct, if you look at the research on tobacco practically everything about it says it is bad for us and nothing is mentioned about how tobacco can make our body heal some things that can kill us or nothing is mentioned about the 8-9 things it can do to help prevent us from having heart attacks. Tobacco is a nightmare for the medical profession and pharmaceutical companies. They also don't tell people that it has been used to treat over 80 different things that plague mankind. They sure don't tell you when it makes your body kill some of these things that it also immunizes the body against them.

16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

So are you defending JB as a brilliant tactician or are you just trying to show one isolated event and to attempt to discredit the majority of evidence?

I have repeatedly said, and will repeat myself again, that there is a base level of competence needed to be a NBA Head Coach. I also believe, and have provided papers written to statistically show, that, once the base level of acumen is achieved, coaches don’t make huge differences to a season’s outcome and quite often is actually detrimental to a team’s success. 

That is all I have said. I have provided research that supports this belief. Instead of producing repeated isolated evidence, please provide some evidence that proves what you are suggesting. 

There is also a base level of competence to be a schoolteacher.  Coaches can, like teachers,  make a difference.  I'm sure all of us had classes with a teacher who was very boring or could not control the classroom.  On the other hand there were those who kept our attention and made things interesting.  Now with the same group of kids the interesting teacher might get better test results than the dull, boring one, but he still can't make geniuses out of kids who just don't have that ability.  It's about making people reach their full potential, which is what good teachers and coaches do.  But just like the good teacher who can't make geniuses out of all their students, a good coach can't make champions out of players who just don't have enough ability.  So I think that those arguing each side are both right - to a certain degree.  I agree with Chip that, as fans, we usually give the coach too much blame or credit, but on the other it would be silly to say they make no difference at all.

25 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Just because you have research doesn't mean it is correct, if you look at the research on tobacco practically everything about it says it is bad for us and nothing is mentioned about how tobacco can make our body heal some things that can kill us or nothing is mentioned about the 8-9 things it can do to help prevent us from having heart attacks. Tobacco is a nightmare for the medical profession and pharmaceutical companies. They also don't tell people that it has been used to treat over 80 different things that plague mankind. They sure don't tell you when it makes your body kill some of these things that it also immunizes the body against them.

You are nuts

24 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

You are nuts

nope he is right.   Tobacco was used as a health remedy by my ancestors for generations.    Natural Organic non-synthetic tobacco that isn't mixed with all the dangerous chemicals.     Check Cancer rates today versus 100 yrs ago but i digress. 

FYI they are getting ready to kill all the benefits of marijuana pretty soon to by GMO it as well.  

12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

nope he is right.   Tobacco was used as a health remedy by my ancestors for generations.    Natural Organic non-synthetic tobacco that isn't mixed with all the dangerous chemicals.     Check Cancer rates today versus 100 yrs ago but i digress. 

FYI they are getting ready to kill all the benefits of marijuana pretty soon to by GMO it as well.  

References from peer-reviewed published articles to substantiate your claims?

7 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

References from peer-reviewed published articles to substantiate your claims?

Peer reviewed articles are usually owned by Big Pharmaceutical.   Im just telling you what my Great Grandparents did and they lived a long time (90s) and had sharper minds than me at the time of death.    heck in some European countries they use kerosene to heal a lot of things too.   Turpentine is another (use that myself). 

Tobacco was major crop of American Indians long before Columbus stepped his disgusting self over here.  They weren't dying of cancer.  Natural herbs are good for you if used the right way.   Once man synthesizes it is when it becomes a problem. 

21 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Peer reviewed articles are usually owned by Big Pharmaceutical.   Im just telling you what my Great Grandparents did and they lived a long time (90s) and had sharper minds than me at the time of death.    heck in some European countries they use kerosene to heal a lot of things too.   Turpentine is another (use that myself). 

Tobacco was major crop of American Indians long before Columbus stepped his disgusting self over here.  They weren't dying of cancer.  Natural herbs are good for you if used the right way.   Once man synthesizes it is when it becomes a problem. 

I was wondering why every time I see people from Cuba, they live to be 90 or more, now I know why. It's the cigars they are smoking, it is making them more healthy.

48 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Just because someone smoked and lived to be 90 doesn't mean it was ok for them.  Maybe they would have lived to be 105 if they didn't, so I don't see that as proof of anything.  It's just a lifestyle choice though.  Errbody's gonna do what they do.

3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Just because someone smoked and lived to be 90 doesn't mean it was ok for them.  Maybe they would have lived to be 105 if they didn't, so I don't see that as proof of anything.  It's just a lifestyle choice though.  Errbody's gonna do what they do.

I smoke but you won't be seeing me post that it is healthy, that it cures disease, or that it creates immunity from infectious disease

7 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I smoke but you won't be seeing me post that it is healthy, that it cures disease, or that it creates immunity from infectious disease

Yeah, I think I would be extremely skeptical of that.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

There is also a base level of competence to be a schoolteacher.  Coaches can, like teachers,  make a difference.  I'm sure all of us had classes with a teacher who was very boring or could not control the classroom.  On the other hand there were those who kept our attention and made things interesting.  Now with the same group of kids the interesting teacher might get better test results than the dull, boring one, but he still can't make geniuses out of kids who just don't have that ability.  It's about making people reach their full potential, which is what good teachers and coaches do.  But just like the good teacher who can't make geniuses out of all their students, a good coach can't make champions out of players who just don't have enough ability.  So I think that those arguing each side are both right - to a certain degree.  I agree with Chip that, as fans, we usually give the coach too much blame or credit, but on the other it would be silly to say they make no difference at all.

I have never said they make no difference at all. I said in the post you quoted that once the base level is reached that coaches don’t make a huge difference. That is not to mean they make no difference. It does mean that they don’t make a a big difference. 

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

I was wondering why every time I see people from Cuba, they live to be 90 or more, now I know why. It's the cigars they are smoking, it is making them more healthy.

It's the juice they get from chewing on the cigars.

24 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I have never said they make no difference at all. I said in the post you quoted that once the base level is reached that coaches don’t make a huge difference. That is not to mean they make no difference. It does mean that they don’t make a a big difference. 

The players they play can make a huge difference. Didn't you see the way Rabb got pushed around against SA? 

2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

I never said smoke.  There are healing properties in the plant itself.  Cigarettes arent the same thing.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Yeah, I know that.  I never stated that was your point.  They probably make less of a difference than most fans think, but I do think they make a difference.