Rdk4121

Grizzlies Add DJ Stephens

What's with the freakin obsession with DJ Stephens? If he weren't a Tiger, would any of you care? There has to be better prospects out there than a 27yo who still looks like he's learning how to play basketball.

1 hour ago, Grizzly_Bear said:

What's with the freakin obsession with DJ Stephens? If he weren't a Tiger, would any of you care? There has to be better prospects out there than a 27yo who still looks like he's learning how to play basketball.

If you've seen the dude jump you know why. He might not have the skill game yet, but it will at least be fun to watch. Plus, it's just a two way contract. 

I'm a bit surprised.  I guessed that if he was to be one of our two-way contracts they would have signed him much sooner.

Welcome DJ!  Hope you do well.

18 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

If you've seen the dude jump you know why. He might not have the skill game yet, but it will at least be fun to watch. Plus, it's just a two way contract. 

The Grizzlies MO this season was supposedly to sign high IQ, high skill guys. DJ is NOT in that category. I don't care how high he jumps. This is a wasted roster spot imo.

Didn't DJ when the Sixth Man award in the French Leaque last season?

Great news, Im feeling Hustle/Grizz will have a great year. Trade Parsons + Harrison + Rabb for a bigman and I believe we make a top 5 seed in the West.

Althought I would love to have a pick high enought for us to draft RJ or Zion.

3 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Skill game "yet?" He is 27! The guy has no real perimeter game. Its not like he can jump off the dribble. The hops are only good for an occassional lob or tip in. Seriously, there are no better prospects than him?

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Skill game "yet?" He is 27! The guy has no real perimeter game. Its not like he can jump off the dribble. The hops are only good for an occassional lob or tip in. Seriously, there are no better prospects than him?

What you talkin' 'bout?  DJ is gonna jump from behind the arc and dunk, so they'll all be three point shots.  The league is gonna have to adjust to us now!!!!

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

Well if you watched summer league then you know he can defend and protect the rim too. If he can hit the occasional three and score has a slasher he's more than worth it. He may never have a perimeter game, but it isn't like he's the first player in the NBA to not have one. Heck, Ben McLemore can barely dribble the ball. 

8 hours ago, Grizzly_Bear said:

The Grizzlies MO this season was supposedly to sign high IQ, high skill guys. DJ is NOT in that category. I don't care how high he jumps. This is a wasted roster spot imo.

Not really a roster spot, it's a two way contract, so it doesn't effect the normal 15 players on the roster. I don't think DJ is low IQ, but he doesn't have the skills in particular. Again it's a two way, he will get his shot to make a difference in regular season games, but this is an incredibly low risk, high reward situation. 

Any of the other training camp roster are going to be signed to the Hustle anyway like Goodwin, Crawford, and Moore. None of those guys are probably getting signed to a two way contract so they will still be around. 

Getting excited or upset about two-way contract players seems a little silly to me.  Two seasons ago there was no such thing.  It isn't as if all the other teams in the league are signing future stars with their two-ways.  I think the very best you could hope for is a JaMychal Green/James Ennis type role player, and that would be a long shot.  It's more like having ten-day contract guys that have practiced with the team and have an understanding of what their role on the team is, but being able to call them up and send them down to the minors like baseball.  I'm not going to be upset about signing or cutting any of them.  I do hope we get lucky.  All that being said, I will be pulling hard for DJ and Yuta while they wear Beale St. Blue, and I will get excited for individual plays and accomplishments.

11 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Can he do the StroShow sign ? Cause if he can - I’m all in ! 

38 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Can he do the StroShow sign ? Cause if he can - I’m all in ! 

Could you imagine if he wore #4 and started throwing it up.

Well, this is about as a "not moving the needle" move as not moving the needle gets. I get it, Tigers fans like the guy and want to see him do well coming from where he came from and he provided some good highlights but at the end of the day, he's not an NBA player.  Same goes for Markel Crawford. I don't see why they didn't do this last year to be honest. I don't think this team will exceed mid-30s in wins but last year was a complete tank year and the best chance to have someone like this on the team. 

With all of that being said, if you're going to give out contracts for guys at the end of the bench who will rarely play, I have no problem with them giving priority to former Tigers. 

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, this is about as a "not moving the needle" move as not moving the needle gets. I get it, Tigers fans like the guy and want to see him do well coming from where he came from and he provided some good highlights but at the end of the day, he's not an NBA player.  Same goes for Markel Crawford. I don't see why they didn't do this last year to be honest. I don't think this team will exceed mid-30s in wins but last year was a complete tank year and the best chance to have someone like this on the team. 

With all of that being said, if you're going to give out contracts for guys at the end of the bench who will rarely play, I have no problem with them giving priority to former Tigers. 

Has any team's two-way player moved the needle?

I'm cool with it and happy for DJ.  Its a two way deal...and DJ is exciting to watch.  Seems his outside shot has gotten better and he is a solid perimeter defender with amazing hops.