Kevin B Moses

Preseason basketball thread

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

When you have a former Grizz killer in Caron Butler and a former coach who was upset about being fired doing the review the outcome is naturally negative. 

However many of their points are well taken. They never predicted the Grizzlies weren't a mid 30s win team, they simply believe the team will start slowly and longer term vision will overtake the short term desire to win leading to a lower win total and the move of at least one of their older stars. It isn't unreasonable to see what they are predicting. The team is built to win now and if they start off losing immediately how long do people anticipate the front office waiting before making moves to build more with the younger players? 

The problem is that if you start losing again and Marc Gasol is subpar again then his trade market at 23 million per becomes very limited. You would do good to get a lottery protected 1st rounder at that point. Conley essential has no trade market unless he is having a career year.

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The problem is that if you start losing again and Marc Gasol is subpar again then his trade market at 23 million per becomes very limited. You would do good to get a lottery protected 1st rounder at that point. Conley essential has no trade market unless he is having a career year.

So are you saying that the only way the team could trade Conley and/or Gasol is of the team is winning? 

Personally I don’t agree with the concept of trading either player if the team is winning. I also believe Conley has a ton of trade value even if he isn’t having a career year but I don’t have any way to validate that opinion since I’m not a GM. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

So are you saying that the only way the team could trade Conley and/or Gasol is of the team is winning? 

Personally I don’t agree with the concept of trading either player if the team is winning. I also believe Conley has a ton of trade value even if he isn’t having a career year but I don’t have any way to validate that opinion since I’m not a GM. 

When I am talking trade value this also includes not taking back a bunch of junk contracts in return which would defeat the purpose. You have to find teams that are interested, have expendable assets and can match salaries. This is hard to do with big dalaries but especially hard with non-superstar players making 25-30 million.

Gasol has never really put up huge numbers but his value as a great player was creating winning chemistry. Now he isnt winning and his efficiency isnt good (if they dont win this year). Im not seeing how that is real attractive across the league. 

With the way solid point guards flow around the league these days, if Conley isnt at or above his career year of 20 ppg and is losing, who would want to drop assets to pay him 30 million per this late in his career? It doesnt seem realistic at all to me.