Adrenalize74

Chandler Parsons - Note to Memphis

1 hour ago, cdp said:

Thing is, he hasn't had a chance to play for the Hustle yet. Since that original injury return date of December 21st the Hustle have only played twice, both times in California. They haven't been home for a game in three weeks.

If he's not in Southhaven for the game tomorrow night, then we got a problem.

I heard Geof and Gary talking about this tonight.  Calkins was saying the team wanted Parson to travel out to the West Coast with the Grizz.  Then stay in Cali to play these two games with the Hustle there.  He said no.

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

+1 and an +++1 to Father Pat. 

You got to pay him the money so why not play him and see what he's got. The 1st I read about this was the Grizz was holding him out until the start of the new year.

The only worry I have is that this will be another thing where Griz FO make us look unattractive to players.... at this point only reason I want to give him a chance is that we need offense and I’m still a dreamer ...,

13 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

The only worry I have is that this will be another thing where Griz FO make us look unattractive to players.... at this point only reason I want to give him a chance is that we need offense and I’m still a dreamer ...,

It could be the opposite. We don't know how the rest of the team feels about it. I know how I would feel about a coworker that has only shown up for a few weeks over the course of 2 1/2 years and then dictates to management how their return to work will be handled. 

5 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

It could be the opposite. We don't know how the rest of the team feels about it. I know how I would feel about a coworker that has only shown up for a few weeks over the course of 2 1/2 years and then dictates to management how their return to work will be handled. 

Yes agree with you on coworkers but I was thinking people on the outside just hearing/seeing media reports

33 minutes ago, Gradey said:

I heard Geof and Gary talking about this tonight.  Calkins was saying the team wanted Parson to travel out to the West Coast with the Grizz.  Then stay in Cali to play these two games with the Hustle there.  He said no.

so Chancun lied

id just send him home

he cant possibly be a good presence in the locker room- not saying he isn't chummy with the guys but he represents a bad idea/mistake

If Chandler Parsons was not being a distraction to the team we wouldn't be reading about this in the news.  He would have handled it behind closed doors.  Instead he's getting the word out to the press to create waves.

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

If Chandler Parsons was not being a distraction to the team we wouldn't be reading about this in the news.  He would have handled it behind closed doors.  Instead he's getting the word out to the press to create waves.

Sure is, and telling lies to create his own spin

9 hours ago, Father Pat said:

1. Was Parsons asked By the Grizzlies to go to the G league? 

2. Has Parsons went to the G league or not?

Saying Parsons hasn't refused is being dishonest. You are purposely hiding truth with semantics. Again, have there not been thousands of D/G league assignments over the years? You've been following NBA basketball for awhile, so how many times over all the years of the D and G league have you ever heard a player making the old "I need a timetable" schtick? How many times Grizzled Vet? NEVER, and there is a reason for that. It actually saddens me that you would champion this.

It's not semantics.  Throwing a simple condition on or request is not the same as refusing to go.

Wife: Do you want to go to the movies?

Husband: OK, as long as it isn't a romantic comedy.

Wife: You never want to go to the movies anymore!

Boss: I need someone to travel to Nashville, can you go?

Employee: Sure, just tell me what the plan is and how long.

Boss: What? I need dedicated employees!

Teenager: Can I go out tonight?

Parent: Sure, be home by midnight.

Teenager: You never let me go out.

Wallace: I want you to go play with the Grizzlies.

Parsons: Give me a timeline.

Fans: Parsons refuses to go to Southaven.

4 hours ago, Gradey said:

So let me get this timeline straight to see if it makes sense, because it actually sounds like BS (their story, not you heard it, I believe you) and no one should buy it.  Do you really believe the plan was to have Parsons "stay in Cali" over Christmas for 4 days with  no team, and a likely return to his home in Florida?  Look at the timeline.

Travel with the Grizzlies on Dec 16th for the Warriors game, practice with Grizzlies and ride the bench until the team returns after the 4th West Coast game on the 23rd.

He flies home to Florida over Christmas and return to California when the Hustle arrive, at the earliest on the 26th, to play their game on the 27th. Play and practice with Hustle until they return after the game on the 29th, so he could come home to be with the Grizzlies?

So I'm expected to believe that the plan was to have Parsons have only 1 practice before first playing with the Hustle and not be around the Grizzlies for a week, just so they could have him play in California, even though he wasn't going to be physically staying in California, nor was there any team to practice with in California?  

I know and understand the Parsons frustration; him sitting out for 2 more years is no solution.

13 hours ago, memphis slim said:

the drawback is if you quote him 3 games at the g-level and he is still not ready...then what?

what do you think this will do to a guy like d. brooks or k. anderson? what would the organization be telling them about dedication and endurance by strolling his butt out there to see what he can give while taking away their minutes..?

im not the hugest nfl fan, but they have this type of scenario correct. those teams don't care your status- you earn it game in and game out. yes, the non-guaranteed contracts are ruthless, but it rewards the opposite of chancun's actions.

I'd have him play home games in southaven until he proves to be ready. I'd want to see 3-5 games of @30 minutes per...

the griz pay him dearly for his time and travels. this attitude that we are doing him wrong/rubbing his nose 'in it' somewhat is a laughable stance.

the bigger question to me- do you think he will get a vet minimum contract in the league after this contract expires (thank all things holy)..? I don't see it. if that is the case, then why not talk retirement? I don't wish him ill, but I don't see his body allowing him to play.

slim.  

There are two ways to look at this

1. What do you (or Grizzlies) want to do?  In this case, it is send him down to the Hustle indefinitely.

2. What can you do?  Send him down with a prescribed plan.

Just like during free agency, you have to act within the CBA.  So I'm trying to make some lemonade out of a lemon. If people think he is giving money back, they too are in some world of make believe. 

If Parsons wants a timeline, or he won't go, then you give him a timeline and a plan. 

Isn't it better to have him play 2 - 4 games with the Hustle vs sitting him on the bench or sending him home?

There are 3 outcomes:

1. He gets hurt

2. He plays average to poorly.

3. He plays well.

If 1 or 2 happen, so what?  It doesn't mean you have to play him on the Grizzlies and take up those minutes from our superstars of Shelvin Mack and Garrett Temple.  More likely he takes more time to rehab, and we are in the same exact boat as now.  Maybe he does get hurt and the team gets an injury exemption. 

But what if #3 happens?  If the team is playing well, you still don't have to play him.  But what if they have lost 12 out of 16 or 14 out of 20, why wouldn't you want him to be playing?

If the goal is to have Chandler eventually cut $1 million off of a buyout, then the team is on the right track.  Just send him home if he is the distraction all here are saying he is.  

If the goal is to win games, then maybe don't worry about disrupting Mack and Temple's minutes.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's not semantics.  Throwing a simple condition on or request is not the same as refusing to go.

Parsons participated in four 5-on-5 scrimmages over the past two weeks, but Dunleavy said the Grizzlies have given Parsons and his representation no sense of when Parsons will be activated.

According to Dunleavy, the franchise expressed that it wishes to see how Parsons responds to more 5-on-5 scrimmaging before activating him.

Memphis Grizzlies forward Chandler Parsons grabs a rebound against the Atlanta Hawks during action of their home-opener at the FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn., Friday, October 19, 2018.Buy Photo

Memphis Grizzlies forward Chandler Parsons grabs a rebound against the Atlanta Hawks during action of their home-opener at the FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn., Friday, October 19, 2018. (Photo: Mark Weber, The Commercial Appeal)

The 30-year-old forward has been medically cleared to play for over a week after rehabilitating from knee soreness that kept him out since Oct. 30. 

One option presented to Parsons during a recent meeting with the Grizzlies' front office was a G-League assignment with the Memphis Hustle for an unspecified length.

He declined, favoring the option of 5-on-5 work during Grizzlies' practices.

Dunleavy said he and Parsons had no problem with Parsons playing in a G-League game or practicing with the Memphis Hustle.

"But we weren't going to send him there without a plan and they didn't want to commit to an exact amount of time," Dunleavy said. "Ridiculous request for a proven veteran player in this league.

Yep, it does read that Parsons is willing to go to the Hustle if the Grizzlies have a plan which they don't.

It's the exact post I laid out above about wives/girlfriends and movies.

If you refuse someone's ticket offer to a Grizzlies game because they won't tell you where the seats are located, it doesn't mean you refuse to go to Grizzlies games, nor are you refusing to ever buy tickets.

If you refuse a friend's offer to hang out and do hookers, blow, and maybe some shoplifting, it doesn't mean you refuse to be with that friend.

If Parsons refuses the Grizzlies offer to go the Hustle without a plan, it doesn't mean he refuses to go play with the Hustle.

43 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Yep, it does read that Parsons is willing to go to the Hustle if the Grizzlies have a plan which they don't.

If you refuse someone's ticket offer to a Grizzlies game because they won't tell you where the seats are located, it doesn't mean you refuse to go to Grizzlies games, nor are you refusing to ever buy tickets.

If you refuse a friend's offer to hang out and do hookers, blow, and maybe some shoplifting, it doesn't mean you refuse to be with that friend.

If Parsons refuses the Grizzlies offer to go the Hustle without a plan, it doesn't mean he refuses to go play with the Hustle.

Parsons has ZERO leverage w/ regard to dictating terms of play. If the team that pays you 100m says go play for the G-League and we're not sure for exactly how long, you suck it up and go earn your money. You don't get your agent to bad mouth the franchise and create even more turmoil than we already have. Parsons has been nothing but garbage for the Grizzlies and if he wants to contribute to the team he'll stop being a diva, accept his G-League assignment and put in the work.

1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

Parson's has ZERO leverage w/ regard to dictating terms of play. If the team that pays you 100m says go play for the G-League and we're not sure for exactly how long, you suck it up and go earn your money. You don't get your agent to bad mouth the franchise and create even more turmoil than we already have. Parsons has been nothing but garbage for the Grizzlies and if he wants to contribute to the team he'll stop being a diva, accept his G-League assignment and put in the work.

Like I wrote above, you're confusing what you want to do and what you can do.

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement gives Parson's a lot of leverage, so just like any team, you try to work within it.  The Grizzlies also have the right to send him home and have him sit for 2 years.  That's fair, too.

It doesn't help the Grizzlies, so they should do what they can.

Father Pat posted the quote above.  He's not asking for a limited number of games or practices, just some indication that Wallace has a plan.

19 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Obviously the plan was for him to play for the Hustle and show he is NBA ready. So you tell me, how long is that? Your analogies all have definite circumstances. There is no definite timetable until he is NBA ready. What he is asking for is an impossible answer and that is why he is asking for it, and is also why no other player ever has. Unless if you do know exactly when Parsons will be NBA ready, in which case you might want to loan Wallace your crystal ball.

You also refuse to acknowledge his history. His history warrants an open ended G league assignment due to the years of his inability to properly perform his duties. The timetable he seeks is an unknown. To deny that would be willful ignorance.

5 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Obviously the plan was for him to play for the Hustle and show he is NBA ready. So you tell me, how long is that? Your analogies all have definite circumstances. There is no definite timetable until he is NBA ready. What he is asking for is an impossible answer and that is why he is asking for it, and is also why no other player ever has. Unless if you do know exactly when Parsons will be NBA ready, in which case you might want to loan Wallace your crystal ball.

You also refuse to acknowledge his history. His history warrants an open ended G league assignment due to the years of his inability to properly perform his duties. The timetable he seeks is an unknown. To deny that would be willful ignorance.

Seems really logical but some folks refuse to understand why the Grizz’ request makes perfect sense and Chancun is being a whiny crybaby.

17 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I don't refuse to acknowledge his history, but I just understand a little bit about the CBA, and I don't have a strong trust in Chris Wallace that you share. Yes, by all that's logical, he shouldn't even be receiving a paycheck this year, nor next, but so what, that's what in the CBA so the team will pay him. You are trying to think logically outside the CBA, and I'm thinking within it's rules. I doubt you find anything optimistic in any of my posts about Parsons.

I don't have faith that he will return and be a contributor.

I don't believe he's the answer to the Grizzlies slide.

But I can see what is going on now, and if nothing changes, nobody will be any better off in 2 weeks if no plan is offered.  

If the Grizzlies just smartly offered a 2 week max plan, they push the PR ball into his court.  In 2 weeks, he returns to the parent club having played in legit games and full practices.  You are acting like after that, there is no going back down there for him.  If he's not ready, he still doesn't play on the team, you offer another restricted plan.  I don't need a crystal ball if I just make a logical plan.  

There are absolutely no drawbacks of offering him a short term plan.   When it's over, you make the next short term plan which might be another Hustle assignment.  Who cares? 

Then there's two choices for Chancun Parsons:

1. Go to the G-league and get on the bus like everyone of your Hustle teammates has to, and when you've played at least 2-4 weeks without breaking down like you always do, you can join the end of the Grizzlies bench.

2. Spend the next 18 months in Cancun, you're not going to play, you're not going to wear our jersey, and you're not welcome or allowed to attend practices, games or locker room entry

TAKE THAT FOR DATA

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Co-sign.

Just send his azz home. 

Parsons is a joke.

This is funny...

Like Grizzled Vet has stated, the CBA limits what the Grizzlies can do.  Many love the CBA when it is sticking it to the owners, they love it when the players are "getting their share" but when it starts to hurt their teams in the win/lose column they start complaining.

The CBA gives the players a lot of leverage, guaranteed contracts, the ability to decline being sent down, the opportunity to have their personal doctors evaluate their injuries and much more.

Bottom line is I don't believe Parsons will ever contribute much to this team, but that's not his fault, it's the FO fault.  They knew his history, they gambled and lost.  You can't blame the cards, you called hit me...

It's professional sports, players get hurt... Parsons is doing what every other player would and has done and every fan on this board for that matter, taking the money that was guaranteed him.

I'm not a Parson's fan, I didn't think they should have ever signed him but I don't blame him, I blame the FO and only the FO.

As far as him "taking minutes", you guys sound as if we don't have minutes to give, like those guys that are out there are actually performing well.  There are tons of minutes to give on this team for anyone that might help us... there are only 3 players I would be concerned about taking minutes from, all others are fair game.

Such eternally hopeful and forgiving fans is part of the reason why Chris Wallace can be allowed to run this team into the ground. I can't believe some here still think Chancun can contribute to this team. 

After all his past theatrics, at the beginning of the season at the penning of this 'heartfelt' letter, folks were rooting for him. NOW, mister back to square one after 3 games and nonsense whining to the media ppl STILL want to see him on the court. 

This is masochism.  

I'm old school.  If you work for someone and they ask you to do something, you do it without whining and attitude.

However, I'm also a realist and know that today's player / employee has more leverage and thus has a sense of entitlement.

So why not "ask" him if he would play with the G League team for 5 games and then we'll have a sit down and evaluate where we are at?

The toughest part of management is dealing with people.