Adrenalize74

Chandler Parsons - Note to Memphis

go parson

23 hours ago, lions said:

chris Wallace was the one who offered chandler parson that contract , some one who drinks and drives  then hits or kill some one  should be put in prison for LIFE

Actually Portland tried to get him too. In fact McCollum tweeted out that they got lucky he didn’t sign with them which seems to support the idea that Parsons chose Memphis over Portland.

13 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Get help, guys. 

Get outside of the house more, guy.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:42 AM, ACGrizz said:

Get help, guys. 

On 1/22/2020 at 7:48 AM, chipc3 said:

+1

If Parsons had taken an injury retirement last season when the Grizzlies wanted, he'd have gotten all his money but been off the team's books at the beginning of this season.

Why has Parsons played only 54 minutes this year for the Hawks?

The same reason he rarely saw the court in Memphis:

CHRONIC KNEE PROBLEMS.

Is this the 5th year of chronic knee problems?

What team, even in China, is gonna give this guy his next contract?

He has already earned more than 130 million. His net worth is at least 50 million.

Please help me understand why he is not a leech, why he is a team guy.

Do I need aversion therapy?

Before you answer, carefully study this picture and tell me who is Parsons and who is the Grizzly fan.

health-beauty-aversions-health_care-psyc

I'm afraid you don't understand how the injury retirement salary exclusion works.

In order to remove the salary of a player from a team's cap due to a career-ending injury, the team must waive him and then apply to the NBA for a salary exclusion, after a minimum period of 1 year since his last regular season game. Then the decision to approve or reject the request is made by a team of physicians selected by the league and the Players Association. Nowhere does the player play a role in that process.

My comment was with respect to the fact that your initial reaction to news of a person being hit by a drunk driver and sustaining injuries was "this guy's a leech/makes me want to puke/etc." This guy hasn't been relevant at all for the Grizzlies for a while and it's kind of weird you harbor such ill feelings towards a guy that just had a serious accident in a scenario that kills thousands of people every year. Move on, enjoy your life. At the end of the day, this is just sports.

I have no irrational hatred toward Chandler, but for he and his lawyer to claim this wreck ended his career is a joke. His career ended with the knee surgeries, he just happened to find a GM dumb enough to extend it with the biggest albatross of a contract in NBA history.

2 hours ago, KyleB said:

I have no irrational hatred toward Chandler, but for he and his lawyer to claim this wreck ended his career is a joke. His career ended with the knee surgeries, he just happened to find a GM dumb enough to extend it with the biggest albatross of a contract in NBA history.

It's not irrational for a lawyer to make this claim when making an injury settlement.  It's not basketball analysis.

And has been discussed plenty of times, the Grizzlies were taking a swing for the fence with the signing of Parsons.  They weren't going to be better standing pat, and while it is tempting to look through the FA list that year to see who would have been a better signing, we could hope Harrison Barnes would have signed here, but a whole lot of the other potential targets ended up duds as well, just less broken down.  And the fact still remains, that besides Parsons, there really hasn't been any high end free agent sign here, even when team was winning. 

As much heat as Wallace deservedly takes, and I still believe that he/FO mishandled Parsons return last year, there is a big difference between building up a low 20 win team and turning them into a better team, and turning a good team into a regular competitor in the playoffs and possibly a championship team.

10 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I'm afraid you don't understand how the injury retirement salary exclusion works.

In order to remove the salary of a player from a team's cap due to a career-ending injury, the team must waive him and then apply to the NBA for a salary exclusion, after a minimum period of 1 year since his last regular season game. Then the decision to approve or reject the request is made by a team of physicians selected by the league and the Players Association. Nowhere does the player play a role in that process.

If a player chooses to retire, you don't consider that to be a role in the process?

I think one doctor can make the decision:

"The determination as to whether an injury or illness is career ending is made by a physician jointly selected by the league and players association, or by a Fitness to Play panel "

The link to the rule is in the message below. I cited this rule a year ago.

https://boards.grizzliesonline.com/topic/20938-woj-parsons-to-leave-grizzles-indefinitely/?do=findComment&comment=861704

At that time the FO wanted Parsons to play in the G League. Parsons refused. Why was there such a struggle about this? Because Parsons had played under 10 games at the beginning of the season. If the Grizzlies were trying for this exemption, the 1 year period would start then. And if they could get cap relief, it would be at the start of this current season.

I know there are variables involved, but it should have started with Parsons facing reality about his knee injuries and deciding for himself to take an injury retirement. Can another team pick up a player off waivers if he chooses to retire?

As for the doctors, I've had 2 knee surgeries from sports. I know a lot of it has to do with "do you feel pain when ..."  Parsons is still in the NBA because he tells them, "I feel fine." This lasts until he has to spend time running up and down the court at full speed.

His time with the Hawks is more of the same. The FO was right last year. His basketball career was over then but he is a leech.

If a player retires voluntarily, his entire salary remains in the books. The only way to get salary removed is the one I cited. Not to mention that by asking Parsons to play in the Hustle the FO was explicitly stating he was fit to play.

Again, you’re ignoring the fact that in order to claim the salary exemption the team has to first waive the player. If that’s what the team wanted they should have waived Parsons right there and then. Of course then it would only take a team picking him up from waivers to screw the plan.

I have no love for Chandler Parsons but this was in no way his fault.

....breaking news....Chandler Parsons is NOT our problem....anymore...

i wish him the best life possible...but as a basketball player in Memphis he was the biggest disaster ever...

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

If a player retires voluntarily, his entire salary remains in the books. The only way to get salary removed is the one I cited. Not to mention that by asking Parsons to play in the Hustle the FO was explicitly stating he was fit to play.

Again, you’re ignoring the fact that in order to claim the salary exemption the team has to first waive the player. If that’s what the team wanted they should have waived Parsons right there and then. Of course then it would only take a team picking him up from waivers to screw the plan.

I have no love for Chandler Parsons but this was in no way his fault.

I am stating now and did state a year ago that I believe it is his fault.

He refuses to face reality. He has suffered career ending injuries, and yet he continues to tell doctors the opposite. The proof is in the pudding, meaning his obvious failure to perform. As far as playing basketball, he is crippled.

Take another look at him in the clip I cited a year ago:

Here he is limping around at the Moda Center in Portland on 12/19. That was 2 months after the "fluid build-up."

As I said earlier, the G League ask was an effort to get him to face reality. I don't believe that would have restarted the 1 year clock.

I purposefully asked you this question above:

8 hours ago, tangogriz said:

Can another team pick up a player off waivers if he chooses to retire? 

Here is the part of the rule, that I cited last year, that I believe applies:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q61

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

The team can apply to have the player's salary excluded starting on the first anniversary of the player's last regular season or playoff game, and not before the one-year anniversary of the first regular season game for which the player was on the team's roster under his current contract. If the player played in fewer than 10 games in the last season in which he played, the team can apply on the one-year anniversary of the player's last regular season or playoff game, or 60 days after his last game in the current season, whichever is later.

Again, I am stating now and did state a year ago that this all depended on Parsons facing reality, admitting his injury and choosing to retire. The FO did not waive him because he refused to do so. He would have signed with another team.

I know that you have a great understanding of the rules. I have learned a lot from you. But I do not yet see where you have shown me the error in my logic.

Why would any player willingly retire while they're under contract? They would want to fight to make their way back and earn whatever penny they can from it. The team let him play even after the whole dleague debacle so I guess they didn't think he needed to retire either. Didn't need to go to the dleague either after all.

edit- I just remembered, look at Bosh. Took him what 3 years of fighting with the doctors to call it quits. Think Miami got cap relief more than year after he last played.

1 hour ago, cdp said:

Why would any player willingly retire while they're under contract? They would want to fight to make their way back and earn whatever penny they can from it. The team let him play even after the whole dleague debacle so I guess they didn't think he needed to retire either. Didn't need to go to the dleague either after all.

Yes, and I wrote this last season when this idea came up.

Parsons was capable of playing last year and the evidence that any committee would have look at suggested he wanted to play and could play.

After the All Star break, he logged the most games of any Memphis Grizzlies player besides Delon Wright and Justin Holiday.

The Grizzlies were willing to send him on rehab to the Hustle so they would not have been able to say that he was unable to play.

Parsons wanted to play, and probably still wants to play.  That's what makes NBA players great, they love playing basketball.  The "big" conflict between Wallace and Parsons was because he wanted to play (and a player yelling at a GM is hardly a big conflict).

Like I wrote last season when people were worried that bring Parsons back would disrupt chemistry of a team that lost about every game from mid- December through January was that the only way to get out of this contract was to actually play him.    He had to get injured worse because only in the land of make believe would Parsons voluntarily retire.

I was a Parsons fan for many years, until I saw him limping around on the court in the video linked above. That was after 2 months of rehab and a short time before the big blowup with the FO. He claimed to be ready to play.

I see plenty of room for differing opinions on this. I'll just say why he should have wanted to retire.

If he retired, he would still be paid every dime of his contract.

Parsons has injured knees that, with more playing time, will cause more problems when he's older, potentially very serious problems. Luckily, doctors have gotten good at knee replacement surgery.

When his knees allow him to stay on the court awhile, he's an embarrassment. He can't run well and certainly can't move laterally.

He had a very negative effect on the team that signed his 94 million contract.

I believe that the team understood his injuries and wanted him to retire.

He is now in the 5th year of fighting back. There is no fighting back from his injuries. There is no honor or greatness here. There is the case of a player who wants to be around the game and has a contract.

Parsons is rich. His yearly capital gains are probably a heck of a lot more than an improbable next contract. He loves the game.

But, having hung around this long, his reputation is shot. Many consider him the biggest thief in NBA. That is his legacy in the game he loves.

I believe that I would have retired in his situation. It would have been a legacy plus. And if I didn't, I would understand why some call me a leech.