New_Sacred_Cow

Official Media Day 2018 Thread

Saw some media day coverage. Lots of new players. I'm anxious to see how the team shapes up. I wonder how Kyle Anderson will fit into whatever they are trying to do. They have veteran guys, and I have no doubt a solid plan or philosophy on style of play will be evident. But I just don't see a lot of proven, elite NBA talent on the roster. That doesn't mean they won't be good, but I can see why many don't expect them to do much this year.

It seems the key to a playoff bound post season will be if Marshon Brooks and Wayne Seldon can have breakout years. If they hang their hat on D, which is not a bad strategy, who is that "Dawg" that will enforce that mentality nite in and nite out? Jamychal Green is the closest one I saw personality wise to fit that role, but even he admitted he's not the vocal leader type, and I'm not sure he has the skill set to be an elite defender in the league.

All in all I'll take a wait and see attitude toward this year. If nothing else it will be interesting.

4 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Saw some media day coverage. Lots of new players. I'm anxious to see how the team shapes up. I wonder how Kyle Anderson will fit into whatever they are trying to do. They have veteran guys, and I have no doubt a solid plan or philosophy on style of play will be evident. But I just don't see a lot of proven, elite NBA talent on the roster. That doesn't mean they won't be good, but I can see why many don't expect them to do much this year.

It seems the key to a playoff bound post season will be if Marshon Brooks and Wayne Seldon can have breakout years. If they hang their hat on D, which is not a bad strategy, who is that "Dawg" that will enforce that mentality nite in and nite out? Jamychal Green is the closest one I saw personality wise to fit that role, but even he admitted he's not the vocal leader type, and I'm not sure he has the skill set to be an elite defender in the league.

All in all I'll take a wait and see attitude toward this year. If nothing else it will be interesting.

The one guy I think has the chops to enforce is Jevon Carter.  But he's a rookie and has to prove he belongs first.

3 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

I didn’t see an Ivan Rabb interview, was/is he here?

I read where he was under the concussion protocol but not sure if he was at media day or not. He didn’t practice Tuesday 

45 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I like this kid. I really think that if it is in his power to be a star or overachieve or win a basketball game, he is going to do it.

I also think that Hollinger is getting better at finding talent. I think he had a rough first couple of years but now it seems like he is making the league look silly. 

Looking in the site today Im more scary than ever about our C depth, its so weak, its Gasol, a project in Rabb (too old school and bad defender) and a ? in Moore. Trading a combination of Parsons, Harrison, Rabb and picks for a backup C is a must; even if we take a player with a longer contract than him.

15 hours ago, Once_a_hater said:

Looking in the site today Im more scary than ever about our C depth, its so weak, its Gasol, a project in Rabb (too old school and bad defender) and a ? in Moore. Trading a combination of Parsons, Harrison, Rabb and picks for a backup C is a must; even if we take a player with a longer contract than him.

You seem to have forgotten our top draft pick who I expect to play center for the largest part of his career.  JJJ will be fine there.  6'11"/242lbs.  Excellent defensive skills and an elite rim protector.

Why is Rabb a bad defender?  Of all our players returning from last season he was tied with Jamychal for second best defensive rating.  I don't think they will use him at center much anyway.  I expect Gasol and JJJ to hold that spot for the vast majority of minutes.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

You seem to have forgotten our top draft pick who I expect to play center for the largest part of his career.  JJJ will be fine there.  6'11"/242lbs.  Excellent defensive skills and an elite rim protector.

Why is Rabb a bad defender?  Of all our players returning from last season he was tied with Jamychal for second best defensive rating.  I don't think they will use him at center much anyway.  I expect Gasol and JJJ to hold that spot for the vast majority of minutes.

Site is putting JJJ as a pf and Rabb as a Center like they should.

Rabb is too slow to play pf and JJJ really can play C, but seems he will be starting as pf, so Rabb will have a couple of minutes at C. Maybe Im wrong but I believe he does not worth to be devoloped. I would prefer a more experienced player as the backup to Gasol, that would give us the ability to give Marc some nights offs.

I think FO covered MC situation well; Mack, Carter and Harrison; but did not give Gasol the same cover. Gasol has quite the same risk of injurie and more age than MC.

You do realize JJJ can start at PF and be the primary Backup center at the same time right?

2 hours ago, Allen said:

You do realize JJJ can start at PF and be the primary Backup center at the same time right?

Yeah, but can we rest Marc for a couple of games and have a rotation of JJJ/Green/Rabb and still win games?

1 hour ago, Once_a_hater said:

Yeah, but can we rest Marc for a couple of games and have a rotation of JJJ/Green/Rabb and still win games?

It's really too early to tell as he only played in 36 games as a rookie, but per minute he scored better than Green and was the best rebounder on the team.  If that's not worth developing, what is?  He also made solid decisions on the floor most of the time  though his turnovers were a bit high.  He also shot better than 80% from the free throw line.

I don't know why you think he's too slow for PF.  Are you sure you aren't confusing him with one of the other stiffs we had on the roster last season?  He shows a bit of skill in the post too.

Check out the YouTube link below.

46 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It's really too early to tell as he only played in 36 games as a rookie, but per minute he scored better than Green and was the best rebounder on the team.  If that's not worth developing, what is?  He also made solid decisions on the floor most of the time  though his turnovers were a bit high.  He also shot better than 80% from the free throw line.

I don't know why you think he's too slow for PF.  Are you sure you aren't confusing him with one of the other stiffs we had on the roster last season?  He shows a bit of skill in the post too.

Check out the YouTube link below.

I know Ivan, my main problemn with him is on D, but I might be wrong on him and he worth devoloping. I just wish we had more  safer and quality backup for Gasol, I think him and MC should play less than 72 games a year in the regular season and log less than 32 min a night to stay healthy and fresh for the Playoffs.