Greater Memphis Grind

Grizz trading Mclemore & DD for Garrett Temple

I don't know how the 2-way contracts play into the cap IF those guys play with the Grizzlies, but they are really close to the tax line.

According to Spotrac: $123,645,067 is the current and dead contracts, and $123,733,000 is the threshold, leaving cap space of only $87,933.

That's hardly even a couple of 10-day rentals.  That's basically about what they gave MarShon for his 10-day contracts and end of season minimum salary.

Spotrac has Omri Casspi with a cap figure of $2,176,260, when due to minimum salary rules, he only counts $1,512,601  against the cap.  We should have $751,592 available based on my computations.  Not enough to sign anyone and stay under the tax, but just enough to bring a two way player up for his 45 days and a couple of 10 day deals if needed.

17 minutes ago, GrizzGT said:

Spotrac has Omri Casspi with a cap figure of $2,176,260, when due to minimum salary rules, he only counts $1,512,601  against the cap.  We should have $751,592 available based on my computations.  Not enough to sign anyone and stay under the tax, but just enough to bring a two way player up for his 45 days and a couple of 10 day deals if needed.

Yes, Spotrac is not correct here. I get the same numbers as you, give or take a few thousand dollars.

On 7/17/2018 at 10:50 AM, Grizz&Grind said:

Yep.

But that's the past now.

How did we get SAC to agree to take Ben Mac and DD off our hands for a productive player?

Wow.

He's an OLD man ....dude is 32 + years old. 

Terrible trade

54 minutes ago, The REF said:

He's an OLD man ....dude is 32 + years old. 

Terrible trade

I have to disagree on it being a terrible trade.  We were going to cut/buyout one contract on our roster (probably Davis?).  Ben Mac has been terrible and has not played even remotely close to his contractual value....he is/was just BAD. 

So we got off of a contract for a player who there was no playing time for (because he sucked) and we got rid of a contract for a player we were looking to buy out.  In return we get what should be a legit rotational player.  We did have to give up a 2nd round pick and Mr Pera had to come out of his pocket for some "cash considerations"....but in terms of basketball this was a big win for the Grizz.

Sports Illustrated chimes in,,,

This was a shrewd deal by Grizzlies brass, accomplishing a few tasks in one quick swing. Temple is a reliable, well-regarded veteran who offers some shooting and defensive versatility to a team hoping to make the postseason. The 32-year-old averaged 8.4 points on 25 minutes per game last season, and joins new addition Kyle Anderson in a much-improved Memphis wing rotation. Temple is on an expiring $8 million deal and comes at little cost other than the second-rounder the Grizzlies offered up. He’ll help stabilize the rotation at a reasonable price.

3 hours ago, Gradey said:

I have to disagree on it being a terrible trade.  We were going to cut/buyout one contract on our roster (probably Davis?).  Ben Mac has been terrible and has not played even remotely close to his contractual value....he is/was just BAD. 

So we got off of a contract for a player who there was no playing time for (because he sucked) and we got rid of a contract for a player we were looking to buy out.  In return we get what should be a legit rotational player.  We did have to give up a 2nd round pick and Mr Pera had to come out of his pocket for some "cash considerations"....but in terms of basketball this was a big win for the Grizz.

Especially with Temple's contract is an expiring $8mil attached to a solid player and reported great locker room guy. Instead of $5-6mil attached to a legit bust so far. Temple would be waay easier to move to a playoff team that need that type of player. 6'6"-6'7" heady player? Thats gravy to a team trying to win now

31 minutes ago, tjazz22 said:

Especially with Temple's contract is an expiring $8mil attached to a solid player and reported great locker room guy. Instead of $5-6mil attached to a legit bust so far. Temple would be waay easier to move to a playoff team that need that type of player. 6'6"-6'7" heady player? Thats gravy to a team trying to win now

Bingo!

It just seems The Grizzlies gave up a lot for a journeyman player?  Ben Mac was on an expiring contract as well, I can see Moving DD for him, but DAAAM, him, DD and a 2nd round pick?  Seems a bit excessive to me.  Hey we all have an opinion and that's just my take on it.  Like I think we should have taken:

Wendell Carter as well.  SMH.

1 hour ago, The REF said:

It just seems The Grizzlies gave up a lot for a journeyman player?  Ben Mac was on an expiring contract as well, I can see Moving DD for him, but DAAAM, him, DD and a 2nd round pick?  Seems a bit excessive to me.  Hey we all have an opinion and that's just my take on it.  Like I think we should have taken:

Wendell Carter as well.  SMH.

SMDH at this post 

Zach Lowe on his podcast with Kevin Arnovitz just expressed similar views on the Western conference playoff race. 

Jon Roser mentioned what he said about the Grizz "I am telling you we are sleeping on the Grizzlies if the two stars are healthy. Slo-Mo will help them. Garrett Temple will help them a lot. A year of experience for their young guys. The Jackson kid is interesting."

Mentioned how Utah kinda reminds him of that Miami team that finished the season 30-11. Thinks they will be good and make the playoffs, but thought they may have overachieved last year. I'm actually seeing people saying they will win 50+ games next season.

Said the only locks are Golden State, Houston and later mentioned the Lakers, which I agree. 

2 hours ago, memphtucky said:

If you're questioning the pick of Jaren Jackson at this point you just want to complain about anything.

exactly. like a guy giving you a brand new sports car, and you complain about the color.

slim.

15 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

exactly. like a guy giving you a brand new sports car, and you complain about the color.

slim.

Or like becoming a top pick in the draft and complaining about the city. Oh wait 

I don't like this trade at all.  It is very similar to the Jeff Green trade.  I am hoping we are a top lottery team in 2021, unless something unforseen happens in the talent acquisition game before then.  So a 31-36 pick in what could be a draft deeper than 2018 will be a high cost to get off of players you could have cut and signed David Nwaba.

Jeff Green trade?? D@mn we b!tching about second rounders now. We got off 2 crappy players and got a role player with a solid vet presence that has good b’ball IQ and can actually shoot.

I like the way this trade gives us a team with enormous resilience. Take ANY player out - because there WILL be injuries and family issues and whatever - and we can still put nine real NBA players out there. We've had a few years now where that hasn't been true. 

27 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

Jeff Green trade?? D@mn we b!tching about second rounders now. We got off 2 crappy players and got a role player with a solid vet presence that has good b’ball IQ and can actually shoot.

That and Temple is better trade bait (better player and bigger expiring number) than either DD or BM should the season go off the rails early and they look to move players and acquire assets.

42 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I don't like this trade at all.  It is very similar to the Jeff Green trade.  I am hoping we are a top lottery team in 2021, unless something unforseen happens in the talent acquisition game before then.  So a 31-36 pick in what could be a draft deeper than 2018 will be a high cost to get off of players you could have cut and signed David Nwaba.

I think the salary + cash considerations hits better the salary cap, or they may trade Temple in the deadline. 

In essence, we cut DD and traded Ben McLemore and a 2nd Round pick for Garrett Temple.

I don't know why people think this is such a bad trade?

DD was probably getting cut anyways, and we upgraded from a totally useless player, to a solid vet that at worst will be a help to our young players.

3 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

In essence, we cut DD and traded Ben McLemore and a 2nd Round pick for Garrett Temple.

DD was probably getting cut anyways, and we upgraded from a totally useless player, to a solid vet that at worst will be a help to our young players.

It's now obvious that Rabb and Selden were being held out of SL games because DD and Bmc were being dealt.

The exact question was asked  once in another thread.  The answer has now been confirmed.  Buh-bye dead-weight players.

1 hour ago, CarloJ63 said:

And let’s not forget by not cutting him and rather send him to the kings he doesn’t count against the cap.

2 hours ago, TimBC said:

I like the way this trade gives us a team with enormous resilience. Take ANY player out - because there WILL be injuries and family issues and whatever - and we can still put nine real NBA players out there. We've had a few years now where that hasn't been true. 

Agreed. I think this is a big plus. Especially since we all know our injury history