Greater Memphis Grind

Grizz trading Mclemore & DD for Garrett Temple

1 hour ago, BHZMAFIA said:

You were just arguing with me the other day about how our team had veterans on it in prior years and that's what helped us with our great defense. Refs allowed them to get away with certain things that younger guys can't. Now, we add a solid 3D vet to a young team that may take the place of a younger guy without the respect from refs and you still wanna downplay it lol.

All of this is ASSUMING we have a top 5 pick in the 2nd round come 2021. At the end of the day, we don't know how that pick in the 2nd round will end up.

What I do know is that we are trying to give up our pick next year to Boston making it closer to the bottom end of the 1st round as possible, so there's no serious pick debt owed. We got the better player in the trade and a guy that can help us this year achieve that. 

Ion like this version of Dwash. We use to agree on a lot and now we at odds. What's that about? Lol

I don't know man.. This is like old times for me when Dwash and i used to argue over Zbo and tony and direction of the team.   I get a little uneasy when we all agree with each other too much.   I have been on the same page with my archnemesis @chipc3 too much already!!

50 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Backup center is the least important position in NBA basketball. We have a variety of players who can step in and play backup center minutes.

DD, JJJ, and DJ Stephens were a highly effective front line in summer league.  Blocking shots and rebounding on one end and getting dunks and layups on the other end.

The Grizzlies missed the turn to Small Ball when we took Hasheem Thabeet in 2009.  Maybe the league is getting big again.  The Atlanta Hawks going small with Trae Young in a Big Man Draft probably signals that the era of Small Ball is over or nearly so.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Just thinking this through though, but what against what teams is the center position vital now?

The Warriors rolled the dice on getting DeMarcus Cousins as their (presumably) backup center of the future (at least for the upcoming season).  

I am not betting against the Warriors.

This draft featured some high level centers. And, JJJ is considered (for now) to be a 4 but he has the height/length of a center.  

You can't draft big AND have a throwback center (Marc Gasol) as part of the core and still argue against big men....

39% from three last season

Plays some PG in addition of SG and SF  ...this is what the roster needs to be padded with.  

Prediction...we will sign Alex Len to a vet's minimum contract.  

And why, do you ask?

Remember 2 years ago when a very bad Phoenix team beat us twice in the space of a couple of weeks?

Alex Len outplayed Marc Gasol in both games, and our FO tends to fall in love with those players who played well against us.

2 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

39% from three last season

Plays some PG in addition of SG and SF  ...this is what the roster needs to be padded with.  

Amen! Especially, while we develop our future Superstar we need to load up on solid versatile players.  

I bet SAC did this to clear out money to make a run at Rodney Hood...

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

I figured they did it because they are Sacramento.  I mean their GM is Vlade.

Great deal,  basically they did a similar deal of what I proposed for Korver, but they kept Rabb instead of DD and gave money instead too. But Im fine with it, althought I prefer Korver' deal.

Roster with 2way players included:

MC/Harrison/Carter

Dillon/Temple/Marshon/Simmons

Anderson/Selden/DJ

Jam/CPars/Jarell/Casspi

Gasol/3Js/Rabb

I expect Markel to take Simmons roster spot in training camp if they invite him, but this will be 17 + 3 invites for the camp.

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Amen! Especially, while we develop our future Superstar we need to load up on solid versatile players.  

If so will be a good deal for both parts, which FAs they signed already?

I like it.  We traded the two players I thought needed to go.  I still like Jarrell, although he should only play PF.  He was awful at SF.  

He learned the game late, so I have hopes that he will find his niche.  But if we have to lose another player, he's on the chopping block.... unless he turns out to be a viable option at C.

Possible side bonus: If things aren't going well, either for Temple or the team, his expiring contract may be somewhat appealing for several teams at trade deadline.

1 hour ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

Nice pick up.  Bringing a lot of high character ex San Antonio guys that will build a culture and be all about winning. 

YO

By my count:
Grizzlies have 3 former Spurs.

Spurs have 3 former Grizzlies.

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Generally, I agree, and I've believed that what is on the FA market is no worse than what DD offered, probably better, but probably outside the Grizzlies price range since they are right against the tax line.

Just thinking this through though, but what against what teams is the center position vital now?

every good team has a good to great player at the c position

philly/raptors/gsw/houston/okc/boston/denver/utah

so yeah if you wanna be a good team you better have good players that can the center.

Dante Cunningham

3 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

rudy gay, pau, and who else?

If we havent Jam I would be in favor of him as a FA. Talking about FA I beliche the Grizzlies is done dealing in this offeason

38 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Possible side bonus: If things aren't going well, either for Temple or the team, his expiring contract may be somewhat appealing for several teams at trade deadline.

Going off that as well, we have JaM that can be used as trade bait as well. That's 15+ million in trade "assets"/matching for salaries. 

Very solid move and they are quietly building one of the better passing teams in the league.

This roster is much more equipped for Mike to play off the ball than this past years.

Lots of Garret Temple love on here!

I doubt he is of much consequence this year or that he'll be here next year. I'd rather just keep the pick. I don't see him as being a better option than D. Brooks, Selden, Anderson, or even Parsons or M. Brooks. I'd actually rather get Simmons some extra spot mpg than win an extra game or two with Temple.

On the bright side he is a more attractive expiring than McLemore so there could be a subsequent trade in the works or something else at the deadline... If there really isn't anything else going on, i'd just call this a minimal loss for an incremental gain. This is literally; no big deal.

11 minutes ago, tennesseessio said:

On the bright side he is a more attractive expiring than McLemore so there could be a subsequent trade in the works or something else at the deadline

This