BHZMAFIA

Grizzlies 1 of 2 Teams Pursuing RFA Smart via S&T

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I was wrong

Shocking

?

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:
  1. It sounds like there is no truth to this or that it was something that was briefly discussed in the past
  2. Where would Marcus Smart fit on this team? He's a horribly inefficient player with no offensive game. He plays good d here and there but that's not worth over $10 mil. he came into the league as a PG and wants to start. We have a starting pG and I don't want a 6'3"-6'4" SG on this team. Not sure how effective he would be off of the bench

I just don't see where he fits on this team, seems like people are just getting excited over a name imo. 

Well if a defensive team is what you are going for, a guy capable of being an All defense team selection who rekes havoc would be a big help. Anderson isnt that guy. Smart is.

I just like that we are sticking our nose in and guys that we have actually heard of.  We are always very hush hush on our moves, so I'm glad we are least exploring and trying to improve.  I don't know if people are stereotyping Marcus Smart or holding past transgressions against him.  Please don't forget what Zbo stood for before he came here.   Marcus Smart may have been the hardest playing player on the Celtics.  I never saw him quit.  He fought for offensive rebounds and has a nice skillset as a combo guard.  We have no high level guards besides Mike Conley, that is reality.  Mike Conley has also spent most his time watching the last couple of years.

YO

It wouldn't surprise me if this could still happen, although the talks were prior to us obtaining Kyle.

The likelihood is slim, though. I kinda felt like the idea would be to have Conley surrounded by multiple ball handlers so he can be a scorer similar to how he was in the 2017 playoffs. Maybe nothing happens, maybe it does.

I saw a few people mention Brooks possibly not being ready to carry the load as the 2 guard and adding Smart would be ideal to start him next to Mike. 

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

6 million is on Bostons end (+125% +100K I think). From the Grizzlies end they are still taking in 12 million. So they would have to find a separate taker for someone like Jam since Boston doesnt have cap space. Im pretty sure this is how it works.

Yeah, that's what I was getting but the way it was written was a bit confusing, thanks to KBM and you for helping.

This alone explains why S&Ts are so less frequent now. The trade needs to be legal for both teams with potentially very different salaries.

This MAKES no sense, we had a chance to get Smart at the trade Deadline and 2 additional assets from the Celtics?

But now the Grizzlies want to do a Sign and Trade for him???? ?

Smart would give us a lot of stuff -- defense, toughness, rebounding, steals.  He can score a bit, and if his shooting comes around we have a core player for the future.

Might not be an All Star, but he's better than Jevon Carter, better than Andrew Harrison (sometimes), and gives you a lot of what we want from Wayne Selden.

I wouldn't miss Jam/McLemore either (assuming that would be the sign and trade with maybe a 2nd rounder thrown in).  

Conley, Smart, the Brooks Brothers, and Andrew Harrison would be a nice guard rotation.  With Selden adding guard depth plus depth at the 3 behind Slo Mo, Parsons, and Casspi.  

Then I would assume that JJJ gets more minutes right away with Rabb also getting solid minutes with Jam being shipped out.  

Could we STILL add a bargain basement big man to play some minutes at power forward?

We essentially need to get rid of one or two PFs from this team. We have JJJ, JaM, Martin, Casspi, Parsons, Rabb that all could and will be playing PF. Casspi and Parsons could play SF, but neither are that athletic anymore (Casspi could play it better at this point). There's potential with Rabb and obviously JJJ, we just signed Casspi and he's versatile, Parsons and going anywhere which means JaM and Martin are the most likely two to be gone.

I'd like to trade JaM and Martin (or cut Martin), pick up another decent scoring SF to either come off the bench or start depending, and sign another true Center, preferably Jahlil Okafor on a minimum deal.

Wasnt the Boston offer for Tyreke 2 second rounder, or Smart and 1 second rounder?, i would not be surprised if we traded 2 future 2nds for Smart after turning down Ainges offer at the deadline

I like Smart as a player and i'd support bringing him into the fold but the fit is a little iffy to me. If we did get him i'd just play him as a backup PG, but give him heavy mpg like 22mpg or something like that and just rest Conley for playoffs. I don't like him in a starting lineup and esp. with Anderson. Playing backup PG with shooters like Parsons and D. Brooks would blend well, or playing him with a point5 like Gasol would work okay too. Maybe some situational minutes at SG with Conley at PG would be good if we really wanna lock a certain somebody up.

I guess Green would be the main player of interest, but I think they might like Harrison also who would be redundant for us with the Smart import. I actually think the Celts would go for that if Smart agrees to it. 

I'd be fine with a 4 year 9mil contract like what the similarly limited Anderson got. That's a good raise from the 6mil/year that it is rumored BOS is offering. At this late date in the game that may be about what he could really expect.

Conley, Smart, Carter

Seldon, Brooks, Brooks

Anderson, Parsons

Jackson, Martin, Rabb, Casspi

Gasol, Davis, Rabb

How bout doing a S&T with the Nets for Jahlil Okafor. He'd give us some serious low-post offense off the bench. If we want to be that iconoclast kind of team that plays D and plays offense inside out, Okafor can make that work - at least the latter part. The guy can really score even if he's been devalued and passed over somewhat. I'd bet he like to sign with a team like ours that would appreciate him. He could keep a lot of tread off Marc's tires, also. I bet we could get him on a 1 or 2 year for around 6mil.

McLemore, Davis

for:

Okafor

1 hour ago, tennesseessio said:

How bout doing a S&T with the Nets for Jahlil Okafor. He'd give us some serious low-post offense off the bench. If we want to be that iconoclast kind of team that plays D and plays offense inside out, Okafor can make that work - at least the latter part. The guy can really score even if he's been devalued and passed over somewhat. I'd bet he like to sign with a team like ours that would appreciate him. He could keep a lot of tread off Marc's tires, also. I bet we could get him on a 1 or 2 year for around 6mil.

McLemore, Davis

for:

Okafor

Can you do a sign and trade for UFA? We could just sign him outright, but only on a minimum deal. 

21 hours ago, Dwash said:

Well if a defensive team is what you are going for, a guy capable of being an All defense team selection who rekes havoc would be a big help. Anderson isnt that guy. Smart is.

I really don't even know what being a defensive team is. Are people expecting the Grizz to go out there and shutdown opponents and hold them to 50 ppg or something? This roster ain't gonna do that. As was mentioned before, TA was a transformational defensive talent. We don't have anyone on the roster right now like that and probably won't get anyone like that. Even if we get Smart, I don't see where he plays on this team.  

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I really don't even know what being a defensive team is. Are people expecting the Grizz to go out there and shutdown opponents and hold them to 50 ppg or something? This roster ain't gonna do that. As was mentioned before, TA was a transformational defensive talent. We don't have anyone on the roster right now like that and probably won't get anyone like that. Even if we get Smart, I don't see where he plays on this team.  

I guess Slomo would have to go to the bench. I dont like the idea. I agree. There isnt enough offensive firepower.  I was going over the West last night. Its wishful thinking to hope for a crack to let the Grizzlies in. The Clippers come out the top 10 but are replaced by the Lakers as another 45+ win team. The Spurs will either  have Kawai play or replace him with a package of solid players (Derozan is the latest rumor).

If something like that happens, you got 6 teams with 2+ allstar "caliber" scorers (Warriors-3, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder, Wolves, Blazers) and two with a mega superstar with a strong support cast (Lakers, Pelicans). You then got the Jazz (one Allstar scorer, DPOY) and the Nuggets (one Allstar caliber and a deep roster especially if IT performs off the bench).

Then you got strong cores uprising at the bottom. Jordan, Barnes, Doncic, Smith forming at the bottom.  Booker, Ayton, Jackson, Warren, Ariza could do some second half damage. Even the Clippers with Sweet Lou, Bradley, Harris, Gortat wont just roll over and die.

Honestly where does Gasol, Conley, Brooks, Slomo and a 19 year old JJJ crack all of this firepower?

15 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Can you do a sign and trade for UFA? We could just sign him outright, but only on a minimum deal. 

Sorry, thought he was RFA. Apparently the 6xers declined his option before trading him.

I look at that Utah roster from last season and wonder how they won 48 games. They literally had one legit scoring option in that lineup after they traded away Rodney Hood. Mitchell averaged 20.5ppg  Their next best scorer ppg wise was Rudy Gobert. Their best perimeter scorer after Mitchell was Joe Ingles. 

Nothing about their roster set the world on fire offensively, however, they were elite defensively. They had a ton of +  defenders and DPOY who actually had a DBPM of 4.6 (Kyle Anderson had a 4.3 DBPM). 

We sit up here and talk about how Tony Allen lost his step for the last 3 seasons on here and now we act like he was the main reason our defense was so good. Yes, he was a big part of that, but lets not forget....we were an elite defensive team in our last healthy season . Lets not forget, in 2015-16, that same TA played in 64 games and our defense was outside of the top 10 because of we had no cohesion. We played 25+ players that year. The same reason why I think people are over exaggerating about last season. 

A team can be elite defensively and average/below average offensively and make the playoffs.We somehow made the playoffs in 15-16 without either offense/defense being elite. Utah, Portland, San Antonio, Boston, Miami all we mid-tier to below average offensively last season. Yet, those were your 2nd, 8th, 4th and 7th best defensive teams. That Spurs team without Kawhi last year was not that good on paper. That Portland team with those two great offensive options were not that great offensively. 

As I have to mention several times, this team when healthy is good. I look at the potential issues we may have and I can see other glaring issues with these other squads. Denver is probably going to be so bad defensively next year, it actually may not matter how good their offense is. Offense wasn't even their issue last year, yet they double downed on offense by adding IT. They were the 6th best offensive team in the league but was 26th defensively. When its all said and done, they are going to have to pull out those close games and get key stops when it matters. That's what kept them out of the playoffs last year. 

23 minutes ago, BHZMAFIA said:

As I have to mention several times, this team when healthy is good. I look at the potential issues we may have and I can see other glaring issues with these other squads. Denver is probably going to be so bad defensively next year, it actually may not matter how good their offense is. Offense wasn't even their issue last year, yet they double downed on offense by adding IT. They were the 6th best offensive team in the league but was 26th defensively. When its all said and done, they are going to have to pull out those close games and get key stops when it matters. That's what kept them out of the playoffs last year. 

Denver is hoping to out Offense Golden State, but we will see how that works. The lineup includes Gary Harris, Jamal Murray, Will Barton, Jokic, Paul Millsap, with the additions of Michael Porter and IT. Kind of the opposite of us, all good offensive players, with a couple above average defenders. Our lineup of Mike, Dillon, Kyle, JJJ, and Marc with Parsons, JaM, Selden, etc off the bench features mainly really good defensive players, with a couple above average offensive players. I would assume it will be a close race for the last two spots in the playoffs this year with Denver and us being right in that conversation. 

Marcus Smart ... would ... be ... AWESOME!  Dude is tough as nails and a big-time competitor.

2 hours ago, BHZMAFIA said:

I look at that Utah roster from last season and wonder how they won 48 games. They literally had one legit scoring option in that lineup after they traded away Rodney Hood. Mitchell averaged 20.5ppg  Their next best scorer ppg wise was Rudy Gobert. Their best perimeter scorer after Mitchell was Joe Ingles. 

Nothing about their roster set the world on fire offensively, however, they were elite defensively. They had a ton of +  defenders and DPOY who actually had a DBPM of 4.6 (Kyle Anderson had a 4.3 DBPM). 

We sit up here and talk about how Tony Allen lost his step for the last 3 seasons on here and now we act like he was the main reason our defense was so good. Yes, he was a big part of that, but lets not forget....we were an elite defensive team in our last healthy season . Lets not forget, in 2015-16, that same TA played in 64 games and our defense was outside of the top 10 because of we had no cohesion. We played 25+ players that year. The same reason why I think people are over exaggerating about last season. 

A team can be elite defensively and average/below average offensively and make the playoffs.We somehow made the playoffs in 15-16 without either offense/defense being elite. Utah, Portland, San Antonio, Boston, Miami all we mid-tier to below average offensively last season. Yet, those were your 2nd, 8th, 4th and 7th best defensive teams. That Spurs team without Kawhi last year was not that good on paper. That Portland team with those two great offensive options were not that great offensively. 

I believe you have become my favorite poster ?

Slightly sunshine leaning, backed up with facts and logic

Jam + Mclemore + 2x 2nds for Smart, in a S&T, I would believe that if we could work that package with Nets or Hawks, they could make a offer for the Celtics for us (3 years / 40 - 48 mil). Then if  Celtics match it so be it, if they dont, we get that deal done and give them extra picks. 

i don't really see how Smart would fit unless we move off Harrison too. Right now the depths lookin like;

Conley/Harrison/Carter

Brooks/Selden/Brooks/McLemore

Anderson/Parsons/Casspi

JJJ/Green/Rabb/Martin

Gasol/Davis

Package Mclemore+Martin for a center n call it an offseason. We don't really need Smart, especially for 12+ mill a year.

5 hours ago, BHZMAFIA said:

A team can be elite defensively and average/below average offensively and make th guye playoffs.We somehow made the playoffs in 15-16 without either offense/defense being elite. Utah, Portland, San Antonio, Boston, Miami all we mid-tier to below average offensively last season. Yet, those were your 2nd, 8th, 4th and 7th best defensive teams. That Spurs team without Kawhi last year was not that good on paper. That Portland team with those two great offensive options were not that great offensively. 

ESPN had Gobert as the leader in DRPM by a mile last last year over ANYONE (5.0 to Roberson 4.3 at second) and almost half a point two years ago (6.0 to Draymond 5.5). Dont be spinning these numbers having folks believe anything other than what Im sure you know. Gobert in that Utah system is far and away the most dominant defensive force in the league and Utah isnt even close to the same team when he is out.

You see what happened to Dedmons drpm (3.94...second among centers... two years ago) after he left the Spurs? Safe to say he missed the Spurs more than they missed him. Slo-mo nor Marc Gasol (the 33 year old aging big man who used to lead the league in this stat 5 years ago hasnt had a good drpm in years as Im sure you noticed) can come close to changing a game like Gobert.