Kevin B Moses

The Grizzlies have turned it around pretty quick: they will be sneaky good

1 hour ago, scooter said:

Sounds about right.

If they stay relatively healthy, I’m saying over with 41 wins

On 7/9/2018 at 6:41 AM, Dwash said:

I got first down on bumping this thread.

Bro no need. Just highlight once Kevin flops and says we will be sneaky bad this year.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:52 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

I know that some people on the board, when the Grizzlies try to make any move that isn't far far into the future, disregard it as trying to hang on to a low playoff spot.

In my opinion, the Grizzlies have assembled a team that is poised to make some noise not only in the regular season but also the playoffs.

Dillon Brooks is not just a regular starter on a middling to low playoff team.

He showed a lot last year that he could score sometimes even carry a team. He had 29, 24, 28, 21, 36. During the end of the year he was putting up monster numbers on a regular basis.

The kid can score, but more importantly he plays as a team player and he plays defense.

Add MarShon Brooks to a sneaky good pickup. I actually like MarShon Brooks more than I like Tyreke Evans. Tyreke Evans can score 40 points during the first three quarters and then choked away the fourth quarter like the dog he is. Which he did on several occasions.

the Grizzlies with Marshawn Brooks we get a guy that can give you the points that Tyree gives you without all the downsides, at a fraction of the cost.

Think about it this way the Grizzlies were able to replace Tyreke Evans with Kyle Anderson and MarShon Brooks. that's a hell of a value when you consider that MarShon Brooks can give you just about what tyreik does alone.

I'm also convinced that Dede Davis is ready to take the next step. He is going to be an important piece to the Grizzlies this year, with his defense and his minutes backing up Marc. I'll see him giving us as much as Kosta Koufos gave us in Kosta's prime.

not to mention that the Grizzlies got the 4th pick in the draft and drafted a player that compliments Marc extremely well. we are so much more athletic through the lead guard and the wing positions now that it's not even funny. We can pretty much guard anybody. 

and I haven't even spoken about Kobi Simmons or Wayne Selden or Jevon Carter, all of which are players that are up-and-coming.

I haven't even mentioned Andrew Harrison who has been getting better and better year after year.

It's not an exaggeration to say that if Mike goes down or Marc goes down, as long as they don't go down simultaneously I believe the Grizzlies can withstand it. Andrew Harrison is a very capable point guard and Deonte Davis is now a very capable Center.

but I think this year the Grizzlies are going to be healthy and they're going to win over 50 games.

I know every year that the board is going to come out and say all the Grizzlies are going to go 40 + 40 they'll be lucky to go .500 etc etc.

We're going to see. 

The Grizzlies now have experienced depth and they have mitigated their risks of injury derailing their season.

And what if Jaren Jackson Jr becomes a superstar in the first year. Well this team is definitely trying to get back to grit-and-grind they have a hell of a lot of offense of players on their team that can do stuff.

So all you boo birds come on out: I'm making a stand this season the Grizzlies are going to do something. And specifically Mike and Marc Gasol are going to prove why the Grizzlies kept them around.

Davis, McLemore and maybe Martin need to all be demoted, traded , or cut.  If Parsons can't play, send him to the "G" - make an example out of him that only guys who will play hard and tough every minute on the court stays with the big team.  The other rides a bus to Ft Wayne to play the Mad Ants.  There is no emphasis on creating a winning culture.  And it won't happen as long as guys who don't do jack 5hit are still on the big team's roster.  If a St Louis Cardinals pitcher has an ERA of 10, he get sent to memphis or Springfield.  If a Grizzy player is in his third season (cough-cough-Davis) and doesn't do squat... he should get similarly demoted.  Play big or play somewhere else.  This status quo of playing a decent half and getting outscored 30-10 in the 3rd quarter of games has to end.  Unless 22-60 is good enough.

I don't see DD playing unless the team has a traditional post that plays on the block.  I see him as either an 14-18 minutes  or 0 minutes, but the team will retain him* for those type of matchups. Besides Marc, I'm not sure another player on the team can defend that type of player for extended minutes.  

*Now, I still believe that if the team can sign a better free agent on a minimum contract for that role, they will strongly consider that. 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:21 PM, bhoyal said:

Davis, McLemore and maybe Martin need to all be demoted, traded , or cut.  If Parsons can't play, send him to the "G" - make an example out of him that only guys who will play hard and tough every minute on the court stays with the big team.  The other rides a bus to Ft Wayne to play the Mad Ants.  There is no emphasis on creating a winning culture.  And it won't happen as long as guys who don't do jack 5hit are still on the big team's roster.  If a St Louis Cardinals pitcher has an ERA of 10, he get sent to memphis or Springfield.  If a Grizzy player is in his third season (cough-cough-Davis) and doesn't do squat... he should get similarly demoted.  Play big or play somewhere else.  This status quo of playing a decent half and getting outscored 30-10 in the 3rd quarter of games has to end.  Unless 22-60 is good enough.

what say you now? 

another little 'vegas tidbit for yall.

we are 750/1 odds to cut down the nets this next year.

odds to win the wcf are somewhat head-scratching..

we are 400/1. new Orleans 70/1 and saspurs 60/1..dal 150-1..

im wanting to lay a wager on our over/under number for the year, but I don't think those lines are set yet..

I think we will be a really good regular season team. obviously, health will be a telling element, but I could see us sniffing 50....and I can almost guarantee that the o/u will be significantly lower than that..

what do yall think the official 'vegas o/u line will be for the good guys?

I say 40'...and I'd take the over all day long..

slim. 

13 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

im wanting to lay a wager on our over/under number for the year, but I don't think those lines are set yet..

I think we will be a really good regular season team. obviously, health will be a telling element, but I could see us sniffing 50....and I can almost guarantee that the o/u will be significantly lower than that..

slim. 

I was thinking the same thing. Hoping 40 and would take that in a heartbeat

1 hour ago, memphis slim said:

slim. 

What are the odds on us making the playoffs?

I don't think we will make the playoffs.  We have improved from last year (even without injuries).  So I am upping my prediction for last year (35 wins) to 40.  We are stronger at the wing, and 3J will be a great step forward, perhaps not this season.   I don't see our young players being able to compete in more than an average way.  We don't measure up to the rest of the west.  Once again, we should be good on defense, but where will our points come from?

10 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I don't think we will make the playoffs.  We have improved from last year (even without injuries).  So I am upping my prediction for last year (35 wins) to 40.  We are stronger at the wing, and 3J will be a great step forward, perhaps not this season.   I don't see our young players being able to compete in more than an average way.  We don't measure up to the rest of the west.  Once again, we should be good on defense, but where will our points come from?

no particular order

gsw

houston

minny

okc

utah

spurs

memphis

lakers

12 hours ago, memphis slim said:

slim. 

I don't think it will be 40....and I'd wager (not really) that the O/U win total will be lower than last years which was around 38. Given people remember the most recent season, and given how pessimistic Vegas has the team for the WCF, 35.5 is my guess for what I think Vegas will offer.

2 hours ago, scooter said:

GSW

HOUSTON

OKC

SAS

NOLA

LAKERS

PORTLAND

MINNY

GSW

Did you just forget how great Utah was last year?

44 minutes ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

I am only hoping for a competitive, fun to watch basketball team.  Nothing more or less.

YO

this

i don't mind one occasional tank  year to pick up an elite prospect like JJJ but no more please.  Id rather be 7-8 seed and actually win some regular season games.

I just want to be proud of this team again

23 hours ago, memphis slim said:

slim. 

Why? Two teams in the West won 50 games last year. What have we done to jump from 22 wins to upper 40's sniffing 50? I'm just trying to understand. 

10 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Why? Two teams in the West won 50 games last year. What have we done to jump from 22 wins to upper 40's sniffing 50? I'm just trying to understand. 

I'm not guaranteeing 50 at all myself.

But what I'm seeing with the addition of Temple and probably Mack, is a team with proven veteran backups for depth.  If a guy or two gets banged up... instead of trotting out a scrub team of "g" leaguers and obscure cast-offs in Grizz outfits and pretending they are an NBA team, you keep competing instead of tanking.  That's how it's done.  The other way is how you end up 22- 60.

18 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Did you just forget how great Utah was last year?

Nope.  Utah was not great.

9 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

The better question is what did we do to win 22 games last year.

Answer: Mike Conley played like 12 games. They sat Marc out numerous games; they let our vets (Tony and Zbo) walk. Parsons was a bust once again.

What I don't understand is the Grizzlies won nearly 50 games or close to it for seven eight years straight, they have one season where they win 22 games and now that's the norm?

Give me a break.

14 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The better question is what did we do to win 22 games last year.

Answer: Mike Conley played like 12 games. They sat Marc out numerous games; they let our vets (Tony and Zbo) walk. Parsons was a bust once again.

What I don't understand is the Grizzlies won nearly 50 games or close to it for seven eight years straight, they have one season where they win 22 games and now that's the norm?

Give me a break.

I really need some of what you're smoking because you are constantly in an alternate reality.

The last time the Grizz won 50 or more games was 2014-15. The majority of that team is gone or too old to contribute to another 50+ win team. The last three years this team has won 42, 43 and 22 games, limping trough injury for 3 straight years while getting rid of players who contributed. Marc played 73 games last year which means he basically played 90% of last season. they didn't sit him out several games, he may have sat on some back to backs but played 90% of the season and Parsons is still a bust. Yes, they picked up some ok vets who are career role players so i expect them to be back around 41 wins but to say 50 wins win only 2 teams won 50 games in the West last year just sounds like a stretch to me.

You answer your own question but the only relevant answer is Conley was out because Marc played 90% of the games, Parsons will still be a bust (your words) and TA and Z-Bo ain't coming back anytime soon.  

53 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I really need some of what you're smoking because you are constantly in an alternate reality.

The last time the Grizz won 50 or more games was 2014-15. The majority of that team is gone or too old to contribute to another 50+ win team. The last three years this team has won 42, 43 and 22 games, limping trough injury for 3 straight years while getting rid of players who contributed. Marc played 73 games last year which means he basically played 90% of last season. they didn't sit him out several games, he may have sat on some back to backs but played 90% of the season and Parsons is still a bust. Yes, they picked up some ok vets who are career role players so i expect them to be back around 41 wins but to say 50 wins win only 2 teams won 50 games in the West last year just sounds like a stretch to me.

You answer your own question but the only relevant answer is Conley was out because Marc played 90% of the games, Parsons will still be a bust (your words) and TA and Z-Bo ain't coming back anytime soon.  

Conversely you made it sound like the 22 wins last year was the normal we should expect.

But: if you count 2011-12, the 66 game season (they surely would have had 50 that year) the Grizzlies had 5 years of 50 or more wins and one year where they won 46 games.

You want to bring up the last 3 years as some sort of gocha point. 

The fact is that the Grizzlies won 22 games because they didn't want to win any more than that.

The two years before that yeah the Grizzlies won 41 and 42 games, but what you don't realize is they did that when everything else was going wrong in those seasons, catastrophic events.

The point is that even when the Grizzlies have everything go wrong they still win 40 games if they want to.

so no I can't agree with your assessment that a Grizzlies team that is trying hard to win games and have their stars healthy will still only manage 40 wins, that's ludicrous.

If everything goes wrong again this year then yeah I could see 40 wins. But if Mike and Marc are healthy this team is going to approach 50 and they won't be a bottom-feeder playoff team they'll be at least in the middle of the pack 4th or 5th seed.