Sign in to follow this  
Iron Mike

There goes your Gasol-Conley-Evans core

No.  It's not sarcastic.

Contrary to popular belief, Memphis is not L.A. or NYC or even Houston.  If they hadn't tied up 30 bazillion dollars on Parson, they could have offered bigger $$ to somebody to come here.  Where people don't want to go.  Not just #BuckFamba.  When was the last time Memphis was in the running for a big name free agent?  Just because you and I can tolerate the city of Memphis, doesn't mean other people want to put up with some of the issues.  

From a few hours ago...

Hearing for Sherra Wright, Accused of Killing NBA Star

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/sherra-wright/watch-live-hearing-for-sherra-wright-accused-of-killing-nba-star/

How good is that going to make the bluff city look?

We might be lucky Caspi and M. Brooks are already signed.

49 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

No.  It's not sarcastic.

Contrary to popular belief, Memphis is not L.A. or NYC or even Houston.  If they hadn't tied up 30 bazillion dollars on Parson, they could have offered bigger $$ to somebody to come here.  Where people don't want to go.  Not just #BuckFamba.  When was the last time Memphis was in the running for a big name free agent?  Just because you and I can tolerate the city of Memphis, doesn't mean other people want to put up with some of the issues.  

From a few hours ago...

https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/sherra-wright/watch-live-hearing-for-sherra-wright-accused-of-killing-nba-star/

Well for one Brooks averaged 20pts over 7 meaningless games not for the season and bouncing around to a bunch of teams isn’t a good thing. The dude was out of the league for 4 years for a reason 

And all cities have problems and the Wright situation was a domestic issue 

According to official statistics, Memphis must be having one hell of a lot of "domestic issues" then.

Compared to other mid-market NBA cities...

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/memphis_tn/charlotte_nc/crime

(Memphis crime dwarfs Charlotte's)

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/memphis_tn/new_orleans_la/crime

(It sure has Nawlins beat)

OKC

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/memphis_tn/oklahoma_city_ok/crime

Sacramento

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/memphis_tn/sacramento_ca/crime

------------------------------------------------------------

Even if the FO had champagne budget to go with champagne taste,  when is the next Kobe Bryant or even Jimmy Butler going to tell his agent that moving to Memphis is his dream so maybe he can be in the Gossett Automotive ads... you know, if you wants a new car, we Gossett.

Until there is $$$$$ to outspend the bad reputation of the city, plus the reputation of having a different coach every other year, and the bummer reputation of a team that just spent a season tanking and playing total scrubs other teams might not even have on their "G" team... Memphis will have to live on cast offs.  Marshon Brooks and Caspi are not scrubs.  They are decent role players.  But you can't live off head cases like Lance Stephenson that nobody would touch at the time and not fall.   And people on here were talking about bringing back washed-ed up scrub head case OJ Mayo??  Really?  At least Brooks and Caspi are in shape and have their head screwed on right.  

Saying Brooks is a decent role player is different than saying he should be a core part of the team 

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

Saying Brooks is a decent role player is different than saying he should be a core part of the team 

You said 7 games is too small of a sample size.  Give the guy a shot.  If he ends up "core" - then it was the bargain of the century and a genius move on the part of the FO.  Same for Caspi.  If they both end up decent contributors for a certain number of years, that too would exceed the pay rate and be a good thing.  Unlike Davis, I bet they will play hard every minute on the floor.  After watching last night, I'm convinced the guy has no motor at all.  He couldn't stop my 75 year old 5-foot-1 mother in law from driving to the rim.  His defense looked pathetic and he fouled out even though he couldn't stop anybody.  More Marshon, more Caspi... less Martin and ditch Davis.

56 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

You said 7 games is too small of a sample size.  Give the guy a shot.  If he ends up "core" - then it was the bargain of the century and a genius move on the part of the FO.  Same for Caspi.  If they both end up decent contributors for a certain number of years, that too would exceed the pay rate and be a good thing.  Unlike Davis, I bet they will play hard every minute on the floor.  After watching last night, I'm convinced the guy has no motor at all.  He couldn't stop my 75 year old 5-foot-1 mother in law from driving to the rim.  His defense looked pathetic and he fouled out even though he couldn't stop anybody.  More Marshon, more Caspi... less Martin and ditch Davis.

7 games? Give him a shot? Brooks has been a pro since 2011 and is almost 30.  This isn’t some young guy on the verge of breaking out. He is who he is.

To expect a dude who flopped out of the league to be a key contributor and a core piece just because he played well in 7 tank games is ludicrous. Caspi isn’t even worth mentioning 

then the FO should simply get  Leonard and Carmello

It's just that easy.  Go get those two and complete with GS right now.  I'm sure they want to move to Memphis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to get that "Memphis doesn't deserve to have a major sports franchise" feeling again.

Did you know that you have to pay a fee to apply to get on a wait list for hockey tickets in Nashville?  3 consecutive years of sell-outs.  The only games that will sell out at FedEx Forum next season are G.S. and maybe LeBron.  Memphis is going to lose this franchise.  The fans that are left seem to be unrealistic and delusional.  They are pissedoff that JJJ is not already KG or KD in his first week out of college at age 18,  want guys like OJ Mayo back, thought they were "gifted a superstar" when they got that mediocre backup forward from the Heat that time, think Davis and Martin are going to magically turn into starting quality NBA bigs, think that 6-8 Jam Green can be Gasol's backup center and I could go on for a lot longer but won't.

56 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

then the FO should simply get  Leonard and Carmello

It's just that easy.  Go get those two and complete with GS right now.  I'm sure they want to move to Memphis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to get that "Memphis doesn't deserve to have a major sports franchise" feeling again.

Did you know that you have to pay a fee to apply to get on a wait list for hockey tickets in Nashville?  3 consecutive years of sell-outs.  The only games that will sell out at FedEx Forum next season are G.S. and maybe LeBron.  Memphis is going to lose this franchise.  The fans that are left seem to be unrealistic and delusional.  They are pissedoff that JJJ is not already KG or KD in his first week out of college at age 18,  want guys like OJ Mayo back, thought they were "gifted a superstar" when they got that mediocre backup forward from the Heat that time, think Davis and Martin are going to magically turn into starting quality NBA bigs, think that 6-8 Jam Green can be Gasol's backup center and I could go on for a lot longer but won't.

Oh you’re just lashing out at your friends, what’s really bugging you?

What bugging me is my fellow Grizz fans acting like they are in a small market that is going to lose the team to Seattle when their new arena is ready.  Memphis doesn't know how to be a major league sports town, still after all these years.  The city does a good job of being a minor league city for a MLB franchise with 11 big team world series championships... that is like shooting fish in a barrel.  Having a St Louis Cardinals AAA team is like house money.  There is no way to screw it up.  Making an NBA team work in a "fly-over" city with tons of socio-economic issues is a tough assignment.  How anxious are people going to be to buy up tickets for a team that was 22-60?  And now the Doncic/Porter Jr./Trae Young/whoever fan club thinks JJJ is no count.  People were in love with Jevon Carter because he can play some defense, but is hopeless at trying to create his own shot with the clock running down... big deal... let him play in the "G" for a couple of years and work it out.  Or not.  I just saw a list of the top 50 free agents this offseason and none of them in the top 30 would consider Memphis for any amount of money.  So whoever screwed up and backed a Brinks truck up to Chandler P's front porch better dig deep and pull some rabbits out of hats.  I don't blame the FO for rolling the dice on Caspi or even M. Brooks.   Marcus Smart is a 9ppg career NBA scorer and might be OK if the price is right... for a 9 ppg career guy.  If we work out a deal to get him,  people will more off the deep end than when James Ennis was acquired.  People take these huge leaps of faith in a guys like that... he didn't even start for Miami...a 6ppg career scorer and label him a potential superstar because... well, I'm not sure why.  While badmouthing JJJ who is one year removed from his high school graduation night.   If Memphis loses the Grizz, don't expect a major league franchise in any sport in our lifetime or maybe ever.  So the next time somebody posts something about trading Marc and Mike because  Rabb/Davis/Simmons/Selden/Martin are good enough to make the playoffs...NO... they are good enough to win 22 and lose 60.  If that.

7 hours ago, bhoyal said:

No.  It's not sarcastic.

From a few hours ago...

I lived in Memphis for four years.  Still have a property there.  My biggest problem with memphis is the memphians.  What in the world causes you all to be so negative about the place you call home?  I never did, nor think I can ever understand 

6 hours ago, MemphisJayhawk said:

I lived in Memphis for four years.  Still have a property there.  My biggest problem with memphis is the memphians.  What in the world causes you all to be so negative about the place you call home?  I never did, nor think I can ever understand 

Just a segment of people that want to whine about who we aren’t, instead of who we are. Those of us that can see the positives of Memphis are reaping them.

Yakking about free agents wanting to sign here...Parsons seems like he’d be an LA guy but he signed with Memphis. For those complaining about our problems, take a true look at all the other franchises around the league. Apply your Grizz issues to them to see just how similar we are. To think that every NBA player prefers the same market is shortsighted. These guys travel all season and can live wherever they want. I think factors such as money, fit, organization direction, relationships, etc. play a bigger role than what a city has to offer. Most cities have most of the same things. Is a big market really that big of difference maker anymore either? To me, knocking the city or market is just an excuse. Examples disproving this are steadily occurring.

9 hours ago, MemphisJayhawk said:

My Aunt and Uncle and cousins lived in Memphis, so I went there alot.  They lived in the Perkins - Poplar area.  Cuz went to White Station and the other went to Christian Brothers High.  I am a long time mid-state resident at this point. (near Smyrna more or less)... thus I have a unique sort of insider/outsider viewpoint of Memphis.

I took my son to a metal-fest show at Mud Island amphitheater around 10 years when he was still in his skateboarder phase and Nashville was on the verge of demolishing an amphitheater (Starwood) that was 3 times the size and 100 times nicer.  And all I heard leading up to that concert from Memphians was was how awesome Mud Island's concert venue was.  And it was a crumbling/rusting dump.  This is the new downtown amphitheater in Nashville - 

1.jpg And unlike Mud Island actually has security and doesn't blatantly sell alcohol to the underage.

People are negative about Memphis because there is a ton of things to be negative about.  Personally, I like it.  Next time down there, I plan to visit Sun Records and the Stax Museum.  And get some Crumpy's wing if they are still around.  I brought back a tray of 75 once.

But this hoops franchise has lost it's "winning" mojo that took so long to establish.  All those years in the playoffs, one of the longest playoff streaks in the NBA in the current era has been replaced by "just tank" and now people are ready to cut bait with a 18 year old 4th pick who has HUGE potential as soon as he gets more used to playing facing up the basket.  And those are probably some of the same people who think Davis and Martin and Jam Green are big-time NBA players.  I used to see Martin and Green play in person vs Vandy when they were in the SEC.  They were good but not great, and that was compared to other college forwards.  Micky and Martin were supposed to dominate as twin tower power forwards at LSU and I never saw it happen.  Jam Green was good but I could name 50 SEC forwards in the last 15 or 20 years who were better.  That even includes un-athletic white boy Luke Kornet who set the NCAA record for a 7-footer with 150 college threes and blocked ten shots in one game vs an athletic Auburn team.  You can add undrafted FA Yante Maten to that list as he just scored 14 in his first NBA summer league start.  

While Caspi and Anderson and M. Brooks are not Carmello and Leonard, I still have some non-delusional hope that the FO spotted some non-scrub cost effective veterans to pad the roster with... and lose some of the dead weight dragging this team down.

2 hours ago, guillermo said:

we are embracing moneyball now bhoyal

days of chris Wallace meat sweat specials are over

It was a good movie.

But look how the A's have sucked mostly since then.

I am good if we make a run at the playoffs -- OR if we tank for Zion Williamson.

Just don't want to lose a pick in the 9-12 range, which looks highly likely.

Yes, attendance is lagging, at last year's early home wins against the Warriors and Rockets I don't think the place was much more than half full -- and lots of Bad Guys fans too.  Lots of crying little kids at the end -- which was a nice touch.

However, I don't see the Memphis Tigers basketball or football teams breaking any records next year either.

If people only wanna buy tickets to watch a team win, well, they aren't true basketball fans.  Technically, every basketball game has a WINNING TEAM.  

Appeal to basketball junkies and basketball lifers.

Get them to buy in and buy tickets.

Then they will eventually bring their friends to games since they have nothing else better to do.

Have a plan to get to the top.

It's about the journey not the destination.

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I am good if we make a run at the playoffs -- OR if we tank for Zion Williamson.

Just don't want to lose a pick in the 9-12 range, which looks highly likely.

Yes, attendance is lagging, at last year's early home wins against the Warriors and Rockets I don't think the place was much more than half full -- and lots of Bad Guys fans too.  Lots of crying little kids at the end -- which was a nice touch.

However, I don't see the Memphis Tigers basketball or football teams breaking any records next year either.

If people only wanna buy tickets to watch a team win, well, they aren't true basketball fans.  Technically, every basketball game has a WINNING TEAM.  

Appeal to basketball junkies and basketball lifers.

Get them to buy in and buy tickets.

Then they will eventually bring their friends to games since they have nothing else better to do.

Have a plan to get to the top.

It's about the journey not the destination.

16 hours ago, bhoyal said:

What bugging me is my fellow Grizz fans acting like they are in a small market that is going to lose the team to Seattle when their new arena is ready.  Memphis doesn't know how to be a major league sports town, still after all these years.  The city does a good job of being a minor league city for a MLB franchise with 11 big team world series championships... that is like shooting fish in a barrel.  Having a St Louis Cardinals AAA team is like house money.  There is no way to screw it up.  Making an NBA team work in a "fly-over" city with tons of socio-economic issues is a tough assignment.  How anxious are people going to be to buy up tickets for a team that was 22-60?  And now the Doncic/Porter Jr./Trae Young/whoever fan club thinks JJJ is no count.  People were in love with Jevon Carter because he can play some defense, but is hopeless at trying to create his own shot with the clock running down... big deal... let him play in the "G" for a couple of years and work it out.  Or not.  I just saw a list of the top 50 free agents this offseason and none of them in the top 30 would consider Memphis for any amount of money.  So whoever screwed up and backed a Brinks truck up to Chandler P's front porch better dig deep and pull some rabbits out of hats.  I don't blame the FO for rolling the dice on Caspi or even M. Brooks.   Marcus Smart is a 9ppg career NBA scorer and might be OK if the price is right... for a 9 ppg career guy.  If we work out a deal to get him,  people will more off the deep end than when James Ennis was acquired.  People take these huge leaps of faith in a guys like that... he didn't even start for Miami...a 6ppg career scorer and label him a potential superstar because... well, I'm not sure why.  While badmouthing JJJ who is one year removed from his high school graduation night.   If Memphis loses the Grizz, don't expect a major league franchise in any sport in our lifetime or maybe ever.  So the next time somebody posts something about trading Marc and Mike because  Rabb/Davis/Simmons/Selden/Martin are good enough to make the playoffs...NO... they are good enough to win 22 and lose 60.  If that.

15 hours ago, MemphisJayhawk said:

8 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Just a segment of people that want to whine about who we aren’t, instead of who we are. Those of us that can see the positives of Memphis are reaping them.

Yakking about free agents wanting to sign here...Parsons seems like he’d be an LA guy but he signed with Memphis. For those complaining about our problems, take a true look at all the other franchises around the league. Apply your Grizz issues to them to see just how similar we are. To think that every NBA player prefers the same market is shortsighted. These guys travel all season and can live wherever they want. I think factors such as money, fit, organization direction, relationships, etc. play a bigger role than what a city has to offer. Most cities have most of the same things. Is a big market really that big of difference maker anymore either? To me, knocking the city or market is just an excuse. Examples disproving this are steadily occurring.

6 hours ago, bhoyal said:

My Aunt and Uncle and cousins lived in Memphis, so I went there alot.  They lived in the Perkins - Poplar area.  Cuz went to White Station and the other went to Christian Brothers High.  I am a long time mid-state resident at this point. (near Smyrna more or less)... thus I have a unique sort of insider/outsider viewpoint of Memphis.

I took my son to a metal-fest show at Mud Island amphitheater around 10 years when he was still in his skateboarder phase and Nashville was on the verge of demolishing an amphitheater (Starwood) that was 3 times the size and 100 times nicer.  And all I heard leading up to that concert from Memphians was was how awesome Mud Island's concert venue was.  And it was a crumbling/rusting dump.  This is the new downtown amphitheater in Nashville - 

1.jpg And unlike Mud Island actually has security and doesn't blatantly sell alcohol to the underage.

People are negative about Memphis because there is a ton of things to be negative about.  Personally, I like it.  Next time down there, I plan to visit Sun Records and the Stax Museum.  And get some Crumpy's wing if they are still around.  I brought back a tray of 75 once.

But this hoops franchise has lost it's "winning" mojo that took so long to establish.  All those years in the playoffs, one of the longest playoff streaks in the NBA in the current era has been replaced by "just tank" and now people are ready to cut bait with a 18 year old 4th pick who has HUGE potential as soon as he gets more used to playing facing up the basket.  And those are probably some of the same people who think Davis and Martin and Jam Green are big-time NBA players.  I used to see Martin and Green play in person vs Vandy when they were in the SEC.  They were good but not great, and that was compared to other college forwards.  Micky and Martin were supposed to dominate as twin tower power forwards at LSU and I never saw it happen.  Jam Green was good but I could name 50 SEC forwards in the last 15 or 20 years who were better.  That even includes un-athletic white boy Luke Kornet who set the NCAA record for a 7-footer with 150 college threes and blocked ten shots in one game vs an athletic Auburn team.  You can add undrafted FA Yante Maten to that list as he just scored 14 in his first NBA summer league start.  

While Caspi and Anderson and M. Brooks are not Carmello and Leonard, I still have some non-delusional hope that the FO spotted some non-scrub cost effective veterans to pad the roster with... and lose some of the dead weight dragging this team down.

despite having one of the worst season in grizz's history...we still had better attendance than Nets(newyork),Hawks(atlanta) and kings(sactown).

The Nets and Islanders in Brooklyn will either grow on the locals or one will go back to where they came from or somewhere else.  It's almost like some sort of experiment to see which one can survive the over-priced Barclays venue.  Doesn't everything there cost an arm and a leg, even by NY standards?  I think the Islanders stand a better chance on making it in Brooklyn because "hipsters" feel more comfortable going to hockey than basketball, even though they would rather go to a coffeeshop and hear some guy (or girl) croon alternative rock ballads.  Isn't the "new and gentrified" Brooklyn a hipster haven?

Atlanta is a pathetic sports town except for football.  If the Braves go back to sucking, that new stadium will empty out like it's on fire.  The hockey franchise didn't make it even though Tampa and Nashville proved ice hockey can survive and thrive in hot weather cities.  Raleigh-Durham still has it's NHL team.

I'm not sure what the NBA sees in Sacramento.  Maybe they have naked pictures of Adam Silver. :wacko:

Hey bhoyal,

Cheer up brother

I appreciate your posts.

Make sure you do check out Sun.

Everytime I been there its like visiting the Cistine Chapel (if your Catholic)

Also check out Rock and Soul Museum next to the FedEx Forum

Handy's Blues Hall and Jerry Lee's club both on Beale are great too

3 hours ago, bhoyal said:

The Nets and Islanders in Brooklyn will either grow on the locals or one will go back to where they came from or somewhere else.  It's almost like some sort of experiment to see which one can survive the over-priced Barclays venue.  Doesn't everything there cost an arm and a leg, even by NY standards?  I think the Islanders stand a better chance on making it in Brooklyn because "hipsters" feel more comfortable going to hockey than basketball, even though they would rather go to a coffeeshop and hear some guy (or girl) croon alternative rock ballads.  Isn't the "new and gentrified" Brooklyn a hipster haven?

Atlanta is a pathetic sports town except for football.  If the Braves go back to sucking, that new stadium will empty out like it's on fire.  The hockey franchise didn't make it even though Tampa and Nashville proved ice hockey can survive and thrive in hot weather cities.  Raleigh-Durham still has it's NHL team.

I'm not sure what the NBA sees in Sacramento.  Maybe they have naked pictures of Adam Silver. :wacko:

season before that we had better attendance numbers than pelicans,pistons,hawks,bucks,nets,timberwolves and nuggets.

4 hours ago, bhoyal said:

The Nets and Islanders in Brooklyn will either grow on the locals or one will go back to where they came from or somewhere else.

True.

Bhoyal is from metro Nashville . Keep that in mind when reading his negative comments about your city. Nashvilliers do not like Memphis.

On 7/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, bhoyal said:

No.  It's not sarcastic.

From a few hours ago...

Man that's nothing, husbands and wives kill each other all the time.

14 minutes ago, scooter said:

Bhoyal is from metro Nashville . Keep that in mind when reading his negative comments about your city. Nashvilliers do not like Memphis.

I take up for Memphis more than most people in middle TN would.  If Memphis is so great, why do so many of the recent h.s. grads want to attend MTSU instead of staying put and attending Tiger High?  But I still like Memphis and still have relatives living there.

Do keep in mind, there are bars in Nashville that host Grizz watch parties.  How many Memphis bars are connected with the Nashville Preds hockey?  (even though Pete Pranica brags on the Preds all the time).   

Now... for the Shelby County people who hate Nashville...you will be very displeased to see Wade Baldwin was named to the all summer league team tonight.  Even though he's actually from New Jersey, people in Memphis will certainly view him as having been tainted by attending the highly academic Vanderbilt University.   I don't see Kobi Simmons listed...

http://www.nba.com/video/2018/07/10/20180710-starters-all-summer-league-teams?collection=news

1 hour ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

season before that we had better attendance numbers than pelicans,pistons,hawks,bucks,nets,timberwolves and nuggets.

Those places all have NFL teams to compete with (if you include Green Bay with Milwaukee) and all but one also has MLB.  Four also have NHL hockey teams.

What major league franchise does the Grizz have to compete with for ticket sales?

(the closest is a minor league baseball team and Penny Hardaway's semi-pro high school team)

When you have the whole market to yourself, you darn well  ought to be selling tickets and putting fannies in seats.  If Memphis screws around and loses the Grizz, it won't sniff a major sports franchise again in our lifetime and for a lot longer.  They need to get back to a winning attitude fast and dropping a couple of not very talented backup bigs... especially the one with no motor... would be a start.  I would be encouraged if they cut Davis first thing in the morning.   Maybe they could get Jackie Moon to trade him for a used washing machine.

5 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Queens NY raised, and Brooklyn would take off if the team wasn't such a downer. Tickets are pretty cheap these days and Barclays is near some really cool stuff (I'm not cool enough to be a hipster, but I'm out that way all the time). They're doing things right these days and the branding is great.

This city is ripe for an NBA contender. No matter what, a good Knicks team will overshadow anything the Nets could ever accomplish, but a competitive Nets squad could easily duplicate the way the Clippers rose to popularity in the early Grantland days. Our market supports two teams pretty easily in the other major sports, so there shouldn't be any issues backing a legitimately exciting Nets squad. 

Islanders are already headed back east to the fringes of Queens/Long Island to their own arena in Belmont. I've got some questions about the long term viability of that experiment, but it's easier to get to than Citi Field.

Funny with all these local options, I still ended up being a Grizzlies fan. Panthers in football, too. I was a weird kid...