Sign in to follow this  
Iron Mike

There goes your Gasol-Conley-Evans core

3 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Did you guys really want to give Tyreke a 3 or 4 year deal at this point?

No.

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

No. The problem isn’t Evans not being signed. It’s the patent confirmation that CW botched his trade, derailed the tank job (only a bit), and let him walk away with nothing in return, all while lying through his teeth.

Exactly.

4 hours ago, Iron Mike said:

Evans signs with the Pacers. Now what? ?

How about trading Marc and JaM for Kawhi and Danny Green? 

Marc can resign with Pop and we can have a one year rental before our official rebuild.

Just make the call! ?

Does Tyreke even really move the needle at all as far as winning? Calling him "core" for playoff caliber team seems a stretch. Not sure any other organization would hold him in such high regard.

2 hours ago, guillermo said:

Does Tyreke even really move the needle at all as far as winning? Calling him "core" for playoff caliber team seems a stretch. Not sure any other organization would hold him in such high regard.

He is a really good player on a bad team but unproven on good teams as to what his exact role/impact would be.

When was there ever a core with these three guys? I hope we sign a guy that will help with the MLE, I haven't seen many signed that fit our need and cap space.

Chris Wallace is an absolute clown. Embarrassing how poorly he handled the Evans situation for the past 5 months.

On 7/3/2018 at 3:22 PM, Allen said:

I halfway jokingly said M Brooks was Evans replacement during the season  but now it seems like that really is the FOs plan

How many times can Wallace f up without getting fired? He has some of the greatest job security I’ve ever seen 

I only wish I had that much job security! 

4 hours ago, guillermo said:

I'd say he's about to become an important core piece for a Pacers team fighting for a top 4 seed tho.

I am hoping all the shock being displayed here is feigned.  

There's a lot of reasons to be bothered by this, but it should have been evident to everyone that we weren't re-signing Tyreke Evans this year, and not just as a recent revelation.  He was a one-year rental from the beginning.  At the very least, it was evident to every other team in the association when we couldn't get a hamburger Tuesday for an Evans today at last season's trade deadline.  

Here is why I am (and everyone else should be) bothered by the handling of Tyreke this season, up until now.  This was right out of the 3YP playbook of being as absolutely cheap as possible.  We just wanted him off the books.  The reason we "held out" for someone trading us a 1st round pick is because only a more gullible GM would have offered that to us.  Even when you're trying to save money, you can't pass up a chance at a Montreal (Memphis?) Screwjob. 

Are we firing more scouts next?

I'm done with Chris Wallace.  If all he can do is remind us that he presided over the assembly of the GnG "Core 4", then my response is to turn on my Karaoke machine and sing "What Have You Done For Me Lately?"

People need to brace themselves - there will be no FA signing of note this year.  No helpful trade this year.  This year is about riding out contracts - and probably next year.  In 2 seasons, our payroll will be next to nothing.  

We'd better hope Brooks and Jackson prove to be a dynamic duo.

Memphis is not desirable enough of a location to ever have a serious free agent signing so I'm not holding that against CW.  Bad drafting is another story, as is trading away picks for mediocre role players.

For us to be successful it all starts in the draft. Look at OKC getting the talent they have had, primarily because of drafting (Westbrook, Harden, Durant). We need to draft a Superstar to get someone to sign with us. (Like OKC, Westbrook *Paul George). Maybe they are banking on JJJ to be that superstar we all have been trying to find. Gasol and Conley are good pieces but we need that 3rd guy, a bigger name to come in and take over. If we are riding contracts out I can see the value in that long term. This upcoming season is looking like a 30 win season. Sad but its part of the business right now for us. Being a small market is hard to bring in superstars unless you have that one guy who everyone wants to play with, right now we don't have that.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Memphis is not desirable enough of a location to ever have a serious free agent signing so I'm not holding that against CW.  Bad drafting is another story, as is trading away picks for mediocre role players.

This, how much does it take for things to change in the FO?

1 hour ago, Blue Bear said:

This, how much does it take for things to change in the FO?

I don't know. We sure as heck went through a bunch of coaches.

On 7/3/2018 at 3:04 PM, Iron Mike said:

Evans signs with the Pacers. Now what? ?

This organization is Pathetic....lolol.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:51 PM, SC Grizz said:

How about trading Marc and JaM for Kawhi and Danny Green? 

Marc can resign with Pop and we can have a one year rental before our official rebuild.

Just make the call! ?

I like Marc to the Lakers for some of their young ASSETS.

Out of 525 NBA career games, Evans played 52 as a Grizz and only started 32.

Core?  Core what?  He was barely here.

p.s. - in his ten year career he played in FOUR playoff games, averaging 10 ppg in the post-season.  We're not losing Dr. J here.

Evans will be on the market again.

As mentioned earlier, this (lack of) Evans transaction wasn't a failure by Wallace.  The failure was not getting draft picks earlier this year.

I don't blame him for refusing deals that included contracts that would still be on the book.

*The one possible saving grace for not trading Tyreke is if somehow in the future, the Grizzlies try to trade a player and the other GMs know that Wallace isn't going to take just anything and some GM offers more than they would have......and this is a real, real stretch. 

42 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Evans will be on the market again.

As mentioned earlier, this (lack of) Evans transaction wasn't a failure by Wallace.  The failure was not getting draft picks earlier this year.

I don't blame him for refusing deals that included contracts that would still be on the book.

*The one possible saving grace for not trading Tyreke is if somehow in the future, the Grizzlies try to trade a player and the other GMs know that Wallace isn't going to take just anything and some GM offers more than they would have......and this is a real, real stretch. 

It may not be that much of a stretch.  You don't have to take a screwing just for the sake of making a deal for the sake of doing something.  

On 7/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, QMemphis said:

At some point Chris Wallace has to be held responsible right? 

you would think  but he just keeps his job throughout all of this.  He is simply THERE.  

Marshon Brooks averaged 20ppg last season for Memphis.  If anybody should be the next part of the core puzzle, he is it.

The guy has been around.  He played for 4 different NBA teams in one season before.  He was a great low cost acquisition. 

40 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Marshon Brooks averaged 20ppg last season for Memphis.  If anybody should be the next part of the core puzzle, he is it.

The guy has been around.  He played for 4 different NBA teams in one season before.  He was a great low cost acquisition. 

This is sarcasm right?