Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies sign Omri Casspi

I hope he can hit some 3s.

1 hour ago, Grizz&Grind said:

What if he has a crazy good year, ala Tyreke?

These one year deals have risk/reward both ways.

I hope his year is so good that the Grizzlies have to make that decision next year.

21 hours ago, Father Pat said:

It's not a knock on Casspi, but since the end of the '10-'11 season he has had just eight 20 pt or more games. The point about Johnson is that he would have given the franchise something to point to for the G league players. Johnson had shown that he could score when given the opportunity. I think Casspi is a better choice for one season but Johnson was the better choice for the franchise. Waiving Johnson to pay more for Casspi when neither one are going to move the needle while being very close talent wise, why bother? We had that position filled.

We won't be getting any undrafted superstars, but it is easier to sign possible talent when you can show an honest path to the NBA from your G league team. Again, I don't dislike Casspi, it just seems to me that Wallace's patch job mentality hurts the franchise in other ways.

Yeah I see your points. Hopefully Casp surprises us all.

42 minutes ago, guillermo said:

Casspi practical shoe in to win MIP award now

He was waived last season just before the playoffs started. Even with playoff rosters expanding to 15. Prone to "nagging injuries" last season (ankle and thumb) that kept him off the court at various times. 

I'm guessing he's more like a cheaper Brandon Wright 2.0 than a MIP type player.

38 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

He was waived last season just before the playoffs started. Even with playoff rosters expanding to 15. Prone to "nagging injuries" last season (ankle and thumb) that kept him off the court at various times. 

I'm guessing he's more like a cheaper Brandon Wright 2.0 than a MIP type player.

Man, I think you're doing Omri a disservice comparing him with Brandon Wright.  Casspi has played 11,439 minutes to Wright's 6949 despite the fact that he came to the league two years after Brandon Wright's debut.

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

Man, I think you're doing Omri a disservice comparing him with Brandon Wright.  Casspi has played 11,439 minutes to Wright's 6949 despite the fact that he came to the league two years after Brandon Wright's debut.

Not saying career wise, just this coming season. Dang Smitty, if your ankle and then later your thumb is bothering you, playing on a vet minimum deal for the Warriors - NBA champs-, are you sitting or getting the trainer to tape you up? 

6 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Not saying career wise, just this coming season. Dang Smitty, if your ankle and then later your thumb is bothering you, playing on a vet minimum deal for the Warriors - NBA champs-, are you sitting or getting the trainer to tape you up? 

I'm gettin' a Hoveround and a catcher's mitt.  Put me in coach!  I'm ready!!

Seriously, I know, I was just makin' some noise.

8 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm gettin' a Hoveround and a catcher's mitt.  Put me in coach!  I'm ready!!

Seriously, I know, I was just makin' some noise.

I read this stuff about him this morning. I googled Omri Casspi injury and read it off an Israeli newspaper. He was their darling, being the first Israeli born NBA player. They described his injuries as "nagging". If I had read that article earlier I would not have been as kind in my earlier posts. Casspi could have more than doubled his income last season had he been on the playoff roster, and earned a ring in the process.

37 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I read this stuff about him this morning. I googled Omri Casspi injury and read it off an Israeli newspaper. He was their darling, being the first Israeli born NBA player. They described his injuries as "nagging". If I had read that article earlier I would not have been as kind in my earlier posts. Casspi could have more than doubled his income last season had he been on the playoff roster, and earned a ring in the process.

Maybe they were more than "nagging".  That would make it a genuine "Chris Wallace special"!

https://www.twincities.com/2017/03/21/omri-casspi-picked-playing-time-over-playoffs-when-signing-with-timberwolves/ 

Casspi was part of the Cousins trade from Sactown to N.O.. He played 1 game, broke his thumb, and was waived. Evidently the thumb didn't keep him from playing though. He got offers from Celts, Clips, and the Grizzlies but chose to sign with the T-Wolves, who were the only non-playoff team offering to sign him. He claimed he went to Minny because of more playing time. It doesn't make sense though because the playoff teams would be playing more games and he would have received playoff money. He averaged 17 minutes per game and did not start any for the T-Wolves (13 games played).

I never bothered to figure out Casspi from Ersan Ilyasova. I guess I’ll know soon enough. I think his experience will only help with all the young guys.

1 hour ago, scooter said:

Casspi fits C.W.'s player's criteria perfectly.

He will if he has trade value at some point, the Grizzlies have nothing to play for at that point, and Wallace gets nothing for him.

3 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

Watch him be our starting SF

Definitely at some point this year. 

On 7/1/2018 at 3:53 PM, lions said:

that parson is the only problem really hurts the Memphis grizzlies. if parson can come back with out a set back to his knees the grizzlies should win around 48 54 games if not then your ------------

of Parsons and the medical staff can manage his minutes and keep his legs somewhat fresh, I agree, the Grizz could have a shot at 50 games.  His playmaking and shooting can really help the team. He isnt going to dominate like a superstar but he most certainly can contribute and we should hope that he does before we start trying to dump him off on another team.   To get a team to take that kind of salary dump would require CWallace to give up multiple picks including 1st rounders.   When we dumped Mo Speight, Wayne Ellington et al's salaries with Cleveland, CWallace was quoted as saying giving up a 1st round pick was common currency to pay for a dump like that.  With $48-50M left on Chandlers' salary, we would have to give up even more. 

Im interested to see how Chandler plays after basically 2 years of rest and recovery.  

3 hours ago, southbluffsgrizzfan said:

...  When we dumped Mo Speight, Wayne Ellington et al's salaries with Cleveland, CWallace was quoted as saying giving up a 1st round pick was common currency to pay for a dump like that. ...

That was Levien time, so they must have gotten that quote on the rare occasion when Wallace came in to check his mail.