Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies sign Omri Casspi

35 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Why do you think JaM is getting moved? 

Is it something you know or something you want to happen?

Probably something he wants to happen but it's the most logical move. We are crowded with bigs and JaM may have some value. We need to move on to JJJ asap.We can't trade McLemore, Martin or Parsons and I don't think you would get anything that helps you right away by trading Harrison or Brooks or Brooks or Selden or Davis or Rabb. JaM would probably bring the most back in any trade not involving Mike or Marc which is kinda sad. 

34 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Look, I think I'm realistic about it.  I agree with much of what  you're saying and I know he isn't going to move the needle very much.  I wouldn't say he is a bad player though, and he is a vet, and he can shoot.

I just wonder where this leaves us for an MLE signing and roster spot.  We will definitely need to trade or cut someone if we sign someone for the MLE now.

We have until the start of the season right (or is it training camp)? Either way, that's a long way away and there's a guy by the name of Benny Mac which just screams at cut bait and also Deyonta Davis, or Jarrel Martin, not something I would worry about. We have several players in the last year of small deals, so any number of them could be cut to bring in better talent. No one has proven anything but I would rather not cut anyone we brought in last offseason. 

31 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I just find the F.O. very frustrating. The team is handcuffed to the corpse of Chandler Parsons, which is a big part of that, and I get it. But they can't sell us that everything is going to be OK because two of our best three players were injured and we should all believe that they will play at the level they once did. They won't. Conley maybe, but no way will Parsons be the player he once was, which was a brief moment anyway. They have hope in the new young guys, which is fine. They're just doing things half arsed. Casspi is another Wallace patch job. Things will not get turned around in just one season. Casspi will not be the reason for success. He would be a good signing for a good team, which we are not. This team is only getting better from the draft or trades. Enough with the signing of injured or broken down players that no other team wants. Bite the bullet, create trade assets by playing draft picks, and make deals.The cold hard reality is that the team is a couple years, at best, from truly competing so start building and stop patching.

We didn't forfeit any draft picks with this signing and trades could still be possible if we have anything anyone wants.  Sure, it's a patch job, but we don't have a lot of alternatives at the moment.  I think we just have to be patient for now.  Change is likely to be slow, no sense in getting frustrated with the FO.

21 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Probably something he wants to happen but it's the most logical move. We are crowded with bigs and JaM may have some value. We need to move on to JJJ asap.We can't trade McLemore, Martin or Parsons and I don't think you would get anything that helps you right away by trading Harrison or Brooks or Brooks or Selden or Davis or Rabb. JaM would probably bring the most back in any trade not involving Mike or Marc which is kinda sad. 

We have until the start of the season right (or is it training camp)? Either way, that's a long way away and there's a guy by the name of Benny Mac which just screams at cut bait and also Deyonta Davis, or Jarrel Martin, not something I would worry about. We have several players in the last year of small deals, so any number of them could be cut to bring in better talent. No one has proven anything but I would rather not cut anyone we brought in last offseason. 

Jam and BMac are expiring, so they may have some value during the season.  Some of the young guys too. we'll see.

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

Jam and BMac are expiring, so they may have some value during the season.  Some of the young guys too. we'll see.

Our entire team is expiring with the exception of Conley, Parsons, JJJ, Carter and Rabb. Marc has a player option and Dilly Dilly has a team option and that's it as far as who is under contract after this upcoming season. 

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Our entire team is expiring with the exception of Conley, Parsons, JJJ, Carter and Rabb. Marc has a player option and Dilly Dilly has a team option and that's it as far as who is under contract after this upcoming season. 

Which is why we should just be more patient this season.

9 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Which is why we should just be more patient this season.

They'll never admit it but the FO's plan this year is to be good enough so that Boston gets our 1st round pick, I think their moves in the draft and with this have made it obvious. As long as we're not bottom 8, the fo will have achieved their goal.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Want/expect. Just given our roster situation, we probably don't need 6 guys to play PF and one undersized guy, and one always injured guy to play SF. Just doesn't make sense, and would make a lot of sense why you sign Casspi.

I just don't understand what people expect.  We are not signing a superstar right now or any move what so ever with the cash we have that'll really move the needle that'll make us a contender. Losing in the first round to give Boston a bad pick is the goal.  We needed a sf/pf and still have part of the mle to sign a potential guy to help with giving Boston  a bad draft pick

that parson is the only problem really hurts the Memphis grizzlies. if parson can come back with out a set back to his knees the grizzlies should win around 48 54 games if not then your ------------

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Why do we need to sign anyone? i think right now if we stay relatively healthy, we'd be a borderline playoff team. I don't think signing a FA in that $7-$8 mil range is going to change that. Just save the money and wait til next off-season when you'll have a lot more available cash to sign players. 

Signing someone won't hurt. Whomever we sign will be a short deal no more than 2 years.  Whats the point in holdimg onto the money when whomever you get is gonna be gone in a year or two when we have several players coming off the books

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Why do we need to sign anyone? 

After cutting about 3 or four guys they will need to add back to get the roster to a minimum. 

They could jettison DD, Jam, Ben Mac, and Selden and are little impact to the talent level. 

Serious question here. Will Casspi really bring more than Omari Johnson could have? (The guy who did well in the G league, got called up and did OK in 4 games, got a multi year deal and then waived 2 months later)

25 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Signing someone won't hurt. Whomever we sign will be a short deal no more than 2 years.  Whats the point in holdimg onto the money when whomever you get is gonna be gone in a year or two when we have several players coming off the books

Probably won't help either. If it's a 1year deal, I'm okay but no need to eat up cap space gor the future when it won't make us any better than we are now.

24 minutes ago, Southern Dreadz said:

After cutting about 3 or four guys they will need to add back to get the roster to a minimum. 

They could jettison DD, Jam, Ben Mac, and Selden and are little impact to the talent level. 

I think they may cut 1 but I think most will be used in a trade for a wing who can score in the mid teens. We can't sign anyone like that now other than Tyreke and not sure if we can sign him.

7 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Serious question here. Will Casspi really bring more than Omari Johnson could have? (The guy who did well in the G league, got called up and did OK in 4 games, got a multi year deal and then waived 2 months later)

I think he'll have minimal impact but I hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Absolutely. I'm not saying Casspi is anything special, but he's proven he can score in this league. Omari is 29, only a year younger than Casspi, and hasn't been able to get on an NBA roster. Casspi has been in the league since 09 and has shown he can heat up quick and knock down 3's. Just three years ago Casspi averaged 11/6 on the Kings while shooting 40% from the arc.

33 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Absolutely. I'm not saying Casspi is anything special, but he's proven he can score in this league. Omari is 29, only a year younger than Casspi, and hasn't been able to get on an NBA roster. Casspi has been in the league since 09 and has shown he can heat up quick and knock down 3's. Just three years ago Casspi averaged 11/6 on the Kings while shooting 40% from the arc.

It's not a knock on Casspi, but since the end of the '10-'11 season he has had just eight 20 pt or more games. The point about Johnson is that he would have given the franchise something to point to for the G league players. Johnson had shown that he could score when given the opportunity. I think Casspi is a better choice for one season but Johnson was the better choice for the franchise. Waiving Johnson to pay more for Casspi when neither one are going to move the needle while being very close talent wise, why bother? We had that position filled.

We won't be getting any undrafted superstars, but it is easier to sign possible talent when you can show an honest path to the NBA from your G league team. Again, I don't dislike Casspi, it just seems to me that Wallace's patch job mentality hurts the franchise in other ways.

5 hours ago, Father Pat said:

I've got nothing against the guy, and there was a time when I thought he might be a good player on the bench. That being said... 

7th team in 6 seasons, never knew defense, and why on Gods green earth are we collecting Sactown rejects?

Wallace dumpster diving at his best.

A good rule of thumb for all teams should be not to sign anybody who can't hack it in Sacramento.

4 hours ago, Father Pat said:

I just find the F.O. very frustrating. The team is handcuffed to the corpse of Chandler Parsons, which is a big part of that, and I get it. But they can't sell us that everything is going to be OK because two of our best three players were injured and we should all believe that they will play at the level they once did. They won't. Conley maybe, but no way will Parsons be the player he once was, which was a brief moment anyway. They have hope in the new young guys, which is fine. They're just doing things half arsed. Casspi is another Wallace patch job. Things will not get turned around in just one season. Casspi will not be the reason for success. He would be a good signing for a good team, which we are not. This team is only getting better from the draft or trades. Enough with the signing of injured or broken down players that no other team wants. Bite the bullet, create trade assets by playing draft picks, and make deals.The cold hard reality is that the team is a couple years, at best, from truly competing so start building and stop patching.

Yeah, this is the truth here. The real issue is that F**KING 1st rounder we owe to Boston hanging over our heads. We might as well go hard this year, when it's not a good draft. If we convey the 10th pick, so be it. If we win the lottery or make the playoffs, great. Then, after we get that over with we can do what needs to be done which is either trade our big players for assets or just let their salaries go and start fresh

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

He's got one year left and is a league average backup PF. Plus his minutes need to go to JJJ now, for better or worse.

3 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

They'll never admit it but the FO's plan this year is to be good enough so that Boston gets our 1st round pick, I think their moves in the draft and with this have made it obvious. As long as we're not bottom 8, the fo will have achieved their goal.

That is probably the right attitude. We do not want to have the 8th pick in this draft, then have Gasol bolt in free agency and have conley going downhill with no up and coming talent so we can convey a top 2 pick again.

Think how good we'd have been with Darko.

6 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

He's got one year left and is a league average backup PF. Plus his minutes need to go to JJJ now, for better or worse.

If they move him I'm okay, unless it's a really stupid move, but if he's a "league average backup PF" why can't he just be the backup?  

52 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Yeah, this is the truth here. The real issue is that F**KING 1st rounder we owe to Boston hanging over our heads. We might as well go hard this year, when it's not a good draft. If we convey the 10th pick, so be it. If we win the lottery or make the playoffs, great. Then, after we get that over with we can do what needs to be done which is either trade our big players for assets or just let their salaries go and start fresh

But we need to upgrade our roster to make a push for the playoffs 

4 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I agree with this which is why I don't think we should really sign anyone else. We will sign another player but I don't think that player would make much difference. We'll make a trade (or two) before the season starts and will be a fringe playoff team but I don't see us as one of the 8 worst teams. It's being called a bad draft so this is definitely the time to let Boston get it.

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I agree with this which is why I don't think we should really sign anyone else. We will sign another player but I don't think that player would make much difference. We'll make a trade (or two) before the season starts and will be a fringe playoff team but I don't see us as one of the 8 worst teams. It's being called a bad draft so this is definitely the time to let Boston get it.

Yep, especially with Lebron going to the Lakers the top 3 seeds in the West are so much better than everybody else that if you have the 6th-8th spot you are getting smashed for the next 4 to 5 years. The only thing that sucks is they won't be able to trade Gasol for anything since they need him to get out of the bottom 8 and start their rebuild

The FO is 2 years away from officially admitting it’s a rebuild, even though they’ve already started. 

I can’t say I have a better plan either.