Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies sign Omri Casspi

This is an interesting signing. We could have waited right? It's not like he is a sought after FA. And this can't be the only move we make. Is there a trade in the works or are they gonna waive a player or make another signing soon? Teams are trying to take quick actions to snatch up the guys they want, and the price is not as low as I thought it would be. With only the MLE it's hard to imagine we could get Reke, Hood, KCP etc... 

Really don't see how he's better than the options we have now at SF but hey he's got the height so that counts for somethin.

1 minute ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Do we have to use part of our MLE to sign him since we're over cap?

+1. Does this eat in to our MLE or is the Vet Min just another exception that is separate from the MLE?

Just now, srmjr23 said:

+1. Does this eat in to our MLE or is the Vet Min just another exception that is separate from the MLE?

vet min doesnt eat in to MLE

4 minutes ago, cdp said:

Really don't see how he's better than the options we have now at SF but hey he's got the height so that counts for somethin.

Who do we have on the wing that shoots better?  Parsons maybe, if he is healthy enough.

4 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Well he's had the injuries necessary to make him a Grizzlies type of player, playing in just 64 games in last 3 years combined.

Of what significance is the tax line? I thought we were already capped so we are limited to MLE and other exceptions.

Ariza to Phx. Dam how many SF do they have? Somebody's getting traded. I hope were in onone of them (TJ). If not Im good with Hood

1 minute ago, srmjr23 said:

Of what significance is the tax line? I thought we were already capped so we are limited to MLE and other exceptions.

The luxury tax line, not the salary cap line. 

Presumably the team won't exceed the luxury tax line (but are way past the salary cap line)

I'd say it means the team can still do the MLE and could even take back some salary in a trade or sign another player to league minimum.  

They are going to need to waive players (barring trades) because of the roster size limit if they sign any more FA.

11 minutes ago, tjazz22 said:

When I see these, I wonder if this is just a ploy to get the Clippers to step up to at least the MLE.  Or a Grizzlies ploy to get Tyreke or some other MLE level player to sign.

Hope the guy learns to find a designated driver.

i liked Casspi's game 3-4 years ago, not sure about now and 30 years old an dafter njuries. So we had an $8.6 MLE, have to use around $1.1 mil to sign Carter to a long term deal, just used $2.2 on Casspi, so we have about $5.5 left?

Not sure who he will take minutes from....yawn

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

i liked Casspi's game 3-4 years ago, not sure about now and 30 years old an dafter njuries. So we had an $8.6 MLE, have to use around $1.1 mil to sign Carter to a long term deal, just used $2.2 on Casspi, so we have about $5.5 left?

Not sure who he will take minutes from....yawn

$2.2 is league minimum, not part of MLE.

42 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

$2.2 is league minimum, not part of MLE.

And of these 2.2M, only 1.5 counts against the cap. The league reimburses the difference between his salary (one year deal for the vet min, around 2.2) and the vet-min for a two-year veteran.