bobblybook1

Grizz shopping Parsons....and our 4th?

The thing about shopping is you don't HAVE to buy or sell.

Unlike a lot of folks, I'm not tied to #4. IF they made a trade, I'd want a helluva return.

However, my preference is to somehow luck into Bagley at 4 and just buy a pick or two in the second round.

I don't think some team is going to fork over $50Million just to trade slots and move up a few.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:25 PM, bhoyal said:

I don't think some team is going to fork over $50Million just to trade slots and move up a few.

Nah, some owners want to build a long term winner.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:47 PM, Grizz&Grind said:

The thing about shopping is you don't HAVE to buy or sell.

Unlike a lot of folks, I'm not tied to #4. IF they made a trade, I'd want a helluva return.

However, my preference is to somehow luck into Bagley at 4 and just buy a pick or two in the second round.

This would depend on who the top 3 is. 

Depending on that, I like 12 and 13 ESPECIALLY if the Clips can send us Montrezl Harrel, too. 

Late first round to mid second round looks loaded.  I think half my top 10 is mocked to go in this range....

I'm not sure it really is Wallace's style to be public on what is about to happen, and it is my belief that all these rumors of trades, players refusing to play for certain teams, or teams that "love" a certain player all are mostly BS.

So far, the only draft rumor I buy is that the Suns are taking Ayton.

I hear a lot that the Kings are going to go with Bagley and Hawks with JJJ, but I just think that is just mind games sent out by GMs or agents.

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

Nah, some owners want to build a long term winner.

So moving up 2 slots and taking on $50 million dollars means you want to be a long term winner?

58 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

So moving up 2 slots and taking on $50 million dollars means you want to be a long term winner?

They are willing to waste the 50 million if they think the player is significantly better for their future and he wont be there in when they pick. Thats pretty committed to winning in my book.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

They are willing to waste the 50 million if they think the player is significantly better for their future and he wont be there in when they pick. Thats pretty committed to winning in my book.

+1

It may not work out but it clearly shows a desire to be more competitive.

Just now, Dwash said:

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

+1

It may not work out but it clearly shows a desire to be more competitive.

But if a team has someone slotted as the BPA on their draft board but they realize they could get that same player at 6 or 7 and they trade down, dump a horrible contract pick up a couple of quality starters if not future stars(or numerous future first rd draft pics) and still get the player they want, that's a short sighted losing strategy right? Just want to be clear 

20 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

But if a team has someone slotted as the BPA on their draft board but they realize they could get that same player at 6 or 7 and they trade down, dump a horrible contract pick up a couple of quality starters if not future stars(or numerous future first rd draft pics) and still get the player they want, that's a short sighted losing strategy right? Just want to be clear 

Did I say anything about the mindset or strategy of the team on the other end?

29 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

No. If you have the BPA available later then certainly trade down. Boston did this successfully last season.

The issue is do you risk trading down and losing the player you could have had and wanted simply to unload a bad contract you already signed. Not a similar player but the player you wanted.

You look stupid and short sighted missing out on an All-Star simply to cover up another mistake made in the past. Two wrongs don’t make a right. If you do that trade you had best be correct. 

What I was saying previously is making a move to take on salary to get the player you wanted shows a desire to succeed. It may not work out but it shows your heart is in the right place. If the trade  you suggest fails it shows financial concerns were greater than the desire to win AND you shouldn’t be in the position to make these types of decisions.

Parsons is still rehabbing.

Nobody is going to take that unless its a bottom 1st

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Did I say anything about the mindset or strategy of the team on the other end?

Just asking

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

No. If you have the BPA available later then certainly trade down. Boston did this successfully last season.

The issue is do you risk trading down and losing the player you could have had and wanted simply to unload a bad contract you already signed. Not a similar player but the player you wanted.

You look stupid and short sighted missing out on an All-Star simply to cover up another mistake made in the past. Two wrongs don’t make a right. If you do that trade you had best be correct. 

What I was saying previously is making a move to take on salary to get the player you wanted shows a desire to succeed. It may not work out but it shows your heart is in the right place. If the trade  you suggest fails it shows financial concerns were greater than the desire to win AND you shouldn’t be in the position to make these types of decisions.

I mention that because so many people on this board act like there is no way we should trade down under any circumstances and I just don't understand it or they equate trading down with us getting some 35 year old player back at the end of his career. Makes no sense. As a matter of fact, Grizz have been better at trading (including draft day trades) than actually drafting so I'm not sure why people on this board are so negative to that concept.

Also, signing Parsons also showed that the team had the desire to succeed but it failed miserably. 

I think he ends up in Orlando one day

3 hours ago, Xerion said:

I think he ends up in Orlando one day

Orlando is a perfect trade partner. I have no idea why people are so attached to Parsons and hoping that he will one day be healthy for us when he has been hurt for the better part of 4 years. He's not going to miraculously turn it on at 30 years old and be fully healthy playing out that contract. 

33 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I have no idea why people are so attached to Parsons and hoping that he will one day be healthy for us ...

No attachment to Parsons but I'd feel ill if they use the 4th pick just to get off his contract. At this juncture, unless they are in the middle of a 3-team trade that yields All-Star or near All-Star level talent that will actually sign a long term deal to play in Memphis then it is best just to eat this year, taking the L with the contract, and move on.

10 minutes ago, Southern Dreadz said:

No attachment to Parsons but I'd feel ill if they use the 4th pick just to get off his contract. At this juncture, unless they are in the middle of a 3-team trade that yields All-Star or near All-Star level talent that will actually sign a long term deal to play in Memphis then it is best just to eat this year, taking the L with the contract, and move on.

Why do people keep saying this? Where have people seen anywhere that Memphis is using the 4th to dump Parsons contract? The only place I saw that is a silly rumor out of Dallas where they suggested the Grizz trade the #4 and Parsons for Dallas' cap space. So. let me get this straight, a rumor out of Dallas is suggesting that Dallas ends up with a #4 pick while retaining their #5 pick, so they get 2 top 5 picks and Memphis gets nothing. We're going to believe that right? If Wallace does that, he should be shot in the back of the head, hanged, drawn and quartered. Every rumor that you see that is one-sided where the Grizz give up the 4th/Parsons and get nothing back is coming from a city that is hoping that Memphis is dumb enough to do that. I'm not a big Wallace fan but i don't think he's that stupid.

Every national trade that i have seen have us retaining a lottery pick(generally top 8 or either 12 and 13 from the Clips) AND several productive players AND/OR future first round picks. How is that just dumping Parsons contract? I just don't understand why people on this board (not necessarily you, but the majority of people on this board) are so negative on this concept. They are all hopeful in drafting a 4th pick when we have been horrible at selecting 1st round picks yet they don't want to swing a trade when we have been much better at making trades(including draft day trades). I just don't understand 

If anything, I take it that the Grizz have put out feelers and are letting people know, a prereq for a trade includes taking on Parsons contract but you still need to make an attractive offer but you WILL take back Parsons contract. There is nothing wrong with that. That is the first step in negotiating. You are letting people know that you are willing to deal but you better come correct AND you have to take Parsons contract, that is not using the 4th pick to get off of Parsons' contract. That's a smart move (unlike the Tyreke trade fiasco). If we don't get a good offer, we keep the pick. No big deal. Lastly, I feel that Carter is #4 on their big board so if he is and the top 3 are gone, why not trade down and obtain  additional assets while getting the player you were going to get at 4 anyway? What's wrong with that?

8 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Why do people keep saying this? Where have people seen anywhere that Memphis is using the 4th to dump Parsons contract? The only place I saw that is a silly rumor out of Dallas where they suggested the Grizz trade the #4 and Parsons for Dallas' cap space. So. let me get this straight, a rumor out of Dallas is suggesting that Dallas ends up with a #4 pick while retaining their #5 pick, so they get 2 top 5 picks and Memphis gets nothing. We're going to believe that right? If Wallace does that, he should be shot in the back of the head, hanged, drawn and quartered. Every rumor that you see that is one-sided where the Grizz give up the 4th/Parsons and get nothing back is coming from a city that is hoping that Memphis is dumb enough to do that. I'm not a big Wallace fan but i don't think he's that stupid.

That's an illegal trade. The Mavs would have to give us their #5 (or a 1st round pick from elsewhere) so we could trade our #4.

26 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

That's an illegal trade. The Mavs would have to give us their #5 (or a 1st round pick from elsewhere) so we could trade our #4.

And that is part of my point. There are so many ridiculous rumors out there, why should we believe any of them? It seems as if the majority of the board is choosing to believe the worst case scenario for the Grizz where the Grizz get screwed.i just say evaluate all of your options and don't take any of the options off the table.

People on this board just wanna keep the pick and not even consider any other options which make no sense to me.

5 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

And that is part of my point. There are so many ridiculous rumors out there, why should we believe any of them? It seems as if the majority of the board is choosing to believe the worst case scenario for the Grizz where the Grizz get screwed.i just say evaluate all of your options and don't take any of the options off the table.

People on this board just wanna keep the pick and not even consider any other options which make no sense to me.

Yep. Wait to actually see the first three picks - if they fall Ayton, Bags, Doncic, then you decide, roll the dice on Porter or trade down and get players/picks and clear a roster spot of someone expendable (Martin/McLemore, etc.).

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Every national trade that i have seen have us retaining a lottery pick(generally top 8 or either 12 and 13 from the Clips) AND several productive players AND/OR future first round picks. How is that just dumping Parsons contract? I just don't understand why people on this board (not necessarily you, but the majority of people on this board) are so negative on this concept. They are all hopeful in drafting a 4th pick when we have been horrible at selecting 1st round picks yet they don't want to swing a trade when we have been much better at making trades(including draft day trades). I just don't understand 

If anything, I take it that the Grizz have put out feelers and are letting people know, a prereq for a trade includes taking on Parsons contract but you still need to make an attractive offer but you WILL take back Parsons contract. There is nothing wrong with that. That is the first step in negotiating. You are letting people know that you are willing to deal but you better come correct AND you have to take Parsons contract, that is not using the 4th pick to get off of Parsons' contract. That's a smart move (unlike the Tyreke trade fiasco). If we don't get a good offer, we keep the pick. No big deal. Lastly, I feel that Carter is #4 on their big board so if he is and the top 3 are gone, why not trade down and obtain  additional assets while getting the player you were going to get at 4 anyway? What's wrong with that?

Looking back on it, man it would have been nice to package Tyreke and Parson for a future #1 pick.

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I agree that historically the team has done better with trades instead of FA signings or even drafting in terms of talent acquisition.

However, I'm in the camp to acquire as much talent as possible. If a trade scenario involves moving back a few spots to get a pick or two and/or a young talent still on a rookie deal then I would prefer that option. Yet, if all they are doing is trading for a broken down vet and future picks then I am a firm HECK NO!

I would just rather the team take the chance at four than using it as a sweetener to unload Parsons. To make any trade work that involves Chancun would mean that they have to bring back comparable contract(s) and I just don't see any reason to tie that to the 4th.

I would rather they pick 4th and then shop Gasol for a pick in the 15th-23rd range this year. I honestly don't see Parsons yielding any real asset allocation value this year. Maybe before the trade deadline the FO can use his contract to help facilitate the move of some disgruntled star  whose team is looking for 3rd partner or some kinda salary dump.

I think people are focusing way too much on Parsons. To me, this trade would have nothing to do with Parsons. You dangle the #4 out there and say give me your best offer knowing you have to take Parsons contract. Evaluate all of the offers and if none are suitable keep the pick. It isn't about Parsons contract, it's about how badly a team wants that 4th pick to select Bamba or JJJ or whoever. Parsons is a throw in benefit, not the centerpiece.