Grizzled Vet

Vegas Summer League

2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Davis is trash 

EXACTLY... Im not talking 5 years from now. If he showed some kind of fire or fight it would be different. I dont see ANYTHING he's done better from the 1st rime he stepped on the floor. Maybe he will in a few years. But if everybody is saying the thowback big is being phased out...what good will he be in 5yrs?

2 hours ago, memphis slim said:

sort of like, you can't win a tournament (golf) on a thursday, but you can sure lose it....?

slim. 

Yeah sure.

The thing is if you're not a draft pick in your rookie or sophomore year and you're playing in SL, you most likely suck and will never be in the NBA. I mean there are exceptions here and there like injuries but for the most part, you suck. So if a 1st round draft pick does well against horrible competition that will never play in the NBA, you kinda expect it but if they look bad against a bunch of bad competition, that's a red flag. As always, there are caveats. Sometimes teams want someone to work on 1 specific skill so they aren't showing their full game. A lot of times it's not about winning or competing the team may have told them to work on a certain skill and they want to see progress but in general, playing badly means alot more than playing well. 

Jackson had a really good game shooting from the arc. Really good.

The overall game will need some work - he really needs to get stronger and grow into his body (knocked to the floor several times, looks awkward trying to face up and drive, etc.).

And at some point, he's going to have to play around the paint.

However, you can see that if he continues to mature and add to his frame/game, that he can be a solid pro.

JJJ can shoot rock from deep, he can finish roll/lobs and defensively he can switch on pick rolls/guard perimeter and protect rim

that's 4 nba ready skills and he's only 18

in time I'm sure he will improve other skills- face up, post moves, rebounding, handles, etc

1 hour ago, tjazz22 said:

EXACTLY... Im not talking 5 years from now. If he showed some kind of fire or fight it would be different. I dont see ANYTHING he's done better from the 1st rime he stepped on the floor. Maybe he will in a few years. But if everybody is saying the thowback big is being phased out...what good will he be in 5yrs?

If Hibbert can't get on a roster...  

6 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Davis is trash 

Why?  He shot the highest FG% on the team, his rebound rate was marginally exceeded by only Rabb and Green, his shotblocking rate tied for team best with Gasol, he sets good screens, had the lowest turnover rate on the team, had the second highest per of current team members (discounting MBrooks' 7 game stint), and shows signs of developing a mid-range jumper.  He improved in nearly every measurable statistical category.

I seriously think the biggest reasons people say he sucks is because of his (by comparison) extremely low key demeanor and body language, which neither have a single thing to do with production.  If he pounded his chest more and roared after good plays most of you would say he was great.

13 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I seriously think the biggest reasons people say he sucks is because of his (by comparison) extremely low key demeanor and body language, which neither have a single thing to do with production.  If he pounded his chest more and roared after good plays most of you would say he was great.

Pretty much.  

Hopefully we can keep all 3 bigs long term: JJJ, Rabb, and DD.  DD gives us an extra look with more shot blocking and size than Rabb and more rebounding than Jaren Jackson.  Davis is also a solid rim runner.  

Not saying he's an All Star but he looks like an ideal 3rd big... or 4th big in a REALLY DEEP rotation of big men.  

36 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Pretty much.  

Hopefully we can keep all 3 bigs long term: JJJ, Rabb, and DD.  DD gives us an extra look with more shot blocking and size than Rabb and more rebounding than Jaren Jackson.  Davis is also a solid rim runner.  

Not saying he's an All Star but he looks like an ideal 3rd big... or 4th big in a REALLY DEEP rotation of big men.  

2yrs from now we gonna be talking about DD and JJJ like we did z-bo and gasol...i think they are going to  be a great duo

3 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

2yrs from now we gonna be talking about DD and JJJ like we did z-bo and gasol...i think they are going to  be a great duo

tenor.gif

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why?  He shot the highest FG% on the team, his rebound rate was marginally exceeded by only Rabb and Green, his shotblocking rate tied for team best with Gasol, he sets good screens, had the lowest turnover rate on the team, had the second highest per of current team members (discounting MBrooks' 7 game stint), and shows signs of developing a mid-range jumper.  He improved in nearly every measurable statistical category.

Like you stated, I really think people judge him on his demeanor. His face kind of looks emotionless which people take as him not caring, I guess. He just might be low-key like Kawhai. Who knows other than those with him day-in and out?

I don’t see a guy setting the world on fire, but I don’t think he’s trash either. I actually like watching him play.

His stats are apparently on the rise so hopefully that continues. 

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Like you stated, I really think people judge him on his demeanor. His face kind of looks emotionless which people take as him not caring, I guess. He just might be low-key like Kawhai. Who knows other than those with him day-in and out?

I don’t see a guy setting the world on fire, but I don’t think he’s trash either. I actually like watching him play.

His stats are apparently on the rise so hopefully that continues. 

I think that's pretty fair, and with some improvements I think he could have a decent career as a first backup at center.  I think it's way too soon to pull the rug out.

On 7/2/2018 at 6:58 PM, costarica2 said:

We need to let D.Davis go he has no motor and I don't think that's something you can develop.

I agree.

14 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Selden starting tonight, good connection with DD so far

DD looks more comfortable out there with Seldon. 

JJ still knocking down 3's.

Jackson puts the ball on the floor smoothly and moves well. IIWII needs to take the hater glasses off and get on board. 

His defense is insane right now. Did y'all see him recover flawlessly after biting on that pump fake?

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Jackson puts the ball on the floor smoothly and moves well. IIWII needs to take the hater glasses off and get on board. 

2 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Jackson looks better today than he did yesterday

dbde2844aa48b45195a43a0ec3c5b4bc.gif