Grizzled Vet

Vegas Summer League

18 minutes ago, etngrizz said:

Grizzlies started out 7-3 last year then Conley went down.  We went 15-57 after that with Harrison running things, and on a team that was really hard to watch.  He's not a bad player, just not a real difference maker.  It's time to move on and take a chance on somebody different.  I just don't see Harrison or Kobi as long term solutions and definitely not saviors.

I want to see Marshon, Markel and Javon on the roster, and while I'm not wild about DD, at least he's good for an alley-oop or two and can knock down mid-range jumpers for the most part. As for Rabb, I kinda like him.  He's nothing spectacular but he does good things when he's on the floor, so I say keep DD and Rabb. I just don't see that we have any better options with bigs at this point.  

So I take it you are not a fan of development?  Harrison improved over the course of the season and he's playing the toughest position in the league.  It's true he doesn't have flashy stats, but he plays smart basketball and makes good decisions.

6 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

I don’t get all the Harrison bashing. He improved a lot last year and looks like he could be a very serviceable player on a 15 man team

It's because half the posters on the boards want a star at every position and have no respect for role players.  Kind of unrealistic IMO.

9 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

I don’t get all the Harrison bashing. He improved a lot last year and looks like he could be a very serviceable player on a 15 man team

I don't mean to be bashing.  It's just that his contract is team option and we have better options.

11 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

So I take it you are not a fan of development?  Harrison improved over the course of the season and he's playing the toughest position in the league.  It's true he doesn't have flashy stats, but he plays smart basketball and makes good decisions.

It's because half the posters on the boards want a star at every position and have no respect for role players.  Kind of unrealistic IMO.

There is a big difference between Harris and DD. When Harris makes me stakes you can see it on his face. He tries to recover from that mistake by playing harder on the next play similar to TA.

DD doesn't look like he cares when he's out there. It would be different if I can see that desire and hustle in him. 

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

To the contrary, I'm all for development.  I think it's way too early to give up on DD and Rabb, especially since our options are limited.  

We have options at guard right now.  I feel like Javon, Markel and Marshon all have more upside than Harrison.  It's not a matter of respect, just business.

29 minutes ago, etngrizz said:

I don't mean to be bashing.  It's just that his contract is team option and we have better options.

We don't have a better option than Andrew at pg behind Mike???? The team's record last year had very little to do with Drew being the pg and more to do with the team just not being very good if Mike and Marc aren't both healthy

There was a good stretch of games where Andrew carried us offensively towards the end of the season. The nice thing is he won't be asked to do that with Mike healthy, but it shows he has that ability. I still think his best comparison is Cory Joseph. He can score, but he will be a tough nosed player that plays hard on defense and can run the offense for the second team. 

3 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

He reacts dreadfully slow on defense.  I agree that his reaction time needs to be better.  As a 21 year old kid I expect he still has some learning to do to anticipate better.

Does not rebound out of his area.  This is one of my biggest concerns with him, agreed.

Can’t movd his feet when attacked off the dribble.  Yep, needs work.

Can’t space the floor.  Not a concern to me when he is used as the primary screener in pick and rolls as they have been doing in SL.  He has also shown that he can hit the 15-18 ft. jumper (he hit two last night), though he seldom gets the opportunity.

He’s a subpar free throw shooter.  How many backup bigs in the league are not?  He improved his FTs by 11% last season.

Makes super slow decisions with the ball.  Should get better with more burn.  He missed JJJ on a cut in the lane last night, but later made a nice pass to the wing for three.

Moves slow without the ball.  Yep, needs work.

And does not appear to be in shape.  If he won't put in the work to fix this, perhaps he should be gone.  None of his skills are good enough to warrant keeping him if he doesn't keep himself in shape, athleticism is his biggest plus.

At least you are saying something, and I agree with some of your points.  My contention is that he is still very young.  I don't think it is bad to keep him through the end of his contract to see if he makes any more progress.  He did make progress from his first year to his second.  We are up against the luxury tax and his contract is small.  Would we even be able to get someone else who moves the needle for that cost?

31 minutes ago, Blue Bear said:

There is a big difference between Harris and DD. When Harris makes me stakes you can see it on his face. He tries to recover from that mistake by playing harder on the next play similar to TA.

DD doesn't look like he cares when he's out there. It would be different if I can see that desire and hustle in him. 

This is maddening to me.  WTF does anybody need to demonstrate their emotions in a game?  People are wired differently.  I swear, if DD played exactly the same production wise but pounded his chest and screamed and yelled, some of you would think he was better.  It's basketball.  There are no extra points awarded for a show of emotions.

40 minutes ago, etngrizz said:

To the contrary, I'm all for development.  I think it's way too early to give up on DD and Rabb, especially since our options are limited.  

We have options at guard right now.  I feel like Javon, Markel and Marshon all have more upside than Harrison.  It's not a matter of respect, just business.

Jevon has done nothing in the NBA yet, not to mention Markel.  Markel and Marshon do not play PG to my knowledge which is Harrison's best position.  So you think having rookie Jevon Carter as the only backup PG on the roster behind Mike Conley, who is coming off an injury season with surgery, is a good idea?

12 hours ago, Blue Bear said:

Well, you didn't miss the Jaren Jackson Block Party.

‎Yea he tied the summer league record not shabby.  He and Deyonta could become a suffocating combo on defense. We need a third center tho. Not only to get Marc even more rest but to light a fire under Deyonta's ***. He has no competition for his spot right now.

edit-And everyone raggin on DD ain't wrong. But at the same time he's only 21, he'll be our only true backup center unless they bring in another, and he's the only thing stoppin the 2016 draft from bein our worst draft since Thabeet. So lets give him another year aight? This is a make or break season for him, he has to take another step.

29 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

This is maddening to me.  WTF does anybody need to demonstrate their emotions in a game?  People are wired differently.  I swear, if DD played exactly the same production wise but pounded his chest and screamed and yelled, some of you would think he was better.  It's basketball.  There are no extra points awarded for a show of emotions.

THANK YOU!!!! Introverts get treated worse than dirt in society. It's just dumb. Chest thumping accomplishes nothing. If you can't see past a lack of histrionic demonstrations and evaluate how a person is actually doing their job, then you are an idiot who probably thinks you're way smarter than you actually are.

59 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Nobody cares that Tim Duncan and Kawai Leonard act like robots. Stop it. Steven Adams isnt very emotional. Most think its a positive that he never shows emotion.

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Nobody cares that Tim Duncan and Kawai Leonard act like robots. Stop it. Steven Adams isnt very emotional. Most think its a positive that he never shows emotion.

Not on these boards.

15 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Not on these boards.

Why are you trying to find some other reason why people don’t want DD on the team other than the obvious?

55 minutes ago, tennesseessio said:

THANK YOU!!!! Introverts get treated worse than dirt in society. It's just dumb. Chest thumping accomplishes nothing. If you can't see past a lack of histrionic demonstrations and evaluate how a person is actually doing their job, then you are an idiot who probably thinks you're way smarter than you actually are.

We have Marc for histrionics and Jackson for personality (and the shimmy). But we need a big man who scowls. Davis can work on the scowl. Like Cartwright or Parish or Mahorn. Or the Lainbeer ironic smirk. DD needs to watch tapes so he can be our legit third big psychological case study. 

Oh, and we need to find a rim running/rim protecting center in next seasons draft. I saw one site that showed us having two (late) 2nd rounders. Those kinds of bigs are gonna get picked super high due to guys like Mitch Rob but that's basically what we need. DD is closer to an ideal 3rd string center like a new era Greg Kite. 

3 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Why are you trying to find some other reason why people don’t want DD on the team other than the obvious?

You, at least, had some valid points, some of which are to be expected in a young player.  Others have not.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying he's the future of the franchise or anything so silly.  I just think that he may develop into a serviceable, low cost, backup big man.  He's starting his third season this year and we don't have any room to add salary.  Best bet is to ride it out and see if he progresses.  If not, he falls off the books after the season along with Jam, Ben, Wayne, Drew and Jarrell.  At that point we should easily be able to find someone to adequately fill that slot.

28 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You, at least, had some valid points, some of which are to be expected in a young player.  Others have not.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying he's the future of the franchise or anything so silly.  I just think that he may develop into a serviceable, low cost, backup big man.  He's starting his third season this year and we don't have any room to add salary.  Best bet is to ride it out and see if he progresses.  If not, he falls off the books after the season along with Jam, Ben, Wayne, Drew and Jarrell.  At that point we should easily be able to find someone to adequately fill that slot.

99% of players who arent even surefired rotational players after 2 years and put up subpar Summer League performances do not turn out to be good NBA players. More than half of the guys who do play well in Summer League like your Wayne Selden types turn out to be mediocre NBA players. So what do you think a guy who cant play well in Summer League after 2 years of NBA prepping will be?

There are 10-15 bigs in the summer league (maybe more) that are having better showings than DD.  This does not even include theveteran backup big options.  

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

99% of players who arent even surefired rotational players and put up subpar Summer League performances do not turn out to be good NBA players. More than half of the guys who do play well in Summer League like your Wayne Selden types turn out to be mediocre NBA players. So what do you think a guy who cant play well in Summer League after 2 years of NBA prepping will be?

Whatever.  All of the emphasis on big man play in SL has been on JJJ, as it should be.  Offensively how many plays have been run for Davis?  It's kind of hard to perform when you're not even given the opportunity.  SL is a one-on-one league.  Most guys are more interested in getting their own shot than playing team ball.  You guys have your opinion.  I will wait until the season starts when we're (hopefully) playing team basketball before passing judgment.

I wouldn't give up on Harrison just yet

I’m judging DD on the last 2 seasons in the NBA, not summer league. There’s a chance he’ll be a serviceable backup in this league, and a chance he won’t. I’d have to think the coaches know him better than anyone so when they stop believing in him, then so will I. Nobody is trying to convince anyone we have the heir apparent here, just trying to state there is enough here to let the situation play out without getting caught up in his emotional expressions or lack of summer league domination. It will play out as it should, one way or the other.

11 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Whatever.  All of the emphasis on big man play in SL has been on JJJ, as it should be.  Offensively how many plays have been run for Davis?  It's kind of hard to perform when you're not even given the opportunity.  SL is a one-on-one league.  Most guys are more interested in getting their own shot than playing team ball.  You guys have your opinion.  I will wait until the season starts when we're (hopefully) playing team basketball before passing judgment.

I thought DD was just supposed to block shots and rebound and be solid around the basket why does he need plays ran for him to do that... Last night PJ Carlisimo pointed out that both teams were getting gto the rim too easily both JJJ and DJ were out of the game DD was the rim protector during that stretch...... I don't think it's as minute as DD not showing expression on the court but when you watch him play he just doesn't seem to understand what needs to be done at what moment......very low bbIQ

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

This is exactly what it is. Harrison has already proven to be a solid role player but because he isn’t a star people want to replace him with someone who still has a unclear career path 

19 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Dude, what a lame excuse. So if his problem is lack of touches now whats going to happen in the NBA? They are never going to run most of the plays for him. He is a junk man and not very good at it. So this is the same role he will play in a NBA game. And its not like JJJ is just out there shooting everything and getting it every time down. His usage has been modest.

They always say it means nothing to be good in SL but if you are bad in SL then there's cause for concern......DD has just been meh see so I guess that means he could go either way