Grizzled Vet

Vegas Summer League

Not sure where to put this and I didn't think it deserved it's own thread so I'm piggybacking on this one.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/709093/the-gasol-brothers-relive-the-2015-all-star-jump-ball-for-a-good-cause/

Marc and Pau organized a charity game in Spain with multiple players from the NBA and ACB. Interestingly, Marc's team featured both Dillon Brooks and Omri Casspi, so that's the most we're going to see from our non-SL players until training camp.

Marc's team won, with 21 points from him, 26 from Dillon and 12 from Casspi. Not very meaningful of course, but I like that Brooks is carrying over his scoring mentality from last season. 

2 hours ago, bhoyal said:

p.s. - Wade Baldwin with 10 assists and 8 rebounds yesterday for Portland. 

FO gave up too soon.  He was what, 21 years old when they cut him?  Bad move.

He averaged 14.2 and 6.3 for us in last year's summer league. I'm not sure you can call that an improvement.

Is clear that JJJ has issues getting his own shot off at the moment...our guards have been Awful all summer league theyre not putting our bigs in good positions to score.

2 hours ago, bhoyal said:

I think last night is a good indication that JJJ needs to be a forward, not a center.  He needs to play facing the bucket.

-----------------------------------------------

A 3rd year Summer Leaguer should be unstoppable.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

That's exactly why the grizzly look terrible yesterday. They didn't have Wayne Selden to bail them out.

Kobi did his part and looked good, Jaren Jackson Jr had his moments but when you're going against Jonathan Isaac and mo Bamba you just not going to win that.

Carter looks like he has a ways to go as well. Dee Dede Davis was just trying to be a coach on the floor and try to help the young guys out.

7 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

That's exactly why the grizzly look terrible yesterday. They didn't have Wayne Selden to bail them out.

Kobi did his part and looked good, Jaren Jackson Jr had his moments but when you're going against Jonathan Isaac and mo Bamba you just not going to win that.

Carter looks like he has a ways to go as well. Dee Dede Davis was just trying to be a coach on the floor and try to help the young guys out.

No lie, on the flip side Brunson didn't look too good either.

Carter is really bad offensively.  Its possible getting into more of a system style play could help but he seems to make a lot of bad decisions offensively and his shot isn't dropping.  Good defender though :)

22 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

"Dee Dede Davis" needs to worry about his own development if he wants to be on an NBA roster past his rookie deal. If he ain't careful he might end up like Baldwin.

My main takeaway so far is that I haven't seen any rookie clearly better all around than JJJ. I expected him to be even less polished, which is why I'm happy so far, but I had no expectations that he would light up the league right away. I do think he has the tools and attitude to improve faster than I thought before the draft (remember he was my least wanted choice at #4 ahead of the draft).

From now on the focus should be on the deep bench players and two-way contracts, IMHO.

My only critique of J3 at this point is he needs to get stronger.  Its a known fact that he doest have much of a post game, but strength will go a long way to improving that.  He gets pushed around too easily and cant finish through contact.

Looks like he has little  control over his arms and legs right now.  A year or so in a high end strength program will do wonders for him.

14 minutes ago, Adrenalize74 said:

My only critique of J3 at this point is he needs to get stronger.  Its a known fact that he doest have much of a post game, but strength will go a long way to improving that.  He gets pushed around too easily and cant finish through contact.

Looks like he has little  control over his arms and legs right now.  A year or so in a high end strength program will do wonders for him.

I think we should shut him down for the remainder of SL and send him to P3 or a similar program so he can work on some core conditioning and coordination exercises ahead of the season.

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

Like Davis?  6 pts in 22 minutes last night.  4 fouls.

He dominated alright,  oops, meant GOT dominated.

-----------------------------------

I don't know if 22 points in 26 minutes is good, but that is what WB4 had the game before.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

I think we should shut him down for the remainder of SL and send him to P3 or a similar program so he can work on some core conditioning and coordination exercises ahead of the season.

I didn't watch any films but Carter looks like a keeper to me. I thought he was 6-7 but he looks taller than that to me.

5 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I watched embid move buckfamba around like a child. Buckfamba is bigger than jjj. Jjj has to add muscle

He’s 18 and is obviously going to put on pounds. I don’t understand why people keep bringing that up like it’s a huge obstacle he has to overcome.

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I didn't watch any films but Carter looks like a keeper to me. I thought he was 6-7 but he looks taller than that to me.

Which Carter are you talking about? Jevon? If so, he's 6-1

1 hour ago, bhoyal said:

Like Davis?  6 pts in 22 minutes last night.  4 fouls.

He dominated alright,  oops, meant GOT dominated.

-----------------------------------

I don't know if 22 points in 26 minutes is good, but that is what WB4 had the game before.

The hell? Davis garbage too. Who said otherwise?

You are cherrypicking games which is dumb. What is Baldwins overall stats? They are garbage. He will be out of the league soon.

This summer so far WB4 is averaging around 14 pts, 6 boards, 8 assists/ game.  Portland (a team that won 50 games last season, for some reason does not think he is garbage.)

But I do agree that Davis is garbage.  The Grizz need to find a REAL backup center and cut him.

5 hours ago, Allen said:

He’s 18 and is obviously going to put on pounds. I don’t understand why people keep bringing that up like it’s a huge obstacle he has to overcome.

Does he need to add muscle or not? Did I say it was impossible? I'm just saying he needs to add weight,  it's not that deep bro

With Marc, Conley, and SlowMo, JJJ will have ample opportunities to score. Too bad Parson is hurt because we'd four passers to assist JJJ. It think JJJ will be alright. 

13 hours ago, bhoyal said:

-----------------------------------------------

There’s something so Coach Hesam about this...can’t put my finger on it...

3 hours ago, bhoyal said:

This summer so far WB4 is averaging around 14 pts, 6 boards, 8 assists/ game.  Portland (a team that won 50 games last season, for some reason does not think he is garbage.)

But I do agree that Davis is garbage.  The Grizz need to find a REAL backup center and cut him.

Yes, Portland does think he is trash. They did not guarantee his deal. Only a two way player. Since the offseason, they acquired two guards via draft (Simons, Trent) and two free agents (Curry, Staukas). Nothing for Baldwin.  Didnt save him a spot. You sound ridiculous to be honest.