Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Robert Williams has all the tools to ignite the grizzlies putrid fast break

Robert Williams has all the tools to be a fastbreak nightmare for teams.

The elements of a fast break:

* get a stop
* secure a board
* get down the court

Think: the greak freak, or, who I see Williams as: The Next Shawn Kemp. You could also say that he is a defensive "young" blake griffin.

The thing is that one of the ways you can attack golden state is to run on them. A team that likes to run doesn't LIKE to get run on.

In previous years the way the grizzlies and many teams try to stop the warriors is to slow the game down and try to break their rhythm. Which is a valid strategy.
Another is: shoot a bunch of 3s, like the rockets and try to outscore them.

I think that a good way to approach it is two prong: defend the 3 with versatile defenders and then to run on them to tire them out.
The grizzlies need atheletes to do that. When you slow the game down you somewhat play into the warriors hands. Because they can conserve energy.

I'm thinking that the grizzlies need to model their team after a modern-day RUN-TMC (but with a focus on defense).

The grizzlies already have one of the pieces: Books, who is one of the best fast break players due to his finishing ability.
If the grizzlies trade down they can get williams and another guy: troy brown? A player that can defend and run.

I so pray that this isn't Chris Wallace trying to downplay expectations on this draft. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

* get a stop
* secure a board
* get down the court

Think: the greak freak, or, who I see Williams as: The Next Shawn Kemp. You could also say that he is a defensive "young" blake griffin.

The thing is that one of the ways you can attack golden state is to run on them. A team that likes to run doesn't LIKE to get run on.

In previous years the way the grizzlies and many teams try to stop the warriors is to slow the game down and try to break their rhythm. Which is a valid strategy.

I think that a good way to approach it is two prong: defend the 3 with versatile defenders and then to run on them to tire them out.
The grizzlies need atheletes to do that. When you slow the game down you somewhat play into the warriors hands. Because they can conserve energy.

I'm thinking that the grizzlies need to model their team after a modern-day RUN-TMC (but with a focus on defense).

The grizzlies already have one of the pieces: Books, who is one of the best fast break players due to his finishing ability.
If the grizzlies trade down they can get williams and another guy: troy brown? A player that can defend and run.

source.gif

Just answer this question: who in the league has the length, the athetic ability and quickness and the defensive skillset to shut down kd?

I say this to show you how unique of a player he is. And unless you are trying to shut down kd, you are not trying to win a championship.
Most of the time teams put their quickest defender on kd, who are usually a lot smaller than kd, because their big guys and quick and their small guys(while they can stay in front) aren't tall enough to do it.
So who in the league can do that?

53 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

* get a stop
* secure a board
* get down the court

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Just answer this question: who in the league has the length, the athetic ability and quickness and the defensive skillset to shut down kd?

I say this to show you how unique of a player he is. And unless you are trying to shut down kd, you are not trying to win a championship.
Most of the time teams put their quickest defender on kd, who are usually a lot smaller than kd, because their big guys and quick and their small guys(while they can stay in front) aren't tall enough to do it.
So who in the league can do that?

Robert Williams won’t be able to stop KD anymore than anyone else not named Tony Allen.

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Robert Williams won’t be able to stop KD anymore than anyone else not named Tony Allen.

Lionel Hollins said that one offseason KD got a lot stronger and even Tony Allen started having problems holding him.

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wonder if Bamba can do anything about KD?  If he can't then Ayton and Bagley sure as heck won't.

This might be the reason JJJ is supposedly a top 5 guy even if he didn't produce a whole lot at Michigan State.

Just now, Dwash said:

Lionel Hollins said that one offseason KD got a lot stronger and even Tony Allen started having problems holding him.

So no one can completely shut down KD. Why does KBM think Robert Williams can?

Just now, chipc3 said:

So we basically need to find the new Dennis Rodman aka the only guy who could guard MJ, Bird, Magic, AND Hakeem/Shaq.  

Any other legit 5 position defenders in NBA history?

Talk about trying to find a unicorn.

Rodman's unicorn defense might have been even more impressive than his video game rebounding skills.

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You need to find a guy with the athletic ability the agility to stay in front of KD and the length and jumping ability to make him think about his shot getting blocked.

23 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You need to find a guy with the athletic ability the agility to stay in front of KD and the length and jumping ability to make him think about his shot getting blocked.

Why do you believe Robert Williams has those skills? I’ve seen some video on him and I don’t see it. He looks like an undersized center to me. I do t see him defending on the perimeter well. He has no outside shot either so he won’t spread the court on the offensive end. He’s a good prospect but a long way from being a KD stopper.

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Hmm, maybe it's the guy Danny Ainge wants to trade up for and draft.

I'm holding out hope for Sagaba Konate next year to be the guy who can guard all 5 spots.  

For all we know, the next guy who can defend all 5 spots is probably some wacko at a Texas juco.

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Why do you believe Robert Williams has those skills? I’ve seen some video on him and I don’t see it. He looks like an undersized center to me. I do t see him defending on the perimeter well. He has no outside shot either so he won’t spread the court on the offensive end. He’s a good prospect but a long way from being a KD stopper.

I was with you until you said "he is a good prospect." Gotta draw the line there.

10 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I was with you until you said "he is a good prospect." Gotta draw the line there.

Yeah, that didn't look too good.

Basically a tweener with not that many skills.

Probably an ideal third big man though -- maybe HE is the guy who free falls in the draft.

I would take him at 32 no matter what.

Any team that spends a first round pick on Williams needs to be demoted to the G-League.

He's not even the best big on his own college team.

He's Jam Green with bad knees.

Chip they were nitpicking him in that video. Does he not go 100 miles an hour all of the time? Sure. But you won't find anybody in this draft with the size he has that plays harder on defense than Williams does, night in and night out.
Hell, JJJ is freakin non-existent 3 quarters of the time, regardless.

Also, the less valuable anyltics-led concept is the stretch four. In that houston-warriors series ryan anderson barely saw the court. The lob target has replaced the stretch four, largely.

If I were the grizzlies I'd draft williams and then I work on his ballhandling and nothing else his entire rookie season. If he could take the ball up the court, he could be deadly.

Mr Wallace WE DO NOT WANT ROBERT WILLIAMS. 

Take a look at this 6-6 wing player hit 16 NBA range three's in a row.  He may or may not sneak into the late 2nd round.

He held Robert Williams to 5 points when they played in February.