• Marvin Bagley
    • Mohamed Bamba
    • Wendell Carter
    • Luka Doncic
    • Jaren Jackson Jr.
    • Michael Porter Jr.
    • Trae Young
    • Trade the **** thing

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/21/2018 at 11:00 PM

I would have been mad about JJJ if Porter didn't clearly have a shredded up back. Luka and Bagley were off the board so there wasn't much we could do at that point. I would have taken Trae Young and tried to negotiate with Atlanta or just keep Young but I can understand JJJ. A lot of people talked about wanting our FO to have conviction about a player. Well, they had it for Jaren. At least we took a chance on someone rather than doubling down on the Mike/Marc era.

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

For those wondering, the Grizzlies are going back to their Grit and Grind identity with this draft. Two promising defense first players with some potential offense as well.

Sorry, I don't buy that angle.  

I mean, you can take that interpretation, but I'm sorry, I can't give this F.O. that much credit.  Actually, let me take it a step further - if they think these moves will reinvigorate GnG, they are deluding themselves.

I think at this point, trying to sell this fanbase that this roster can win is just slow-rolling the rebuild because you think that you give yourself no hope to sell tickets otherwise.  The sooner you re-align your assets, the sooner you can build the next iteration of this team.

The Grizzlies have enough of a history here, that if the Memphis fanbase is real, they will at least somewhat support a rebuild if the organization will be honest with them that this is where we are.  But can the fanbase really be sold that this roster can be a playoff team next year?  In the West?  Because going into this draft, that was the message. 

You can sell hope for the future if you have players exciting to watch.  I can believe that JJJ could develop into an exciting player to watch.  I really enjoy watching Dillon Brooks.  Again, my problem with the pick isn't the player, it's the strategy.  Or, the apparent lack of one. 

9 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I would have been mad about JJJ if Porter didn't clearly have a shredded up back. Luka and Bagley were off the board so there wasn't much we could do at that point. I would have taken Trae Young and tried to negotiate with Atlanta or just keep Young but I can understand JJJ. A lot of people talked about wanting our FO to have conviction about a player. Well, they had it for Jaren. At least we took a chance on someone rather than doubling down on the Mike/Marc era.

I think drafting someone who likely takes their rookie deal to develop means that's exactly what they just did.

Overall....this is a great draft-----for another team. For us, it's pretty terrible. We needed scoring and added 2 solid players who specialize in defense. Here's a short summary of how I feel.

JJJ has an incredibly high ceiling, is freakishly athletic, and has nice defensive instincts. But, he's VERY raw and this franchise has been terrible at developing talent. JJJ could really excel on a team that had the luxury of properly developing him. I'm highly doubtful that we can do that.

Carter is a great pick for a team that needs a defensive stopper at pg without relying on him for scoring contributions. We need the exact opposite of that. We need a volume scoring spark plug off of the bench.

These 2 kids are nice players and could really develop into great players on another team. I don't think the players that we selected are bad. I just think that they're not a good fit for our needs at the moment and we have a poor track record in player development. I hope the coaches/front office proves me wrong, but I have very little faith in them based on past history.

4 minutes ago, TonyMassenturd said:

Overall....this is a great draft-----for another team. For us, it's pretty terrible. We needed scoring and added 2 solid players who specialize in defense. Here's a short summary of how I feel.

JJJ has an incredibly high ceiling, is freakishly athletic, and has nice defensive instincts. But, he's VERY raw and this franchise has been terrible at developing talent. JJJ could really excel on a team that had the luxury of properly developing him. I'm highly doubtful that we can do that.

Carter is a great pick for a team that needs a defensive stopper at pg without relying on him for scoring contributions. We need the exact opposite of that. We need a volume scoring spark plug off of the bench.

These 2 kids are nice players and could really develop into great players on another team. I don't think the players that we selected are bad. I just think that they're not a good fit for our needs at the moment and we have a poor track record in player development. I hope the coaches/front office proves me wrong, but I have very little faith in them based on past history.

Well said.

45 minutes ago, Adrenalize74 said:

Ok, looking at it this way:

P: Conley / Simmons (yeah, I don't want to see any more of Harrison) 20ppg

SG: M. Brooks / Evans 30ppg

SF: Parsons / D. Brooks 20ppg

PF: JJJ / Rabb 20ppg

Center: Gasol / DD 20ppg

That's 110 points.  Add in Selden with another 5-10 avg, we should average over 100.  Maybe we are ok on offense?

Doesn't work like that

3 minutes ago, TonyMassenturd said:

So I guess we'll never ever get any better at player development so maybe we should quit trying?  We should just trade away all our draft picks and every other year when we're forced to keep a first rounder due to the Stepien rule we should just draft the best four year college player, because he will be the most developed.  That'll solve everything.

The Grizzlies have taken a lot of steps to better their player development including a couple recent coaching hires.  I think maybe we should give it a chance.

4 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

I think drafting someone who likely takes their rookie deal to develop means that's exactly what they just did.

Doubling down would have been trading the pick for a veteran or using it to dump Parsons.

We dodged a bullet on that front.

17 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Sorry, I don't buy that angle.  

I mean, you can take that interpretation, but I'm sorry, I can't give this F.O. that much credit.  Actually, let me take it a step further - if they think these moves will reinvigorate GnG, they are deluding themselves.

I think at this point, trying to sell this fanbase that this roster can win is just slow-rolling the rebuild because you think that you give yourself no hope to sell tickets otherwise.  The sooner you re-align your assets, the sooner you can build the next iteration of this team.

The Grizzlies have enough of a history here, that if the Memphis fanbase is real, they will at least somewhat support a rebuild if the organization will be honest with them that this is where we are.  But can the fanbase really be sold that this roster can be a playoff team next year?  In the West?  Because going into this draft, that was the message. 

You can sell hope for the future if you have players exciting to watch.  I can believe that JJJ could develop into an exciting player to watch.  I really enjoy watching Dillon Brooks.  Again, my problem with the pick isn't the player, it's the strategy.  Or, the apparent lack of one. 

Exactly! Looking at Golden State from before they became how great they are,  they were entertaining win lose or draw. If were going to rebuild at least make it fun for us and not lie to our faces

We have to find a way to develop players into solid starters like we did with Gasol and Conley ..

That's the only way we are going to get better.

9 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Jackson is not an athletic freak, he's not fluid at all. 

I’m seeing the same thing. He does have a little handle though.

people trying to talk me into this being a good pick on a Grizz nation. Not happening until i have to eat a plate of crow

2 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

This idiot did the same crap as always, it's so predictable but I guess the moron will be around for a couple of more years because our owner doesn't give a crap about the franchise.

Wallace did the same thing as the Tyreke Evans trade, he let everybody know that he wanted to trade badly and so the other teams gave him crap offers. Then when donc/Bagley were gone he tries to cover himself by BSing and saying what happened is actually what he really wanted all along. 

Then, he promises a prospect for no reason so that when good talent falls, he has to take him because you can't promise someone and then ignore them because it destroys the credibility of the franchise. 

We can't score worth a **** and we took two defense only players, this is so consistently mediocre, stupid and infuriating. 

The Bag Man? Who the F cares? Dude looks like LaRue Martin and even got LaRue's jumper. Doncic? 3rd best white dude on my big board. Meh. 

The top of the draft board has some land mines. 

Ayton doesn't do it for me. Although he is probably good on offense at least.

Porter/Young: wouldn't lose sleep over it.

37 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

I’m seeing the same thing. He does have a little handle though.

people trying to talk me into this being a good pick on a Grizz nation. Not happening until i have to eat a plate of crow

Share some ribs with JJJ

2 hours ago, TonyMassenturd said:

who would you suggest as opposed to those two?

3 hours ago, grizz1016 said:

Both were great defenders in college but they also shot 39% from long distance (Carter last 2 years). They are not bad offensive players; not sure why we are assuming the offense will fall off a cliff.

Wouldn’t the offense have to be on the cliff to fall off of it? 

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

The rebuilding isnt done. Its only begun. This isnt the final piece. But he can be an extremely important piece.

You don’t draft pieces at 4 that’s what late lottery picks are for. You swing for stars with high draft picks. 

Well...I wasn't high on Jackson before the draft.  But now that he's here, I'll be rooting for him to be great.

As for our second round pick, I thought we were looking for a wing?  But again, now that Jevon is with us, I hope he becomes our PG of the future.

And now, as others have pointed out, let's see what we can get from the undrafted players.

6 hours ago, TonyMassenturd said:

I totally agree!!! Every thing is FIT BASED!

Even at your job??? You have to be a great FIT

For your organization/company and/or team.