Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Head Coach Thread

Orlando just fired Frank Vogel, who Memphis tried to hire before settling on Fizdale a couple years ago.

Could see Memphis trying to get him this time around, though I wouldn't be thrilled about it if he's hired.

Still think they'll probably just lazily extend JB, unfortunately.

I think they should make a run at either Marc Jackson or Kevin McHale (or maybe Jason Kidd). They need a vet coach who was a former respected player to keep Gasol's attention. No more assistant coach/lifers getting a shot at their first head coaching gig. Gasol won't respect them .

47 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

I think they should make a run at either Marc Jackson or Kevin McHale (or maybe Jason Kidd). They need a vet coach who was a former respected player to keep Gasol's attention. No more assistant coach/lifers getting a shot at their first head coaching gig. Gasol won't respect them .

Jackson maybe. The other two don't rate as guys who'd be here long, expecially Kidd. 

I think they'll give JB another crack at it. This season was not on him.

There's also this David Fizdale guy available...

Might as well let JB have it.  Try and make the playoffs next season and then get ready for the rebuild.

I've watched the exit interviews and Gasol, Conley and Parsons seemed to be on the JB train. So there's that.

3 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Chris Wallace and JB will be back.

Most probably.

But I'd take Mark Jackson for sure.

He'd definitely be GNG, but he's not afraid to speak his mind to management which is probably the reason he wouldn't be considered.

I’ve been saying Kevin McHale for years since our best player is a C. And if we get Ayton, McHale would make even more sense. But I’m cool with JB. 

Marc Jackson is the perfect fit for Memphis, his brand of basketball is perfect for our city. JB is a fine back-up though. 

IF we keep the same FO then I think JB will be back. Actually I want him back too. He's paid his dues and has been a big part of the tank, should give him another shot. Also if we suck again next season due to injuries he would do a good tank job repeating what he's done this season.

The coach doesn’t matter if the talent is subpar. Once again a qualified coach is being forced to take the blame of a poorly constructed team. 

We are not going to get a new coach unless we change our FO and fire Wallace. The roster itself is not a problem, we have Marc, Mike and a top 5 pick and that's better than most of the other teams seeking a new coach, but the FO would be a major issue for any good coach considering a new job. There is no long term vision, and the Fiz firing would scare off a lot of coaches. That's why we are not going to pursue any coaches just to get turned down to embarrass ourselves. We will be stuck with JB for a while.

No to Mark Jackson.

No to Kevin McHale.

Given the rumors on Mark Jackson, my guess is he'll be a candidate for several openings every year, but not hired.

People on here believed Joerger and Hollins got what was coming to them for not getting along with management, but at least they generally got along with the majority of their staff. Mark Jackson was the (rumored) dysfunctional leader of that franchise, with problems all around.  

McHale has had his opportunities in the league.

I'd go so far to say that I would rather bring back Hollins or Joerger versus either of those 2.

3 hours ago, MEM GRYZ said:

Moritz Wagner would be great beside Marc Gasol.

Ahem, this is the Head Coach thread.