Memphis Maverick

2019 NBA DRAFT

Still waiting on Trench Coat Wally's High School Sophomore Big Board.

I know who I want at 1.

At 2... I think I am going in the right direction, and this guy might also be there at 5-8 which would be good for us.

2-5 is tough in this draft.  

"Depth" might be better in the 7-15 range -- or at least the "high end" "conventional wisdom" guys.  Half of my top ten faves probably won't even be picked in the first round.  Oh well.  Just shows how many people are WRONG every year.

I still hope we do not have a pick this draft.  If we are not picking 1 or 2 I would be glad with it going away so we can get serious about a rebuild.  Cant rebuild with no assets :(

1 hour ago, Gradey said:

I still hope we do not have a pick this draft.  If we are not picking 1 or 2 I would be glad with it going away so we can get serious about a rebuild.  Cant rebuild with no assets :(

We DEFINITELY can't rebuild with Marc and maybe even Mike on the roster.  

DO THAT then we can talk about a rebuild.  And, the 2019 Draft would be a good place to start. 

We actually need to tank TWO of the next 3 years.  The sooner we start the better.

26 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

We DEFINITELY can't rebuild with Marc and maybe even Mike on the roster.  

DO THAT then we can talk about a rebuild.  And, the 2019 Draft would be a good place to start. 

We actually need to tank TWO of the next 3 years.  The sooner we start the better.

Yep you said it.  I think we may be able to move Marc or maybe he wont sign the player option this off season.  So I think Marc is doable for a tank starting next season.  Mike I think is going to be with us in the tank I think though, his contract is tough for a dude his age and size.  Plus, we will have to spend money on the team even when tanking and he is a good spot to dump 90 mill lol.

We have some gnarly contracts for players who are far under-producing for their money which makes it VERY difficult to turn those contracts into anything other than more bad contracts.  If we can work a trade for Marc and Chandler where we get something decent and do not saddle ourselves with even more contracts for bad players...that would be amazing.  What I'm afraid of though, is that folks are going to look to us to give up assets to take those contracts (which we don't have) or take their bum contracts back in the trade.  That doesn't really help us IMO.  If we did that we are still stuck with bad contracts and no picks.

It doesn't matter which way you stack it...when you get down to the actual gritty details of any idea we propose there is not an answer that makes you happy about Grizz position.  All these idiotic moves over the years are catching up quickly and IMO it WILL be ugly.  Very ugly before it starts to turn. And I have zero faith in this front office to make the decisions that will allow this to turn into a success in the future.

one way for the grizzlies to start  there rebuild ,that beast from duke would be a big asset

Zion and RJ are pipedreams.  For Grizz fans sanity I advise you all to scout the 2nd tier prospects.   Always keep in mind that draft ratings are not an exact science.  There are ALWAYS guys ranked highly that bust and guys ranked low that boom.   We should simply target highest wing on draft board that has proven/has tools to be a dynamic scorer.  

Memphis will most likely fall behind Detroit and Washington in the next week in the overall NBA standings. Orlando, the other team very close to the Grizzlies in the standings, is also playing .500 ball lately and should continue to rise.

That would put the Grizzlies at #6. If Atlanta continues playing how they have, Memphis should jump them as well by season's end for #5 in the lottery. Unfortunately, after Atlanta, Memphis might not be able to catch Phx, NY. Chi, or Clev.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Zion and RJ are pipedreams.  For Grizz fans sanity I advise you all to scout the 2nd tier prospects.   Always keep in mind that draft ratings are not an exact science.  There are ALWAYS guys ranked highly that bust and guys ranked low that boom.   We should simply target highest wing on draft board that has proven/has tools to be a dynamic scorer.  

Not with the new draft lottery reform that increases the odds at 5/6. Then you now have Ja Morant who could bump RJ down to three.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Not with the new draft lottery reform that increases the odds at 5/6. Then you now have Ja Morant who could bump RJ down to three.

Yeah, I am actually not a fan of landing at 2.  That would tell CW that, hey, you HAVE to take The RJ Barrett aka The Nabisco Kid.  Chris Wallace and Conventional Wisdom have the same ticker symbol if that means anything....

After Zion: do your homework!

Yeah, Ja seems cool.  In a wide-open NBA with JJJ as a pick-pop/roll/post-up safety valve we could have our 1-2 punch for the future.

RJ has too much Wroten-tential for me -- especially at 2.

But, 1 yeah, no brainer.

Then 5-8 looks super nice.  If you are wanting a mega superstar then you might be disappointed but there are guys in that range who could help round out a fierce four horsemen centered around Jaren Jackson, Jr.

For the 2020 "experts", Anthony Edwards is slotted to go 1 according to nbadraft.net.  Edwards reminds me more of a souped-up OJ Mayo.  Nice, but maybe not worth tanking for.  They also have James Wiseman going 11.  Maybe that is way low but maybe they know something we don't.  Also don't think Wiseman and Jaren are the best fit.  I might be even LESS excited about the rest of the 2020 draft -- well, unless some of the "2019 talent" goes back to school.

I might post a Lotto Big Board later today....

I have "most" of the guys for my 2019 first round but I need to do more research on a few of the guys.

With the lotto I will have 2 or 3 tiers but maybe no more than that.  

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Never draft for a position. Always take the best player available. Use free agency and trades to fill needs. In a small market you only get one real shot at acquiring talent. 

Only thing I am looking for in 2019 is a 10%ish chance at Zion and to get a young starter to go with Jaren.  There are a lot of guys projected to go in the top 8 that I do not think are sure fire starters in the NBA. My guy is Cam Reddish.  Has been.  I see him as potentially a bigger version of Khris Middleton.  A starting SG or SF that can spread the floor and defend multiple positions.  I like him more than RJ.  I am not sure how RJ reacts to not being what he was brought up to be: the James Hardenish type.

Ja Morant shoots 30% from deep.  That is likely a no from me dawg.

My sleeper is Jordan Poole.  Sneakily reminds of CJ McCullum.

Also like De'Andre Hunter.

17 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Only thing I am looking for in 2019 is a 10%ish chance at Zion and to get a young starter to go with Jaren.  There are a lot of guys projected to go in the top 8 that I do not think are sure fire starters in the NBA. My guy is Cam Reddish.  Has been.  I see him as potentially a bigger version of Khris Middleton.  A starting SG or SF that can spread the floor and defend multiple positions.  I like him more than RJ.  I am not sure how RJ reacts to not being what he was brought up to be: the James Hardenish type.

But you wanted John Wall?

31 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Reddish and Hunter might be my "consolation prizes" after Zion.  With either one you have a GREAT defensive foundation along with Jaren, Kyle, and Jevon.  Plus those 3 still give you a post game with Jaren, a sneaky slashing game with Kyle and toughness from Jevon plus whatever you get with Reddish/Hunter.

I think RJ and Morant will have similar draft stocks.  I can see them both moving up and down together.  Probably as high as 2/3 but maybe a bit lower down the lottery.

I want to do more research on Romeo Langford, Jarrett Culver, and Quentin Grimes.  I WANT to talk myself into Nassir Little but it is HARD.  He's more like a guy you take a flyer on with a late first/early second round pick and you have ALREADY won the lottery with Zion Williamson at 1.  Little is a "house money" pick.

The centers/bigs could either get you fired -- or get you a pay raise.  Although if Moses Brown comes out he could be a better value as a mid first rounder than Bol Bol or Daniel Gafford 5 to 10 spots earlier.

Gotta do your homework for this draft -- even if you are picking at 2!

Oh, another wrinkle: since we picked at 2 last in 2009 the Cartoon/Video Game Era of the NBA took off.  BUT, are we nearer to the END of that era than the beginning? What will the Brave New New NBA look like?  

43 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I am down with this.   I believe if we dont make a move that our draft pick this year will be higher than one in 2021.    I would be stoked if we came out of this draft with Cam Reddish to pair with Jaren.     Having a 6'7'w/7' wingspan SG (Reddish) with a 7ft w/ 7'4' wingspan PF/C (Jaren) and a 6'9' w/7'2wingspan Point Forward to build around!!

I don't care if Reddish is Rudy 2.0 because i think Jaren should be the Alpha anyway.  

51 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I am down with this.   I believe if we dont make a move that our draft pick this year will be higher than one in 2021.    I would be stoked if we came out of this draft with Cam Reddish to pair with Jaren.     Having a 6'7'w/7' wingspan SG (Reddish) with a 7ft w/ 7'4' wingspan PF/C (Jaren) and a 6'9' w/7'2wingspan Point Forward to build around!!

I don't care if Reddish is Rudy 2.0 because i think Jaren should be the Alpha anyway.  

I personally like Zion and RJ way more than Reddish, but I like Cam ability to shoot the ball, Reddish may become like JJJ that play Ok in college and turn to be a steal in Nba level.

But for me its all about Zion, he is the Doncic of this draft.

29 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

I personally like Zion and RJ way more than Reddish, but I like Cam ability to shoot the ball, Reddish may become like JJJ that play Ok in college and turn to be a steal in Nba level.

But for me its all about Zion, he is the Doncic of this draft.

Zion/Doncic might be a cut above everyone else in the past couple of classes and the next few too.  Jaren could get close -- I think it is gonna come down to putting a BIG FOUR around him.  So, at least a couple more guys.  For players you can see fitting in with Jaren, I like this draft board.  Even if a guy like Wiseman might be there next year (although both might be more like Unitweeners than Unicorns).

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Plus Dearron Fox shot 24% from three in college. Its an improvable area for sure.

Gimme De'Andre Hunter.  He can pair with Kyle Anderson on the wing.  At the very least with those two, Jaren inside and Jevon Carter at the 1 you have some really, really good defenders, with 3 of those guys also being long and Jevon Carter being just an absolute pit bull.

You can fill out your young core with alpha-minded "volume" scorers (chuckers?) like Admiral Schofield (IF he doesn't climb up the draft board) and MacMcClung (IF he comes out) with either late first round picks or maybe high second round picks.

BUT, JJJ/Kyle/Hunter/Jevon set the defensive foundation (and can also make plays and rebound).

A similar argument could be made for Cam Reddish in place of Hunter even if Reddish never becomes some dynamic 22 point scorer in the NBA.

Bonus points if we can get a bouncy, shot blocking center with an acquired second round pick. 

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Never draft for a position. Always take the best player available. Use free agency and trades to fill needs. In a small market you only get one real shot at acquiring talent. 

great point

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I'd make two exceptions to that:

(1) don't draft what you already have aced. So this time it would be BPA unless it's a JJJ clone.  If your young ace is a SG or SF it might be OK to have another, but why not aim for versatility? 

(2) if you've committed to high BBIQ or good D, don't draft someone who won't fit in.

Or take BPA but have a draft-day trade lined up. 

9 hours ago, Allen said:

Yeah, I wanted to trade Parsons for John Wall.  What does that have to do with the draft?

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

Plus Dearron Fox shot 24% from three in college. Its an improvable area for sure.

I would agree if his % was improving but it was the same his freshman year.  Which likely means he can't shoot which will change every thing about his game in the NBA as defenders will force him to shoot.  Wouldn't be that much of a big deal if he had a physical advantage for his position.

13 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Can I say again that I LOVE Jordan Poole.

That's a great name. His name could actually help his draft stock. 

Edit: but I would have UT's Jordan Bone winning in a tie breaker. Based on name alone but his game is kinda funky in a good way.