Memphis Maverick

2019 NBA DRAFT

1 hour ago, pjs said:

Draft Ja.  Trade Mike with eye on youth.  Let JV and Jelon walk.  Take our lumps next year & hope we are bad enough for top 6 pick.  Next summer, Parsons, Mike, and JV are all off the books & we can hope to attract some good free agents next summer.

Is that "the plan"?

No we don't want to let JV just "walk". We at least want him back for next year as a tradeable asset and to see how he coexists on the court with JJJ.

We would also like to resign Delon if possible as a solid backup PG for Ja. Now both of those come attached with a certain price ceiling of course.

Everything else should indeed be the plan.

4 hours ago, King Dork said:

Obviously didn’t get the 8 mile reference, lol. But no, he wouldn’t score 20 a game he’d be the 4th option. My point is he’s a legit wing scoring option but once again, I’ll agree to disagree. 

Just like I did when I said trading Rudy for a bag of chips was dumb while everyone on these boards were saying Austin Daye was going to be an adequate Rudy replacement because all Rudy did was score. Funny how he’s working for the Spurs right now. But that’s probably a fluke. 

Actually, I like Rudy a lot more than anything I've seen from Wiggins.  I never advocated trading RG.  He had good and bad points, but he was good in crunch time.  Rudy made shots down the stretch when it counted.  I remember that game winner over LeBron, and the "oh no, it's Rudy Gay!  Not that guy!  Noooo!" moment in Toronto, and he had several others.

18 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Actually, I like Rudy a lot more than anything I've seen from Wiggins.  I never advocated trading RG.  He had good and bad points, but he was good in crunch time.  Rudy made shots down the stretch when it counted.  I remember that game winner over LeBron, and the "oh no, it's Rudy Gay!  Not that guy!  Noooo!" moment in Toronto, and he had several others.

That was against the raptors. Defense, defense, oh no it's roody gay, no not THIS guy, noooo. You ******* *******. rooody gay man.

13 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

That was against the raptors. Defense, defense, oh no it's roody gay, no not THIS guy, noooo. You ******* *******. rooody gay man.

Of couse it was.  Who else would they play in Toronto.

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

That was hilarious!!!  It still makes me laugh today.  

I always thought Toronto should have played that video....with plenty of bleeps....when introducing Rudy after they traded for him.

With a new coach in place, maybe we start moving on the Trade Conley Front (with JV's decision coming up soon, too).

Hopefully we can get some good draft picks back in a Conley trade.

I REALLY want Sekou Doumbouya but I bet he moves up, I think he moves into the top 5 -- I currently have him in my top 3.

I would think we prioritize wing shooting with extra draft picks, since backup bigs can be had into the second round.  My fave wing shooter is probably Dylan Windler, but I could see him moving up.  Kris Wilkes/Aubrey Dawkins/Louis King can probably be had later than mid-first but if we end up with a mid/late first for Conley then we might as well take whoever we want who basically fills a need.  My wildcard would be Jalen Lecque, another freakishly athletic/electric guard who can pass and get to the basket.  Not much of a shooter but he has good size at 6'4 with a 6'9 wingspan.  Morant/Lecque could be a border line unstoppable back court if they could learn to coexist.  

42 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I REALLY want Sekou Doumbouya but I bet he moves up, I think he moves into the top 5 -- I currently have him in my top 3.  

Not gonna happen. Just like your boy Tacko Fall won't be a first round draft pick.

It's almost reckoning time for your big board...

24 minutes ago, Parsons_Refund said:

Check out Ja’s IG story.  Looking good

Back to working out, shooting and dunking - I dig it. Wonder if his shot will change much; he has kind of a low release point on the jumper.

2 hours ago, Parsons_Refund said:

Check out Ja’s IG story.  Looking good

Where is the story? Do you have a link?

Oh, and does anyone know if the new Slam magazine issue is out yet? Ja is on one of the covers (Zion has his own cover this month too).  

4 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Back to working out, shooting and dunking - I dig it. Wonder if his shot will change much; he has kind of a low release point on the jumper.

It’s not his release point it’s that he drops the ball down before rising up into his shot instead of just catching and rising up with the shot. A good shooting coach will fix that

What do you guys think of Terence Davis from Ole Miss?

I saw a couple of their games, thought he was not bad

9 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

What do you guys think of Terence Davis from Ole Miss?

I saw a couple of their games, thought he was not bad

Grizzlies bear blues had a piece on him I like him as a second round pick they say he's flying up the boards. But he's athletic can create his own shot and can shoot. And he'd have a little bit of local flavor coming from South Haven. Maybe if the Grizz could get one of Philly's early seconds we could grab him to be Ja's running mate.

My dream scenario:

Draft Ja at #2. 

Get 14, 20 and Hayward for Conley. 

Draft Grant Williams and Matisse Thybulle with those picks. 

5 minutes ago, jtp0000 said:

My dream scenario:

Draft Ja at #2. 

Get 14, 20 and Hayward for Conley. 

Draft Grant Williams and Matisse Thybulle with those picks. 

At 14 you need to do better than Grant Williams. Rui would be a better option and wing that's left would be better.

I see where you are going with the Thybulle pick but Washington played zone so there's no way to tell if his defense translates to man to man that along with his shaky shooting sounds like Andre Roberson.... I would take a flyer on Darius Bazley in the 20's or try to trade into the top 5 of the second round. Guys like Bruno Fernando, Nic Claxton, Kabengele, could also be good options late 1st early second.

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

I think Keldon Johnson is being overlooked as a mid to late lottery option.

He'd be perfect on a team where he doesn't have to create his own shot. If I had to pick between Keldon, Porter Jr, Romeo, Herro. I think he would be second  behind Romeo.

But at 14 I would want Hachimura no questions asked he has Greek Freak potential written all over him. Not in the sense that he can be a big pg but that his game could grow at a very fast pace and he could become a star. Plus the Grizzlies would corner the Japanese market which is good for business.

13 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

He'd be perfect on a team where he doesn't have to create his own shot. If I had to pick between Keldon, Porter Jr, Romeo, Herro. I think he would be second  behind Romeo.

But at 14 I would want Hachimura no questions asked he has Greek Freak potential written all over him. Not in the sense that he can be a big pg but that his game could grow at a very fast pace and he could become a star. Plus the Grizzlies would corner the Japanese market which is good for business.

Of this lot I like Porter most, just not sure how he'd fit with us

2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

At 14 you need to do better than Grant Williams. Rui would be a better option and wing that's left would be better.

I see where you are going with the Thybulle pick but Washington played zone so there's no way to tell if his defense translates to man to man that along with his shaky shooting sounds like Andre Roberson.... I would take a flyer on Darius Bazley in the 20's or try to trade into the top 5 of the second round. Guys like Bruno Fernando, Nic Claxton, Kabengele, could also be good options late 1st early second.

nbadraft.net currently shows Kabengele going 10th to Atlanta.  I wonder if they made a promise to him or something.  He was in the late twenties two or three weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Of this lot I like Porter most, just not sure how he'd fit with us

Personality wise I think Keldon would fit best with Ja and Jaren and Ja could find him good looks. I have been questioning Porter's personality since the beginning of this process.

Langford doesn't seem to have a personality and Herro I guess could fit but he doesn't offer very much other than shooting.

5 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

nbadraft.net currently shows Kabengele going 10th to Atlanta.  I wonder if they made a promise to him or something.  He was in the late twenties two or three weeks ago.

I hadn't seen anything about promises other than Rui at 11 to Minnesota. 10 is really high for Kabengele but Atlanta has 3 picks so they can afford to swing for the fences if they want to. Kabengele actually reminds me alot of Jaren just a little more physical. He's also Mutombo's nephew or cousin I believe.

2 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Personality wise I think Keldon would fit best with Ja and Jaren and Ja could find him good looks. I have been questioning Porter's personality since the beginning of this process.

Langford doesn't seem to have a personality and Herro I guess could fit but he doesn't offer very much other than shooting.

His shooting is all we need with guys who can get in the lane.  Porter has some nut in him but we need some crazy

2 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

His shooting is all we need with guys who can get in the lane.  Porter has some nut in him but we need some crazy

I'd like to know why he was suspended at USC

Herro and Windler are good shooters. Little/Reddish/Thybulle give you defense and length with some potential on offense. I think Reddish is closer to these guys than Zion/Ja.  KPJ, Bazley, Nic Claxton are a few other guys worth looking into.  

With Jaren and Bruno (and at least a couple of centers on the roster and probably Rabb too) I don't see why we would need Rui.  

Romeo Langford kinda reminds me of Dillon Brooks. Not sure we need TWO of that archetype.  

With Bol Bol being a boom/bust guy but worth a look outside the top 15.  

I don't see Sekou Doumbouya being there past 10.  Probably a pick in the 5-8 range although I guess he could go higher. He looked good in his pro day.

If we wanna play "outside the box" with TWO guards who can pass and get to the basket at will then we should also look at Jalen Lecque.

14 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I hadn't seen anything about promises other than Rui at 11 to Minnesota. 10 is really high for Kabengele but Atlanta has 3 picks so they can afford to swing for the fences if they want to. Kabengele actually reminds me alot of Jaren just a little more physical. He's also Mutombo's nephew or cousin I believe.

He seems fairly athletic for a big too.  Shot the three ball okay in college.  I think he has some potential.