Memphis Maverick

2019 NBA DRAFT

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Are we working out anybody else? Either for the 2nd pick or fringe 2nd round types?

I guess Grizz Co. ain't talking.

Saw we worked out  forward  Jarrell Brantley

12 minutes ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Saw we worked out  forward  Jarrell Brantley

Thanks for the info.  I guess things will pick up soon -- at the very least we have to field an entire summer league roster.

10 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Thanks for the info.  I guess things will pick up soon -- at the very least we have to field an entire summer league roster.

You would expect that we would bring in mid-late first round picks since we should be getting one from a Conley trade 

23 minutes ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

You would expect that we would bring in mid-late first round picks since we should be getting one from a Conley trade 

True

Draft intelligence. Pair this guy with two highly intelligent guys like Ja and JJJ and let them raise each other’s ceilings. 

1 hour ago, jtp0000 said:

Draft intelligence. Pair this guy with two highly intelligent guys like Ja and JJJ and let them raise each other’s ceilings. 

There are a TON of guys I like in this draft --- Grant Williams is good at the right price.  He and Jaren would be good inside together and still allow you to go "small".

Nic Claxton, Darius Bazley, Luka Samanic, and Jalen Lacque all had good combines and look like sleeper picks.  Any team who gets all four of those guys is gonna have a GREAT draft.  Other than that I think Ja and Garland might be worth the top two picks.  Could be an awesome rivalry going forward.  

Some combo of Herro/KPJ/Windler/Little would be nice too.  

The middle of this draft is awesome plus some extra 2nd round sleepers.

I can't get a handle on Sekou Doumbouya.

Grant Williams is slow and unathletic he had trouble in the scrimmages getting his shot off down low. We already had Stokes don't want another one so that a no for me on Grant.

Other than Hachimura, Im really intrigued with Fernando. With all the JV situation, everything points that he will be gone, with Conley out and his wife doesn't liking Memphis.

He looks like a Steven Adams type of player, someone that would be a replacement for Gasol/JV and could be the perfect player to play next to Jaren when we go big. 

Fernando could be a option, if we trade Conley for a late lottery pick or those Celtics in the middle of the 1st. I didnt watch him, anyone has some info on the guy?

1 hour ago, Once_a_hater said:

Other than Hachimura, Im really intrigued with Fernando. With all the JV situation, everything points that he will be gone, with Conley out and his wife doesn't liking Memphis.

He looks like a Steven Adams type of player, someone that would be a replacement for Gasol/JV and could be the perfect player to play next to Jaren when we go big. 

Fernando could be a option, if we trade Conley for a late lottery pick or those Celtics in the middle of the 1st. I didnt watch him, anyone has some info on the guy?

KBM likes Bruno.

He looks good in his highlights and Going Full Bruno might be nice to have with Jaren.  

If we don't go with a shooter or a wing player, Bruno Fernando would offer value outside the top 10.  

There is something to be said for having your big man duo for at least the next decade (hopefully) already in place.  

This is going to be a great draft  and free agency summer.   Lakers, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Boston, Knicks.    For entertainment value I look forward to a Stephen A. Smith rant if the Knicks somehow don't get Anthony Davis, or Keven Durant.

1 minute ago, Joey Crawford said:

This is going to be a great draft  and free agency summer.   Lakers, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Boston, Knicks.    For entertainment value I look forward to a Stephen A. Smith rant if the Knicks somehow don't get Anthony Davis, or Keven Durant.

If the Knicks don't get anybody then Stephen A. Smith is gonna be speechless. Which would be nice.  

1 hour ago, Once_a_hater said:

I liked what I saw in videos of Hachimura, but they were all centered on offense.  There are some questioning his defensive acumen.  If he is not a good defender he may be more suited to a sixthman role.  IDK, I guess the league will find out.

Another prospect I find intriguing is Mfiondu Kabengele.  He's athletic, can block shots, rebound, and shows some potential from behind the arc.  He sounds like an intelligent young man who praised his teammates and coaches in the interview I watched.  I don't think he's a pure scorer like  Hachimura, but he looked good on both ends of the court both inside and out.  Sometimes he seemed to get a little out of control but looked like he has a good motor, and he looked impressive against Duke blocking shots by Zion, Tre Jones, and three times on RJ Barrett.

Luka Samanic has a nice skill set for a big (based on limited highlights/tape I have seen).  

I think I would like to have multiple late first rounders instead of just one mid first round pick.  

This could be a two player draft.  Then a ton of depth after that.  

Also, the so-called BPA might not necessarily be the best player to go with Jaren/Ja.   

I think this is the draft to go after as many future core guys to go with the Jaws combo as possible.  

The default strategy might be to get shooters with length to pair with Jackson and Morant.  Then get utility big men in the 2nd round.  

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

If the Knicks don't get anybody then Stephen A. Smith is gonna be speechless. Which would be nice.  

His rant on the Knicks number 3 lottery pick was priceless. 😂  I have been watching him recently, and he has convinced himself that Kevin Durant is going to sign with the Knicks.  

But like you say if the Knicks don't get anybody - Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Kyrie, and just have the number 3 pick in the draft - yeah, he should be speechless, but I think it isn't going to go that way  😀 (the speechless part).

47 minutes ago, Joey Crawford said:

His rant on the Knicks number 3 lottery pick was priceless. 😂  I have been watching him recently, and he has convinced himself that Kevin Durant is going to sign with the Knicks.  

But like you say if the Knicks don't get anybody - Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Kyrie, and just have the number 3 pick in the draft - yeah, he should be speechless, but I think it isn't going to go that way  😀 (the speechless part).

Oh man, the thundering whining that will eminate from him - THAT will be priceless :lol:

2 hours ago, Joey Crawford said:

I thought all he did was rant, kind of his schtick. 

I started listening to him about a month ago. I got a kick out of him arguing with a pre-recorded caller, but played it off like it was live. So staged...but it entertained me. 

15 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I thought all he did was rant, kind of his schtick. 

I started listening to him about a month ago. I got a kick out of him arguing with a pre-recorded caller, but played it off like it was live. So staged...but it entertained me. 

A pre-recorded caller?   That's pretty lame....😁     For some reason NY fans think everyone wants to come to NY.    LA is just as bad. 

With AD sour on New Orleans, and Kyrie sour on Boston, and LA needing someone to play with LaBron - its going to be really interesting.

8 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Ha ha ha ... That made me laugh.

I couldn't agree more.  His schtick got old real fast.  I can only listen to him in small doses, like 3 seconds at a time.

7 hours ago, Joey Crawford said:

A pre-recorded caller?   That's pretty lame....😁     For some reason NY fans think everyone wants to come to NY.    LA is just as bad. 

With AD sour on New Orleans, and Kyrie sour on Boston, and LA needing someone to play with LaBron - its going to be really interesting.

I swear NY fans do.  The media hypes them up

We are lucky picking in the top 3, because after that all these players have major flaws. I am sure someone outside of the top 3 will pan out but it's so hard to judge and I am not confident our FO will nail the pick. I like Kevin Porter Jr and the kid has great talent but I would be very hesitant to take him without doing a thorough background check to justify making him the pick. I think we may be better off trading for a future pick or a more established young player like a Malik Beasley or Gary Harris.

If we end up with mid first round pick I wonder if it would be worth drafting one of the older guys who you know is going to be a solid role player rather than the high risk guys, someone like Cameron Johnson.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:20 AM, Ndq0327 said:

Grant Williams is slow and unathletic he had trouble in the scrimmages getting his shot off down low. We already had Stokes don't want another one so that a no for me on Grant.

I'm no fan of anything "orange" but Schofield will be an interesting 2nd rounder.  The guy can shoot 3's from any distance.  And nobody is going to kick sand in his face... even as a rookie.  He will be a bargain for somebody.

4 hours ago, bhoyal said:

I'm no fan of anything "orange" but Schofield will be an interesting 2nd rounder.  The guy can shoot 3's from any distance.  And nobody is going to kick sand in his face... even as a rookie.  He will be a bargain for somebody.

I can see the Admiral having a good summer league.  If you draft him late then he could be a great 2-way contract guy.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-nba-draft-deadline-to-withdraw-tracking-who-is-returning-to-school-and-who-is-staying-in-the-draft/

I'm very interested in the Grizzlies getting a high second round pick now. Both Michigan wings stayed in the draft who could possibly be 1st round guys next year had they gone back.