Sign in to follow this  
Memphis Maverick

2019 NBA DRAFT

13 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

My opinion won't be popular and i decided to enjoy the Grizz hot start before jumping into the college guys.  However, my guy is Cam Reddish but he is a risk.  Other guys that fit that mold some: RJ Barrett, Ja Morant, Kevin Porter Jr., Jarrett Culver and Romeo Langford.

I also really like Darius Garland.

This class will take some deep study.

Is Cam Reddish a friendly guy and does he also like Young Dolph?    If he so then sign me up.   He can develop all the other traits. 

21 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

My opinion won't be popular and i decided to enjoy the Grizz hot start before jumping into the college guys.  However, my guy is Cam Reddish but he is a risk.  Other guys that fit that mold some: RJ Barrett, Ja Morant, Kevin Porter Jr., Jarrett Culver and Romeo Langford.

I also really like Darius Garland.

This class will take some deep study.

It will. But with this many wings I think the talent is there. My suggestion when picking outside the top two or three is to avoid the super All American HS types like Cam Reddish.  They have been analyzed to death. You need a guy people are sleeping on. The steals in the mid to late lottery are usually late bloomers. Brandon Roy, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Gordon Hayward, Donovan Mitchell, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George. Guys whose profiles doesnt jump off the page.

I hope they don’t buy Parsons out because our pick plus Parson might give us some breathing room in getting a young vet who can play now.

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

It will. But with this many wings I think the talent is there. My suggestion when picking outside the top two or three is to avoid the super All American HS types like Cam Reddish.  They have been analyzed to death. You need a guy people are sleeping on. The steals in the mid to late lottery are usually late bloomers. Brandon Roy, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Gordon Hayward, Donovan Mitchell, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George. Guys whose profiles doesnt jump off the page.

And this’s the type of players that will excel from this draft. One thing i just don’t want is a guy that  just needs to add shooting. Forget that, i want to draft a plus shooter.

5 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I hope they don’t buy Parsons out because our pick plus Parson might give us some breathing room in getting a young vet who can play now.

That's true but for what purpose? Gasol and Conley are aging, the Warriors seem to be unbeatable. Why not start building around JJJ now and not give up the draft pick? 

I don't want Parsons bought out now. I want him to play, get injured again and retire so he gets all his money and we get the salary remaining back. That is the best alternative right now. I want us to use our pick this year to bring in someone to pair with JJJ (or surrender it if it is out of the top eight) and then build with Anderson, JJJ and the pick for the future. I don't care if Gasol opts out or not. If he does the Grizzlies could become major FA players this summer. If he doesn't they still have a ton of cash and Gasol's money next season. 

A fast rebuild with a new front office is the best hope for the franchise. Let Boston deal with more young players in a bad draft this year. The Grizzlies could even swipe a vet they drop because they don't have enough roster spots available. That would actually be kind of a sweet revenge. 

Polished skill set. Handles, shot  passing, finishing with both hands. Not a jawdropping athlete so maybe he is a guy that stays in Grizzly range.

I think our draft strategy is totally wrong.  The top TWO players in this draft look better than anyone in 2020 and 2021 COMBINED.  Wiseman doesn't look like an awesome fit with Jaren anyway.  And Anthony Edwards has Mayotential -- 6'3 shooting guard who looks 25 (or 35).

Get the pick this year (Reddish or Bol as consolation prizes at 7 or 8???), convey the pick next year -- seriously we have to be THE worst team in the league to GUARANTEE us having a top 4 pick.  Seriously, does NO ONE in the FO think of these things?  THEN we will be off the hook for 2021 aka The G League Protection Act.  I would rather get the third wheel in 2021 than looking for "18 year old prodigy superstar " to pair with Jaren Jackson Jr.

Yeah, and buy some second rounders over the next few years: round out the rotation with these guys.  Get a Euro Stash guy too.

Seriously, does NO ONE in the FO think of these things????

Oh, and I will post my 2019 Big Board just after Chris Wallace posts his 2019 Mock Draft Wish List.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think our draft strategy is totally wrong.  The top TWO players in this draft look better than anyone in 2020 and 2021 COMBINED.  Wiseman doesn't look like an awesome fit with Jaren anyway.  And Anthony Edwards has Mayotential -- 6'3 shooting guard who looks 25 (or 35).

Get the pick this year (Reddish or Bol as consolation prizes at 7 or 8???), convey the pick next year -- seriously we have to be THE worst team in the league to GUARANTEE us having a top 4 pick.  Seriously, does NO ONE in the FO think of these things?  THEN we will be off the hook for 2021 aka The G League Protection Act.  I would rather get the third wheel in 2021 than looking for "18 year old prodigy superstar " to pair with Jaren Jackson Jr.

Yeah, and buy some second rounders over the next few years: round out the rotation with these guys.  Get a Euro Stash guy too.

Seriously, does NO ONE in the FO think of these things????

Oh, and I will post my 2019 Big Board just after Chris Wallace posts his 2019 Mock Draft Wish List.

I don't see how we can make it to the bottom.  We already have 11 more wins than the bottom.  Even if we commit to the tank those scrubs probably wont catch us.  Who are we going to send out there night in and night out that will not produce any wins for the rest of the year?

29 minutes ago, Gradey said:

I don't see how we can make it to the bottom.  We already have 11 more wins than the bottom.  Even if we commit to the tank those scrubs probably wont catch us.  Who are we going to send out there night in and night out that will not produce any wins for the rest of the year?

Beats trying to tank for 2020.  Only top 4 protected so we would have to lose more games than EVERYONE ELSE to be assured of keeping our pick.

If we are going to tank -- do it now. Do it soon.  Then we get rid of the pick in 2020 and we get to keep our pick in 2021 (great draft to complete a Big 3).

Supposedly the lottery odds are flatter this year.  This draft has 1 and 1a with Zion and RJ.  Even if we are only in the 6-8 range we could have our choice of some one and doners like Cam Reddish, Romeo Langford, or Bol Bol.  It also allows us to move on from Marc-Mike.  

I just made an internal mock draft of the 2019-2021 classes (combined).  I kinda don't like 2020.  Weaker at the top (and depth) than 2019 with 2021 looking promising again.  

Ideally, we take a shot at Zion/RJ this year, which also allows us to move some pieces.  Maybe make one more run with Mike/Marc next year IF Marc opts in.  Then after next season Parsons is gone, we either keep Marc on the cheap or let him go, move Mike Conley, and go into the 2021 draft with a good pick.  

To hedge, I would try to buy back some 2nd rounders, for both this year and next and keep our 2021 2nd rounder no matter what (although the 2021 draft is about to get overrated entirely -- handful of top prospects as usual but more of a G League Protection Act more than anything.  OR, maybe it just means that the 2022 draft will be the worst draft of all time).

6 minutes ago, BHZMAFIA said:

I'm really like Culver's game. Seems to be a 3 level scorer. 

I am seeing that phrase now looking at potential talent in both 2019 and 2020 as well as 2021.  What does it mean?  Inside, outside, WAAAY outside?

Personally, I want to go into the 2021 draft with a great pick, only needing a third wheel behind Jaren/2019 top 8 pick, and WITHOUT Mike, Marc, Parsons, or any other vets on bad contracts.  Oh, and I am assuming we don't fritter away our 2021 on some junk/ filler/10th man types.

12 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I am seeing that phrase now looking at potential talent in both 2019 and 2020 as well as 2021.  What does it mean?  Inside, outside, WAAAY outside?

Personally, I want to go into the 2021 draft with a great pick, only needing a third wheel behind Jaren/2019 top 8 pick, and WITHOUT Mike, Marc, Parsons, or any other vets on bad contracts.  Oh, and I am assuming we don't fritter away our 2021 on some junk/ filler/10th man types.

Being able to shoot the 3 ball, midrange and attack the rim. Those type of guys have a higher chance at being offensive stars in the league. 

22 minutes ago, BHZMAFIA said:

Being able to shoot the 3 ball, midrange and attack the rim. Those type of guys have a higher chance at being offensive stars in the league. 

Ok.  I recently heard that players who can handle the ball at an elite level (or at least for their position) have a great shot at being stars.  On the flip side, limited ball handling skills greatly limits a player's upside.  

1 hour ago, BHZMAFIA said:

I'm really like Culver's game. Seems to be a 3 level scorer. 

I agree. Nickeil Walker Alexander and Kevin Porter have that potential too. Avoid Keldon Johnson. Looks one dimensional.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:31 PM, ALT GRIND said:

Ok.  I recently heard that players who can handle the ball at an elite level (or at least for their position) have a great shot at being stars.  On the flip side, limited ball handling skills greatly limits a player's upside.  

Very true. Mediocre ball handling is the one thing that held Rudy Gay back from being the superstar we all thought he could be.

And I think it's the type of thing (for US-born players) where if you don't have it by the time you're drafted, that ain't going to change.

I don’t know much about this draft, didn’t entertain the idea we would be looking at a pick in the draft. I know Williamson is the consensus #1 and Barrett is the #2. The next tier would probably be Reddish and Morant. After these four, I think the talent level drops somewhat, and there are Porter, Little and Langford. I would feel a lot better selecting in the top 4 than the 5-8 range.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:34 AM, chipc3 said:

That's true but for what purpose? Gasol and Conley are aging, the Warriors seem to be unbeatable. Why not start building around JJJ now and not give up the draft pick? 

I don't want Parsons bought out now. I want him to play, get injured again and retire so he gets all his money and we get the salary remaining back. That is the best alternative right now. I want us to use our pick this year to bring in someone to pair with JJJ (or surrender it if it is out of the top eight) and then build with Anderson, JJJ and the pick for the future. I don't care if Gasol opts out or not. If he does the Grizzlies could become major FA players this summer. If he doesn't they still have a ton of cash and Gasol's money next season. 

Hmmm...not that long ago you didn't want Parsons to play.  

How has your belief in Wallace changed over the last couple weeks that you now would have been OK with Parsons playing?

10 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Hmmm...not that long ago you didn't want Parsons to play.  

How has your belief in Wallace changed over the last couple weeks that you now would have been OK with Parsons playing?

As I said

I don't want Parsons bought out now. I want him to play, get injured again and retire so he gets all his money and we get the salary remaining back. That is the best alternative right now. I want us to use our pick this year to bring in someone to pair with JJJ (or surrender it if it is out of the top eight) and then build with Anderson, JJJ and the pick for the future. I don't care if Gasol opts out or not. If he does the Grizzlies could become major FA players this summer. If he doesn't they still have a ton of cash and Gasol's money next season. 

I don't remember ever saying the Grizzlies shouldn't play Parsons but if you can find where I did then I will say I was wrong then. 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:30 AM, Grizball said:

I don’t know much about this draft, didn’t entertain the idea we would be looking at a pick in the draft. I know Williamson is the consensus #1 and Barrett is the #2. The next tier would probably be Reddish and Morant. After these four, I think the talent level drops somewhat, and there are Porter, Little and Langford. I would feel a lot better selecting in the top 4 than the 5-8 range.

Little should not even be a consideration for us.  

Williamson, RJ, Reddish, Morant, Culver, Porter, Langford, Garland.   These are 8 guys I would feel comfortable adding to JJJ and Kyle.  

In order right now:

1. Williamson

2. RJ

3. Reddish

4. Culver

5. Garland

6. Morant

7. Langford

8. Porter

3 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Williamson, RJ, Reddish, Morant, Culver, Porter, Langford, Garland.   These are 8 guys I would feel comfortable adding to JJJ and Kyle.  

In order right now:

1. Williamson

2. RJ

3. Reddish

4. Culver

5. Garland

6. Morant

7. Langford

8. Porter

This is why i am not opposed to keeping our pick this year.   Just grab us the one that can actually dribble and shot isn't broken. 

We need a dynamic SG in the worse way, RIGHT NOW.  I don't want to wait two more years then hope whoever we get actually does develop.    Get the SG in right now and let him play a couple of seasons with Mike to alleviate the pressure (Hopefully Gasol gone to chase a ring).  The sooner Jaren gets a young running mate the better.   Jaren + Kyle + #8 should be the foundation going forward. 

21 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

In order right now:

1. Williamson

2. RJ

3. Reddish

4. Culver

5. Garland

6. Morant

7. Langford

8. Porter

We must have lucky this lottery, this is the year. If we get the first pick we change this franchise, Zion is a superstar, this last draft was great, but none of the prospects are in the Zion category and I dont see in the next 2 other either.

33 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

We must have lucky this lottery, this is the year. If we get the first pick we change this franchise, Zion is a superstar, this last draft was great, but none of the prospects are in the Zion category and I dont see in the next 2 other either.

And for a tag team partner for Jaren, Zion looks ideal. 

Consolation prizes such as Reddish or even DeAndre Hunter would help on the wing and with defense.  

If we nail the pick this year it puts less pressure on us having to make a decision between trying to keep our pick AGAIN in 2020 or going all out to keep our 2021 pick.  The only thing I can tell about 2021: should be known as the G League Protection Act.  Although Evan Mobley looked fantastic the other night. Past that, Terrence Clarke looks interesting.  Although I think he is a 2022 draft prospect but he DOES look a little bit like MJ.

I would rather try to get option 1 or 1a to pair with Jaren then use 2020 to try to steal some 2nd rounders from a team, then get our last "core" guy in 2021.

And... we have ONE Core guy: Jaren.  If our best option is Reddish or DeAndre Hunter get them. Or Morant. There are worse things than moving Kyle Anderson down the depth chart and going with a hard-nosed bench mob of Jevon, Dillon, Kyle, and Rabb.  

Jam might be the guy we use to get a couple of 2nd rounders for the next 3 or 4 years.  

Oh, I am still waiting for CW's 2020 big board. If I post my Mother of All 2019-2022 Big Boards FIRST then Wallace owes me dinner.