Memphis Maverick

2019 NBA DRAFT

19 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

The draft is weak unfortunately,  but I do think it's some serviceable wings that we can pick up. We have to pick up players from somewhere and the draft is the easiest place. 

That is true. Of course it is also true that we have to give Boston a pick at some point and this draft has at best serviceable players. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

That is true. Of course it is also true that we have to give Boston a pick at some point and this draft has at best serviceable players. 

We no longer have any control over if we keep or convey at this point.  If we keep,  well likely get a serviceable wing,  if we convey,  Boston will get one.  If we trade Conley well only be eligible for 2020 draft picks right? 

11 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

We no longer have any control over if we keep or convey at this point.  If we keep,  well likely get a serviceable wing,  if we convey,  Boston will get one.  If we trade Conley well only be eligible for 2020 draft picks right? 

Technically yes but practically no. Teams can agree "in orinciple" on trades before the draft that can't be consumated until after free agency begins.

Remember when the Grizzlies "drafted" Pau Gasol? They didn't finalize the trade until July but everyone knew the Grizzlies were getting the #3 pick (Pau) and Jayson Williams for Sharif Abdur-Rahim. They also got another pick which they traded to Indiana (Jamal Tinsley). Technically Atlanta drafted Pau not the Grizzlies but the end effect was that the Grizzlies drafted Pau and Shane Battier that started the team's development into the first playoff team. 

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

I would take Barrett over convey but other than that, I agree. 

Me too. Imo Barrett is an alpha that is going to work himself into an all star. I get the Wiggins comparison but RJ has more dog in him than that cat.

Good breakdown Chip.

17 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Me too. Imo Barrett is an alpha that is going to work himself into an all star. I get the Wiggins comparison but RJ has more dog in him than that cat.

Good breakdown Chip.

Yea RJ isn't anything like Wiggins.   If anything i'd like to get him because i am sure he will have a chip on his shoulder and want to show up Zion.  He has the tools and alpha mentality that are prerequisite to develop into Primary scorer. 

46 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Technically yes but practically no. Teams can agree "in orinciple" on trades before the draft that can't be consumated until after free agency begins.

Remember when the Grizzlies "drafted" Pau Gasol? They didn't finalize the trade until July but everyone knew the Grizzlies were getting the #3 pick (Pau) and Jayson Williams for Sharif Abdur-Rahim. They also got another pick which they traded to Indiana (Jamal Tinsley). Technically Atlanta drafted Pau not the Grizzlies but the end effect was that the Grizzlies drafted Pau and Shane Battier that started the team's development into the first playoff team. 

Oh ok, thanks bro

9 minutes ago, Arkm110 said:

If we don’t move up into the Zion, Ja, RJ range, I want Hunter. He’s NBA ready and I see some Kawhi similarities 

I like Hunter a lot. Just imagine if either Bruno Caboclo or Hunter can play the 2.

Yep i want to keep the pick. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-draft-meet-sekou-doumbouya-the-possible-lottery-pick-expected-to-be-the-first-international-player-drafted/

"The kid is growing, probably going to stand at 6-9, 6-10 in a few months, and he's the perfect NBA player who can play the 2, the 3, the 4," said his agent Bouna Ndiaye, who has been involved with the drafting of a bevvy of talented prospects ranging from Nicolas Batum to Rudy Gobert, Evan Fournier to Clint Capela -- the list goes on.

"This is probably the most exciting player I have ever gotten into my hands," Ndiaye said.

Doumbouya is no ordinary teenager. His schedule is as grueling as that of a CEO, his work ethic unmatched, and his raw potential and talent to boot makes him one of the most unique players to come out of France in years.

"I like guys who are versatile and can do a lot of different things, someone who fits modern day basketball," said Milling, who recruited Doumbouya to play for Limoges CSP. "Does he really have a position? These days, a lot of guys can play multiple positions. Sekou is very raw, but he can defend 1, 2, 3 and 4, he can play the 3, play the 4. He can do a lot of different things."

Doumbouya learned his esteemed habits at an early age. At 15-and-a-half he was placed into the professional ranks where he battled men, some in their 30s, who have been earning their living playing ball for years. There was a learning curve. Expecting Doumbouya to dominate a league before he could legally drive a car without supervision was never realistic. But as he grew physically, so too did he mentally. He asked questions, sought clarity, worked hard, and put himself in position to succeed at every turn.

I like guys that have a tremendous motor AND work ethic.   He also has been playing in a professional league since he was 15 (shades of Luka).   Doumbouya could be the answer for us at the 3 or 4 and downshift Jaren to the 5.    I want to stay in this draft and potentially get an extra pick via Mike trade.    I don't want to give BOS a lottery pick don't care if its a weak draft or not.      Worst case scenario we stay at 8 and are choosing between Sekou, Coby, and DeAndre.   All 3 solve problems for us.   Time to add talent.  

I'm big on Hunter 

18 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I like Hunter a lot. Just imagine if either Bruno Caboclo or Hunter can play the 2.

He's a very solid all around player,  and a superb defender. He'll be able to defend almost every position so I don't see him playing the 2 to be a problem.  

If we are reaching on potential guys then I'd take Bol over Sekou....Hunter and White are still the top two options at 8 though

2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I'm big on Hunter 

He's a very solid all around player,  and a superb defender. He'll be able to defend almost every position so I don't see him playing the 2 to be a problem.  

Then we could go BIG while everyone else is still "small" although I think teams are getting "bigger" anyway.  

If 2-4 is Hunter, Bruno, Jaren, then those guys are definitely guarding everybody, helping from the weak side, and rebounding, but none of those 3 are good enough to be a secondary ball handler to Mike (or Delon or whoever).  Other than that they can all score some and shoot a bit (with Bruno being streakier).

Those 3 would definitely give us an identity (along with Slo Mo and Jevon plus whichever of the other guys we keep longer term).

I know nothing about this Sekou guy but France is the only European country that develops players correctly. Let's do it. 

2013 was a weak draft so Milwaukee swing for the fences at pick #15 and got Giannis.

This is my current big board of who I would take:

1. Zion

2. Barrett

3. Ja

4. Hunter

5. Doumbouya

6. Culver

7. Hachimura

8. Garland

On 4/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, chipc3 said:

Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking, but you threw me with that "Jayson Williams", whose career was over after shooting his chauffer before the Grizzlies ever moved to Memphis.  We traded Mike Bibby for Jason Williams from Sacramento.  I think Lorenzen Wright may have been the other player we received in the Pau Gasol draft night trade as he was with Atlanta the prior season.

I need a guy that can put it in the hole. This is the most sacred piece these days. Im not saying most important but it maybe the hardest to find. My guys are

1/2. Zion or Ja

3. Barrett

4. White

5. Garland

6. Hunter

7. Reddish (not really a fan but has upside)

8. Langford (not really a fan again but he fits the profile).

Its gotta be somebody who can score off the dribble. A must.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking, but you threw me with that "Jayson Williams", whose career was over after shooting his chauffer before the Grizzlies ever moved to Memphis.  We traded Mike Bibby for Jason Williams from Sacramento.  I think Lorenzen Wright may have been the other player we received in the Pau Gasol draft night trade as he was with Atlanta the prior season.

You’re correct 

I hope the grizzlies get either #1 overall, or #4 overall or stay at eight.

#1 overall, the grizzlies would draft Zion.

#4 overall, they would avoid the other duke pitfalls and Ja, and draft Hunter or Garland.

#8 overall, they could find gold with Alex-Walker or Bruno Fernando. Alex-Walker is the best shooter in this draft and is being criminally overlooked.  

11 hours ago, Dwash said:

I need a guy that can put it in the hole. This is the most sacred piece these days. Im not saying most important but it maybe the hardest to find. My guys are

1/2. Zion or Ja

3. Barrett

4. White

5. Garland

6. Hunter

7. Reddish (not really a fan but has upside)

8. Langford (not really a fan again but he fits the profile).

Its gotta be somebody who can score off the dribble. A must.

Dribble, pass, shoot...I do not want any guy that needs to learn those things right now. 

1. Zion

2. Ja

3. RJ

4. Garland

5. White

6. Bol Bol

These are the guys I want.  If we are 8 I am sure two of Culver/Hunter/Hayes/Reddish/Clarke/Doumbouya will get taken in the top 7 and leave one of my top 6 guys on the board.

2 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Dribble, pass, shoot...I do not want any guy that needs to learn those things right now. 

1. Zion

2. Ja

3. RJ

4. Garland

5. White

6. Bol Bol

These are the guys I want.  If we are 8 I am sure two of Culver/Hunter/Hayes/Reddish/Clarke/Doumbouya will get taken in the top 7 and leave one of my top 6 guys on the board.

I'm on the Alex-Walker train. The guy is being criminally overlooked. Best 3 point shooter, long arms and gets into passing lanes. All he needs to do is get in the weight room and he could be a beast.