Memphis Maverick

2019 NBA DRAFT

9 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

If the top 3 is Zion, Ja, and RJ then 4-7 could very well be Garland, Coby, Hunter, and Reddish.  Bol might replace Reddish if Bol shows out well and if Reddish is just as polarizing as always.

I think Culver goes Top 5 but if he doesn’t would make a good choice at 8 too.

1 minute ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I think Culver goes Top 5 but if he doesn’t would make a good choice at 8.

I think Zion is going first but if he doesn’t he would make a great choice at 8. 

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think Zion is going first but if he doesn’t he would make a great choice at 8. 

Well played.

My point to Alt Grind was the talent between the 4 and 8 holes seem pretty similar.

The pecking order after Zion, Ja and RJ is  not very clear. Imo we want to be Top 3 or convey in a perfect world unless they’re in love with one of the above players.

So we either go Top4, Convey or pick 8th.      Top 3 consensus is Zion - Ja - RJ.   I am super excited about getting any one of those guys.    Convey means we become heavily dependent on Conley trade to recoup young talent.   Pick 8 and most likely choosing between Coby, DeAndre, Garland, or Reddish.   I can talk myself into any of them as well.   

Of course best case scenario is Top 3 pick.   As all of those guys solve a huge problem for us.   

Delon + Avery + Zion + Jaren + Jonas    or   Delon + Avery + RJ + Jaren + Jonas  or Ja + Avery + Bruno + Jaren + Jonas.     Fun teams to watch no matter what the record and immediately have upside as a whole. 

One thing i am curious about is.  How would Jaren handle being down shifted to second fiddle if we luck up and draft Zion?    I am just curious because of how Jaren has been handed the keys so early in his career.    Is he mature enough to handle the shift?    

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So we either go Top4, Convey or pick 8th.      Top 3 consensus is Zion - Ja - RJ.   I am super excited about getting any one of those guys.    Convey means we become heavily dependent on Conley trade to recoup young talent.   Pick 8 and most likely choosing between Coby, DeAndre, Garland, or Reddish.   I can talk myself into any of them as well.   

Of course best case scenario is Top 3 pick.   As all of those guys solve a huge problem for us.   

Delon + Avery + Zion + Jaren + Jonas    or   Delon + Avery + RJ + Jaren + Jonas  or Ja + Avery + Bruno + Jaren + Jonas.     Fun teams to watch no matter what the record and immediately have upside as a whole. 

One thing i am curious about is.  How would Jaren handle being down shifted to second fiddle if we luck up and draft Zion?    I am just curious because of how Jaren has been handed the keys so early in his career.    Is he mature enough to handle the shift?    

How and when did Jaren get handed the keys?  Depending on who is on the roster next season he may be 3rd option (not saying that would be good).  I think you're engaging in wild speculation again.

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Jaren doesn't strike me as a go to player honestly I think he'd be perfectly fine being second fiddle to a more dominant scorer 

I don't really like the idea of drafting RJB he seems to be the type that needs alot of shots to get his points and isn't very efficient. He didn't do the best job at being the go to guy when Zion was out for Duke....reminds me alot of Wiggans

Im really excited with the possibility of having Zion, Ja or Culver. Im not that high on RJ anymore.

Did we end with the 8th pick or we are the 9th prior the lottery?

17 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

Im really excited with the possibility of having Zion, Ja or Culver. Im not that high on RJ anymore.

Did we end with the 8th pick or we are the 9th prior the lottery?

Why Culver?  He didn't have that good of a tournament and was thoroughly outplayed by Hunter when it mattered.

Zion and Ja are obvious picks. After them I would take Hunter, White or Bol Bol....after that tier of players then I'm considering upper class men sure we don't get as many years with them to grow but they should help the rebuild move faster if they are talented Cam Johnson is number one on that list of players

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why Culver?  He didn't have that good of a tournament and was thoroughly outplayed by Hunter when it mattered.

He had a bad tournament but I like the kid, better than RJ. If we stay at 8th Bol Bol and Garland might be the picks. You take a risk based on healthy problems but get a better talent than what you would at 8th.

3 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I don't really like the idea of drafting RJB he seems to be the type that needs alot of shots to get his points and isn't very efficient. He didn't do the best job at being the go to guy when Zion was out for Duke....reminds me alot of Wiggans

I think a team would have to try out RJ Barrett at point not guard.  He has the most value as a big point guard who can get to the line and rebound.  Then you can have him run pick and rolls or pick and pops.  

Like, I don't think a Collin Sexton/RJ Barrett backcourt would really work.  

Although if Memphis drafted Barrett you can trade Conley and go with a Delon/RJ backcourt with RJ handling most of the creating load.  On the downside: it could be too much like the RJ/Tre Jones situation at Duke and that didn't really work out in the end.  

Jaren adds value as a low usage all-around defender, weak side shot blocker, secondary rebounder, and floor spacer on offense.  Or, the guy you throw it to in the post when the shot clock is winding down.  What's weird though is that Jaren offers a ton of value as a binge scored every now and then -- with scoring and shot making abilties of a Bird, a Jordan, or a Durant.   Ball skills/Euro step/simple passing might be the key to unlocking Jaren's "potential".

My outlook of the best outcomes from the lottery:

1) Win the top pick (6%)
2) Win the 2nd pick (6.3%)
3) Convey (39.2%)
4) Win 3rd pick (6.7%)
5) Win the 4th pick (7.2%)
6) Pick 8th (34.5%)

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

1) Win the top pick (6%)
3) Convey (39.2%)
4) Win 3rd pick (6.7%)
6) Pick 8th (34.5%)

You don't value this draft outside of Zion and JA. You're chasing stars which is understandable but the team also needs role players to put around those stars. The team only gets two chances between now and 2021. And I just don't see them being willing to tank for two straight years. It's possible that this might be the highest pick they get out of those three chances. So you are willing to give up 8th for the possibility that they will be bad enough without tanking to get top 5 picks for the next two seasons. That's really risky

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

You don't value this draft outside of Zion and JA. You're chasing stars which is understandable but the team also needs role players to put around those stars. The team only gets two chances between now and 2021. And I just don't see them being willing to tank for two straight years. It's possible that this might be the highest pick they get out of those three chances. So you are willing to give up 8th for the possibility that they will be bad enough without tanking to get top 5 picks for the next two seasons. That's really risky

I agree but in my opinion the other players aren't stars I want to build around. I'd prefer to have Avery Bradley back and not pay a potential bust millions of dollars. Also, as a season ticket holder I don't want to see Conley traded unless the team is conveying the pick and I believe Conley wants to be traded. 

But again that is my opinion. You are free to post a contrary opinion. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I agree but in my opinion the other players aren't stars I want to build around. I'd prefer to have Avery Bradley back and not pay a potential bust millions of dollars. Also, as a season ticket holder I don't want to see Conley traded unless the team is conveying the pick and I believe Conley wants to be traded. 

But again that is my opinion. You are free to post a contrary opinion. 

So you think they need Conley and Avery Bradley to convey the pick next year? I think that just pushes the rebuild back cause neither of them are in the teams long term plans 

5 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

So you think they need Conley and Avery Bradley to convey the pick next year? I think that just pushes the rebuild back cause neither of them are in the teams long term plans 

I don't think they "need" both to convey but I believe if the team doesn't convey this season I don't want to give Boston a lottery pick next year or the year afterwards. 

I have told you my opinion on what I want from the lottery. What do you want? 

8 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Well 7th place was just as good as 9th place this year so its possible.

Im not trying to change anyone's mind on how things should go with this team just trying to understand the other side since it's so vastly different from my opinion and see if there is a middle ground. Cause it seems we all want the same thing which is a fresh start and an understood direction for the team, we just have different opinions on how they should get to that point.

I don't think Conley needs to play here another season convey or not convey cause to me getting something of value for him is more important than possibly giving Boston a lottery pick. The Avery Bradley idea wasn't even on my mind I thought he would be traded or waived or whatever cause he doesn't fit into any future plans, his contract is not guaranteed and he's hurt most of the time now anyway so relying on him didn't make much sense to me. As far as bringing people back is concerned JV and Delon were the only important ones

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

1) Win the top pick (6%)
3) Convey (39.2%)
4) Win 3rd pick (6.7%)
6) Pick 8th (34.5%)

Once again this is "MY" outlook of the best outcomes.

It is my opinion. I am not impressed enough with any of the players being mentioned as possibilities for picks 3-9 and would prefer to get out of the debt of a future first round pick sooner rather than later. I don't want the shadow of owing Boston a future first round pick to deter the team from getting value in a trade for Conley this summer (although emotionally I would prefer Conley to remain a Grizz his entire career). 

It is just my opinion. If you anyone has a different opinion I would love to hear it involving the outcome of the lottery.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

It is my opinion. I am not impressed enough with any of the players being mentioned as possibilities for picks 3-9 and would prefer to get out of the debt of a future first round pick sooner rather than later. I don't want the shadow of owing Boston a future first round pick to deter the team from getting value in a trade for Conley this summer (although emotionally I would prefer Conley to remain a Grizz his entire career). 

It is just my opinion. If you anyone has a different opinion I would love to hear it involving the outcome of the lottery.

I would take Barrett over convey but other than that, I agree. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I have disagreed with the desire to accelerate extinguishing the pick obligation.  I think we need young talent now.  We don't know how the composition of the league will be next year or in two years.

I understand both sides though and don't blame anyone for wanting to get it out of the way. Especially since we can deal Conley for a draft pick to make up for the hit.

1 minute ago, MemphisX said:

I have disagreed with the desire to accelerate extinguishing the pick obligation.  I think we need young talent now.  We don't know how the composition of the league will be next year or in two years.

I understand both sides though and don't blame anyone for wanting to get it out of the way. Especially since we can deal Conley for a draft pick to make up for the hit.

So what is your breakdown of what you want from the lottery outcome? Is it as simple as #1, #2, #3, #4, # 8 and finally convey?