Memphis Maverick

2019 NBA DRAFT

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, Memphis Maverick said:

Martin just scored 23 against 11th ranked houston and almost brought them back after a wack first half. 

I’be watched about all I can on Garland. I see no long term future for him in the league but I do for Martin. 

I think the real reason Garland didn’t play again is because he was going to be exposed. 

I take it you're a Tiger fan?

Deandre Hunter should be within our range, great length, unbelievable defender (potential all nba level ), this gives us a lot of versatility on the defensive end, and he can knock down open threes, just not a offensive creator, which we can get in the coming drafts or address in FA once the Parsons contract ends.

9 hours ago, Wray2368 said:

Deandre Hunter should be within our range, great length, unbelievable defender (potential all nba level ), this gives us a lot of versatility on the defensive end, and he can knock down open threes, just not a offensive creator, which we can get in the coming drafts or address in FA once the Parsons contract ends.

Hunter looks like a superstar his body doesn't even look close to filled out yet and he is already looking like a man among boys.

I was on Bruno Fernando for a minute, but he has fallen back for me lately. So yeah, if Hunter is available I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I still think Alex-Walker is the best shooter in draft and better than Culver, and that Garland is the best player overall. But Hunter is right up there for me, and I am not sure if he doesn't break the top 5, despite his ranking in mocks. He is going to get some serious looks.

The foreign guy would be my wildcard, if catastrophe happens. I would not mind drafting him. Sekou Doumbouya

I find the ESPN mock as the most reasonable in terms of the top-8 range we likely gonna fall within. 

Zion, Barret, Morant, Garland, Hunter, Reddish, Culver, Langford.

I don`t see any bust among them so it is safe to say I am ok with any of them. 

5 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

I find the ESPN mock as the most reasonable in terms of the top-8 range we likely gonna fall within. 

Zion, Barret, Morant, Garland, Hunter, Reddish, Culver, Langford.

I don`t see any bust among them so it is safe to say I am ok with any of them. 

They have us with Reddish, right?    I wouldn't be disappointed by that.   

12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

They have us with Reddish, right?    I wouldn't be disappointed by that.   

The point is that this draft offers us players in four levels:

Tier 1: Zion

Tier 2: Barret, Morant

Tier 3: Reddish, Hunter, Culver, Garland, Langford

Tier 4: the others

I think Reddish has bust potential,  he has great size, but his shooting percentage is not very good for a “shooter” and there is ample opportunity for open looks due to RJ and Zion loving to do their work inside. 

3 minutes ago, Wray2368 said:

I think Reddish has bust potential,  he has great size, but his shooting percentage is not very good for a “shooter” and there is ample opportunity for open looks due to RJ and Zion loving to do their work inside. 

My concern is about his character only. His shooting mechanic doesn`t look broken to me to raise the red flag. 

4 minutes ago, Wray2368 said:

Both Cam and RJ might be over-rated, especially if Cam can't play the 2 and RJ can't play point guard.  

Cam Reddish wouldn't really have a size/strength/length advantage at the 3....

Outside of Zion, Tre Jones might be my favorite "value pick" from Duke.  Outside the top 10 I think he is the player with the most value.  ... especially if he learns to shoot -- even just a solid percentage on spot-up 3's a la John Paxson or Derek Fisher.

I think I still like RJ Barrett at 2 -- but you have to give him the ball.  He's a high usage volume scorer who can also get you rebounds and assists.

Not sure Reddish is better than some other wings, if he is the best guy on the board I think I am trading down.

The top 5 might be Zion, RJ/Ja toss-up at 2/3, with Culver and Hunter rounding out the top 5.  Then you have the boom/bust lightning round from 6 to basically 20.  If we do a trade down I would look at Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro, Nassir Little (if he falls), Brandon Clarke, Tre Jones, Kevin Porter, Jr., Admiral Schofield, and Grant Williams.  

If we end up at 7 or 8 would anyone want to trade down to 14 and 18 (Boston picks)?  I think I would rather go after TWO wing players than ONE wing player although a wing player in the 7-8 range may be more highly touted.

17 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

If we end up at 7 or 8 would anyone want to trade down to 14 and 18 (Boston picks)?  I think I would rather go after TWO wing players than ONE wing player although a wing player in the 7-8 range may be more highly touted.

I would rather trade away the pick and get a pick in a future draft honestly. Boston has shown an unique ability to get high value in drafts so I wouldn't trade down with them to get two players in a bad draft. In fact I'd rather force Boston to both of those picks because it creates a logjam on their roster and maybe they will release or trade us a better player simply to create room on their roster. 

On 3/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, Wray2368 said:

That would give us a GREAT defensive foundation along with Jaren Jackson, Jr. (and Jevon Carter in spot minutes.  Bruno?).  

In that case, I wouldn't move off Conley unless we get a lot back.

8 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

That would give us a GREAT defensive foundation along with Jaren Jackson, Jr. (and Jevon Carter in spot minutes.  Bruno?).  

In that case, I wouldn't move off Conley unless we get a lot back.

One thing that made Golden State so dangerous was their versatility in defending ex Klay Thompson, Iguadola , Draymond.  You can see the same with the Bucks, If Jaren and some of these guys can pick up a consistent outside shot we are just a solid creative playmaker away from getting back where we need to be.  I really like the White kid from North Carolina if we could trade back and land him and another pick that would be awesome too, he has an NBA ready body and I am in ACC country he is incredibly clutch and has taken over several games.

5 hours ago, Wray2368 said:

One thing that made Golden State so dangerous was their versatility in defending ex Klay Thompson, Iguadola , Draymond.  You can see the same with the Bucks, If Jaren and some of these guys can pick up a consistent outside shot we are just a solid creative playmaker away from getting back where we need to be.  I really like the White kid from North Carolina if we could trade back and land him and another pick that would be awesome too, he has an NBA ready body and I am in ACC country he is incredibly clutch and has taken over several games.

Very true!  

I think good teams need balance.  

Going "defense first" in the draft could work -- with the Freakish Zion possibly having the highest "upside" on defense of anyone in the draft.  If we do that though we gotta keep Conley and Jonas -- two guys who can score.

On 3/19/2019 at 1:30 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

The foreign guy would be my wildcard, if catastrophe happens. I would not mind drafting him. Sekou Doumbouya

Doumbouya is a very interesting prospect but he is also very raw, still in his first year in the French pro league and with just OK production. I wouldn't mind picking him and let him stay a year or two more in Europe, I suspect if we bring him in next season he'll be lost in the woods.

Tacko Fall did Tacko Fall things to VCU. If Tacko Fall does Tacko Fall things to Zion and Duke then he should be picked in the 2nd round (at least).  

I'm staying on Tackomania Island ok?

On 3/21/2019 at 6:15 PM, Dwash said:

Ja 

Morant

Nah “he’s overrated”, “he scares me”, “he’s a hard pass”.....

We sho have some geniuses on this board.

So do we like Coby White? I haven't looked much into draft prospects this year but this kids looks like he can be a good scorer 

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

So do we like Coby White? I haven't looked much into draft prospects this year but this kids looks like he can be a good scorer 

He's looking good today.  Looks like an option in the 5-8 range.  Maybe higher?

If we end up at 6-8 range then go ahead and get Coby White.    He has high level scorer potential and a backcourt of Coby + Delon with Jaren at the 5 would give us ridiculous speed. 

He can score from anywhere on the court has size to play either backcourt position.   At the very least he can be Jamaal Murray type if not better.  

So I don't watch college BB except the tournament.

Does anyone know anything about this Terrance Mann kid from FSU?  He looked really good against Murray State.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:28 PM, Ndq0327 said:

He is a bust plain and simple