Kevin B Moses

Going all-in on guards draft (maybe this is the way to go?)

I have been looking at how the rockets are basically a three guard team with defense and I'm starting to wonder if the grizzlies should invest in more guards.

The grizzlies have deyonta davis, rabb and marc. they have a sf in dillion brooks, they have a pf in martin and jam.

The grizzlies could take trae young. OR, the option I would want. Make a trade with la or phoenix and go after Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Hamidou Diallo.

The one area that the grizzlies really don't have covered, nor have they ever had covered, is athletic/mismached potential at the guard position.

I do think that davis-rabb compliment each other. I think dillion is a good small-ball sf.

Alexander is moving up my draft board quick, however. Between young and alexander, it is almost a wash for me. But I would hope that the grizzlies would consider moving down if possible to get Alexander.

my top 5.

1. bamba

2. bagley

3. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

4. Trae Young

5. Miles Bridges

i'm kinda of slipping on the trae young bandwagon mainly because as you mentioned we need guards. we got several serviceable bign's.   i don't seriously expect him to be the next steph curry but i think his game is electrifying and has a place in the nba. he can definitely dish.   just my two cents.  

I would be 100% ok with Colin Sexton at # 2

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

I would be 100% ok with Colin Sexton at # 2

No way. 

6 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Make a trade...

I still holding out hope that the FO is able to acquire a late pick in this draft. ( I know Cris Wallace BWAHAHAHAAHA).

Anyway, If they hold on and get a top 3 pick then I think they are in good shape. If they drop out of the top 5  I wouldn't mind so much as long as the FO is still able to get a late pick. This team needs as many bites at the apple that they can get in terms of finding additional talent.

47 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

No way. 

I think he’s going to be one of the best players out of this class. 6'3 Brandon Jennings with defense.  His competitiveness and focus is CP3 like. Future all star 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D526Vj4Uw8

47 minutes ago, Allen said:

I think he’s going to be one of the best players out of this class. 6'3 Brandon Jennings with defense. Future all star 

Nice. 

If we get him there will be no further remarks about Conley's hair. 

59 minutes ago, Allen said:

I think he’s going to be one of the best players out of this class. 6'3 Brandon Jennings with defense.  His competitiveness and focus is CP3 like. Future all star 

The comp I keep reading is Dennis Smith with less athleticism. Considering Dennis Smith is only as good as his athleticism, that is frightening to me. Even the Brandon Jennings comp is not flattering. Brandon Jennings is a much better shooter than Sexton but shoots a low percentage because he has one of the worst shot selections I've ever seen. If you're telling me that is who Sexton is most like, I'll pass on that, too.

39 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

The comp I keep reading is Dennis Smith with less athleticism. Considering Dennis Smith is only as good as his athleticism, that is frightening to me. Even the Brandon Jennings comp is not flattering. Brandon Jennings is a much better shooter than Sexton but shoots a low percentage because he has one of the worst shot selections I've ever seen. If you're telling me that is who Sexton is most like, I'll pass on that, too.

Yea I thought about that after I typed it. Im not really good at coming up with comparisons

Maybe like a 6'3 Eric Bledsoe? I dont now who he reminds me of but I just like any talented player who also has that dog in him. That seems to be a rare combo these days. Dudes going to be a star

42 minutes ago, Allen said:

Yea I thought about that after I typed it. Im not really good at coming up with comparisons

Maybe like a 6'3 Eric Bledsoe? I dont now who he reminds me of but I just like any talented player who also has that dog in him. That seems to be a rare combo these days. Dudes going to be a star

Westbrook(ish)

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Kyle Lowry

3 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Weak draft class for guards.

I agree. Some solid ones but no sure fire stars.  Not even any day 1 starters.

26 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Kyle Lowry

I’ve heard that comparison before but I don’t see it. He’s more explosive than Lowry

47 minutes ago, Allen said:

I’ve heard that comparison before but I don’t see it. He’s more explosive than Lowry

We don't need a guard that can run a team. We have that in Harrison and Conley. That is why I am not high on sexton. He doesn't fill a need.

If I am going for a guard I want a guy that has some mismatch potential. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander does have that. He is shooting nearly .500 from the field.

I was reading up on him and find an article that said that he was recruited to be a guy that stayed with the wildcats for more than a year, but he has rapidly improved to being the best player on that team.

He would compliment both Conley and Harrison. I think the guy is pretty **** good. I also like Trae Young, but only because he has the mindset of instant offense.

The grizzlies behind Conley and Harrison are pretty thin at guard, so I would think this would be a huge need.

U can find an instant offense guy in the second round SGA reminds me of Harrison so I don't really see the point in having both... I don't like Trae Young I think he is a one way player that will get ate up on defense he's pretty much Isaiah Thomas

You want offense from a guard then I'd look at Lonnie Walker or Graysen Allen.....

I'm more interested in senior wings like KBD from Ohio St and Chandler Hutchinson... If we are looking for offense in this draft then Take Micheal Porter and try and swing a deal for Graysen Allen

9 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

U can find an instant offense guy in the second round SGA reminds me of Harrison so I don't really see the point in having both... I don't like Trae Young I think he is a one way player that will get ate up on defense he's pretty much Isaiah Thomas

You want offense from a guard then I'd look at Lonnie Walker or Graysen Allen.....

I'm more interested in senior wings like KBD from Ohio St and Chandler Hutchinson... If we are looking for offense in this draft then Take Micheal Porter and try and swing a deal for Graysen Allen

I'm looking for a mismatch guard. Harrison can't make midrange jumpers consistently. Nobody can in this draft like Alexander can either.

6 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

What about Luka Doncic? He's basically a guard although if we drafted him I think we would play him at small forward some. 

I think he is more of a sf and a spot up guy. He has vision, but I want a guy that can just rise up on somebody.

17 hours ago, tjazz22 said:

Westbrook(ish)

In their style of play? yes. Only way, way, way less athletic. And what is Westbrook without his other worldly athleticism? I'd say awful.

I am against Sexton. The only top prospect I would take him over is Bamba. I don't want another guard that can't shoot. I don't want a point guard that can't run a team and only cares about his own shot.

14 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I'm looking for a mismatch guard. Harrison can't make midrange jumpers consistently. Nobody can in this draft like Alexander can either.

midrange jumpers are the worst shot in basketball. Why would I make that my priority?