PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Bamba and Young are the only unicorns i see i this draft.

2 hours ago, Zappastache said:

I was comparing our 3 favorite bigs in this draft (I still have Ayton #1 but y'all are apparently out on him), and maybe we should be giving JJJ more consideration if we're outside of the top 2... His defense is out of this world and apparently he can shoot 3s even better than Bamba (on 4.5 attempts per 36, vs 2 for Bamba)

Mock drafts now have JJJ as a top 4 prospect, ahead of Bagley, Bamba and Young. 

image.thumb.png.5582e8e6ba7c5ba52de28e669ad2ecb3.png

Jackson could be number one at the end of draft workouts or out of the top 5. Lots of upside but didn't show much during the tourney (and in a lot of other games). 

Bamba looks like a "Moneyball" center. Most shots come on put backs or dunks. The high percentage shots. Then the random 3 which is a Moneyball shot, or at least you have to be a threat to hit the 3. Analysts don't like mid-range jumpers so why should Bamba take a bunch of sky hooks or 15 foot turn around fadeaway jumpers? The elaborate Hakeem/McHale classic post-up game gives you the lowest percentage shot attempts -- even worse than mid-range jumpers if they are OPEN.

Bagley might kill it in workouts. Combine that with his solid points/boards numbers in college and his bouncy, high-motor game then you have a top 3 pick.  

For Bamba to be a top4 pick i really didnt see too much. I like his length but he scares me. Can he even do a drop step? Up and under? Maybe he has some tools i havent seen but to be your top pick...I want to see more.

Same for JJJ. They just look so raw to me. I mean like 3yrs away raw

Trae seems to have put on a bit of muscle this offseason (he's listed at 180lb this season and he was 177lb out of Oklahoma) without bulking up too much, which is good for his NBA longevity. Ja isn't so fragile looking as Trae but he'll need to work on that as well in order to prevent injuries.

16 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

MODS

Yep lock thread or move to NBA talk, this has nothing to do with the Grizzlies

how is bamba doing now

51 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Absolutely trash. Out of league in a couple of years most likely. 

thank god the grizzlies did not take him 

Bamba had a rough rookie season. as most traditional big men do. 

He's currently stuck behind an all-star caliber center but is managing 4 points and 4 rebounds a game in a limited role. His efficiency is pathetic however and is looking more and more like Hasheem Thabeet than Nerlens Noel. 

On 3/13/2018 at 4:59 PM, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah.  If Bamba turns into his upside then we can call him Captain Parade.

Trae Young looks like a chucker -- not a unicorn.

I think Ayton looks like a prototype center -- at least on offense.  Collin Sexton looks like a prototype point guard.  Although not tall/long enough to really be termed a "unicorn".

JJJ and Mikal Bridges look like, uh, "unicorn role players".  If that is a thing.  Like if you think Robert Horry was a unicorn role player who hit the 3, could defend 3 spots, and also dunk and rebound.  JJJ looks like a 3 and D stretch 4 or a small ball five, even if he doesn't maximize the rest of his skill set.  Bridges looks like that 3 and D shooting guard you could really use today -- even if never becomes an all-star.

Luca Doncic: "unicorn 4th option"? The perimeter, offensive equivalent of Draymond Green?  Does a lot of everything, is fiery, and is overqualified to be the 4th guy but not good enough to be a 2nd option or even a top shelf third option.  Doncic has a mix of "unicorn" with maybe some Lonzo Ball/Ben Simmons stuff, or for the throwback optimist Magic/Bird, but some "Meh stuff" too like a lack of athleticism, not really enough unicorn length or size for the wing, and meh shooting all-around.  

Going back to the original point: Mohamed Bamba has a chance to be THE Unicorn.  Yep, the 3 and D center.  Mutombo or Bill Russell on defense with a workable 3 point shot.  He is only shooting 28% or so from deep, but I am wondering if that isn't bad.  I think most shooters feast on the corner 3 chip shots.  Wonder what the averages are for straight away 3's and 3's from the elbow.  I saw some highlights against TCU or somebody and Bamba was doing some Greek Freak type stuff with the ball/slashing for layups.  If he makes a modicum of those Greek Freak-esque dribble-drives per game, hits around 25% or so on straight away 3's, and is able to hit the jump hook and the mid-range jumper at decent rates then you might end up with the best guy in the league in a few years, or at least one of the top few centers.

Bamba's highlights are UNREAL.

I wonder how our resident self-proclaimed draft expert wants to defend this post? 

Hey Maverick, you seen this?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28313228/ten-nba-things-like-including-philadelphia-76ers-big-question

4. Trae Young's defense
Young can be a special offensive player, but Atlanta will go nowhere serious until he buys in on defense.

There is too much of that: Young upright, flat-footed, arms at his side. That stance makes him slow snapping into action away from the ball. He can be late scurrying around screens, and he often just smacks into them. He is a piece of floating tissue everyone else just shoves away. 🤣

Atlanta has allowed 117 points per 100 possessions with Young on the floor -- and 103 when he sits, per NBA.com. Lots of factors beyond Young go into those numbers, but his play contributes. He ranks 435th among 438 players in ESPN's defensive real plus-minus after finishing dead last a year ago.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, BigHunkALove said:

Hey Maverick, you seen this?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28313228/ten-nba-things-like-including-philadelphia-76ers-big-question

4. Trae Young's defense
Young can be a special offensive player, but Atlanta will go nowhere serious until he buys in on defense.

There is too much of that: Young upright, flat-footed, arms at his side. That stance makes him slow snapping into action away from the ball. He can be late scurrying around screens, and he often just smacks into them. He is a piece of floating tissue everyone else just shoves away. 🤣

Atlanta has allowed 117 points per 100 possessions with Young on the floor -- and 103 when he sits, per NBA.com. Lots of factors beyond Young go into those numbers, but his play contributes. He ranks 435th among 438 players in ESPN's defensive real plus-minus after finishing dead last a year ago.

Ouch. I assumed it was bad but...

Image result for damn GIF

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Ouch. I assumed it was bad but...

Image result for damn GIF

yeah funny how he has disappeared off the boards.

Also explains why he started with "actually I said we should have drafted Wendel Carter" line, but since Jaren's good Dec month, especially since the 43pt effort v Bucks, he is MIA lol