Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Mike Conley done for season

11 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wallace is fantastic at finding quality late in the draft and even after the draft. His problem is making big decisions. Thabeet,  Jordan Adams, Xavier Henry and giving up picks for bad players. Not all of those picks fall completely on Wallace’s shoulders but only because he didn’t have the gumption to stand and up and say no when the team needed him to do just that. 

Wallace takes credit for the Big 4 but really he lucked into most of them. Conley was drafted less than two weeks after he took over. Gasol is Wallace’s pick but drafting Thabeet after we had Marc here showed he wasn’t confident Marc was the answer. The Clippers gave away Randolph and Wallace got him because he had the salary room to take his contract. TA came to be close to his buddy Tony Barbee. 

Then you consider the bad contracts, the Iverson signing (once again Wallace refused to tell the owner no), the Mayo for Love trade and finally Wade Baldwin ahead of Dejuanta Murray who is starting for the Spurs. So many mistakes most due to Wallace’s desire to keep his job rather than DO his job. 

I like Wallace personally but he’s an assistant GM not the head guy. He passes on too many big calls for fear of being wrong and getting fired. 

He's done so much bad outside of the draft though.. From Parsons max after knee issues even his best friend Cuban won't keep him..Conley unnecessary max..Gasol max.  Drops key leader players Zbo, Vince, TA in order to go a new direction, then fires that coach for doing exactly that to try and go backwards.. With less talent.

10 hours ago, Memfizz said:

He's done so much bad outside of the draft though.. From Parsons max after knee issues even his best friend Cuban won't keep him..Conley unnecessary max..Gasol max.  Drops key leader players Zbo, Vince, TA in order to go a new direction, then fires that coach for doing exactly that to try and go backwards.. With less talent.

Agreed. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Allen said:

Wallace is full of it. I doubt Conley ever makes a full recovery and gets back to where he was. Those last 3 years are his contract are going to be brutal. 30 mil a year for 14 and 5

That what the Grizz signed up for before the injury. That's all he ever did before the contract, before last year. Why would they expect something different?

If they are going to really tank, then they need to trade Gasol. He's gone on record saying he's not for a tank, and I don't really blame him. he is at a stage in his career where every year, really every game, has got to count for him. If the team really respected Gasol, they'd be looking to trade him to a contender.

If they trade Gasol, then I'd be looking to keep Reke and Green. Reke has shown he's a dynamic wing they have been searching for, and Green is a rare find in that he is a serviceable Stretch 4 that can defend and rebound, given the right amount of PT. Once again there are at least two factors that say the Grizz need to do this:

• Do they really trust Wallace to be good enough to do anything with a draft pick, even in the lottery?
  • Memphis isn't gonna attract a Free Agent that gonna be a game changer, at least they cannot plan on that. Reke appears to be a game changer, why let him walk?

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in a bush. Conley, Reke, Seldon, Green and Davis is manageable. With a bench of Martin, Brooks, Kobi, what ever they get in a Gasol trade and Draft picks, that would be a good foundation for next year, at least better than what they would have sans Reke and with Gasol.  

13 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

If they are going to really tank, then they need to trade Gasol. He's gone on record saying he's not for a tank, and I don't really blame him. he is at a stage in his career where every year, really every game, has got to count for him. If the team really respected Gasol, they'd be looking to trade him to a contender.

If they trade Gasol, then I'd be looking to keep Reke and Green. Reke has shown he's a dynamic wing they have been searching for, and Green is a rare find in that he is a serviceable Stretch 4 that can defend and rebound, given the right amount of PT. Once again there are at least two factors that say the Grizz need to do this:

• Do they really trust Wallace to be good enough to do anything with a draft pick, even in the lottery?
  • Memphis isn't gonna attract a Free Agent that gonna be a game changer, at least they cannot plan on that. Reke appears to be a game changer, why let him walk?

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in a bush. Conley, Reke, Seldon, Green and Davis is manageable. With a bench of Martin, Brooks, Kobi, what ever they get in a Gasol trade and Draft picks, that would be a good foundation for next year, at least better than what they would have sans Reke and with Gasol.  

You know I am onboard with your dream scenario.   But this FO is either  too afraid or short -sighted to pull off something like this. 

4 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Reke played with the brow and never did anything. The brow, so calling him the wing we have been looking for is a huge stretch.

My thing is what has gasol done to you to make you so against him? Really? Except maybe being the roadblock that you see from the grizzlies trying to play like steph curry and the warriors I really don't get it.

Marc is not steph curry and never will be. Get over it. But here's a clue, reke ain't either. At least Marc is a winner, though. Reke can't win even when he is playing with the brow so don't blame marc for the grizzlies troubles. Because reke has proven to be bad even when he has played with a top 5 player in the league.

I still don’t think the FO will trade Gasol. We need to ship Reke for a pick. I like he reke plus our second for a 1st

we can then only pray to the basketball gods that Mike is ok and that miraculously Chandler heals to be decent

18 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Reke played with the brow and never did anything. The brow, so calling him the wing we have been looking for is a huge stretch.

My thing is what has gasol done to you to make you so against him? Really? Except maybe being the roadblock that you see from the grizzlies trying to play like steph curry and the warriors I really don't get it.

Marc is not steph curry and never will be. Get over it. But here's a clue, reke ain't either. At least Marc is a winner, though. Reke can't win even when he is playing with the brow so don't blame marc for the grizzlies troubles. Because reke has proven to be bad even when he has played with a top 5 player in the league.

Gasol has proven to be little more than a complementary piece to a winning formula, not anything to build around. Reke provides more of the skill set needed to be successful in the 21st Century NBA; athleticism, shot making/scoring, and a good level of durability, so far. The problem with keeping Gasol around is that the tendency of the front office will be to build around him, thus influencing decisions about the draft and free agency. Gasol doesn't have the game to be a foundational piece of a winning team. Gasol has been on a winning team, best suited to complement the main scorers and players, not to be THE guy . Considering the draft history of this front office and the prospects of Memphis attracting any real players in free agency, I say the best bet is to lock down proven high level talent the Grizz already have. That is in Reke, not in Gasol.  

4 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Gasol has proven to be little more than a complementary piece to a winning formula, not anything to build around. Reke provides more of the skill set needed to be successful in the 21st Century NBA; athleticism, shot making/scoring, and a good level of durability, so far. The problem with keeping Gasol around is that the tendency of the front office will be to build around him, thus influencing decisions about the draft and free agency. Gasol doesn't have the game to be a foundational piece of a winning team. Gasol has been on a winning team, best suited to complement the main scorers and players, not to be THE guy . Considering the draft history of this front office and the prospects of Memphis attracting any real players in free agency, I say the best bet is to lock down proven high level talent the Grizz already have. That is in Reke, not in Gasol.  

Well said.   Only thing i have to dispute is your "durability" comment in regards to Reke.   Durability has been the only thing holding him back all these years.   If Reke has truly overcome his durability issue then without a doubt he is an AllStar level talent going forward. 

53 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

proven high level talent the Grizz already have. That is in Gasol, not in Reke.  

Fixed that for you. Tyrekes been in the league 10 years and he hasn't proven ****. His best year was his rookie year and hasn't sniffed an all-star since. I'm all for keepin him but don't twist the truth about it.

22 minutes ago, cdp said:

Fixed that for you. Tyrekes been in the league 10 years and he hasn't proven ****. His best year was his rookie year and hasn't sniffed an all-star since. I'm all for keepin him but don't twist the truth about it.

What does their history have to do with today? Reke has improved his jumper and skill level and the value of perimeter playmaking has gone up due to the way the game is played now. While in Gasols case bigs who can shoot have gone from a rarity to a norm and quickness from a big has become more important than ever due to the increased perimeter playmaking (pick n roll defense). The tides have turned. This makes Reke more valuable than Gasol on a basketball court and the only place he hasnt caught up is perception because he is having a losing season.

2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Gasol is not Steph Curry and that really gets my craw

I summarized what you said

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Well said.   Only thing i have to dispute is your "durability" comment in regards to Reke.   Durability has been the only thing holding him back all these years.   If Reke has truly overcome his durability issue then without a doubt he is an AllStar level talent going forward. 

True, perhaps I meant to say is that he's been durable enough...this year LOL!!!

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Gasol is not Steph Curry and that really gets my craw

I summarized what you said

I actually don't like Steph Curry's game. He's a glorified  uber-volume shooter with "and-1" type handles and a quick release. He is the product of NBA rules that favor shooters and scoring, analytics nerds who say the most efficient shots are 3's in volume or driving the lane (no more mid -range or low post game), and marketing . For all that the Dubs are, a team with a true, dominant low post big man and some Dawgs on perimeter D will school them. But, since all pro sports teams are just copycats, no team currently in the league wants to build its roster this way (the Grizz came close in the Grit -n-Grind era, they just couldn't score enough while Z-Bo and TA were in their primes).

So no, I do not wish Gasol was Steph. In fact, I wish Gasol was more like Shaq or Kareem, and the Grizz would slow the game down and D up folks. That's their best chance to compete for a ring.  

4 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

I actually don't like Steph Curry's game. He's a glorified  uber-volume shooter with "and-1" type handles and a quick release. He is the product of NBA rules that favor shooters and scoring, analytics nerds who say the most efficient shots are 3's in volume or driving the lane (no more mid -range or low post game), and marketing . For all that the Dubs are, a team with a true, dominant low post big man and some Dawgs on perimeter D will school them. But, since all pro sports teams are just copycats, no team currently in the league wants to build its roster this way (the Grizz came close in the Grit -n-Grind era, they just couldn't score enough while Z-Bo and TA were in their primes).

So no, I do not wish Gasol was Steph. In fact, I wish Gasol was more like Shaq or Kareem, and the Grizz would slow the game down and D up folks. That's their best chance to compete for a ring.  

Unless you've got Durant, Curry, Thompson, LBJ, Harden, or guys like that (and we obviously do not) this probably is the best way.  But you won't find anyone on these boards to agree.  Folks around here would rather watch losers with exciting dunking and 3-point  shotjacking than watch a slowed down team grinding out victories.

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

What does their history have to do with today? Reke has improved his jumper and skill level and the value of perimeter playmaking has gone up due to the way the game is played now. While in Gasols case bigs who can shoot have gone from a rarity to a norm and quickness from a big has become more important than ever due to the increased perimeter playmaking (pick n roll defense). The tides have turned. This makes Reke more valuable than Gasol on a basketball court and the only place he hasnt caught up is perception because he is having a losing season.

Oh there's no denying that, it's just he's still got a lot to show before we can go callin him a "proven high-level talent" when he hasn't had enough of an impact to win in the league.

For what it's worth i'm hoping we keep Tyreke. I think we have a good chance at retaining his services next year, especially if they offer a player option in a deal. And unless we get back a really solid return I don't wanna see us trading him for the sake of trading him. Same goes for Gasol.

Lmao of all the players to criticize this year, Reke is somehow no.1 on some of ya's list.

Just imagine how he would've been treated when GNG was in high gear smh.

1 hour ago, cdp said:

Oh there's no denying that, it's just he's still got a lot to show before we can go callin him a "proven high-level talent" when he hasn't had enough of an impact to win in the league.

For what it's worth i'm hoping we keep Tyreke. I think we have a good chance at retaining his services next year, especially if they offer a player option in a deal. And unless we get back a really solid return I don't wanna see us trading him for the sake of trading him. Same goes for Gasol.

I would rather trade him and try to resign him. He would probably appreciate the Grizzlies giving him a chance to shine on a playoff stage.

48 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I would rather trade him and try to resign him. He would probably appreciate the Grizzlies giving him a chance to shine on a playoff stage.

You have to wait a year from the date of the trade before you can sign that player to a contract, I think, or is that only for reacquiring via trade?  Help me out fanboy slim.  Tyreke would be in someone else's lineup by then.

Reke has been in the NBA since 2009 - 8 seasons plus this one
 Has played 60+ games 5 times, 70+ 3 times. 

Made of glass. Garbage. Paycheck stealer. Worse than useless. 

But for perspective, here's a look at the impact of injuries across the league last season
(surprisingly, there were fewer games lost than any year since 05-06)

http://instreetclothes.com/2017/04/18/reviewing-injury-totals-2016-17-nba-regular-season/  

Parsons, Conley, Gasol, Evans ... feh. LOTS of players get hurt.

We've had some MAJOR injuries. WOW! But nothing trumps bad drafting. At the least we could have had Harden. We've traded 3-4 players that became serviceable players too. 

7 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

This post and your comment that reke is better suited than gasol for 21 century nba don't go together.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

You have to wait a year from the date of the trade before you can sign that player to a contract, I think, or is that only for reacquiring via trade?  Help me out fanboy slim.  Tyreke would be in someone else's lineup by then.

Im no fanboyslim but I got some CBA knowledge. You gotta wait for the next season. They are trying to prevent playoff teams from trading a bunch of players for one player then those players resigning with their old team that year. Eg, the Celtics trade Morris, Smart, Baynes to the Grizzlies for Gasol. We then cut Morris, Smart snd Baynes cause they have no value to us and they go back to the Celtics for the playoffs in basically a prearranged deal. You want to keep that from happening.

So I saw on Grizz Nation, that there is a rumor that the Grizz are trying to get Parsons to medically retire. 

Anybody have any idea about this?

aaaaand apparently Parsons camp was having none of it ?.

oh well.