Sign in to follow this  
New_Sacred_Cow

Memphis @ New Orleans 01/20/18

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Cleveland got Lebron because Lebron grew up in Cleveland. If that was not the case, Cleveland would have never attracted LeBron. Case in point, Kyrie bolted as soon as he had enough leverage to do so. Golden State is a attractive location due to it's nearness to the glitz and glamor of LA. Miami has always been a destination city due to nightlife, pat riley, etc.

San Antonio is the only true small market team that ever had and kept a superstar player.

But that said, I don't think it is really a matter of small vs big market. The bigger problem is that the NBA and adam silver are only interested in having 1 super team in the east and 1 in the west. And maybe a rival for each of them. 

I would agree Adam Silver is not the commissioner that I was expecting to be. He is too highly thought of his superstars, and will do anything and everything to support LeBron, Steph, KD, Kyrie, Russ, James Harden, and CP3. In addition, his suspensions doesn't add up to me as well. I don't know who does the exact suspensions, but he suspended Aaron Affalo for 2 games for clearly throwing a punch at an opponent. Affalo was lucky that he didn't connect but he clearly threw a punch. However, Trevor Ariza and Green for Houston got 2 games for just going into the LA Clippers locker room. To me, Silver cares about the perception of the league more than the future and the current status of the league. The NBA would be a boring season if Cleveland was to have a legit defense and win games. Since the Cavs are struggling, we all think there's hope they will not make it to the NBA finals. But in reality, we know we'll watch Cleveland and Golden State, part 4!

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Cleveland got Lebron because Lebron grew up in Cleveland. If that was not the case, Cleveland would have never attracted LeBron. Case in point, Kyrie bolted as soon as he had enough leverage to do so. Golden State is a attractive location due to it's nearness to the glitz and glamor of LA. Miami has always been a destination city due to nightlife, pat riley, etc.

San Antonio is the only true small market team that ever had and kept a superstar player.

But that said, I don't think it is really a matter of small vs big market. The bigger problem is that the NBA and adam silver are only interested in having 1 super team in the east and 1 in the west. And maybe a rival for each of them. 

I don't think that's necessarily what silver wants.  He came out and said he was a bit disappointed in Durant as well since he doesn't think it does the league well to keep stacking teams.  

I like Silver a lot better than Stern. He seems a lot more open to positive changes.  Like coming out against flopping, Stern would never do that. 

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

You are talking population size and I get that but a lot is about how many support their team. First of all, the entire New England region supports Boston teams. They basically have nothing else up there. The average Bostonian is crazy about their team. And they (fans) are also willing to open up their wallets. 

I know this is another sport, but the Miami Marlins have won two titles and immediately had fire sales afterwards. They just sold their best player to the Yanks. They have constant ownership issues. This team goes broke after winning titles. What good is their 5 million people doing them? Heck look at how they handled Bosh, Wade and Mike Miller. They arent known as free spenders. I think football is of high interest in the area but it doesnt seem like a huge sports area.

Thats what I mean about sports market. How many fans do you have and how much can they or will they spend?

You've got some good points.  Miami's situation is a bit unique, I guess, because a large part of the population emigrated from other states or countries and probably do not feel a regional loyalty like inhabitants of some other cities do.  Still, they are able to draw free agents better than small market teams based solely on their location.  Beaches, resort lifestyle, etc.  All of those markets will draw FAs better than Memphis simply because of their size or attractiveness.  Remember when Shane Battier's wife didn't want to stay in Memphis?  I'm sure players' wives have some input with their husbands' choice of work locations too, if it come down to the little things.  I think building a competitor in Memphis will always be more difficult than many other NBA cities because we will always have to overpay for quality.

3 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

I would agree Adam Silver is not the commissioner that I was expecting to be. He is too highly thought of his superstars, and will do anything and everything to support LeBron, Steph, KD, Kyrie, Russ, James Harden, and CP3. In addition, his suspensions doesn't add up to me as well. I don't know who does the exact suspensions, but he suspended Aaron Affalo for 2 games for clearly throwing a punch at an opponent. Affalo was lucky that he didn't connect but he clearly threw a punch. However, Trevor Ariza and Green for Houston got 2 games for just going into the LA Clippers locker room. To me, Silver cares about the perception of the league more than the future and the current status of the league. The NBA would be a boring season if Cleveland was to have a legit defense and win games. Since the Cavs are struggling, we all think there's hope they will not make it to the NBA finals. But in reality, we know we'll watch Cleveland and Golden State, part 4!

Are you saying that the Rockets players' suspensions were too harsh?  I don't think so.  You can't have that in sports, period.  Players know they're going to get suspended for fighting.  The league FO sent a message that going into an opponents locker room won't be tolerated either.

11 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Are you saying that the Rockets players' suspensions were too harsh?  I don't think so.  You can't have that in sports, period.  Players know they're going to get suspended for fighting.  The league FO sent a message that going into an opponents locker room won't be tolerated either.

No, I thought 1-2 games what they were going to get. However, Afflalo got 2 games for throwing a punch. Doesn't make sense to me. Would Afflalo get 4-5 games if that punch connected? The answer would be a yes. Here's this: Remember when Shaun Livingston and that referee got into an argument, and head butted each other? Livingston got one game suspension while the ref got a week long suspension, which is probably equivalent to 3-4 games for that referee. Doesn't add up.

10 minutes ago, GoGrizz! said:

No, I thought 1-2 games what they were going to get. However, Afflalo got 2 games for throwing a punch. Doesn't make sense to me. Would Afflalo get 4-5 games if that punch connected? The answer would be a yes. Here's this: Remember when Shaun Livingston and that referee got into an argument, and head butted each other? Livingston got one game suspension while the ref got a week long suspension, which is probably equivalent to 3-4 games for that referee. Doesn't add up.

Agreed about Livingston.

The NBA went into cover up mode and tried to blame the ref for "initiating the contact".

If it had been another sport like football, Livingston could have found himself out of thr game for a long time, maybe even a life ban. One game was pathetically weak

On the Houston Clippers thing they were quick to say Paul and Harden "were acting the peacemaker role" BS

4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

You've got some good points.  Miami's situation is a bit unique, I guess, because a large part of the population emigrated from other states or countries and probably do not feel a regional loyalty like inhabitants of some other cities do.  Still, they are able to draw free agents better than small market teams based solely on their location.  Beaches, resort lifestyle, etc.  All of those markets will draw FAs better than Memphis simply because of their size or attractiveness.  Remember when Shane Battier's wife didn't want to stay in Memphis?  I'm sure players' wives have some input with their husbands' choice of work locations too, if it come down to the little things.  I think building a competitor in Memphis will always be more difficult than many other NBA cities because we will always have to overpay for quality.

I agree that it isnt the most attractive city to move too, relative to some of the competition. They would have to attract free agents by building a strong ypung core through thr draft first. I just feel that financially, the NBA/CBA has done what it can to make the playing field as level as possible. You can build a stronf foundation anywhere through the draft and probably keep it for several years.