Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

2017 NBA Manifesto

2017 NBA Manifesto

Old time favorite hoops writer breaks down all 30 NBA teams going in to the free agency period. 340 pages of information for your weekend enjoyment.

Sample Grizz on Marc Gasol:

Aged 32, Gasol has peaked, and while the sudden emergence of a high volume, high efficiency three-point stroke will add to his career longevity (and certainly helps in the short term as well), the slight decline in

other areas has begun. The defensive rebounds have started to tape off, and the offensive rebounding rate has dwindled to virtually nothing at this point where once it was quite good. The free throw rate is done (the

threes are partly why, but it was going down anyway), the finishing at the rim is down, and the defensive positioning is down. Perhaps most importantly, the defensive rotations and positioning are down, and yet

nothing is quite as down as his aggressiveness level. Gasol is still good, very good. But it might be time to cash in while there is still strong value to be had.

On Conley:

Conley is hugely important to the construct of the Grizzlies, partly because no one else does the things he does (the ball-handling and playmaking, even at a basic level, fall off a cliff without him), but also because of

how sneaky good he has become over the last decade. The improvements continue, too, even as he hits 30, posting a career year this past season with a .604% true shooting percentage and 10.0 win shares. Con-
ley must be considered at this point to be one of the best players to have never once been an All-Star. Give him a bigger market and a faster paced team, and this oversight would never have happened.

On Davis:

Didn’t play much, neither in the big league nor on assignment. But in the time he did play, Davis showed himself to be quite the rim protector. Big, long and athletic, Davis has shot blocking instincts, timing and re-
covery speed. The offensive skills aren’t much, but the mistakes low, and the mistakes recognised. A project worth keeping, and getting the opportunities to play and develop him more with court time would be an-
other upside to a Gasol trade.

He seems to be a fan of Mike and JaMyke.

Building BlocksMike Conley: Four years and circa. $126 million remaining. As things stand, worth every penny.

Good Pieces JaMychal Green: Entering restricted free agency, and could be a second tier target on the market. His qualifying offer and cap hold of $2,820,497 are small, but eight figure per annum offers might come in. At the lower ends of that range, they are worth matching.

He also shares my view of Gasol too

Trade Chips Marc Gasol: Three years and circa. $72.355 million remaining, with the last year a player option. As his game transitions into becoming less do-it-all and more do-a-bit, can a team on a budget and with the Parsons problem afford this? Why not cash in while value is still high?

 Brandan Wright: One year at $5,955,760 left. When he is healthy, this is a very good value deal, but the price does reflect the injuries. It is probably worth pursuing a trade for Wright, given the lack of other tradeable pieces and the potential of incumbent youth making him expendable.

This really emphasis we need to get help for Conley and not waste his prime years.    I'll say this.   You put Conley on the SAS team with Kawhi and Da Brow and i'd say they have a legit chance to beat GSW.  

I have to agree that it's probably time to cash in on Gasol.

What we show from him in the playoffs was unacceptable from a guy that we were counting on to be a top 2 option. And some say well if Parsons gets healthy he can be the #2 and Gasol won't have to be relied upon in that role But I'm not willing to bank on Parsons' health, not to mention I don't think he's made out of the right stuff to be a top 2 option on a contending team.

I could sense that Conley was a little irritated with Gasol after the loss to the Spurs too.

26 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

I have to agree that it's probably time to cash in on Gasol.

What we show from him in the playoffs was unacceptable from a guy that we were counting on to be a top 2 option. And some say well if Parsons gets healthy he can be the #2 and Gasol won't have to be relied upon in that role But I'm not willing to bank on Parsons' health, not to mention I don't think he's made out of the right stuff to be a top 2 option on a contending team.

I could sense that Conley was a little irritated with Gasol after the loss to the Spurs too.

Yes neither one of them project to be a #2 on a contenting team.   Gasol WANTS to be at best a 3rd option and Chandler never was actually signed to be the 3rd option.   Its crazy that Conley has shut up most haters and proven that he can be a legit first option in the right system.   

We spent all the seasons arguing over Marc being better suited as a second fiddle only  to find out that is a miscast for him too. 

Irony is that a Healthy Rudy Gay would be good Conley side-kick.  

I agree 100% that we should cash in while Marc's market value is still high. He was an All Star last season after all. Need to surround Mike with fits to maximize his game. 

Would Cavs be interested in a Gasol for Love trade? If Melo gets bought out he would join Lebron. Maybe Wade would do the same. In this case they would need Gasol more than Love. And how about Orlando? I think Vogel wants to win now and I would trade for Vucevic, Hezonja, Isaac and Augustin. I am sure there are teams out there willing to give up assets for Marc and we could still be competitive if we trade him. 

I think Marc could be a good 3rd/4th star for a team like Houston, Washington or Boston.

My preference is Boston but Washington is the team with the worst management, so future Wizard picks hold the most value over our own pick.

6 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I think Marc could be a good 3rd/4th star for a team like Houston, Washington or Boston.

My preference is Boston but Washington is the team with the worst management, so future Wizard picks hold the most value over our own pick.

I believe Marc would clash with D'Antoni in Houston but would fit in well with the Wizards or Celtics.  

8 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Marc's not a star

I would be ok, with trading Gasol as long as the team knows what it is planning. If you are trading Gasol for the future, then Conley gets traded next year, and we have pile up 2019 draft picks.

If you are trading away your second best player, and there is such a huge drop off to your third. Then you either get somehting comperable or you start the rebuilt.

Advance stats says you are giving away 10 wins over replacement. A 4.0 Vorp.

I would assume a bigger drop off. And 10th place finish in the West.

28 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Marc's not a star

How many multiple All-Star game peformers aren't considered a star in their hometown? 

27 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

How many multiple All-Star game peformers aren't considered a star in their hometown? 

The grizzlies aren't going to trade Marc after giving Chandler 94 million, regardless of the warriors dominance or not.

Also, with what Dwight brought in a trade, and even the fact that the spurs couldn't get a top 10 pick for lamarcus Aldridge, I'm not sure there is a viable market for Marc. 

The only other team that marc fits on would be utah and they have a center.

Everybody else in the league is trying to play open court 3 or die basketball. Also, I am not of the opinion that dropping like an anvil is a trade benefit in and if itself.

MemphisX only cares about the quickest avenue to lose, and what the grizzlies get back is irrelevant.

Also, the grizzlies could be buyers instead of sellers but X knows that's a pipe dream. Instead of giving somebody else a championship, why don't we do what houston did and go after paul george.

While we can sometimes ALL be prisoners of the moment, and can rationalize the benefits of moving Marc Gasol, it is highly unlikely and probably not even under consideration to move him.  There will be a decline as a player gets older but there were moments in this past season where Marc Gasol was unguardable. I know at times M. Conley Jr has looked great but with his injury history he can't be counted on as the lone contributor and plus the team has responded positively when he has been out for extended periods of time.  The case can not be made for when Marc has been out of the lineup. 

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies aren't going to trade Marc after giving Chandler 94 million, regardless of the warriors dominance or not.

Also, with what Dwight brought in a trade, and even the fact that the spurs couldn't get a top 10 pick for lamarcus Aldridge, I'm not sure there is a viable market for Marc. 

The only other team that marc fits on would be utah and they have a center.

Everybody else in the league is trying to play open court 3 or die basketball. Also, I am not of the opinion that dropping like an anvil is a trade benefit in and if itself.

MemphisX only cares about the quickest avenue to lose, and what the grizzlies get back is irrelevant.

Also, the grizzlies could be buyers instead of sellers but X knows that's a pipe dream. Instead of giving somebody else a championship, why don't we do what houston did and go after paul george.

And how do we get Paul George without giving up Conley and Marc?

For the record, I'm all for trading for George, but I doubt they would be willing to take Marc back as a part of the deal, and I sense that you wouldn't be willing to part with Marc.

14 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

And how do we get Paul George without giving up Conley and Marc?

For the record, I'm all for trading for George, but I doubt they would be willing to take Marc back as a part of the deal, and I sense that you wouldn't be willing to part with Marc.

How did the rockets get Chris Paul for a whole lot of nothing. Didn't Chandler say he was a master recruiter. Let's get recruiting.

17 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

How did the rockets get Chris Paul for a whole lot of nothing. Didn't Chandler say he was a master recruiter. Let's get recruiting.

Okay lets try this another way. What combination of tradable players do we have that is the caliber of Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams? Also, what picks would we have to offer? If Indiana aint getting an All-Star, and they aint getting a pick, I don't see what on our team they would be interested in. Who on our team would you trade Paul George for? I mean seriously.

I'd turn cart wheels if it were to happen. But I'm also a realist.

4 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Okay lets try this another way. What combination of tradable players do we have that is the caliber of Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams? Also, what picks would we have to offer? If Indiana aint getting an All-Star, and they aint getting a pick, I don't see what on our team they would be interested in. Who on our team would you trade Paul George for? I mean seriously.

Offer jam in a sign and trade, add wright, renounce tony and zbo with the understanding that we will bring them back on vet minimum, throw in our 2018 first round pick, wade Baldwin and dede Davis. 

Done!

50 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I think Chandler was talking about picking up something other than basketball players! :o

1 hour ago, GF#1 said:

Also Boston's deal is no better than the Grizz. I'd rather have jam than Crowder and Baldwin and Davis are both as good as the picks they are offering.

48 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think Chandler was talking about picking up something other than basketball players! :o

lol he was referring to Instagram thots

16 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Also Boston's deal is no better than the Grizz. I'd rather have jam than Crowder and Baldwin and Davis are both as good as the picks they are offering.

1) You are the only person that believe JAM is better than Crowder. Not only is Crowder a better player, he will certainly be a better contract once JAM signs. 

2) I would not include Davis in a trade for George only because George is not staying here. Don't give away our only young player anyone believes has a real future.

3) I would trade Davis for some of Boston's picks, so it depends on which ones Boston is offering before I could say Davis was worth more than the picks.

4 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

1) You are the only person that believe JAM is better than Crowder. Not only is Crowder a better player, he will certainly be a better contract once JAM signs. 

2) I would not include Davis in a trade for George only because George is not staying here. Don't give away our only young player anyone believes has a real future.

3) I would trade Davis for some of Boston's picks, so it depends on which ones Boston is offering before I could say Davis was worth more than the picks.

Crowder is a tweeter, not really a shooting guard or a small foward. I mean in Boston's small ball it can work, but I don't really see him as that good of a player.