Sign in to follow this  
Michael D

How David Fizdale's Successes Cast A Different Light On Dave Joerger

I still am very happy with Fizdale.

I don't blame the 4-6 loss stretch on him...He's doing all he can, really the only complaints are tiny ones...Like rotation decisions, but he's been better at even that than previous coaches.

He holds players accountable. I've honestly been waiting years for a coach like this who's fair but also has a set of balls.

If you take a step back, not much to complain about.

Chip you can tell everyone to stop building their bombshelters and put the canned good back on the shelves.  All is right in the world we are back to disagreeing!!

And there is much rejoicing. 

There is a huge difference in Fizdales approach to youth, development, and rookies in general than it was with Joerger.  Fizdale actually invested time in developing rookies and a real strategy behind it.   For example - Davis is a very young inexperienced rookie so Fiz typically gives him a few minutes in only the first half of games to bring him along slowly.   This gives Davis valuable "real NBA minutes" without really jeopardizing the success of the team.   Joerger never did/does that.  

Davis is rarely playing and only getting minutes because Martin's in the D-League, JaMychal, Brandon and Parsons are injured and Gasol does need to rest some. 

Also compare his treatment of Andrew Harrison versus Joerger's treatment of Tony Wroten.   Joerger said that he was going to throw Tony Wroten into the fire and the only way for rookies to learn was by playing time and experience - when he was first hired as HC.   Then after Summer League he petitioned to get TWroten traded and a more seasoned PG. 

I don't know who petitioned Wroten to be traded but I don't believe he's a great example since he's out of the league now. He only managed playing time on one of the worst teams in the league who released him. The only reason Harrison got playing time is that there is no backup for Conley. The team tried to play Tony Allen at the point instead of Harrison after all. Many people believe the team needs to get an experienced PG like Mario Chalmers despite Mario not being fully recovered from achilles tendon surgery. They want Toney Douglas instead of Harrison and Fizdale played Toney Douglas instead of Andrew Harrison for as long as he could. Fizdale isn't playing Harrison because he wants to develop him. He is playing him because he has no choice but Harrison.  

Now look at how Fizz has treated Harrison and Wade.   He gave them both ample opportunities to seize the role.  Then based his decision on production instead of draft position.  Fiz worked with Harrison and rarely yanked him out of games over silly mistakes and showed confidence in him by playing him at the end of games (in spite of vets being available).      Joerger NEVER EVER did that. 

Harrison is only teetering in the rotation now simply because we have too many guys that need minutes.  There hasn't been any rumors or noise about Fiz lobbying for a veteran PG which is a direct contrast to Joerger and Lionel.  

Joerger never HAD to do that. Once again Fizdale would prefer Toney Douglas to Harrison and Baldwin but the team couldn't keep him. You give him credit for a roster that forces his hand. Joerger played Ray McCallum, Bryce Cotten, Xavier Munford, etc. Fizdale isn't lobbying for any more players because the roster is full. Fizdale has chosen to play Tony Allen and Toney Douglas over Andrew Harrison and Wade Baldwin when he had the opportunity.    

We have an extremely unbalanced roster right now and it was never realistic to expect Fiz to be able to fully develop FIVE young guys at once.   However, he has already shown that he is truly invested in player development and is the right guy going forward. 

I agree that the roster is unbalanced. That is why Harrison and Davis have seen the court at all this season. Had Fizdale had Wright and a veteran backup, even one as bad as Toney Douglas, the rookies wouldn't be playing at all.  

You can look at the "stats" and try to make them seem parallel but you have to remember that there were no "true" rookies in Joergers rotations ever.  Calathes was the only "rookie" but he was a 4 year Euroleague vet and same with JaMychal.  

Joerger didn't play Tony Wroten, who's out of the league. Jordan Adams wasn't played. He's out of the league too. What rookie did Joerger have that he could have played? The draft picks have sucked. I'm sorry but this was the best draft the Grizzlies have had in years and all three of the picks are either in Europe or the D-League. Harrison spent a year in the D-League before coming up.  

In the 2014-15 season I referenced Joerger played Stokes (19 games), Adams (30 games), Calathes (58 games), JaMychal Green (24 games despite not being picked up until after the trade deadline), Jon Leuer (63 games) and even Russ Smith (12 games). He did play people on rookie contracts. 

Fiz is already "developing" Harrison and if Davis wasn't always hurt he would already be in rotation too.  Joerger didn't do that. Even Kings fans are starting to take notice. 

You are making two huge assumptions I am not making. Davis has played in 24 games and is averaging 7.4 MPG with Brandon Wright and Chandler Parsons were healthy. Fizdale wants to replace Harrison if he could only find someone capable. Once again what you call developing I see as an act of desperation. If Fizdale had Wright and Parsons and now Green Davis would be in the D-League with Martin, Baldwin and Williams. Fizdale isn't playing them at the expense of veterans. He's playing them because he doesn't have veterans to play instead. 

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/12/15/13968228/sacramento-kings-dave-joerger-doesnt-trust-rookies

Dave Joerger on the play of his 2 Reno call-up rookies tonight, "I don't know. We were losing by so much, it's not something I looked at."

"Dave Joerger doesn’t trust rookies. He’d rather play Matt Barnes 21 minutes in a blowout. Or give 35 minutes to Anthony Tolliver."

Dave Joerger doesn’t need to worry about his job this year. Probably not next year either. But if he fails to develop young players in a team that is trying to rebuild its competency, eventually it will hurt him. It will hurt him as much as he fears he’ll be hurt by trusting rookies.

Sacramento is a game and a half out of the playoffs. That's a lot closer than they have been in years. Clearly he's doing something better than his predecessors. 

Just how did Fizz play Toney Douglas over Harrison?  During the time that Douglas was on the team Douglas averaged 17 minutes per game while during the same span Harrison averaged 29 minutes per game.  Douglas got minutes more than Harrison in one game.

Just thought you were one of these people that wants a backup PG for the playoffs when we have no shot at winning in the playoffs. My bad!

Not at all. I'm just pointing out that Fizdale isn't playing the young guys and is actually using the D-League more than his predessor yet none of the former critics are complaining now.

Not at all. I'm just pointing out that Fizdale isn't playing the young guys and is actually using the D-League more than his predessor yet none of the former critics are complaining now.

Joerger was here for three seasons.  Fizzdale has only been here for forty some games.  If you can't see the difference in the playing time that the young players have gotten under Fizzdale as opposed to Joerger then you just aren't watching.

The "critics" in an ideal world just wanted the young guys to get a chance. If they atruggled it was ok if their time diminished as the season heats up. They now have experience for next year and some hope that they will be able to play if they put in the work. That is the goal.

This really has nothing to do with the thread, but Dave collapsed to a knee tonight during the Spurs game.

Although they said it was just from standing up to fast, after taking him to the locker room, he did not return to the sideline, so I'm guessing it was more than just standing up to fast since it happened in the first quarter.

I'm guessing exhaustion.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22244948/dave-joerger-sacramento-kings-ok-dizzy-spell-sideline

Dave is pregnant.

Really, I've dealt with dizzy spells before. They are a bit scary but are usually harmless. Flying around the country and the time would definitely trigger it for me.