Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

According To Marc Stein, The Grizzlies Game Didn't Even Matter

From his rankings:

The Dubs were spectacular with their ball movement in the game that mattered most, shredding the Clippers despite the fact that they didn't even shoot the 3 well that night. So perspective is badly needed if you're in the mood to make too much about what happened in Memphis.

​Basically he is saying that the dubs didn't care what happened in Memphis, because they know Memphis aren't real challengers, but the clippers are. smh.

From his rankings:

The Dubs were spectacular with their ball movement in the game that mattered most, shredding the Clippers despite the fact that they didn't even shoot the 3 well that night. So perspective is badly needed if you're in the mood to make too much about what happened in Memphis.

​Basically he is saying that the dubs didn't care what happened in Memphis, because they know Memphis aren't real challengers, but the clippers are. smh.

I didn't take that from what he wrote at all. He simply said that the you shouldn't take too much from one game and I agree. If Cleveland falls to the Grizzlies even once it means a lot more. If Golden State loses again the next time they play it means more. One game simply isn't enough to make too many far reaching conclusions. 

I didn't take that from what he wrote at all. He simply said that the you shouldn't take too much from one game and I agree. If Cleveland falls to the Grizzlies even once it means a lot more. If Golden State loses again the next time they play it means more. One game simply isn't enough to make too many far reaching conclusions. 

I guess you didn't read this:

The Dubs were spectacular with their ball movement in the game that mattered most​

I guess you didn't read this:

The Dubs were spectacular with their ball movement in the game that mattered most​

I guess you don't understand that the Clippers are a divisional rival and winning the division is more important than beating a conference foe. 

I guess you don't understand that the Clippers are a divisional rival and winning the division is more important than beating a conference foe. 

I know clear about that. But you have to take everything he said in that sentence to see that he was infering that the grizzlies weren't a team on the dubs radar, nor should they be.

Had he mentioned the division rivalry between the clips, maybe you'd have a point. But just directly after him saying that the dubs won the game that mattered most. He said this:

So perspective is badly needed if you're in the mood to make too much about what happened in Memphis.

So he was making a comparison in the way that the dubs approached the game with the clippers and how they approached the game with the grizzlies.

IE: the game that mattered to them was the clippers game.

I know clear about that. But you have to take everything he said in that sentence to see that he was infering that the grizzlies weren't a team on the dubs radar, nor should they be.

Had he mentioned the division rivalry between the clips, maybe you'd have a point. But just directly after him saying that the dubs won the game that mattered most. He said this:

So perspective is badly needed if you're in the mood to make too much about what happened in Memphis.

So he was making a comparison in the way that the dubs approached the game with the clippers and how they approached the game with the grizzlies.

IE: the game that mattered to them was the clippers game.

If you want to find something to be upset about and feel slighted you can find it in many places it isn't intended. 

Yes the divisional game against a traditional rival meant more to them. It doesn't mean the Grizzlies are worthless and unimportant unless you just want to feel that way. the next 3 times the teams play I am sure there will be no excuses from Golden State. 

It was a great win for us, and just a bad loss for them, at the end of the year only the totals will really matter. It would be nice if we have to go to a tiebreaker with G.S. for playoff position, but I doubt it. We need to pile up wins, get the injured guys back, and keep these young guys going. This is a fun team to be a fan of.......the rest of the NBA world needs time to see it.

If you want to find something to be upset about and feel slighted you can find it in many places it isn't intended. 

Yes the divisional game against a traditional rival meant more to them. It doesn't mean the Grizzlies are worthless and unimportant unless you just want to feel that way. the next 3 times the teams play I am sure there will be no excuses from Golden State. 

Nobody is arguing that a divisional game means more. I am actually arguing that you don't seem to possess the basic reading comprehension skills to understand what was said and not said.

But of course you have the skills to understand the sentence fine. But you keep arguing points that nobody is questioning.

But congrats for derailing the thread and making it all about chip, like you always do.

mountains and molehills.  Someone needs an e-tissue.

I guess he forgot this was the KBM message board vice the teams fan page.

I agree, but the win was pretty decisive. This team was competitive with two of the top offensive teams in the league and only lost to Raptors in the 4th quarter. 

Nobody is arguing that a divisional game means more. I am actually arguing that you don't seem to possess the basic reading comprehension skills to understand what was said and not said.

But of course you have the skills to understand the sentence fine. But you keep arguing points that nobody is questioning.

But congrats for derailing the thread and making it all about chip, like you always do.

You really have a problem understanding that this isn't a major slight about the Grizzlies. It's a fact that the Warriors took their divisional rivals more intensely than they took the Grizzlies. Everyone understands that. Stein wrote it. It's not a big deal. Like I said from the start, this one game won't mean anything if the Grizzlies don't back it up with solid games against Cleveland. It won't mean anything if they don't play well the next time the Warriors come to town. It's just one fluke game if the team doesn't back it up. 

This is not about me. It's about understanding what Marc Stein said. The only way you can even suggest my comments have anything to do about me is if you are ultra sensitive to someone saying relax. Clearly you want to make a major deal out of something that isn't really a big deal at all. Stein ranked the Grizzlies in the top 10 in the league. He isn't slighting the Grizzlies at all. He simply restated what the Warriors themselves have been saying. They took the Grizzlies too lightly and they played a bad game. 

You really have a problem understanding that this isn't a major slight about the Grizzlies. It's a fact that the Warriors took their divisional rivals more intensely than they took the Grizzlies. Everyone understands that. Stein wrote it. It's not a big deal. Like I said from the start, this one game won't mean anything if the Grizzlies don't back it up with solid games against Cleveland. It won't mean anything if they don't play well the next time the Warriors come to town. It's just one fluke game if the team doesn't back it up. 

This is not about me. It's about understanding what Marc Stein said. The only way you can even suggest my comments have anything to do about me is if you are ultra sensitive to someone saying relax. Clearly you want to make a major deal out of something that isn't really a big deal at all. Stein ranked the Grizzlies in the top 10 in the league. He isn't slighting the Grizzlies at all. He simply restated what the Warriors themselves have been saying. They took the Grizzlies too lightly and they played a bad game. 

Okay, I'm just going to wave the white flag here. A guy that believes that the grizzlies were going to be no better than a 41-41 team, who one day after Mike Conley goes down with a major injury decides to bump a thread to basically say: I told you so, I was right, a guy who picked the grizzlies to go 4-7 with loss to New Orleans, both games to Cleveland, Portland, Golden State, Boston and @ Detroit: obviously has no perspective on reality.

And it doesn't matter how many people come in here to defend you either, chip. I don't care. You need to get a serious grip. Especially with choosing to say I told you so when Mike goes down. A sellar person, you are.

At least I like the grizzlies. I'm not sure what your motives are. 

I'm not going to attack you personally KBM. I'll just say relax and enjoy the win. You don't need to go out of your way to find enemies in the media or on the fans board. 

Here is what Marc Stein said by the way:

When they lose, they really l-o-s-e; three of the Warriors' four defeats to date came by 20 points or more after only two losses total in the 20s over the previous two seasons. Chances always were, however, that Golden State would have to endure at least one unsightly showing on such a compacted trip, which comes to an end Tuesday night in New Orleans after five games in seven days and nearly 6,000 air miles traveled in that span. The Dubs were spectacular with their ball movement in the game that mattered most, shredding the Clippers despite the fact that they didn't even shoot the 3 well that night. So perspective is badly needed if you're in the mood to make too much about what happened in Memphis.

This is the complete commentary about the Grizzlies in the same article:

Congrats to our old colleague John Hollinger, one of three Memphis front-office executives to receive a contract extension last week amid the injury-riddled Grizzlies' wholly unexpected 17-8 start. But I had to chuckle when I saw that the Grizz, before their 21-point pounding of the Warriors, had won the first five games of their winning streak by a combined total of 13 points, and have been living off their close-game success so far. Professor Hollinger and I used to have epic arguments at the proverbial office water cooler about how impressive (or random) the results of close games really were. Perhaps that tune can still change!

I don't feel Marc Stein tried to insult the Grizzlies with his comments. Maybe tease Hollinger a bit but in no way did I take from Stein's comments the feeling that "...The dubs didn't care what happened in Memphis, because they know Memphis aren't real challengers, but the Clippers are."

6th*... Did he change it?

It's 6th but we are up 5 spots from 11th. 

you guys will bicker about anything

who cares what media thinks? should other teams also care what marc stein says about their team? when has a media talking head's opinion ever figured into success of a team?

I agree with chip this wasn't a slight or he wouldn't have moved us up so much.

The Grizzlies game mattered. The Clippers game mattered more, Clippers were the team of the west for a bit and they destroyed them and possibly ended those talks. That was a huge game for them.

The Grizzlies game was just a phenomenal win for us, especially being short-handed. And a horrible loss for golden state, because we were short-handed and still stuck it to them.

I don't think he was taking anything away from that game. I would have the Spurs first though.

I'm not going to attack you personally KBM. I'll just say relax and enjoy the win. You don't need to go out of your way to find enemies in the media or on the fans board. 

Here is what Marc Stein said by the way:

This is the complete commentary about the Grizzlies in the same article:

I don't feel Marc Stein tried to insult the Grizzlies with his comments. Maybe tease Hollinger a bit but in no way did I take from Stein's comments the feeling that "...The dubs didn't care what happened in Memphis, because they know Memphis aren't real challengers, but the Clippers are."

Again, you seem to want to argue this to the bitter end. Showing his complete commentary doesn't fortify your position, it makes it worse.

For example, "Chances always were, however, that Golden State would have to endure at least one unsightly showing on such a compacted trip, which comes to an end Tuesday night in New Orleans after five games in seven days and nearly 6,000 air miles traveled in that span."

​Before you argue with me to the bitter end about this, take a step back and ask yourself, what is he saying here? Me, and this is just me, I take the whole 5 games in 7 nights and 6,000 miles comment were all meant to devalue what the grizzlies did, by pointing out the circumstances.

He is saying, relax, dubs were going to lose one.

In fact, his entire paragraph was meant to devalue the grizz win. First he does it by explaining the 5 games in 7 nights, next he says that the dubs won the game that mattered the most (the clippers game), then he ends his speech by saying, so if you think we can glen anything from that game that the grizzlies played, you need more perspective.

I don't see how you could not see it as a slight on the grizzlies, but that's just me.

You're correct. It's just you KBM. 

What was the purpose of adding the 5 games in 7 nights and 6,000 miles? Can you explain that?

Oh, I guess he was saying that the dubs knew that they would be worn out by the time that the grizzlies played them so they purposely took that game off because it wasn't a division game, so that they could be fresh to play the twolves and be able to protect their division lead.

Let Golden State have your excuses. It will only hurt them in the long run to never be held accountable

Can you imagine the backlash if the grizzlies beat Cleveland twice. Oh my god, the apocalypse would be less scary. I'm really just hoping for 1 win against Cleveland, but what if we get two.

And I'm also kinda tired of the whole expecting the grizzlies to maybe if we are lucky, get to the west finals. It is clear that Marc and Co. are ****** off, and that can only be good for us. So I welcome all the negative comments against the grizzlies.

The fact that I can post a slight on this board and get derailed is mindblowing to me. F-marc stein and espn. Don't give us credit. I don't care.