Sign in to follow this  
The_PROOF

My Problem With This "minute Restriction" Idea

I think that's part of the whole idea, TGH. Managing minutes against the lower tier teams so that you can afford to play them against top tier teams.

Ok well that makes sense and you seem correct. But like someone else said about working Parsons, Wright, and Tony back into the rotations; can he really afford this tumultuous approach knowing that we'll likely lose games because of that. Too many loses mount up and it could be a struggle making the playoffs.

I hope we give Fizz a chance to work these things out, he still has to implement Parsons, Tony , and Wright into the rotation. I for one don't see Tony and/or ZBo on this team at years end.......Zack is looking good off the bench though. We need a healthy team once the playoffs start.

You mean that you for one HOPE Tony and ZBO aren't on this team by year's end. You hope that because you have already given up hope that the grizzlies can be contenders, and your approach is all or bust.

I for one don't see the front office agreeing with what you hope. I believe Tony and Zbo will get extensions at the end of the year.

Fiz hasn't faced any contenders yet. An overhyped and overestimated t-wolves gave them a run for their money so to speak. Likewise, a confidence decimated Wizards team looked to finish them. These two teams are far from championship aspirations and yet both of those games could have went either way.

I want to see them pull that speed restriction stuff off against the Clips.

Joerger played our guys against non-contenders 40 mins a game.

Look at how that turned out.

Ok well that makes sense and you seem correct. But like someone else said about working Parsons, Wright, and Tony back into the rotations; can he really afford this tumultuous approach knowing that we'll likely lose games because of that. Too many loses mount up and it could be a struggle making the playoffs.

Yeah that is the only big concern of mine. I don't think that he is going to abuse it that much. He proved last night that he was willing to stretch the "minutes restriction" to play Gasol the last few minutes of the fourth and all of overtime to win the game. However, it did come down to a 3 late in the game just to tie to send it into overtime, so I certainly see your concern. It's one that I share as well.

As of the present, we are 2-1. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. I think though as long as we're able to rest them just enough to keep winning games, it will pay big dividends later on.

I will say that I like this approach much better than playing an aging core of guys 37+ minutes every night, only to end up with a bunch of players we picked up off the street in the 2nd half of last season.

Yeah that is the only big concern of mine. I don't think that he is going to abuse it that much. He proved last night that he was willing to stretch the "minutes restriction" to play Gasol the last few minutes of the fourth and all of overtime to win the game. However, it did come down to a 3 late in the game just to tie to send it into overtime, so I certainly see your concern. It's one that I share as well.

As of the present, we are 2-1. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. I think though as long as we're able to rest them just enough to keep winning games, it will pay big dividends later on.

I will say that I like this approach much better than playing an aging core of guys 37+ minutes every night, only to end up with a bunch of players we picked up off the street in the 2nd half of last season.

All good points, I have to say he seems to be on the way towards a direction totally on the opposite spectrum of Joerger; I can say that much. I think I need at least till January to see if it's truly effective though. But in my eyes his methods at least won't let Mike or Marc have any excuse not to lead this team deep into the playoffs assuming they're healthy and we actually make it.

You mean that you for one HOPE Tony and ZBO aren't on this team by year's end. You hope that because you have already given up hope that the grizzlies can be contenders, and your approach is all or bust.

I for one don't see the front office agreeing with what you hope. I believe Tony and Zbo will get extensions at the end of the year.

You are one whacked out dude, where have I said anything negative about this team? All I said was I hope we give the coach a chance to work out rotations. Also I said , I think the team will move one or both of these guys this year........not hope.

You are one whacked out dude, where have I said anything negative about this team? All I said was I hope we give the coach a chance to work out rotations. Also I said , I think the team will move one or both of these guys this year........not hope.

Oh, so you are thinking about this logically, not emtionally. So explain why, based on this season what gives you that impression: zbo's 28 per, the fact that fiz has declared tony to be the de facto starter at the 2 guard because, as he put it, he doesn't want parsons to have to chase around the other teams stars at the wing position and wear himself out.

I assumed that you meant HOPE rather than think, because nothing that Fiz has said, or these players have done could lead you to that conculsion, other than a pessimistic general view of the team's chances going forward.

You may not like me reading between the lines and putting words in your mouth, I understand. But that don't mean I'm wrong about it.

Fiz hasn't faced any contenders yet. An overhyped and overestimated t-wolves gave them a run for their money so to speak. Likewise, a confidence decimated Wizards team looked to finish them. These two teams are far from championship aspirations and yet both of those games could have went either way.

I want to see them pull that speed restriction stuff off against the Clips.

The Wizards and the Wolves are better than people give them credit for. They haven't been blown out by anyone this year so far and both teams will make the playoffs at the end of the season.  The Eastern Conference is stronger this year than it was last year.

I'm simply basing this on age and last year on contracts, its that simple. I also said Zack is playing good, no need to base my statement on what these guys have done this year. These two are all time great Griz players, but time is their enemy. It's a better chance I'm wrong than right, let me know when the season is over.

Yea, I think people need to realize Minnesota is a good team. Washington was decimated by injuries last year (similar to us). They should be a playoff team in the East once Wall is back to 100% after his surgery.

Us being 2-1 right now after playing 3 capable playoff teams this year is pretty good given our circumstances. Fizdale mentioned on Vernon's podcast that we are in a good spot considering what we're dealing with. No Parsons, Wright or TA. The fact that we are in these games with a depleted squad, the minute restrictions and a lot of new faces is pretty **** good.

Yea, I think people need to realize Minnesota is a good team. Washington was decimated by injuries last year (similar to us). They should be a playoff team in the East once Wall is back to 100% after his surgery.

Us being 2-1 right now after playing 3 capable playoff teams this year is pretty good given our circumstances. Fizdale mentioned on Vernon's podcast that we are in a good spot considering what we're dealing with. No Parsons, Wright or TA. The fact that we are in these games with a depleted squad, the minute restrictions and a lot of new faces is pretty **** good.

Exactly

People also need to remember that Minnesota has the longest streak of non-playoff teams in the NBA currently. Washington MAY have been a playoff team last season if not for the injuries but that has little relevance on this year's team since Nene is gone, Scottie Brooks is now their coach and they have a lot of new players and Wall may not be back to 100% yet. 

I am optimistic and hopeful but not going overboard about the team's start right now. The fact is they have lost on the road to the Knicks who many people think could be a playoff team this season but are in no way considered a lock, have fallen behind late to both Washington and Minnesota and haven't beaten anyone convincingly yet.

The Grizzlies are playing short-handed and IF they can GET healthy and AVOID injuries to key players they should be a solid middle of the Western Conference team and COULD be dangerous come playoff time.  

People also need to remember that Minnesota has the longest streak of non-playoff teams in the NBA currently. Washington MAY have been a playoff team last season if not for the injuries but that has little relevance on this year's team since Nene is gone, Scottie Brooks is now their coach and they have a lot of new players and Wall may not be back to 100% yet. 

I am optimistic and hopeful but not going overboard about the team's start right now. The fact is they have lost on the road to the Knicks who many people think could be a playoff team this season but are in no way considered a lock, have fallen behind late to both Washington and Minnesota and haven't beaten anyone convincingly yet.

The Grizzlies are playing short-handed and IF they can GET healthy and AVOID injuries to key players they should be a solid middle of the Western Conference team and COULD be dangerous come playoff time.  

It doesn't matter about their longest streak of missed playoff seasons. It really has nothing to do with where this team stands today considering the talent on the roster and they have probably a top 10 coach in the NBA. Many have them projected to make the playoffs (whether or not they do is another story). They shouldn't be taken lightly nor should a win against them shouldn't be considered a very good win because of their past. Considering they were healthy and we were depleted says a lot.

At the end of the day its still 3 games in. We also have a new coach, we have at least 4 new rotational players right now, a different system and Conley/Marc are on minute restrictions. Who's to say we aren't 3-0 if Fiz decided to play Conley/Marc 35+ minutes? I feel like that KNicks game was winnable, but the minute restrictions allowed our younger guards to play more during a crucial point in the game (after we cut the lead down). Not the ONLY reason we lost, but it was a very winnable game.

Expecting us to beat any of these teams convincingly right now is asking for a lot. I wouldn't have been surprised if we started out 0-3 or 1-2. We have a pretty tough schedule starting out and you had us going 4-6 to start the season (probably not knowing when TA and Parsons would be back). We can still go 4-6, but I'll say we are somewhat surpassing expectations. We have been underdogs in every single game. I would be more concerned if we were healthy and barely winning games. Or, like last year, healthy and getting blown out to pieces.

I agree, lets not go overboard about this team. A lot of pieces to put together still and its early. I'm enjoying this season, though. 

We're 2-1 without 2 starters and our 2 best players playing less minutes than they should.  I ain't mad atcha Fizz.

It doesn't matter about their longest streak of missed playoff seasons. It really has nothing to do with where this team stands today considering the talent on the roster and they have probably a top 10 coach in the NBA. Many have them projected to make the playoffs (whether or not they do is another story). They shouldn't be taken lightly nor should a win against them shouldn't be considered a very good win because of their past. Considering they were healthy and we were depleted says a lot.

At the end of the day its still 3 games in. We also have a new coach, we have at least 4 new rotational players right now, a different system and Conley/Marc are on minute restrictions. Who's to say we aren't 3-0 if Fiz decided to play Conley/Marc 35+ minutes? I feel like that KNicks game was winnable, but the minute restrictions allowed our younger guards to play more during a crucial point in the game (after we cut the lead down). Not the ONLY reason we lost, but it was a very winnable game.

Expecting us to beat any of these teams convincingly right now is asking for a lot. I wouldn't have been surprised if we started out 0-3 or 1-2. We have a pretty tough schedule starting out and you had us going 4-6 to start the season (probably not knowing when TA and Parsons would be back). We can still go 4-6, but I'll say we are somewhat surpassing expectations. We have been underdogs in every single game. I would be more concerned if we were healthy and barely winning games. Or, like last year, healthy and getting blown out to pieces.

I agree, lets not go overboard about this team. A lot of pieces to put together still and its early. I'm enjoying this season, though. 

Compared to the football season (I'm a Niners and Vols fan so pity me) this is the greatest start to an NBA season I can remember and it couldn't come at a better time. 

We're all good BHXMafia. I was just pointing out the opposing viewpoint not arguing (I'm saving that for GTF :lol:

Back on topic, I do support the early season minutes restriction since the Core 4 players aren't trying to establish chemistry between each other. That may change in a couple of weeks when Parsons joins the rotation but for now why burn up Gasol and Conley yet? Let Baldwin, Harrison, Martin, Davis maybe even Troy Daniels and Williams develop some chemistry with each other. It will only pay dividends down the road.  

We have players developing, and now we have people complaining. The last several years it was reversed. Playoff seating is important, but health is more important.......lets hope for both.

Nice try. Quit back peddling and man up! 

The Wizards and the Wolves are better than people give them credit for. They haven't been blown out by anyone this year so far and both teams will make the playoffs at the end of the season.  The Eastern Conference is stronger this year than it was last year.

The Wolves guard play is horrendous, Rubio is soo bad offensively that I don't think that team will make the playoffs because he nor Wiggins are closers. I don't care how many assist he dishes out.The Wizards don't particularly like playing with each other and seem to be an injury away from the outside looking in come post season. I don't think either team will make it.

It's okay to not get overly excited about the team right now while also recognizing and giving credit to Fizdale and the team when it is warranted.

Fiz is pushing all of the right buttons so far.

Marc was 10th in the league for total minutes played last year when he went down for the season.

Builds depth and keeps players healthy

losses games... But hey, having healthy players to watch the playoffs on TNT is an idea...

why don't we just sit the starters for the regular season and then have them healthy for the playoffs?