Sign in to follow this  
oldmanGrizz

Tony Allen Out Tonight

Tim MacMahon: Grizzlies SG Tony Allen (knee) will not play in the opener, coach David Fizdale said. “He’s not far away, but it’s not worth the risk for one game,” Fizdale said. Memphis will be without two starters against the Timberwolves with SF Chandler Parsons (knee) also out.
via ESPN

Carry over from last year. I'm not encouraged that TA gets injured in practice and Parsons is still recovering from an injury from last season. We may as well let them sit for the 1st month (include Marc as well) and take whatever happens before we put the real full team out there. 

Carry over from last year. I'm not encouraged that TA gets injured in practice and Parson is still recovering from an injury from last season. We may as well let them sit for e 1st month (include Marc as well) and take whatever happens before we put the real full team out there. 

I wouldn't be against this. I'm actually a little concerned about Fizz's influence (or lack thereof) over Marc. He pretty much said straight up that Marc would NOT play again in the preseason, but Marc did anyway. Who is calling the shots? Marc is going to play if he's ready or not.

I have a bad feeling that we could go through more players on our roster this year than we did last year.

I sincerely doubt that will be the case but I wouldn't be surprised if we are among the league leaders in games missed again. 

Like I said in another thread... If Allen doesn't play this will be our starting lineup/depth chart:

Conley/Harrison

Ennis/Daniels/Baldwin

Williams/Carter

Green/Randolph

Gasol/Davis

Ennis will be the starting 2 guard sooner rather than later...

I have a bad feeling that we could go through more players on our roster this year than we did last year.

We set a record last year. I don't see that happening again or at least I hope that lightning doesn't strike twice. 

Everyone better get used to seeing Andrew Harrison getting real minutes and starting till Tony comes back.   Personally i am fine with that for a couple of reasons.  

• This is real true blue authentic "player development" I have only been screaming for that for 6 years so I am not going to be a hypocrite about it now.  
  • He is 6'6' w/6'9' wingspan and built more like a SG than a PG and only 22yrs old.
  • His skill-set and defensive ability is basically allowing him to be a quasi-replacement for Parsons and Tony.  

Think of it this way.   Fizdale wants to play Conley more off the ball to allow him to score.  Pairing Conley with Ennis and Troy Williams or Daniels forces Conley to be the primary single ball-handler.   Harrison has the size and defensive ability to guard most SG's  and switchable onto PG SF guys (in theory).  Harrison also can run the PG to alleviate Mike for scoring purposes.    So by playing him at the 2 it allows James Ennis to just concentrate on spotting up for 3s, slashing, and play defense.     

Its' true that Baldwin can supply alot of the same qualities and is more impactful and the better player.  But i think Fizdale wants to keep Wade in his role as backup PG to ensure his development at PG.   Harrison's role will be the plug-in guy and used more as a combo guard to assist with ball-handling with either Conley or Wade.   The cool thing is that this role doesn't require him to be super talented guy to be effective at it.  

Once Parsons and Tony are back then Harrison's role will be minimized greatly.  In the meanwhile he is the best option we have at replicating those skills. 

Everyone better get used to seeing Andrew Harrison getting real minutes and starting till Tony comes back. Personally i am fine with that for a couple of reasons.

• This is real true blue authentic "player development" I have only been screaming for that for 6 years so I am not going to be a hypocrite about it now.
  • He is 6'6' w/6'9' wingspan and built more like a SG than a PG and only 22yrs old.
  • His skill-set and defensive ability is basically allowing him to be a quasi-replacement for Parsons and Tony.
Think of it this way. Fizdale wants to play Conley more off the ball to allow him to score. Pairing Conley with Ennis and Troy Williams or Daniels forces Conley to be the primary single ball-handler. Harrison has the size and defensive ability to guard most SG's and switchable onto PG SF guys (in theory). Harrison also can run the PG to alleviate Mike for scoring purposes. So by playing him at the 2 it allows James Ennis to just concentrate on spotting up for 3s, slashing, and play defense.

Its' true that Baldwin can supply alot of the same qualities and is more impactful and the better player. But i think Fizdale wants to keep Wade in his role as backup PG to ensure his development at PG. Harrison's role will be the plug-in guy and used more as a combo guard to assist with ball-handling with either Conley or Wade. The cool thing is that this role doesn't require him to be super talented guy to be effective at it.

Once Parsons and Tony are back then Harrison's role will be minimized greatly. In the meanwhile he is the best option we have at replicating those skills.

I wanted Born Ready to be that guy, he has more power and passion than Harrison. The only problemn with him is that he gets out control. I still wish FO got him and gave him one chance under Fizdale and we might have had the Pacers version of him

Everyone better get used to seeing Andrew Harrison getting real minutes and starting till Tony comes back.   Personally i am fine with that for a couple of reasons.  

Think of it this way.   Fizdale wants to play Conley more off the ball to allow him to score.  Pairing Conley with Ennis and Troy Williams or Daniels forces Conley to be the primary single ball-handler.   Harrison has the size and defensive ability to guard most SG's  and switchable onto PG SF guys (in theory).  Harrison also can run the PG to alleviate Mike for scoring purposes.    So by playing him at the 2 it allows James Ennis to just concentrate on spotting up for 3s, slashing, and play defense.     

Its' true that Baldwin can supply alot of the same qualities and is more impactful and the better player.  But i think Fizdale wants to keep Wade in his role as backup PG to ensure his development at PG.   Harrison's role will be the plug-in guy and used more as a combo guard to assist with ball-handling with either Conley or Wade.   The cool thing is that this role doesn't require him to be super talented guy to be effective at it.  

Once Parsons and Tony are back then Harrison's role will be minimized greatly.  In the meanwhile he is the best option we have at replicating those skills. 

I agree that we will see him until the others get healthy, but I think its more reliant on Parsons than TA. When Parsons return, having that other ball handler out there (Harrison) is less needed. Conley and Parsons will primarily handle the ball in the lineup. If Parsons return before TA, then we may see Ennis inserted into the SG spot (maybe even Troy Williams). I'm not sure if both TA and Parsons will return at the same time, but I think Harrison's role is dependent on Parsons and not TA. 

Even if TA returns before Parsons, its hard for me seeing both Harrison and TA starting considering that would defeat the purpose of true floor spacing. I'm not a believer in Harrison's jump shot right now. So, if TA returns, I could see him coming off the bench until Parsons gets back.

At this point, I'm just hoping to find 2 or 3 true NBA rotation guys this season between Baldwin, Davis, Harrison and Ennis. If we can somehow get all 4 to become that, then that's eve better.

if Fizz had Harrison playing 38 minutes because of his defense then TA is going to play a bunch minutes for sure- even at his advanced age TA can shut off any 2 guard's water

I agree that we will see him until the others get healthy, but I think its more reliant on Parsons than TA. When Parsons return, having that other ball handler out there (Harrison) is less needed. Conley and Parsons will primarily handle the ball in the lineup. If Parsons return before TA, then we may see Ennis inserted into the SG spot (maybe even Troy Williams). I'm not sure if both TA and Parsons will return at the same time, but I think Harrison's role is dependent on Parsons and not TA. 

Even if TA returns before Parsons, its hard for me seeing both Harrison and TA starting considering that would defeat the purpose of true floor spacing. I'm not a believer in Harrison's jump shot right now. So, if TA returns, I could see him coming off the bench until Parsons gets back.

At this point, I'm just hoping to find 2 or 3 true NBA rotation guys this season between Baldwin, Davis, Harrison and Ennis. If we can somehow get all 4 to become that, then that's eve better.

Yes i can agree with that.  I wonder how long Fizdale will be able to tolerate Tony's negative effect on floor spacing.   Harrison + TA would be a disaster for spacing.   Ennis + Harrison works because James is a proven 3pt threat now. 

Honestly with the way Baldwin already defends and potential defensive capability of Ennis and Troy Williams.  Once Harrison becomes a decent defender then Tony basically has no real role on the team.   

IMHO there is no real advantage to playing tony till parsons becomes available.     Now that Gasol is shooting 3s along with Parsons, Conley and JaM; they can afford to have tony on the court.   Basically he would be like the lone post player in the starting lineup.   He should just crash the boards and focus on defense and keep the ball moving. 

Yes i can agree with that.  I wonder how long Fizdale will be able to tolerate Tony's negative effect on floor spacing.   Harrison + TA would be a disaster for spacing.   Ennis + Harrison works because James is a proven 3pt threat now. 

Honestly with the way Baldwin already defends and potential defensive capability of Ennis and Troy Williams.  Once Harrison becomes a decent defender then Tony basically has no real role on the team.   

IMHO there is no real advantage to playing tony till parsons becomes available.     Now that Gasol is shooting 3s along with Parsons, Conley and JaM; they can afford to have tony on the court.   Basically he would be like the lone post player in the starting lineup.   He should just crash the boards and focus on defense and keep the ball moving. 

Yea, I think you have to keep TA out there with 4 other shooters. That's why he works in a the projected lineup with Conley / Parsons / Jam / Gasol . He should work with the bench unit as well if its Baldwin / TA / VC / Ennis / Zbo or some sort of athletic lineup. 

Check out how the Twolves played Bjelica last night at PF. I would be more than comfortable having TA and Ennis out ther eplaying the 3/4 with Zbo at the 5 against an Aldrich. It just works.

Could see something similar againts the Knicks on Saturday if everyone played. 

Yea, I think you have to keep TA out there with 4 other shooters. That's why he works in a the projected lineup with Conley / Parsons / Jam / Gasol . He should work with the bench unit as well if its Baldwin / TA / VC / Ennis / Zbo or some sort of athletic lineup. 

Check out how the Twolves played Bjelica last night at PF. I would be more than comfortable having TA and Ennis out ther eplaying the 3/4 with Zbo at the 5 against an Aldrich. It just works.

Could see something similar againts the Knicks on Saturday if everyone played. 

Basically if Tony is on the floor then you need a Stretch 4 to compliment him.   Well let's just hope his defensive energy is worth all the effort it takes to accommodate  him.