Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

2016-17 Grizz Roster Analysis

"Chris Herrington is one of the best (if not the best) Grizz writers out there. His views on the team always seem to be more so level headed than getting too up or too down on the team". ~ BHZMAFIA ~

^

Yes to this^

KBM will have you thinking the Grizz are in the same category as the MJ-Pippen-Phil led Bulls, Spurs dynasty and Lakers dynasty all in one. Then, he'll have you thinking our top 3 players are on the same level as the superstars that led these teams.

Chris Herrington is one of the best (if not the best) Grizz writers out there. His views on the team always seem to be more so level headed than getting too up or too down on the team.

no but there is one thing I do know I know that over the past three or four years that the Grizzlies have been as good or better than any team in the Western Conference. And that's all that really matters isn't it.

Y'all are the ones that act like that the NBA Western Conference Elite teams are like Jordan and the Bulls versus the Grizzlies who are more like the Washington generals compared to them take that as you will.

No team in the Western Conference has had as much bad luck as the Grizzlies.

Take the OKC Series. It took OKC winning the last two games of that series and not only that but having a favorable ruling against Zach, and Mike getting hurt to finally beat the Grizzlies in 7 games.

Are you going to really tell me that OKC because of their two superstars we're Head and Shoulders above the Grizzlies that series with a straight face?

How about the year that the Grizzlies beat the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs people want to talk about how manu was hurt and that was such an advantage for the Grizzlies but if Rudy plays then they probably actually would have beaten OKC and went to the finals that year. In my mind the Spurs and OKC got lucky at least they had their Stars playing.

What about the year when the Grizzlies lost to the Spurs in the finals and were swept. That year the Grizzlies were a victim of a front office change that led to the Spurs being able to double team Zach without worrying about Tony Allen.

The year before last the Grizzlies we're playing their best basketball and held the number two seed for nearly the entire season only the half Mike Conley bust his face in a freak injury. Who did that benefit but Golden State.

And yet to hear anybody from this board talk about it the Grizzlies are so lucky that Westbrook got injured and everything the Grizzlies have done was because of luck laughing out loud.

Please argue with me about this.

It's comical.

Chris Herrington imo is the absolute best when it comes to Grizz analysis and writing. You're out of your mind here.

You never know how things will change in 11 months, let alone 2 seasons. We are coming off an injury riddled season and signed a guy with an injury history. It could go to crap or we could like we are one player away from knocking off the Warriors.

No team in the Western Conference has had as much bad luck as the Grizzlies.

So, you're going to completely ignore OKC's bad luck? Since you mention our FO making a trade, how about OKC trading away James Harden after making the NBA Finals? How about Westbrook being injured? How about KD being out of the playoffs? This is a team that was destined to make more than just 1 NBA Finals appearance over the last 5 years, yet, they rarely went into the playoffs fully healthy. Even Ibaka was injured a few times.

Take the OKC Series. It took OKC winning the last two games of that series and not only that but having a favorable ruling against Zach, and Mike getting hurt to finally beat the Grizzlies in 7 games.

Are you going to really tell me that OKC because of their two superstars we're Head and Shoulders above the Grizzlies that series with a straight face?

Grizz played OKC tough in that series. But, you know what? Memphis had every opportunity to close that series out before a Game 7 was needed. We were up 2-1 and 3-2 in that series and you cannot use the "Zbo being suspended in Game 7" excuse considering we had several chances to put the series away. But, you are not going to mention Conley shooting 5-16 in the Game 4 loss, 2-10 in Game 6 loss or Zbo going 5-14 in Game 4. You won't mention those things because it goes against your view. If you're going to tell a story, tell the entire story. I think the Grizz should have and could have beat OKC, but don't blame Zbo's suspension. That's like Golden State blaming Draymond's suspension on why they lost to CLE in the Finals. Golden State still had every opportunity to close them out being up 3-1.

How about the year that the Grizzlies beat the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs people want to talk about how manu was hurt and that was such an advantage for the Grizzlies but if Rudy plays then they probably actually would have beaten OKC and went to the finals that year. In my mind the Spurs and OKC got lucky at least they had their Stars playing.

This is just a matter of opinion. The numbers show the Grizz were a better team WITHOUT Rudy. Maybe they ended up being better come playoff time than they already were. I just fail to realize how we see 2011 Zach Randolph playing at a MVP level with Rudy taking 25% of the possessions. Sure, we would've had more TALENT. But, would this team came together the same way during that playoff run? Maybe, maybe not. Its all opinion.

What about the year when the Grizzlies lost to the Spurs in the finals and were swept. That year the Grizzlies were a victim of a front office change that led to the Spurs being able to double team Zach without worrying about Tony Allen.

Read above. Plus, last I remember, Rudy didn't perform that well against the Spurs historically as a Grizz. Do we win a game or two? Possibly. Do we win the series because we didn't blow the team up? I doubt it.

The year before last the Grizzlies we're playing their best basketball and held the number two seed for nearly the entire season only the half Mike Conley bust his face in a freak injury. Who did that benefit but Golden State.

I believe this the only legitimate thing you have going for you. I'm one of the believers that if we remained healthy leaving the Portland series, we would've beat Golden State. We played them hard in the regular season and I just think we had the ability to defend them at a high level and win that series. Maybe we blow it like we did against OKC, though. Go up 2-1, then 3-2 and lose in 7. We've done it before. But, I do agree that it sucked that we lost Conley during that year because we did have a favorable schedule since the Clippers beat SAS in the 2nd round.

And yet to hear anybody from this board talk about it the Grizzlies are so lucky that Westbrook got injured and everything the Grizzlies have done was because of luck laughing out loud.

Please argue with me about this.

My argument to some of the things you say is more so of being patient. Understanding that we are not a team coming into the season with our 3 best players coming off career years or non injured seasons. Ignoring all of this is why I disagree with you on some of your views. If Marc returns to his career year form, Conley comes out on fire after his new contract and Parsons stays healthy, then YES I can see us making some noise. 

But, just stay calm. You just mentioned yourself we are one of the most unluckiest teams in the league. So, why not go into the season with a little caution? We looked terrible starting the year last season and we had a healthy roster (at least to our knowledge). Maybe we get to the trade deadline being the #2 seed and we are one player away from legit having a shot at winning it all. Maybe we get to the trade deadline and we are a low seeded playoff team that can't beat elite teams. 

My argument to some of the things you say is more so of being patient. Understanding that we are not a team coming into the season with our 3 best players coming off career years or non injured seasons. Ignoring all of this is why I disagree with you on some of your views. If Marc returns to his career year form, Conley comes out on fire after his new contract and Parsons stays healthy, then YES I can see us making some noise. 

But, just stay calm. You just mentioned yourself we are one of the most unluckiest teams in the league. So, why not go into the season with a little caution? We looked terrible starting the year last season and we had a healthy roster (at least to our knowledge). Maybe we get to the trade deadline being the #2 seed and we are one player away from legit having a shot at winning it all. Maybe we get to the trade deadline and we are a low seeded playoff team that can't beat elite teams. 

I also forgot to mention that it took the OKC media calling Durant Mr. Unreliable as well. lol. But my point was that the grizzlies were not that far behind that team, if they were at all. It took a lot of stuff happening for OKC to finally win that series.

Anyway, I just hope that Fizdale knows how to manage this group better to go into the playoffs healthy. If the spurs can do it with their core of geratric players, surely the grizzlies can get some luck for once, and just see how everything pans out after that.

Not to the casual fan. Wait and see what happens to fan interest going multiple years of winning an average of 20ish games a year.

Funny how some want to go the route of wishing to get lucky in the draft having seen what has happened in a short amount of time to the Oklahoma City Thunder. Durant bolted from a bonafide title contending team. What do you think would happen in Memphis?

Start the same cycle over and over again. No thank you.

I respect your disposition but I think it all goes back to whether your fine with simply making it the playoffs or not, which in my opinion is the ceiling for this team. They paid non-superstars superstar money for goodness sakes that alone had my head rolling. I don't care much about the draft I would rather see up-incoming guys like Jam Green get their chances to blossom without the core 4 overshadowing their potential to lead for the future.

I respect your disposition but I think it all goes back to whether your fine with simply making it the playoffs or not, which in my opinion is the ceiling for this team. They paid non-superstars superstar money for goodness sakes that alone had my head rolling. I don't care much about the draft I would rather see up-incoming guys like Jam Green get their chances to blossom without the core 4 overshadowing their potential to lead for the future.

Sucks for you I guess

Chris Herrington wrote 3000 words that boils down to this: this team is still too old and injury prone to do anything. I guess that's why the board loves him so much, because he is all too-willing to dash cold water on hope.

He doesn't KNOW that Zach won't be as good as he was in 2011, but it's an easy conclusion to draw. Look, Zach is old, so therefore he's not going to be as good. Period, the end.

Then he talks about how the grizzlies are coming off injuries to Marc, Mike and Chandler. You know who else is coming off injury? Anthony Davis. Somehow I doubt that if it were Anthony Davis or KD he was talking about that injury wouldn't even be a consideration. But it is not them (who by the way had worse injuries than Marc's), it is Marc Gasol, so it gives him (herrington) liberty to be pessimistic.

It's comical.

To be fair i dont see it reading quite like that, there is justifiable concerns regarding the rehab of injuries plaguing our most important players, but he did say the upside is huge if these come good and pointed to that ESPN article rating us which spells it out more overtly.

For a board that seems content with just making the playoffs for 6 years straight I think the leadership Tayshaun brought was unprecedented and undervalued. He lead the core 4 to its peak against the Spurs in the WCF in the 12-13 season that in essence proved that Mike, Mark, Tony, and Z-Bo can't take this team to the next level; and yet they are still here. Even with Prince's horrible offense his defense negated that enough for one of those guys to step up and lead this team to at least one victory. I think some people's championship aspirations for this team is unheralded and quite frankly absurd. I think fans should recognize that the starting line-up with Tayshaun was the best in franchise history and still will be at the end of this upcoming season.

Are you a professional politician or PR guy? Seriously, the angles of spin you come out with, that no one else sees, and how most if not all fail to eventuate equals one thing:

BS

Jam will get plenty of time on the floor this season to continue to grow and develop. Once he proves that he is capable of filling a starter position, he will get his opportunity. Zbo is not going to be around much longer. Any PF on this roster has the opportunity to compete for the starters job even this year, but certainly in the near future.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with MAXing out Conley/Gasol/Parsons guaranteeing the playoffs and keeping fan interest, while also developing guys like Jam, Baldwin, Davis, Ennis, Harrison, hopefully Adams, etc. And now we have a coach who is going to be willing to throw them in the fire and see what they've got. Those guys will have ample opportunities to produce. Hell, Fizdale is content with either Harrison and/or Baldwin being the primary backup PG for this team. What makes more sense...throwing one of those guys in the fire as the starting PG, or keeping Conley for another few years while one or both of those guys mature into a potential starter. Conley's deal and Baldwin's rookie deal will expire pretty close to each other. We might have a successor in place.

You and I both agree that we should start a youth movement. We just disagree on the method. I think it would be foolish to trade everyone, scrap the entire team and become the new Philadelphia 76ers for 3-4 years. Minimum. However, I find it perfectly plausible to add youth to the roster, which we have already done this offseason by thee way, while also keeping playoff veterans who will provide a winning environment for these young guys to blossom.

The Spurs were on the decline several years ago with an aging core of Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. Did they scrap the team and start from the beginning? No. They acquired young talents like Kawhi Leonard and put them around that aging core.

This is the best course of action. Now, I am in no way implying that our talent is anywhere comparable to what the Spurs had nor am I trying to portray the two situations as exactly similar. But the method they used was the correct one, and I would like to see the Grizzlies continue to follow that model.

Remaining playoff competitive while also developing young talent. It's just logical.

I just need us to have our pick and be in the lottery when DJ Jeffries declares. We are on target.

I hear there's a two-year-old in Tuscaloosa who has unusually long arms and was jumping at 13 months. 

Let's see, which draft will that be? 

Jam will get plenty of time on the floor this season to continue to grow and develop. Once he proves that he is capable of filling a starter position, he will get his opportunity. Zbo is not going to be around much longer. Any PF on this roster has the opportunity to compete for the starters job even this year, but certainly in the near future.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with MAXing out Conley/Gasol/Parsons guaranteeing the playoffs and keeping fan interest, while also developing guys like Jam, Baldwin, Davis, Ennis, Harrison, hopefully Adams, etc. And now we have a coach who is going to be willing to throw them in the fire and see what they've got. Those guys will have ample opportunities to produce. Hell, Fizdale is content with either Harrison and/or Baldwin being the primary backup PG for this team. What makes more sense...throwing one of those guys in the fire as the starting PG, or keeping Conley for another few years while one or both of those guys mature into a potential starter. Conley's deal and Baldwin's rookie deal will expire pretty close to each other. We might have a successor in place.

You and I both agree that we should start a youth movement. We just disagree on the method. I think it would be foolish to trade everyone, scrap the entire team and become the new Philadelphia 76ers for 3-4 years. Minimum. However, I find it perfectly plausible to add youth to the roster, which we have already done this offseason by thee way, while also keeping playoff veterans who will provide a winning environment for these young guys to blossom.

The Spurs were on the decline several years ago with an aging core of Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. Did they scrap the team and start from the beginning? No. They acquired young talents like Kawhi Leonard and put them around that aging core.

This is the best course of action. Now, I am in no way implying that our talent is anywhere comparable to what the Spurs had nor am I trying to portray the two situations as exactly similar. But the method they used was the correct one, and I would like to see the Grizzlies continue to follow that model.

Remaining playoff competitive while also developing young talent. It's just logical.

I said in another thread that I didn't believe they would even make the playoffs winning less than 40 games. There a few factors that I can use to support my hypothesis. The core four in general have seemed to be injury prone, Wright, VC, Adams, and now Parsons. No legit back-up pg nor center. We don't know how Mike and Marc are going to perform coming of season ending surgeries. A new coach that in my opinion may be worried about being friends with players other than holding guys accountable for the crap like Dave had to put up with.

I see people's hopes blowing up in their faces when this team struggles and falls apart because of inexperienced coaching staff and a core of tired over-valued highly decorated role players faiis to get it done. No, I don't think we should trade everyone but I believe the idea that Mike, Tony, Z-Bo, and Marc should be on the same team has long been exhausted. I mean really, we have no back-up sg. All this time what player behind TA has he mentored that has been nurtured into being a top prospect after he's gone?

I'm not sure I can see both Wright and JaM on the team come January. If Davis stays healthy and performs behind Marc, Wright is definitely going to get significant PF minutes off the bench. There is no room left for Green if that happens.

Most important thing Fizdale needs to accomplish is develop the talent enough to have a legit solid 9 man rotation.

Currently we only have

1. mike
  2. tony
  3. chandler
  4. marc
  5. zbo
  6. brandan

That are talented enough and experienced enough to count on as plus contributors(if healthy) in a playoff series.  Rest of the roster is full of young NBA guys and rookies.   

The question is can some of the young guys make a leap to becoming a legit contributor.   The candidates i believe can make the leap are.

1. Daniels - already has some playoff experience and is a proven shooter
  2. JaMychal - hustle play and motor always translates
  3. Tony Wroten (assuming he is back)  - ability to play point and defend multiple positions can get him playtime
  4. Ennis - We need 2way players and he projects to be that plus already knows Fizdale from time in MIA
  5. Jarrell - can he build on his good play from the end of last year.
  6. Baldwin - defensive versatility and size plus be #17 should ensure he gets development time. 

We only need 3 of those guys to show promise for us to have a legit 9 man rotation. 

I for one personally do not believe the Grizz will ever win a title with Mike or either of the core 4 at the helm

Personally, our 2010-2012 teams had the best chance to win it all.

I said in another thread that I didn't believe they would even make the playoffs winning less than 40 games. There a few factors that I can use to support my hypothesis. The core four in general have seemed to be injury prone, Wright, VC, Adams, and now Parsons. No legit back-up pg nor center. We don't know how Mike and Marc are going to perform coming of season ending surgeries. A new coach that in my opinion may be worried about being friends with players other than holding guys accountable for the crap like Dave had to put up with.

I see people's hopes blowing up in their faces when this team struggles and falls apart because of inexperienced coaching staff and a core of tired over-valued highly decorated role players faiis to get it done. No, I don't think we should trade everyone but I believe the idea that Mike, Tony, Z-Bo, and Marc should be on the same team has long been exhausted. I mean really, we have no back-up sg. All this time what player behind TA has he mentored that has been nurtured into being a top prospect after he's gone?

The injury concern is the best defense that you have. It is certainly a legitimate concern, because if we have the same luck next season as we did this past season, you could be absolutely right.  But even in that case, you will have young guys moving into prominent roles and being put in a position to have the opportunity to produce. But assuming health, we will be fine.

Joerger was a rookie head coach that led us to 50+ wins and the playoffs in his first year. I don't think the so called inexperience is going to hinder Fizdale's ability to get the most out of this team.

I'm not sure where you are coming up with this crazy idea that Fizdale won't hold the guys accountable the way he needs to. He has been around a winning culture for the past 8 years in Miami and dealt with just about any type of ego you will come across. I don't think that him wanting to be friends with everyone is going to get in the way of him doing his job and ultimately keeping his job. I don't even know where in the world this is coming from. He has seen what a functional environment is like, and I think he is more than capable of instilling it for this team.

The entire premise for your view seems to be predicated on the idea that the Grizzlies will miss the playoffs and not win 40 games. Them "tired overvalued highly decorated role players" have been making the playoffs for 6 years now. History isn't on your side.

Personally, our 2010-2012 teams had the best chance to win it all.

But Rudy didn't play in the 11 playoffs which arguably he probably would have been the difference in that Thunder series. Zach had been injured for most of the following season. Season after that I think we all know Tayshaun was that guy for this team just nobody else was able to be that go to guy we needed to challenge SA.

The injury concern is the best defense that you have. It is certainly a legitimate concern, because if we have the same luck next season as we did this past season, you could be absolutely right.  But even in that case, you will have young guys moving into prominent roles and being put in a position to have the opportunity to produce. But assuming health, we will be fine.

Joerger was a rookie head coach that led us to 50+ wins and the playoffs in his first year. I don't think the so called inexperience is going to hinder Fizdale's ability to get the most out of this team.

I'm not sure where you are coming up with this crazy idea that Fizdale won't hold the guys accountable the way he needs to. He has been around a winning culture for the past 8 years in Miami and dealt with just about any type of ego you will come across. I don't think that him wanting to be friends with everyone is going to get in the way of him doing his job and ultimately keeping his job. I don't even know where in the world this is coming from. He has seen what a functional environment is like, and I think he is more than capable of instilling it for this team.

The entire premise for your view seems to be predicated on the idea that the Grizzlies will miss the playoffs and not win 40 games. Them "tired overvalued highly decorated role players" have been making the playoffs for 6 years now. History isn't on your side.

Are you saying that If we happen to fall into the same predicament as last season these very young unproven players will still be able to carry this team? I was really implying that the core 4 is overvalued in terms of their chances of winning this team a title. Only time will tell for Fizdale, I believe I have a pretty good idea on why he hasn't took the job as a head coach after 8 or how ever many years.

Are you saying that If we happen to fall into the same predicament as last season these very young unproven players will still be able to carry this team? I was really implying that the core 4 is overvalued in terms of their chances of winning this team a title. Only time will tell for Fizdale, I believe I have a pretty good idea on why he hasn't took the job as a head coach after 8 or how ever many years.

Heaven knows someone who takes almost a decade to go from assistant coach to head coach can't possibly be a good head coach.

gregg-popovich-amused-gif.gif

Heaven knows someone who takes almost a decade to go from assistant coach to head coach can't possibly be a good head coach.

gregg-popovich-amused-gif.gif

should i get some ice for the guy?

But Rudy didn't play in the 11 playoffs which arguably he probably would have been the difference in that Thunder series. Zach had been injured for most of the following season. Season after that I think we all know Tayshaun was that guy for this team just nobody else was able to be that go to guy we needed to challenge SA.

Of course, I'm barring injuries in the discussion. 

And also considering the West then, we didn't have the Dubs as good as they are now.

Since we are roughly a quarter into the season, I thought it would be nice to revisit this analysis. We ended up siging an undrafted FA named Troy Williams. . In the words of the illustrious immortal Slick Rick “so heeeeeeeerre we go”:

Roster Analysis

Starters

The starting lineup has been fluid due to injury (yet again), but I think this will be the starting lineup when healthy:

·       PG- Michael Conley, Jr: Transverse process fracture. Please repeat after me. I’ll say this, I think he was living up to his contract right at 20 ppg and 7 apg. I think there was a good chance that coaches were going to slide him into the ASG this year

·       SG- Tony Allen: Best option at this point in time. Still the best option to start at SG

·       SF- Chandler Parsons:  For now, I will still hold out hope that he will be healthy for the remainder of the season after the All Star break. He can help this team tremendously with his shooting and ball movement when healthy

·       PF- Zach Randolph JaMychal Green: He’s done an okay job filling in as a starter with 9.5 ppg and 7 boards. He has a relatively low PER for a big and his athleticism hasn’t translated into blocks or protecting the rim. I think he will be more useful when we have a legit scorer at the 3.

·       C- Marc Gasol: Playing really well, racked up a triple double. I am concerned that his rebounding has dipped while he’s taking more outside shots. I get it, the nature of the team is changing but overall has rebounded nicely (pun intended) after injury

I think if this unit can ever get healthy, it will be one of the most efficient starting lineups in the league. You basically have 3 scorers at the PG, SF and C spot and then the in-between guys are there more for defense and finishing which I think is a nice balance.

Bench

Guards

·       Jordan Adams- Waived

·       Wade Baldwin- Probably could use a couple of more stints in the D-League. I like his energy but he needs to learn how to control that energy and turn it into a positive on the court. Has a lot to work on if he’s going to play PG and really needs to cut down on his turnovers

·       Troy Daniels- I suspect he will be up and down all season and once the main rotation players come back, he will have a lesser role. He has shown he can be on fire for stretches, I think the question is, once most of the players get back, can he come in and heat it up in limited minutes.

·       Andrew Harrison- I won’t lie, I’ve never really liked this guy as a player.

·       Wayne Selden, Jr.- D-League

·       Tony Wroten- Waived

·       Toney Douglass- We’ll see how he progresses and if he can help the team. I think it’ll take him a couple of weeks to get settled in

Forwards

·       Vince Carter- VC was having a bit of a resurgence averaging almost 10 ppg and 4 rpg before an old man hip injury. Healthy Vince was good to see although his 3 pt shot wasn’t falling. I can see him being traded back to TOR or ORL as a farewell near the trade deadline if this is his last season

·       Deyonta Davis- If Wright ever gets healthy; I expect to see DD in the D-League at some point. He does seem to have a nose for the ball and getting blocks. He’s really young, just need some experience. This isn’t his season to be a contributor.

·       James Ennis- He’s averaging 9 ppg which is right at the 8-10 that I said I would be happy about so I’m happy. He can bring energy and athleticism. I prefer to see him come off of the bench

·       JaMychal Green Zach Randolph- Z-Bo has been a pro being demoted to the bench and still contributing at a good rate with 14 ppg, 8 boards and a PER of 20. Helps to balance the scoring and give the bench some production

·        Jarell Martin- Has shown some athleticism and versatility. He’s practically a rook so I won’t critique too much.

·       Troy Williams- Good athleticism, high motor, willing to help. I think similar to Baldwin; he needs to learn how to channel his energy into positive output on the court. Nice late addition. Needs to get that 3 pt percentage up. I think he could help tremendously if he could be consistent from 3. 

·       Brandan Wright- Not surprised. If he doesn’t come back after the All Star break, they need to let him go. That would be almost 2 years of a 3 year contract with him not playing. If healthy, he can really help this team. Will he ever be healthy?

First 3 off of the bench: Z-Bo, Ennis/Carter and Harrison

D-League time: I expect to see Harrison, Davis, Martin,  Williams and Baldwin in the D-League at some point next season.

Likely to be Traded: At this point, I’d be surprised if anyone is traded this season. I think if VC retires, they may ceremonially trade him to an old team ORL/TOR. Other than that, if they make a move, I think it would be waiving Wright due to injury

Overall: The team is 15-8 and once again dealing with injuries to key players. For the most part, they have been able to keep winning. I think if they can get through this rough stretch in December and have Mike return in mid-January, the team will be poised to have a couple of big winning streaks down the stretch and end up around the 4-5 slot in the West.