Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

How Will The Team Address Shooting Guard/small Forward?

What can the grizzlies realistically do? Will they offer a contract to Barnes/Batum/Crabbe, or will they make a trade Wright, Green, Martin or something?

I think a trade would be more realistic, but for who?

Tillery said this morning that CWallace wants to keep Lance onboard.  Since Chris is now the "shotcaller" i expect Lance to be back.   Cam Rose has been saying for a while that Fizdale also wants to keep Lance.   All signs point to Andrew Harrison being added to the roster too and he has the size to play either guard spot and so does Wade.  Tony is a SG.   Long story short Shooting guard will not be a position targeted in FA. 

What we don't have is any true SF's on the roster so i imagine we are going to throw some money at legit SF's.  Harrison Barnes, Solomon Hill, Maurice Harkless, Lance Thomas, and Nicolas Batum are the likely targets.   I see CWallace going hard after Nicolas Batum then Harrison Barnes and we end up with Solomon Hill or Lance Thomas.

Other guys we may end up with that would be disappointments are Joe Johnson, Jared Dudley, Vince Carter, Matt Barnes. Guys that I would be neutral on are Luol Deng, Marvin Williams at this point they are both better as PF's.   Heck no to Jeff Green. 

Trade-wise the only guy i believe we are targeting is Shabazz Muhummad.   But guys like Tony Snell or PJ Tucker would probably be obtainable. 

Basically nobody we can get will legitimately move the needle for us to becoming a contender.    

It really really sucks that we didn't give James Ennis a chance last season.  At the very least he would've been a solid backup SF.   Now we will potentially have to overpay for guys who basically project to have the same type of team impact that he could have.  Thanks alot Joerger! 

I understand what you're saying but ideally speaking Tony Allen is not a great fit in the starting lineup at shooting guard and neither is Lance Stephenson and Harrison is too green so it's going to be a problem.

I know you want Lance to start but really he doesn't know how to run plays for anybody except himself which is not good for this team

I know you want Lance to start but really he doesn't know how to run plays for anybody except himself which is not good for this team

He might surprise you if Fiz can work with him, and he get a full offseason/training camp/preseason to learn.

I understand what you're saying but ideally speaking Tony Allen is not a great fit in the starting lineup at shooting guard and neither is Lance Stephenson and Harrison is too green so it's going to be a problem.

Lance was the primary facilitator for the Indy team that went to the ECF.  I mean seriously have you ever watched him play before?   Joerger TOLD Lance to focus only on scoring and he did that successfully.   But he is a more natural playmaker than a scorer.  Lance has stated the he is working on playing off-ball this summer and has shed weight to be more explosive. 

Mike has said on numerous occasions he want's a secondary ball-handler and dynamic scorer with him.    Lance possesses exactly those qualities.  What is the problem?

My expectations are:

SGs - Allen, Baldwin (combo guard), Adams (DNP - Season) 

Potential addition - Eric Gordon

SFs - Stephenson, Carter, DJ Stephens

read the title and then quickly looked at the date..

sadly, this thread could be several years old and counting.

good question then, good question now.

slim.

Lance was the primary facilitator for the Indy team that went to the ECF. I mean seriously have you ever watched him play before? Joerger TOLD Lance to focus only on scoring and he did that successfully. But he is a more natural playmaker than a scorer. Lance has stated the he is working on playing off-ball this summer and has shed weight to be more explosive.

Mike has said on numerous occasions he want's a secondary ball-handler and dynamic scorer with him. Lance possesses exactly those qualities. What is the problem?

Lance in the best of circumstances can be oue jamal Crawford trying to do more than that with him would be like putting a square peg in a round hole

Lance was the primary facilitator for the Indy team that went to the ECF.  I mean seriously have you ever watched him play before?   Joerger TOLD Lance to focus only on scoring and he did that successfully.   But he is a more natural playmaker than a scorer.  Lance has stated the he is working on playing off-ball this summer and has shed weight to be more explosive. 

Mike has said on numerous occasions he want's a secondary ball-handler and dynamic scorer with him.    Lance possesses exactly those qualities.  What is the problem?

I hate Stevenson. He sucks. He has had one okay season and one really good season, but mostly he's been crap. LAC wouldn't even play him and they've had a shallow bench for years. He's actually a terrible ball handler b/c all he does is stagnate offense when he takes 8 seconds to get off a wild low-% shot. He isn't a natural playmaker. He only plays for himself. He will only drop the ball off when he can't get his own, which is usu. after 8 seconds of wild dribble moves that go nowhere. He's soo selfish, that he doesn't even realize he's being selfish so you can't talk him out of it. He's a head case.

I hate Stevenson. He sucks. He has had one okay season and one really good season, but mostly he's been crap. LAC wouldn't even play him and they've had a shallow bench for years. He's actually a terrible ball handler b/c all he does is stagnate offense when he takes 8 seconds to get off a wild low-% shot. He isn't a natural playmaker. He only plays for himself. He will only drop the ball off when he can't get his own, which is usu. after 8 seconds of wild dribble moves that go nowhere. He's soo selfish, that he doesn't even realize he's being selfish so you can't talk him out of it. He's a head case.

Are you a fan of Kyrie Irving?  

Honestly we need to find a way to get any 2 of these guys...

Parsons, Batum, Barnes, Clarkson, Bazemore, Fornier, Crabbe.  Probably will not happen.  1 of them would be nice.  

You better than that, GTF. ;)

LOL  

Just pointing out that some of the same criticisms he was using against Lance.  Are the same criticisms levied against majority of talented scorer types.   Harden, Westbrook, Kyrie, Derozan, all of them get those same knocks. 

The key is always how do you use a weapon like that not just totally discarding him.   Lance was legit good for us last year.  

My expectations are:

SGs - Allen, Baldwin (combo guard), Adams (DNP - Season) 

Potential addition - Eric Gordon

SFs - Stephenson, Carter, DJ Stephens

Get excited.

Realgm has a piece on Parsons looking for a max contract and Dallas not wanting to pay... I like Parsons a lot but wouldn't want to pay max money... What do you guys feel he is worth?

I would add starting power forward to the list of positions the team needs to address to be competitive.

5DYZKA7.jpg.gif

Realgm has a piece on Parsons looking for a max contract and Dallas not wanting to pay... I like Parsons a lot but wouldn't want to pay max money... What do you guys feel he is worth?

He is another guy that is a solid complimentary player but not the Alpha we need.  I wouldn't want to Max him either. 

Parsons, Batum, Barnes, Clarkson, Bazemore, Fornier, Crabbe.  Probably will not happen.  1 of them would be nice.  

I can go with what you say above.

And I would trade T.A. and send Verno to Siberia.

And neither is the likely scenario. ;)

Lance in the best of circumstances can be oue jamal Crawford trying to do more than that with him would be like putting a square peg in a round hole

I thought this was the best use for Lance as well.

Jamal Crawford is a killer for the clippers when he as the ball and that occurs mostly with their 2nd unit.

Lance could be the same for us. Allow him to be the primary focus with the 2nd unit and score at will. He could also make plays for those guys as well.

Then like Crawford use him to close out games with the starters on the offense/defense subs with TA.

I don't think he is going to be able to consistently co-exist on the floor with Marc "play the right way" Gasol.

I would add starting power forward to the list of positions the team needs to address to be competitive.

I actually agree with you.