Sign in to follow this  
tennesseessio

Grade The Draft

Since i know nothing about these guys, i'm just on a wait and see approach.  Didn't really like giving up that first round pick, but after looking at the details, it was like a 50/50 chance we got it anyways.  In the future, we need to value first round picks better, because the current situation that no one wants to address really hampers us getting some top level free agents.  It's not like being a small market isn't tough enough. 

Time to stand up to the nba or remain their *****.  I'd rather do the first option.

don't know if it's been posted, but saw this on Wang's draftexpress profile.

DraftExpress: RT @johnhollinger: World wins 84-75. In terms of draft stock, guy who helped himself most was Chinese center Wang Zhelin. 8-11 FG, 19 pt ...

2012-04-08 12:38:22

You can watch the actual game footage on YT. Sadly, it isn't impressive. He looks like a stiff, slow plodder who happens to have some size (relative to the high school version of Noel et al. he was playing against) and touch around the basket. I compare him to softer version of Fesenko who had a short career w/ Utah.

I just hope they develop Baldwin into a scoring combo guard and not a Conley clone. He does not have the skillset.

At best, i could see him being a Courtney Lee type. I'd be more than happy if he turned into that.

Tony Wroten comparison was weak. Dejounte Murray is more like Wroten. Though I compared Baldwin to Mookie Blaylock, I think he is similar to Deron Williams in a lot of ways, an overpowering pg with a bread'n'butter-type, just-get-the-job-done game.

Deron Williams was never very creative, and that's what I think Wade Baldwin is, he doesn't have a creative flashy game, he just gets the job done. 

I agree w/ the Williams comp. The big difference is that Williams was always very physical and could finish in the paint. His handle was also much better which allowed for a mid-range game Baldwin doesn't yet have.

Williams was never a burner or esp. explosive vertically, and neither is Baldwin. I think Baldwin will have to develop some grit (& grind) that he hasn't yet shown to be successful. Right now he seems like a PG version of Jordan Adams; slow w/ long, long arms.

It's not really that usual for a raw big men with a perceived high ceiling to be considered a potential lottery pick even if there is no college production to really back it up.  I would say this is largely because big men often take longer to develop then guards and a greater emphasis had been placed on the position.  It's also quite possible that these draft projection sites haven't caught up with the realities of a changing NBA that increasingly values analytics and guard play.

DId you mean to say that it is not unusual or that it is not usual? If you are saying that it is not usual, then I agree. How many 1 and done big men (PF/C) have been selected in the lottery in recent history (say last 5-7 years) without averaging double digit ppg and at least 8 rpg? The only one I can think of is Trey Lyles. 

I get the feeling that that Milwaukee pick at 10 could have been 1 of three people (Maker, Davis, Skal) and that one was Thon. The other two were more than likely going to fall. All it takes is one team to be enthralled with you. In this case you had 1 mystery man and 2 one and doners who didn't do much in college, they went with the mystery man who didn't play college ball. I think that is the reason why Skal and Davis were taken where they were taken. I don't think other teams were that impressed with them, just my opinion. 

With that being said, Davis is young enough to where he can be molded into a solid player. i just see him doing D-League duty next year and not necessarily helping the Grizz to win games.

Deandre Jordan was a raw guy who fell into the second round after being a projected top 10 pick

I think Davis may have the most upside of anyone we have drafted (or acquired on draft day) in a long time. The big problem is traditionally this FO and coaching staff has not shown much of an interest in developing players. Things may change with Fizz in the driver's seat now. I think he has the raw talent, he was a 5 star hs player. My thing with my original statement is that it is a big risk to be a one and doner without much production. Chances of you being taken in the lottery are not that good. He was taken where I would expect a player like him to be taken, same for Jordan, same for Skal. You have examples of people who were overlooked and turned out well like Jordan or  Hassan Whiteside or even a Draymond Green although he was a senior. 

The big question to me is, will this team be patient enough to develop him. He could be a steal and our starting PF in 3 years if things break right or he could be another 2nd round pick who we don't utilize properly and dispose of. 

Not really into grades but I approve of the moves made, last night.

we're all just guessing here. time will tell.

Exactly.

I had not heard of any players we drafted because basketball at the college level is awful.

I did go and look up the guys after the draft and I like what I see.

time will tell no grade

Deandre Jordan was a raw guy who fell into the second round after being a projected top 10 pick

Good comparison.  I looked up Jordan's stats from his one year in college and they are almost identical to Davis'.

Good comparison.  I looked up Jordan's stats from his one year in college and they are almost identical to Davis'.

I hope his free throw shooting isn't almost identical.  Anyway I'm glad was got Davis.  He's a shot blocker, and he's already big and muscular for a guy his age. He could develop into a monster around the rim. It might also help that both he and Zach went to Michigan State.  You know the guy learned good habits under Izzo, and maybe Zach can kinda be like a big brother to him.

Rade Zagorac looks like a great pickup as well.  Just from looking at his highlights on Youtube, he appears to have a pretty strong skill set - good 3 pt shooter, nice size, can handle the ball and can finish strong at the rim.  He's going to be a good one in short order.

Wade Baldwin pretty much had to be picked.  I kinda wanted to go with a more high risk/reward pick, but I'm fine with Baldwin, and anyway, I don't see Conley staying.  PG had to be addressed.  Baldwin may be starting in the opener and he looks to be up to the task. He's good with either hand, can shoot the 3, and finishes strong at the rim (something Conley doesn't do).  

My grade for the Grizzlies draft: A

I would have given A+, but the Chinese guy at 57 is a mystery to me.  We could have gotten another guard, like maybe Cat Barber or AJ English.  Nevertheless, great draft.  Much better than expected.

Wade Baldwin is not going to be starting at PG for us next season unless we are tanking, and I certainly hope that is not the case.

I don't think he will at all barring injuries. I think FA will get an experienced PG as a stop gap like a Jennings or Augustin for one season. 

I don't think he will at all barring injuries. I think FA will get an experienced PG as a stop gap like a Jennings or Augustin for one season. 

I think we'll resign Mike.  I don't know if Munford's contract is just there holding a spot until Chalmers returns from injury or not.  I hope Mario can return to us at some productive level.  If Mike signs with someone else you can bet we're doing some sort of trade for someone with experience.

Some folks are talking as if it will help us in free agency if Mike leaves, like we'll have more money for FAs.  I don't think it will because any money spent on any new free agents has to be under the cap, whereas resigning Mike we can go over the cap.

I think the FO is planning on resigning Conley and bringing over the Kentucky kid (name escapes me now). So, i think it will be Conley getting his usu. mpg and Baldwin getting the leftovers, and Kkid is there like Russ Smith was last year. We won't be signing another PG unless something weird happens.

HARRISON!!! HA! I got it.

Wade Baldwin is not going to be starting at PG for us next season unless we are tanking, and I certainly hope that is not the case.

FO didn't draft the guy to sit on the bench and he's a very athletic kid.  I don't understand why so many on here are so hung up on Conley.  His stats from last year were... not good.  Sub par.  Plus he can't stay healthy.  We don't need to get into a bidding war over Conley.  He's just not worth it, and we don't need some retread running the point.  Time to move on.

FO didn't draft the guy to sit on the bench and he's a very athletic kid.  I don't understand why so many on here are so hung up on Conley.  His stats from last year were... not good.  Sub par.  Plus he can't stay healthy.  We don't need to get into a bidding war over Conley.  He's just not worth it, and we don't need some retread running the point.  Time to move on.

C'mon man, Conley has missed 12 fewer games than Chris Paul since he has been in the league.  Don't act like he's Brandan Wright or something.  Baldwin will not be starting unless they are tanking.

Baldwin slashes to the basket well, most really good slaskers arent very good 3 point shooters but Baldwin is an exception, and on top of that he has a defensive mindset with a high ceiling, this is an exciting pick.... on a side note Baldwin was the highest ranking draftee that would work out for Sacramento ... call me sour grapes but its hard not to root for Joerger to fail and to say Joerger and Sacramento deserve each other

So you think Mike Conley is gone?

I hope his free throw shooting isn't almost identical.  Anyway I'm glad was got Davis.  He's a shot blocker, and he's already big and muscular for a guy his age. He could develop into a monster around the rim. It might also help that both he and Zach went to Michigan State.  You know the guy learned good habits under Izzo, and maybe Zach can kinda be like a big brother to him.

Davis                    60% FT

Jordan                  43% FT 

C'mon man, Conley has missed 12 fewer games than Chris Paul since he has been in the league.  Don't act like he's Brandan Wright or something.  Baldwin will not be starting unless they are tanking.

He rarely misses games but he is banged up a lot and it has a negative effect on his level of play

He rarely misses games but he is banged up a lot and it has a negative effect on his level of play

You can't predict injuries. About 10 years ago they said, and most believed, that Shaun Livingston was a bust and that he would never play in the nba at a high level due to injury. Curry has dealt with injuries--hell, for half his career already.

If getting smashed in the face is all the sudden an indication of Mike's fragile body, I don't know what to say.  

You can't predict injuries. About 10 years ago they said, and most believed, that Shaun Livingston was a bust and that he would never play in the nba at a high level due to injury. Curry has dealt with injuries--hell, for half his career already.

If getting smashed in the face is all the sudden an indication of Mike's fragile body, I don't know what to say.

Lets not try to rewrite history here now. The dude has a thousand nagging injuries every season

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25189784/grizzlies-mike-conleys-full-list-of-injuries-is-ridiculous

His body starts to wear and break down around mid season every year. Mike is a small dude and now he is getting older.

The same people who claim he isn't injury prone because he doesn't actually miss games are the same ones who want to give him a pass for his annual mid season slump because he is banged up