Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Where Are We Competitive Wise In The West?

Making billions of dollars. Probably not something he can do on an iPhone app and a slice of sbarros at the mall.

You got that right.  :)

Making billions of dollars. Probably not something he can do on an iPhone app and a slice of sbarros at the mall.

tell that to l.a clippers and dallas mavs owners, who cares about there teams and FANS

Basically Pera bought the team before he was really secure enough to do it. Wish he would just sell to Fred Smith or something

Hr is in his 30's he is single and owns a NBA team. Do you guys realize how cool he looks when he walks among his peers? No way he is giving that up.

Basically Pera bought the team before he was really secure enough to do it. Wish he would just sell to Fred Smith or something

When Pera made his offer for the team he had plenty of money. By the time it came to close the deal his stock equity had diminished substantially. It has since recovered to levels above where it was when he made the original offer. 

Pera's financial situation has nothing to do with his lack of attention to the team. He's just caught up in his business over his hobby right now. 

When Pera made his offer for the team he had plenty of money. By the time it came to close the deal his stock equity had diminished substantially. It has since recovered to levels above where it was when he made the original offer.

Pera's financial situation has nothing to do with his lack of attention to the team. He's just caught up in his business over his hobby right now.

Would he pay more attention to his hobby if he had more money in the bank?

Why does it matter that Pera isn't around?  Do we need him to be around?  How would that help anything?

Someone has to own the team and it's him.  Let the basketball people do the basketball stuff.

Why does it matter that Pera isn't around?  Do we need him to be around?  How would that help anything?

Someone has to own the team and it's him.  Let the basketball people do the basketball stuff.

The problem is that he hasn't hired a good basketball top gun

Would he pay more attention to his hobby if he had more money in the bank?

I don't know. I do believe that his company is his first love and the team comes second. 

I doubt he loves business meetings and conference calls more than attending basketball games. He basically doesn't have time for the Grizzlies right now because he's trying to get his finances in order

I doubt he loves business meetings and conference calls more than attending basketball games. He basically doesn't have time for the Grizzlies right now because he's trying to get his finances in order

Perhaps. His company is under attack right now by some malware. I'm sure that is keeping him busy right now since his company already was scammed out of millions of dollars by some software issues. 

F.A  care, picking a  team that the owner cares and whats to win

For every Cuban (who, by the way, was deeply involved in the premature demolition of a championship team) there are ten Maloofs, Dolans and Sterlings.

The problem with Pera isn't that he is not involved in the day to day of the franchise. The problem is he hasn't established a stable organization with clear goals to execute in his stead.

Fred Smith cares more about Tiger University than the Grizz,. I would think his family, FedEx, and then the Tigers are of more interest to him than the Grizz. I seriously doubt Fred Smith would be interested in buying the Grizz.   Now if your city had an NFL franchise, he might be a major force in it's future in your city.

Imo, The Grizz won't be in your city 5 years from now. The market is just to small and not financially strong enough to justify having a NBA franchise.

Fred Smith cares more about Tiger University than the Grizz,. I would think his family, FedEx, and then the Tigers are of more interest to him than the Grizz. I seriously doubt Fred Smith would be interested in buying the Grizz.   Now if your city had an NFL franchise, he might be a major force in it's future in your city.

Imo, The Grizz won't be in your city 5 years from now. The market is just to small and not financially strong enough to justify having a NBA franchise.

There's actually a history behind Fred Smith and the city's pursuit of an NFL franchise, but it is long and I won't go into it here.  If you're really interested I'll PM you with it.

Suffice it to say, I think you can change that to Fred Smith being unwilling to buy a pro sports franchise, period. At least from one of the premier leagues.  From the standpoint of supporting this city, his focus is on the Tigers, as it needs to be.

There's actually a history behind Fred Smith and the city's pursuit of an NFL franchise, but it is long and I won't go into it here.  If you're really interested I'll PM you with it.

Suffice it to say, I think you can change that to Fred Smith being unwilling to buy a pro sports franchise, period. At least from one of the premier leagues.  From the standpoint of supporting this city, his focus is on the Tigers, as it needs to be.

TKS, but I know the history of your city's trials and tribulations in trying to get an NFL team. Nashville with their willingness to build a new stadium and being more centrally located in your State was a better choice in the NFL eyes. Nashville is a money city and now metro wise almost twice the size of your city. They have validated their selection as a viable NFL city.

I wish you guys well and like your city. But like you wrote in an earlier thread; if the owner (whomever he/she is ) decides to re-locate the team, there is not a whole lot you can do.  It is a business. And businesses generally locate where they deem they can do better financially.

You are right. Mr. Smith should focus on the Tigers. The Tigers have a long history in your city; are well thought of Nationally, and they ain't moving anywhere!   And quite frankly I would bet your city movers and shakers favor the Tigers over the Grizz.

Why does it matter that Pera isn't around? Do we need him to be around? How would that help anything?

Someone has to own the team and it's him. Let the basketball people do the basketball stuff.

Exactly like why does it matter if he comes to the games is that going to make the players play better or something.

You guys are talking like he's a dad that never comes to his sons game so the son doesn't play as well cause he wants to make his dad proud but hes never there.

Come on these are grown men I don't think they should care whether their billionaire owner is sitting court side.

TKS, but I know the history of your city's trials and tribulations in trying to get an NFL team. Nashville with their willingness to build a new stadium and being more centrally located in your State was a better choice in the NFL eyes. Nashville is a money city and now metro wise almost twice the size of your city. They have validated their selection as a viable NFL city.

Errrrr...like I say - there is a whole lot more to that story.

Exactly like why does it matter if he comes to the games is that going to make the players play better or something.

You guys are talking like he's a dad that never comes to his sons game so the son doesn't play as well cause he wants to make his dad proud but hes never there.

Come on these are grown men I don't think they should care whether their billionaire owner is sitting court side.

I've got to agree with you and Granttis on this.  I've never understood why fans would be so obsessed with the owner's presence.  I think that's a more recent thing with the advent of high profile owners like Mark Cuban.  I don't really think that their being at games has any bearing on the outcome.

I've got to agree with you and Granttis on this.  I've never understood why fans would be so obsessed with the owner's presence.  I think that's a more recent thing with the advent of high profile owners like Mark Cuban.  I don't really think that their being at games has any bearing on the outcome.

I guess they care in this situation because there appears to be chaos in the front office and he is the only one with the power to fix it? If things were in order and running smoothly I don't think anyone would care. Most fans notice the name of the GM more frequently than the owner.

I guess they care in this situation because there appears to be chaos in the front office and he is the only one with the power to fix it? If things were in order and running smoothly I don't think anyone would care. Most fans notice the name of the GM more frequently than the owner.

C'mon, Dwash, chaos?  I wouldn't say the situation was ideal or rosy, but chaos?

C'mon, Dwash, chaos?  I wouldn't say the situation was ideal or rosy, but chaos?

Rumors of three different guys possibly calling the shots, big time disagreements with two coaches and another gm that was canned for shiesty behavior = chaos.