6 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

You guys probably do not realise, just how big a locker room cancer Whiteside is.

We have young kids on a team, damage Whiteside can do to a young locker room is massive.

But you do know what goes on in Miami's locker room.

I don't want him either at this point, but we only know bits and pieces.

22 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Ivan's contract is non guaranteed until sometime in July. I was thinking we could trade him to the Lakers for Mo Wagner. The Lakers need to move off of him or Bonga to open up a second max spot so by trading for Rabb and then waiving him they would free up that slot and the Grizz would get Wagner who is 7'0 245 and has better size than Rabb to be the 3rd center. 

I asked Herrington cause it seemed like a reasonable deal and some pretty easy for both sides. I guess the Lakers would have to throw in a second round pick as compensation for helping them out. 

I would take this deal for sure. 

13 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

. one of those deals that will have to wait though. They will need bodies if they get a 3rd guy but they will need room to get him though lol.I guess they could waive rabb but if that's the plan id rather take wagner and bongo into cap room.

Well I don't see how Bonga fits on this team he's kinda in the Giannis role but no where near as elite size wise or athletically. I think Wagner could be useful since he has legit size and is a pick and pop big. He could be low budget Brook Lopez at some point in his career. I just know we're having a hard time figuring Ivan's role and his contract is non guaranteed I'd hate to let him go if we could use him to get something from a team looking to shed salary.

The Lakers want two max slots and they need to move Bonga or Wagner to get there they can fill the rest of the roster with guys that get waived and minimum salary guys. Or they could use the money to get real players to put around Bron and AD.

6 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

I tossed up this as a possible use of the TPE in the other thread, but that means Dillon gets relegated to bench role or less (if Delon plays mins next to Ja). Are you good with this? Pretty much means Dillon is gone.

One reason not to do this, is not to make it easy for the Suns to clear salary to go after DeAngelo. Make the Suns work harder like renouncing Oubre so we could have a crack at him. Or S&T Oubre and fit that in the TPE. Then we could trade either Kyle or Dillon or both for whatever assets we can get.

Our FO was keen on Oubre not too long ago, I'd imagine that hasn't changed, especially after the way Oubre played after he was traded to the Suns

Why would Dillon have to go to the bench?   Tyler can be 8th man or shift Dillon to SF and trade Crowder.  

I am becoming agnostic on Oubre.  I would prefer the Suns 1rst rounder over getting him if i had a choice. 

2 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Well I don't see how Bonga fits on this team he's kinda in the Giannis role but no where near as elite size wise or athletically. I think Wagner could be useful since he has legit size and is a pick and pop big. He could be low budget Brook Lopez at some point in his career. I just know we're having a hard time figuring Ivan's role and his contract is non guaranteed I'd hate to let him go if we could use him to get something from a team looking to shed salary.

The Lakers want two max slots and they need to move Bonga or Wagner to get there they can fill the rest of the roster with guys that get waived and minimum salary guys. Or they could use the money to get real players to put around Bron and AD.

Na I dont want to keep bongo . both into cap space gets us a pick or two and rather do that and cut rabb ourselves if we cant find anything else.

sending rabb isnt à deal breaker but with our tpe we can avoid sending a player out I think.

I think rabb has more value then salary relief but maybe not.

8 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Na I dont want to keep bongo . both into cap space gets us a pick or two and rather do that and cut rabb ourselves if we cant find anything else.

sending rabb isnt à deal breaker but with our tpe we can avoid sending a player out I think.

I think rabb has more value then salary relief but maybe not.

Well we have to trim the roster so Rabb could be a casualty of that or move him for a an available young player that does fill a need on your roster (shooting and another big with size). I don't see Rabb as a fit right now he needs more development with his shot and size, Wagner already comes with both so he just needs refinement.

I doubt it happens cause it's such a fringe deal that no one will even think about it. But I think Mo would be a nice fit  to grow with Jaren Ja Brandon Bruno Dillon and Grayson more so than Ivan would.

Apparently the nets are trying to sign DeAndre Jordan so they might have to move on from either Joe Harris or Dinwiddie. I'd take either one in a heartbeat.

24 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Apparently the nets are trying to sign DeAndre Jordan so they might have to move on from either Joe Harris or Dinwiddie. I'd take either one in a heartbeat.

Both are good players but I still want a first or second round pick 

1 minute ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

Both good players but I still want a first or second round pick 

Id are talking cap room for those 2 we would still have expiring to add some picks later on.

If we are serious about winning next year (at least somewhat), then I think we should go after Joe Harris hard. He's essentially Korver, but 10 years younger. You can start him at the 2 with crowder at the 3, and give Joe the weaker offensive player to defend since he has pretty good size at 6-6. He can stretch the floor as well as anyone in the NBA right now. 

Alternatively, if we just want to get young pieces to go with our core, we could try to get Myles Turner from the Pacers since I believe they will move on from either him or Domas. Crowder and Korver, plus a second rounder might just be enough. He's one of the best young defensive centers in the league, plus can stretch the floor. I'd rather not give up too much to get him though, so depending on the asking price, he might be out.

A nice win-now/build for the future move is that Steven Adams trade. Again Crowder and Korver for Adams and Bazley. Bazley is intriguing at least, looks like he could play SF. Adams is solid, just overpaid. They save 10 million in salary cap space, plus whatever tax bill they will save (way more than 10 million), and get defense and shooting. We get a very good center, and a high upside young guy. 

If Portis somehow gets 16m buckle up cause we going on a wild ride.

7 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Alternatively, if we just want to get young pieces to go with our core, we could try to get Myles Turner from the Pacers since I believe they will move on from either him or Domas. Crowder and Korver, plus a second rounder might just be enough. He's one of the best young defensive centers in the league, plus can stretch the floor. I'd rather not give up too much to get him though, so depending on the asking price, he might be out.

First of all, Pacers are making it clear that they intend to go with both Domas and Myles in starting 5 this year. Only if it does not work out one of them will go on the trade block.

Secondly, your offer is laughable. Myles is 23, one of the best defensive centers in the league, led the league in blocked shots last year, great shooter AND on a very team friendly contract. To get him for straight picks, this year the offer would have been in top3 for Indy to even start thinking about it. Myles is a player that's likely to have multiple All-Star appearances and be a perennial DPOY candidate, and you think we could get him for Crowder (a bit positive contract), Korver (likely to be washed up already, and you can either sign him after he's waived or look for a young shooter), and a second rounder (which is close to nothing)? Please. It'd take Ja or JJJ to get him, which defeats the purpose of such trade.

Here's a good breakdown of our cap situation by Chris Herrington:

Roster/payroll reset
Let’s establish the team’s full roster and payroll situation relative to the NBA’s projected salary cap and luxury tax lines. Since we first did this two months ago, the Grizzlies have traded away their biggest contract (and best player) and have added five new players to the roster.

Here’s where things currently stand, all salaries rounded/estimated for legibility, and all expressed in millions.

Chandler Parsons - $25.1
Jonas Valanciunas - $24.8 (free agent cap hold)
Avery Bradley - $12.9 ($2 million partial guarantee)
Kyle Anderson - $9.1
CJ Miles - $8.7
Ja Morant - $8.7 (rookie scale estimate)
Jae Crowder - $7.8
Kyle Korver - $7.5 ($3.4 partial guarantee)
Jaren Jackson Jr. - $6.9
Justin Holiday - $5.7 (free agent cap hold)
Delon Wright - $3.6 (restricted free agent qualifying offer)
Brandon Clarke - $2.5 (rookie scale estimate)
Grayson Allen - $2.4
Bruno Caboclo - $1.8 (non-guaranteed)
Tyler Dorsey - $1.8 (restricted free agent qualifying offer)
Dillon Brooks - $1.6 (non-guaranteed)
Ivan Rabb - $1.6 (non-guaranteed)
Joakim Noah - $1.6 (free agent cap hold)
Jevon Carter - $1.4
Dakari Johnson - $0.5 (waived player, dead money)
Total Preliminary Salary - $136.2
Projected NBA Salary Cap - $109.0
Projected Salary Cap Space - None
Projected NBA Luxury Tax - $132.0

Projected Luxury Tax Space - -$4.2 (to begin)
You might be surprised to see the Grizzlies projected above the luxury tax line even after trading away Conley. But that’s only an initial accounting figure. That number will quickly flip into the black in the coming weeks.

If the Grizzlies re-signed Valanciunas to a new contract starting at -- just to throw out a conservative number -- $15 million and bought out Bradley for $2 million, then the team payroll would quickly cut down to around $115 million, far enough under the tax to re-sign Wright and still be able to use the mid-level exception ($9.2 million) in outside free agency and/or make some use of the Conley trade exception (roughly $25 million).

If the Grizzlies renounce rights to Holiday and Noah or those players sign elsewhere -- which seems likely if not certain -- then the cap sheet would drop to about $108 million. (The Grizzlies likely will want to stay above the salary cap line this summer to preserve their cap exceptions, so order of operations will likely matter.) With so many other players on partially guaranteed contracts (Korver, Rabb, Caboclo, Brooks) or subject to uncertain qualifying offers (Dorsey), there’s more room for fluctuation.

Also, here are some upcoming deadlines:

Saturday, June 29 - Qualifying offer deadline for Delon Wright and Tyler Dorsey
Wednesday, July 3 - Avery Bradley’s contract fully guarantees
Friday, July 5 - Dillon Brooks’ contract fully guarantees
Sunday, July 7 - Kyle Korver’s contract fully guarantees
Wednesday, July 10 - Bruno Caboclo’s contract partially guarantees
Monday, July 15 - Ivan Rabb’s contract fully guarantees

Bradley has to be cut to save that $10 mil or so. JV can't sign for more than $14 mil per in my book, I would offer 3 or 4 years at $13 mil per average. I'd waive Korver and guarantee everybody else. Then we need to flip CJ Miles for cap space or a second rounder or something. Dorsey's QO s only like $1.8 mil. After we do all of that, we need to go all out to trade Chancun's contract. There are always rebuilding teams looking for dead salary to make the floor. if we can't do that by end of July, just release him and move forward. Then we could use the MLE on a halfway decent bench player similar to Anderson. 

i've been off the grid the last couple of days. Anybody hear about this proposed trade?

There has been some very non-confirmed reporting this week about a Grizzlies-Miami trade for center Hassan Whiteside. I’m pretty skeptical on that, but there are all kinds of things that could happen with the Heat, who are probably tied with the Hornets for most contracts they don’t want and who are already facing luxury tax issues.

I don't see why we would do that. He just picked up his $27.1 mil option. We couldn't even use the TPE to absorb him.  that's a lot of cash for us to take on knowing there's a good chance we may not make the playoffs next year.

17 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

i've been off the grid the last couple of days. Anybody hear about this proposed trade?

I don't see why we would do that. He just picked up his $27.1 mil option. We couldn't even use the TPE to absorb him.  that's a lot of cash for us to take on knowing there's a good chance we may not make the playoffs next year.

The proposed trade is a straight swap of Parsons for Whiteside. Not sure which team is proposing it but it gets Whiteside out of Miami (which both him and Miami want) and it gets us a high quality player instead of Parsons.

I'm indifferent. I don't think it really effects the franchise in any way.

2 minutes ago, BTiger3733 said:

The proposed trade is a straight swap of Parsons for Whiteside. Not sure which team is proposing it but it gets Whiteside out of Miami (which both him and Miami want) and it gets us a high quality player instead of Parsons.

I'm indifferent. I don't think it really effects the franchise in any way.

Hmm, interesting. OK, Not sure why they would take back Parsons contract. Whiteside only has a 1 year option so it would fall off the books after this season anyway. I mean, Whiteside would help more than Parsons but we could re-sign JV for less money, probably roughly half of that (albeit for a longer term but he would be tradeable) and get good production, maybe not the rebounding, blocking and athleticism of Whiteside but more points and a better pnr and pnp player. The difference is slight and I don't think it's worth at least $10 mil more per season to get Whiteside over JV although getting rid of the Parsons stench may count for something. I pretty ambivalent on this. 

2 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Hmm, interesting. OK, Not sure why they would take back Parsons contract. Whiteside only has a 1 year option so it would fall off the books after this season anyway. I mean, Whiteside would help more than Parsons but we could re-sign JV for less money, probably roughly half of that (albeit for a longer term but he would be tradeable) and get good production, maybe not the rebounding, blocking and athleticism of Whiteside but more points and a better pnr and pnp player. The difference is slight and I don't think it's worth at least $10 mil more per season to get Whiteside over JV although getting rid of the Parsons stench may count for something. I pretty ambivalent on this. 

Whiteside for parson would save them enough  to s&t for jimmy or really close to it.

2 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Whiteside for parson would save them enough  to s&t for jimmy or really close to it.

Why would we want Jimmy Butler and why would he want to come here? We're rebuilding, he's trying to win now. Minny is more advanced than we are now and he didn't fit in well there. He would hinder the progress of Ja and JJJ in my opinion because he would take all of the shots and in general just dominate the team. Have no interest in bringing in a guy like that. Let him go to some dumpster fire of vets who think they can win now like the Lakers or Rockets.

To your point though, doing this trade (which sounds highly unlikely) would give us more cap flexibility because we in essence trade money for money and then we wouldn't re-sign JV as opposed to keeping Chancun's contract on the books AND adding JV back. 

Whiteside would require some serious homework from the FO to satisfy themselves that he's not going to be a horrendous influence on a young team. If he's not going to be a bad influence I'd quite like the move, if we consider Parsons useless you're essentially getting a backup centre for $2m and it maybe gives some leverage in a JV deal, or let's the FO explore how else that JV money could be put to use. 

15 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Why would we want Jimmy Butler and why would he want to come here? We're rebuilding, he's trying to win now. Minny is more advanced than we are now and he didn't fit in well there. He would hinder the progress of Ja and JJJ in my opinion because he would take all of the shots and in general just dominate the team. Have no interest in bringing in a guy like that. Let him go to some dumpster fire of vets who think they can win now like the Lakers or Rockets.

To your point though, doing this trade (which sounds highly unlikely) would give us more cap flexibility because we in essence trade money for money and then we wouldn't re-sign JV as opposed to keeping Chancun's contract on the books AND adding JV back. 

My bad . it saves the heat enough $ to s & t for jimmy . Heat are offering a protected  1st.

It would only be one year of Whiteside he's been in Miami how long are those guys problems in the league now. I think the whole he's a bad locker room guy is over blown. We would still have the other vets like Crowder Miles Anderson Wright. Whitesides locker room impact for one season 

4 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

Whiteside would require some serious homework from the FO to satisfy themselves that he's not going to be a horrendous influence on a young team. If he's not going to be a bad influence I'd quite like the move, if we consider Parsons useless you're essentially getting a backup centre for $2m and it maybe gives some leverage in a JV deal, or let's the FO explore how else that JV money could be put to use. 

i doubt that Whiteside would be a backup here. Part of his gripe with the Heat is that they moved him to the bench. Is the bench a better place for him and his style, probably so but he's not going to be happy being a bench player on a rebuilding team. I don't see why we would trade for a 30 year old making $27.1 mil to come off of the bench. Sure, we get rid of a 30 year old Parsons making $25 mil to do nothing but I don't see Whiteside being happy coming off of the bench behind JV. It would be a disaster waiting to happen for Ja and JJJ's development and locker room chemistry.