1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

its the roster moves i would make.   I haven't heard anything. 

So, it's just wishful thinking?  You don't want Jonas?

I wonder if not having a HC here yet is making JV wait till the last second

with kd more than likely missing all of next season, what does that do to the top available guys, including mike?

never like to see a guy get injured. im certainly not a huge fan of kd, but respect him big time and hate this for him. 

what does this blown achilles do to shake things up.. or, business as usual- kd still travels (in a boot) this summer to another locale?

slim. 

19 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

with kd more than likely missing all of next season, what does that do to the top available guys, including mike?

never like to see a guy get injured. im certainly not a huge fan of kd, but respect him big time and hate this for him. 

what does this blown achilles do to shake things up.. or, business as usual- kd still travels (in a boot) this summer to another locale?

slim. 

Good question. Still think KD is out no matter what. It would be interesting to see if he just opts in next year just to get his money and signs somewhere next year, or if he just picks a team this year. That's still assuming it's a torn achilles or acl, which tbf is what it looked like, but that's what I thought the first time too. 

Since the Warriors dynasty is over (still good, but not unbeatable), should we try to go all in for a year or two? Demar Derozan is apparently on the block, and they are just looking to get cap space for him seemingly to go after other free agents. 

In order for us to do that, we'd have to waive Avery and waive and stretch Parsons. That'd free up about 27 million, to get us around 87 million in total salary. We'd have to use the trade exception we got from Temple, and/or send Miles back to them. They'd get 20-27 million back in cap space, we'd get another bordline all-star to go with Mike, Delon, Ja, Jaren, JV, Kyle, and whoever else. I think we would try to bring back Noah and Holiday on reasonable deals as well. 

That would make our lineup something like this:

Mike/Ja or Delon

Holiday/Delon or Brooks

Demar/Kyle or Brooks

JJJ/Bruno

JV/Noah or Rabb/Zeller

You can be super versatile with this team though as well, Ja could start at the 2, Kyle could start at the 3 with Demar at the 2. I think you have a good mix of rebounding, defense, shooting, playmaking, scoring. Obviously there's pros and cons to this deal. We'd be stuck with Parsons deal for 2 extra years. It potentially doesn't make us true championship contenders (I personally think we'd at least be in the discussion, maybe 4th best in the West). Worse comes to worse, we could try to flip Conley and Demar for assets if it doesn't work out. 

Might be a pipe dream, but I think it's at least worth discussing. 

7 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Since the Warriors dynasty is over (still good, but not unbeatable), should we try to go all in for a year or two? Demar Derozan is apparently on the block, and they are just looking to get cap space for him seemingly to go after other free agents. 

In order for us to do that, we'd have to waive Avery and waive and stretch Parsons. That'd free up about 27 million, to get us around 87 million in total salary. We'd have to use the trade exception we got from Temple, and/or send Miles back to them. They'd get 20-27 million back in cap space, we'd get another bordline all-star to go with Mike, Delon, Ja, Jaren, JV, Kyle, and whoever else. I think we would try to bring back Noah and Holiday on reasonable deals as well. 

Mike/Ja or Delon

Holiday/Delon or Brooks

Demar/Kyle or Brooks

JJJ/Bruno

JV/Noah or Rabb/Zeller

You can be super versatile with this team though as well, Ja could start at the 2, Kyle could start at the 3 with Demar at the 2. I think you have a good mix of rebounding, defense, shooting, playmaking, scoring. Obviously there's pros and cons to this deal. We'd be stuck with Parsons deal for 2 extra years. It potentially doesn't make us true championship contenders (I personally think we'd at least be in the discussion, maybe 4th best in the West). Worse comes to worse, we could try to flip Conley and Demar for assets if it doesn't work out. 

With a future combo of Jaren/Ja in place, sure why not go for it.  As long as we don't vastly overpay some overrated free agent or trade away all our young rotation guys and draft picks (a particular Grizzly special) then you don't really lose anything but attempting to jump start a potential playoff run.  Championship "windows" might be smaller now anyway with the screwy drafts and zany free agency.  

4 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Mike/Ja or Delon

Holiday/Delon or Brooks

Demar/Kyle or Brooks

JJJ/Bruno

JV/Noah or Rabb/Zeller

It's an intriguing proposition (DeRozan) but if we are serious about it, he's got to play at SG, he ain't no SF, and trying to fit him in to that position just so you can hold on to Holiday and Brooks is ludicrous. You need to forget about those two. Holiday is let go, and Brooks becomes part of any trade needed to get it done.

Mike (temporary)/Ja/???

DeRozan/Delon/Dorsey

Anderson/Bruno/???

Jaren/Bruno/Rabb

JV/Noah/Rabb/Zeller

is a bit closer to what I'd be looking at

Be patient and see what shakes out of the tree on a Mike deal, but I'm on the record for not wanting a MIA, DET, UTA, TWolves deal just for the sake of making a deal

7 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Mike/Ja or Delon

Holiday/Delon or Brooks

Demar/Kyle or Brooks

JJJ/Bruno

JV/Noah or Rabb/Zeller

I think that team might be able to win 50 games but would still one tier below the contenders. It's basically the pre-Kawhi Raptors. But it would certainly be more fun to watch than winning 25 games.

Uhmmm nope guys.  No more shortcuts and the FO stated they will no longer be reactive.    Last time i checked Philly will be a beast.  Giannis is gonna be a beast and Kawhi will be sitting on the Iron Throne.    

Embrace the rebuild and no more short sighted moves just to squeeze out a 1rst rd loss.   If Kawhi, Giannis or KD suddenly say they want to be a Grizzly then sure figure it out.   But for Demar Derozan, really!?!?

40 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Uhmmm nope guys.  No more shortcuts and the FO stated they will no longer be reactive.    Last time i checked Philly will be a beast.  Giannis is gonna be a beast and Kawhi will be sitting on the Iron Throne.    

Embrace the rebuild and no more short sighted moves just to squeeze out a 1rst rd loss.   If Kawhi, Giannis or KD suddenly say they want to be a Grizzly then sure figure it out.   But for Demar Derozan, really!?!?

It's a guy we can get without having to give much of anything up. Big time free agents will never sign here unfortunately. 

You mentioned philly, Milwaukee, and Toronto, all eastern conference teams. In the west there's Denver, Portland, and the warriors without Durant, and possibly the Lakers or clippers pending free agency. None of those teams are unbeatable by any means. 

If you got past them got into the finals against one of those good eastern conference teams, you never know what could happen. No one gave Toronto much of a shot, yet here they are. 

The move still might not be wise, but I think it just depends on what you could get for Mike Conley. If nothing sets us up for long term success, then demar might be a better option. 

4 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

It's an intriguing proposition (DeRozan) but if we are serious about it, he's got to play at SG, he ain't no SF, and trying to fit him in to that position just so you can hold on to Holiday and Brooks is ludicrous. You need to forget about those two. Holiday is let go, and Brooks becomes part of any trade needed to get it done.

Mike (temporary)/Ja/???

DeRozan/Delon/Dorsey

Anderson/Bruno/???

Jaren/Bruno/Rabb

JV/Noah/Rabb/Zeller

is a bit closer to what I'd be looking at

Be patient and see what shakes out of the tree on a Mike deal, but I'm on the record for not wanting a MIA, DET, UTA, TWolves deal just for the sake of making a deal

DeRozan played 75% of his time at SF this year. He's 6-7 so he's got the size for either position. The main reason I say bring back holiday is because his strengths are 3 point shooting (allegedly) and defense, which just so happens to be DeRozan's weaknesses. Give holiday the harder defensive matchup and allow him to spread the floor. Brooks could theoretically do the same thing. Kyle can't shoot, so him and DeRozan wouldn't be great, but defensively it's the same concept as holiday. Kyle gets the tougher matchup. 

No to Derozan. Bruno, Dillon and the wing we get from the Conley trade needs to play most of the wing minutes next year 

12 minutes ago, Allen said:

No to Derozan. Bruno, Dillon and the wing we get from the Conley trade needs to play most of the wing minutes next year 

This. We're planning for a TITLE run around 2022 not a first or second round exit next season.

It's time to be forward thinking, fellas.

11 hours ago, Allen said:

How can you possibly state this without knowing a) IF we will get a wing in the deal, and b) whether or not said player will be worthy of those minutes.

On 6/9/2019 at 8:34 AM, First Team All Memphis said:

what til the last second as in when?

He has until Thursday to pick up or decline his option. 

18 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

How can you possibly state this without knowing a) IF we will get a wing in the deal, and b) whether or not said player will be worthy of those minutes.

Because it doesn’t make sense to bring in anything other than  win and he will play due to politics and development 

34 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Guys on radio talking about MLE at most for JV if he opts out.

Exactly what he’s worth. If he’s willing to take the mle and come off the bench then I’m fine with bringing him back 

In what world do you not have to give up much to get an AllStar in his prime...from a playoff team?

On 6/11/2019 at 9:41 AM, Rdk4121 said:

It's a guy we can get without having to give much of anything up. Big time free agents will never sign here unfortunately. 

You mentioned philly, Milwaukee, and Toronto, all eastern conference teams. In the west there's Denver, Portland, and the warriors without Durant, and possibly the Lakers or clippers pending free agency. None of those teams are unbeatable by any means. 

If you got past them got into the finals against one of those good eastern conference teams, you never know what could happen. No one gave Toronto much of a shot, yet here they are. 

The move still might not be wise, but I think it just depends on what you could get for Mike Conley. If nothing sets us up for long term success, then demar might be a better option. 

In what world do you not have to give up much to get an AllStar in his prime...from a playoff team? The Grizzlies don’t have the assets, or rather would be idiotic to give up the assets it would take to get Derozen. 

On 6/11/2019 at 7:39 AM, memphis slim said:

slim. 

I suspect Durant will opt in on the final year of his contract with Golden State now which puts the Warriors in trouble financially.

re Memphis center position and my vantage point, the 5 position could be a BIG hole for years.  Although he had a resurgence this year, Noah is near the end of his career...just an age thing not desire. Nobody knows if JV will opt-in, but if he goes...were exposed huge.  JJJ is going to make his career on the wing...he is not a center even in the positionless world.  Bruno is a not option.  To compare, Raptors have nearly $50M in salary for two centers, Gasol and Ibaka which gives Nurse ability to match any scenario.

Despite so many threads that say its easy position to fill, it isn't.  Retreads are more miss than hit.  If JV leaves, he departs in the center role taking his ability to setting screens (arguably top 5), boards on both ends (arguably top 5-10), inside scoring game (arguably 5-10), protecting the room (arguably 5-10), and physicality (arguably top 5).

Hmm..and he is just 27.  Team guy.  Apologizes to hit teamates when he sets bad screen, and in a revised memphis role probably guarantees a double/double in 90% of games.....these guys are available everywhere...really?  I guess we will find out.

5 hours ago, King Dork said:

In what world do you not have to give up much to get an AllStar in his prime...from a playoff team?

In what world do you not have to give up much to get an AllStar in his prime...from a playoff team? The Grizzlies don’t have the assets, or rather would be idiotic to give up the assets it would take to get Derozen. 

Because they want cap space. Think about this for a second, Brooklyn just gave up two 1st rounds picks to get off Allen Crabbe, who expired this year anyway. Why? Cap space. DeRozan is a good player, but if they really want cap space, and we wanted to win now, we could certainly accommodate. That's all assuming a lot, but it is just a scenario to consider.