1 hour ago, Dwash said:

And I still wouldnt trade JJJ for him plus those Clipper picks plus Pat Beverly even if it unloads Parsons deal. I bet the Clippers would be loving that deal too despite what Harris is doing. In a year we would have yet another fringe Allstar on a max deal. Seen that enough. Dont tell half the story and leave the other part out.

So Harris couldn't help this team? Fringe all-stars aren't good enough for teh Grizz now?

It all depends on the team strategy going forward  and I don't think this FO has one. Beverly would have solved our problem at backup PG, Harris would have solved our problem as far as a scorer and we could have moved Anderson to stretch 4 with JaM off of the bench and gotten rid of Parsons and all of his drama as well. It just depends on how the team wanted to move forward but I don't think they know how they want to move forward. By the time JJ turns into who people on this board thinks he could be, Gasola nd Conley will be done with and we will have no help. i have zero faith in this fo to make the right moves 

32 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

So Harris couldn't help this team? Fringe all-stars aren't good enough for teh Grizz now?

It all depends on the team strategy going forward  and I don't think this FO has one. Beverly would have solved our problem at backup PG, Harris would have solved our problem as far as a scorer and we could have moved Anderson to stretch 4 with JaM off of the bench and gotten rid of Parsons and all of his drama as well. It just depends on how the team wanted to move forward but I don't think they know how they want to move forward. By the time JJ turns into who people on this board thinks he could be, Gasola nd Conley will be done with and we will have no help. i have zero faith in this fo to make the right moves 

Yeah he could "help" the Grizzlies continue to be a solid first round out team this year. Then suck up 25-30% of the cap for the next 5 years as they fall out the playoff picture completely. Sure. I personally would not be interested in that scenario. Thats just me. We need a full rebuild and JJJ could potentially be at the head of that project.

If we dont know our direction as you say JJJ gives the next GM something to work with.

4 hours ago, Grizball said:

The Knicks has some contracts they want to offload, like Lee's, Hardaway's and Thomas's, but will the Knicks trade Ntilikina just to get off one of those? I don't know. The young kid has some trade value and could possibly net them a protected 1st. I would not mind taking Lee or Hardaway along with Ntilikina but I think NY would want more in return, not just some expiring contracts.

Hardaway has more value than Lee. Lee doesn't really have much at all, plus he's on a relatively bad contract that goes through next year. They'd have to attach a pick to get rid of him normally. 

7 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm still not in the "tank" crew, but we do need to make a move or some sort. Obviously getting Fournier or Hardaway is what we want, that and just getting anything at all for Parsons. Either way, we need some good young assets.

Maybe we should go after Courtney Lee and Frank Ntilikina for JaM and Temple. Salaries match up, New York saves 16 million for next year, we get an okay role player and an intriguing young Combo guard. JaM is still good, but honestly Temple isn't any better than CLee right now anyway. Neither side would have to give up picks either. 

I'd still probably prefer Hardaway, but CLee isn't bad, and if we are going to have to eat Parsons contract anyway, might as well get what we can get without any cap room. Both come off the books at the same time, or we can just use CLee as an expiring contract next year. 

Throw in Shelvin Mack and i'd be down with this.    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7pcbu84

JaM+Mack+Temple for Clee +Frank  saves us almost an extra mil and frees up another roster spot so that we can be buyers's in the buyout market.  

Courtney Lee is actually a proven starter and better shooter/scorer over Temple.  Frank N is a young combo guard that can be developed.  I agree with your logic that the capspace he provides coming off books at same time could be valuable.   I almost prefer this trade over the Tim Hardaway proposal due to not being locked in to CLee longterm. 

Let's be honest about the fact that we have no other young perimeter prospects on roster or ways to obtain one outside the lottery.   If plan is to give up pick this year then there is a real possibility the team may be better next year and still avoid the lottery in 2020.     So its better to take those same 2 years and try to develop Frank into a good piece (or asset) in the meanwhile.    Otherwise we will still be hoping that Dillon can be that dude (who will be 24y by then).    

Big bonus is that FO removes all of JB's security blankets that are in the way of Jaren and developing young guys.   Removing JaM, Mack, and GT.  Will force JB to give minutes back to Jaren, Jevon, and possibly Rabb.    

Anybody worrying about losing them will hurt our chances at getting rid of pick is delusional.   JaM is the only one that will be missed and we already saw during 12-5 run that we can do fine without him.   Big Man rotation will be Marc, Jaren, Noah, Rabb with Kyle and Omri able to play the 4 too.   

It’s a debate if we should just trade for long term hefty contracts to be more competitive or just do a total rebuild after Mike and Marc contracts run up. I guess it all depends on who we are trading for. I think Wallace is leaning towards finding a taker for Parsons contract and take on a bigger and longer one. He will try to make this team stay competitive as long as Mike and Marc are still here because he doesn’t want to trade them and so that’s his only option.

Speaking on taking long term contracts back for Parsons: https://clutchpoints.com/heat-rumors-miami-reporter-suggests-miami-could-flip-contracts-for-cap-space-before-nba-trade-deadline/

I think the Heat will be willing to trade players for future cap space. I’ll give you one, trade for Chandler Parsons, not to play him, but he only has two years left on his deal. If you make a deal like that, James Johnson, three years left. Kelly Olynyk, three years left. Dion [Waiters] three years left. You could have more money for 2020 free agency. So instead of flipping them for a star, I could see by the trade deadline, the Heat flipping some of those contracts for salary cap space.

- Ian Winderman

I think I would do Waiters, Olynyk, maybe a 2nd if we can get it for Parsons. 

Gives us two young-ish players to work with that are certainly rotation players. Olynyk could be a true backup 5 for us, but can also play the 4. He's pretty good defensively. Waiters is the scoring spark plug off the bench for us. I think if this deal comes up, we should take it. Solves a lot of our current issues, plus those contracts at 11-13 million are much easier to trade than one at 25 million.

Obviously we take on more money for longer, but no Max level free agent is going to come here that doesn't have some sort of flaw (Parsons). Again, it's one extra year for players that can actually play, and wouldn't be that difficult to trade. Plus we improve the roster without giving up Temple and JaM. 

25 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Speaking on taking long term contracts back for Parsons: https://clutchpoints.com/heat-rumors-miami-reporter-suggests-miami-could-flip-contracts-for-cap-space-before-nba-trade-deadline/

- Ian Winderman

Gives us two young-ish players to work with that are certainly rotation players. Olynyk could be a true backup 5 for us, but can also play the 4. He's pretty good defensively. Waiters is the scoring spark plug off the bench for us. I think if this deal comes up, we should take it. Solves a lot of our current issues, plus those contracts at 11-13 million are much easier to trade than one at 25 million.

Obviously we take on more money for longer, but no Max level free agent is going to come here that doesn't have some sort of flaw (Parsons). Again, it's one extra year for players that can actually play, and wouldn't be that difficult to trade. Plus we improve the roster without giving up Temple and JaM. 

I would take that at this point 

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

- Ian Winderman

i would take Waiters and Olynk. We need mildly useful depth.

7 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

- Ian Winderman

I can see the heat doing that next year or possibly in summer, but why shoot themselves in the foot this year?

I'd take Waiters and Olynk.   Olynk is a good fit beside JJJ because he can defend decently and space the floor.  Basically Marc Gasol without offensive ran thru him.    Waiters is a legit scorer whenever he is healthy.    Pretty much better scorer than any wing on our roster.  

8 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I'd take Waiters and Olynk.   Olynk is a good fit beside JJJ because he can defend decently and space the floor.  Basically Marc Gasol without offensive ran thru him.    Waiters is a legit scorer whenever he is healthy.    Pretty much better scorer than any wing on our roster.  

The grizzlies are not going to trade Parsons for marginal players on long contracts. We don't have the space for that. Besides, Olynk is as soft as a baby's bottom.

At this point, if we trade Chandler, it needs to be for a decent young player. 

5 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies are not going to trade Parsons for marginal players on long contracts. We don't have the space for that. Besides, Olynk is as soft as a baby's bottom.

At this point, if we trade Chandler, it needs to be for a decent young player. 

Nobody will give us a young player for Chandler.   All we can get is bad contracts.    Olynk and Waiters are actual real NBA players with skills that can help any rotation.   I am not championing this move but i would be fine with it.   I always thought Waiters was a solid player. 

17 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I can see the heat doing that next year or possibly in summer, but why shoot themselves in the foot this year?

Yeah and both teams are hovering around the tax line right now.

But yeah next offseason I would hope its on the table. 

22 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Nobody will give us a young player for Chandler.   All we can get is bad contracts.    Olynk and Waiters are actual real NBA players with skills that can help any rotation.   I am not championing this move but i would be fine with it.   I always thought Waiters was a solid player. 

I'm not sure either, but lets look at it from the perspective of each individual year (assume different trading dates):

Trade this year: I'd probably take those 3 players

Trade off-season: Year 1, I'd be happy the next year.  Year 2, I would probably prefer the cap space.

Trade mid-season next year: I'd probably choose to let Parsons expire.

8 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm not sure either, but lets look at it from the perspective of each individual year (assume different trading dates):

Trade this year: I'd probably take those 3 players

Trade off-season: Year 1, I'd be happy the next year.  Year 2, I would probably prefer the cap space.

Trade mid-season next year: I'd probably choose to let Parsons expire.

I can roll with you here.    As time goes on I am less opposed to tanking this year and keeping our top 8 pick.  I am beginning to think the sooner we get Jaren a running mate the better.    Like someone else mentioned before.   Jaren may be good enough in 2 years to keep us out the lottery anyway.   This could be the last time for a while we have opportunity to infuse high lottery talent on roster.   I don't want to be a lottery team when Jaren is 22y.

13 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I can roll with you here.    As time goes on I am less opposed to tanking this year and keeping our top 8 pick.  I am beginning to think the sooner we get Jaren a running mate the better.    Like someone else mentioned before.   Jaren may be good enough in 2 years to keep us out the lottery anyway.   This could be the last time for a while we have opportunity to infuse high lottery talent on roster.   I don't want to be a lottery team when Jaren is 22y.

Yeah, if the lottery is a goal, hold onto Parsons next year, and use his cap space and avoid usable players.

Honestly, that's probably what I would suggest.  Tank next year and hold the Parsons contract.

I also don't think those 3 fit all the categories that Wallace wants in now building the team.

1. Smart basketball players

2. Play defense

3. Not yell at them to allow them to play basketball

I would seriously consider trading Parsons to the Brooklyn nets for demarre Carroll or Allen Crabbe and throwing Brooklyn a first-round pick that is heavily protected, like lottery protected for 2021.

This is the kind of deal that Brooklyn loves to do. They trade their cap space for assets.

I know people love first round picks but they're not always as valuable as people think.

We need to do it now what everybody thinks our first round picks are valuable 

10 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

- Ian Winderman

This is a reasonable deal they'd have to consider, but if they could manage to get Josh Richardson instead of either of those two players, thats something you would HAVE to do.

50 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I would seriously consider trading Parsons to the Brooklyn nets for demarre Carroll or Allen Crabbe and throwing Brooklyn a first-round pick that is heavily protected, like lottery protected for 2021.

This is the kind of deal that Brooklyn loves to do. They trade their cap space for assets.

I know people love first round picks but they're not always as valuable as people think.

We need to do it now what everybody thinks our first round picks are valuable 

First round picks are not valuable when Chris Wallace is your GM.

No to Carroll (our former first round pick btw who didn't last). Yes on Crabbe. Dude shoots .395 from 3pt for his career playing a substantial amount of games and minutes. We desperately need 3pt shooting.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:02 AM, Dwash said:

Yeah he could "help" the Grizzlies continue to be a solid first round out team this year. Then suck up 25-30% of the cap for the next 5 years as they fall out the playoff picture completely. Sure. I personally would not be interested in that scenario. Thats just me. We need a full rebuild and JJJ could potentially be at the head of that project.

If we dont know our direction as you say JJJ gives the next GM something to work with.

We need to draft a 1a (or make Jaren the 1a) ASAP, but that I mean, TANK, and get Zion or RJ or Morant or somebody.  Then get our 3rd option in 2021.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

We need to draft a 1a (or make Jaren the 1a) ASAP, but that I mean, TANK, and get Zion or RJ or Morant or somebody.  Then get our 3rd option in 2021.

1. We're likely to not get any of those 3 if we do that.

2. Boston could own the pick in 2021, unprotected.

The Grizzlies sit 10th in the draft right now, and the easier part of the schedule is after the trade deadline.  While it is likely they work their way to a better pick, and probably will draft the worst possible spot (8th), it is extremely unlikely they can get down to 4, and are at the point of just hoping to win the lottery.

Boston owning that pick is harming the FO ability to do future deals, which is probably fine, but I'd rather have the 2021.

2 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

This is a reasonable deal they'd have to consider, but if they could manage to get Josh Richardson instead of either of those two players, thats something you would HAVE to do.

I would love Richardson, but there's 0% chance we could get him. He's their best player and building block moving forward. No way they will get rim of him. They wouldn't even trade him for Butler. 

Why are we in such a hurry to move on from Parson's contract to the extent some are willing to give up a future 1st to do it?

Are we signing a big time free agent next year? I say we remain patient and turn that contract into an asset for next season's trade deadline.

3 hours ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Why are we in such a hurry to move on from Parson's contract to the extent some are willing to give up a future 1st to do it?

Are we signing a big time free agent next year? I say we remain patient and turn that contract into an asset for next season's trade deadline.

I agree with this.  Besides, Parsons supposedly wants to play so why would you go out of your way to make Parsons and his agent happy, even at the expense of your future.

We are under no obligation to find him another team to play on.